Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.6M Macs, 5.2M iPhones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that third-quarter profits rose nearly 15 percent to $1.23 billion, or $1.35 per diluted share, on record non-holiday quarter sales of $8.34 billion for the three-month period ended June 27, 2009.

These results compare to revenue of $7.46 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.07 billion, or $1.19 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.3 percent, up from 34.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 44 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple sold 2.6 million Macs during the quarter, representing a four percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter and the best ever June quarter in its history for personal computer sales. The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing a seven percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhones sold were 5.2 million, representing 626 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.

"We're making our most innovative products ever and our customers are responding," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're thrilled to have sold over 5.2 million iPhones during the quarter and users have downloaded more than 1.5 billion applications from our App Store in its first year."

In accordance with the subscription accounting treatment required by GAAP, Apple recognizes revenue and cost of goods sold for iPhone and Apple TV over their estimated economic lives. Adjusting GAAP sales and product costs to eliminate the impact of subscription accounting, the corresponding non-GAAP measures for the quarter were $9.74 billion of "Adjusted Sales" and $1.94 billion of "Adjusted Net Income."

"We're extremely pleased to report record non-holiday quarter revenue and earnings and quarterly cash flow from operations of $2.3 billion," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2009, we expect revenue in the range of about $8.7 billion to $8.9 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $1.18 to $1.23."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q3 2009 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PST today. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    AARG!

I was on Apple's site and wanted to be the one to report this, but couldn't get back in to AI.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

AARG!

I was on Apple's site and wanted to be the one to report this, but couldn't get back in to AI.

You'll get over it.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Wow, I mean, wow.

Nice numbers, especially the number of Macs and iPhones - blows the analysts out of the water (as pretty much every quarter).

Nice work
  • Reply 4 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You'll get over it.

Never!
  • Reply 5 of 50
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Maybe Steve should take leaves of absence more often.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Something weird is happening. Apple stock is going up after Apple announced a good quarter. That isn't right.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Something must be wrong... 4% more Macs? You mean, this guy was wrong?
  • Reply 8 of 50
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Flippin' incredible.

Anyone care to whip up a table comparing analyst expectations with actual results, just to see how far off they were?

And Apple - looksie what happens when you make your products that little bit cheaper.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Apple says 02pm PDT, not PST.

Edit: Which should be now, right?
  • Reply 10 of 50
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Chairs are flying somewhere in Seattle.

MS seriously needs to can the FUD campaign against Apple. It isn't working. And looks like it isn't going to.

And wasn't Apple's previous quarter their best non-holiday quarter? So it seems they set a new record.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I thought Apple was doomed!!
  • Reply 12 of 50
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Never!

Mel you'll always be our number one . i will look here for YOUR take on the APPLE report .

THE MEL REPORT WE WILL CALL IT .

Some soothing santana should help with a goblet of ruffino red wine and some frozen grapes.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Chairs are flying somewhere in Seattle.

MS seriously needs to can the FUD campaign against Apple. It isn't working. And looks like it isn't going to.

And wasn't Apple's previous quarter their best non-holiday quarter? So it seems they set a new record.

The whole world is scrambling to move any goods at all . except apple . Stuff was flying off the shelves . The MBP's & MB WHITE sold like never before .

APPLE keeps marching on !!!!

A zune accessory company also had some nice sales .
  • Reply 14 of 50
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Something weird is happening. Apple stock is going up after Apple announced a good quarter. That isn't right.

Actually I am surprised. These numbers weren't that great. Barely beat consensus EPS.

Oh, take it back -- they reported $1.35. That is great!
  • Reply 15 of 50
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

snip

A zune accessory company also had some nice sales .

what's a zune?

(sorry guys. i'll work on my self control issues...)
  • Reply 16 of 50
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Wow.

(It seems rediculous to bother posting just to say this one word, but, well, it sums up my thoughts quite completely.)
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

what's a zune?

(sorry guys. i'll work on my self control issues...)

You mean THIS thing? At least we know what it's good for . . .

• Reply 18 of 50
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You mean THIS thing? At least we know what it's good for . . .

At least he looks happy about it. Probably the only one.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

At least he looks happy about it. Probably the only one.

Hehe, I'm with you there. Not a bad PS job. Not mine, though.

Depends whether one would rather see his tongue or the Zune. Seems like two sides of the same coin, really.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Cue the Apple pessimists... they'll be here in a moment...

"But Apple could have made MORE if they just..." <insert know-it-all-remark-here>