Comments

• Reply 21 of 119
    ralphxralphx Posts: 2member
    If you'd follow AppleStoreCheck on Twitter you'd knew it much earlier
  • Reply 22 of 119
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

No kidding. How long ago did Aperture 2 come out? I'm almost tempted to move back to iPhoto (ok, not really, but almost). It handles RAW much better than it used to and supports geotagging. I though features were supposed to trickle down from the pro apps to the consumer apps, not the other way around! And they still don't even fully support RAW formats for the Canon 5DII which came out nearly a year ago.

I hear you, brother. It's a shame Apple does not.
  • Reply 23 of 119
    I just called Apple Final Cut Tech Support and they confirmed that the New Final Cut 7 is fully 64 bit with Open CL support for the new Snow Leopard. They said it was state on the web site under www.apple.com/finalcutstudio........ yeah, good luck finding it under that GENERAL location.

Anyway, they did say it was fully 64 but with Open CL for what it's worth.
  • Reply 24 of 119
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    No doubt Express will get an update too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

No kidding. How long ago did Aperture 2 come out? I'm almost tempted to move back to iPhoto (ok, not really, but almost). It handles RAW much better than it used to and supports geotagging. I though features were supposed to trickle down from the pro apps to the consumer apps, not the other way around! And they still don't even fully support RAW formats for the Canon 5DII which came out nearly a year ago.

Totally agree, Aperture is so behind, it's lame .. but I do prefer Aperture's interface to LR.
  • Reply 25 of 119
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brainfragment View Post

You don't need DVDSP 4. It is all handled by FCP 7 now.

The burning can be done in FCP 7, but I doubt that this would include all of the functionality of dvd authoring that is available through DVDSP . Does it? If not, then the ability to burn Blue ray DVDs should have been added to DVDSP

Quote:

And yes, Color can FINALLY handle multi-cam sequences!! Woohoo!

Thank G-d. This will be a great improvement to my workflow. Hopefully the added support will not cause Color to render the entire footage that the the angles are based on but just the sections that are actually used in the sequence (keeping fingers crossed).
  • Reply 26 of 119
    These apps will rock in SL - using all the power of all the CPU's and pushing a lot of work out to the GPU via OpenCL. I'll bet that 7.1 will be released shortly after SL's release, with perhaps some incremental new features and Blu-Ray support for new Mac Pros that will be released after SL that support Blu-Ray.

This seems like a somewhat underwhelming release (definitely perplexed by the disappearance of all things Shake?), but the truth is that editing platforms are mature products and they didn't need to reinvent the wheel. For years now the main things I've been looking for are bug fixes and workflow improvements like coloured markers, which we now at least get. There's bigger changes that need to be made, but they needed to get the entire codebase updated first, and that would have been an enormous task - some of the codebase is almost 10 years old, IIRC, dating back to Macromedia/PPC days. If the word from those smarter than I is that the code is now fully modern, then we have a platform we can again expect great leaps from in the future.
  • Reply 27 of 119
    cuttercutter Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A "significant" upgrade to Final Cut Studio...

Never were quotations marks more appropriately used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While under development, the project was code-named Sideways.

Kind of says it all.
  • Reply 28 of 119
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxplanar View Post

There's bigger changes that need to be made, but they needed to get the entire codebase updated first, and that would have been an enormous task - some of the codebase is almost 10 years old, IIRC, dating back to Macromedia/PPC days.

Did Apple update it to Cocoa? Or still Carbon?
  • Reply 29 of 119
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I know -right? The tide is changing- slooooowly.

Does Sony get a royalty for this too?

Apple may support blu-ray in software but we still won't see them shipping system with it. SD is the future for now.

I'm sure FC Pro users demanded Apple support the optical discs. I just don't know why it took them so long.
  • Reply 30 of 119
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Man, they updated Logic Express but not Final Cut Express. =/
  • Reply 31 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Soon, likely.
  • Reply 32 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

That is the only really important question of the day, I reckon - and I don't know the answer.
  • Reply 33 of 119
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

And STILL no Aperture 3.0.

How many updates to film/audio since the update to photographs?

For crissakes, Apple... I'm moving to Lightroom soon. \

As much as it pains me to type this, Lightroom 2 kicks arse. I just wish it weren't quite so kludgy integrating with DxO... I'm only using Aperture now for touch ups on pics originally imported into Aperture. Anything new goes into Lr 2.

Aperture has a long way to go to catch up, IMO.
  • Reply 34 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I really don't understand bringing up Aperture in a thread about Final Cut Pro. It's about as useful as bring up Final Cut Pro in a thread about Aperture.

Obviously Aperture 3 isn't ready yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

And STILL no Aperture 3.0.

How many updates to film/audio since the update to photographs?

For crissakes, Apple... I'm moving to Lightroom soon. \

• Reply 35 of 119
    Great timing for me. I just got the 17" MBP fully loaded in every way possible. Will now buy both Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio. Woohoo
  • Reply 36 of 119
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Here's hoping DVD burning comes to FCE. I hate iDVD.
  • Reply 37 of 119
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Well,

Quote:

mclarenf1 wrote:

I just called Apple Final Cut Tech Support and they confirmed that the New Final Cut 7 is fully 64 bit with Open CL support for the new Snow Leopard. They said it was state on the web site under www.apple.com/finalcutstudio........ yeah, good luck finding it under that GENERAL location.

Anyway, they did say it was fully 64 but with Open CL for what it's worth.

• Reply 38 of 119
    The media mangement better be rock freakin' solid. Amen for captioning support.
  • Reply 39 of 119
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I really don't understand bringing up Aperture in a thread about Final Cut Pro. It's about as useful as bring up Final Cut Pro in a thread about Aperture.

Obviously Aperture 3 isn't ready yet.

Nothing to understand. I threadjacked.

Seriously though... sorry about that. I was frustrated at yet another update while my area of interest continues to be summarily ignored by Apple and I typed reactively. Will attempt to reign it in in the future.
  • Reply 40 of 119
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

The burning can be done in FCP 7, but I doubt that this would include all of the functionality of dvd authoring that is available through DVDSP . Does it? If not, then the ability to burn Blue ray DVDs should have been added to DVDSP

Maybe Apple is working on a new application (Disk Studio Pro) to replace DVD Studio Pro that will let us author DVD and Blu-ray disks. This would move FCS 3 to FCS 3.5 and would happen after the Mac Pro gets a hardware refresh, offering us a Blu-ray disk as a CTO option.