Nintendo warns iPhone may damage its sales

Comments

• Reply 141 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Did you even read that before you posted it? Yes the game was #1 in the ITS, and in some countries with only 50 sales in a week to get it there. How can you say that is a good thing?

I'm not saying it's a good thing, and I'm not saying its a bad thing. YOU were the one who brought it up as though it meant something, which it doesn't. But it's almost assured that Nintendo's sales there were lower. Is that a good thing? The only thing that matters is total sales.

Why even continue down this road? You can't win.
  • Reply 142 of 239
    Quote:

That comment really says it all about you.

I guess we're not that different then.

Quote:

Oh, it is stupid remark because I made it? Yes the DS it cheap, they reduced the price quite a bit when the DSi came out. But if the damage to either device is a cracked screen, or water damage then you more than likely will be replacing it.

It was a stupid remark because you didn't even wonder what the context was before you made it.

Water damage is something else. No device is protected against that.

Breakage is something else.

If an iP/T gets broken after the warrantee, people either bring it into Apple, AT&T, or send it in. It gets replaced or fixed. Would you do that with a DS?
  • Reply 143 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why even continue down this road? You can't win.

And you are downright sad it you think you can win with an arguement as sad as the one you just presented.
  • Reply 144 of 239
    Quote:

Breakage is something else.

If an iP/T gets broken after the warrantee, people either bring it into Apple, AT&T, or send it in. It gets replaced or fixed. Would you do that with a DS?

So when you mention "broken" I assume you must mean something different than "breakage".

If the DS failed under a manufacturing fault after the warrentee period has ended, but before the "real life" period as assumed by my local consumer rights laws (which would be at least another year) I go back to the person I purchased it from and demand it be repaired under law. The same with the iP/T.
  • Reply 145 of 239
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

It is fact. Nintendo did announce this. The problem is that they aren't allowing the call to be made pubilc in English without having to pay for it. It costs $54. Want to buy it?

You could at least add a link to where one might acquire the recording of the conference call in case someone really wants to verify the source. You have to excuse my scepticism but Appleinsider tends to employ hyperbole and agitation more often than not to be a reliable source itself.
  • Reply 146 of 239
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

You could at least add a link to where one might acquire the recording of the conference call in case someone really wants to verify the source. You have to excuse my scepticism but Appleinsider tends to employ hyperbole and agitation more often than not to be a reliable source itself.

Probably somewhere over here:

http://www.alacrastore.com/storecontent/ccbn/T2088605

And another source:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...ref=technology
  • Reply 147 of 239
    Quote:

And you are downright sad it you think you can win with an arguement as sad as the one you just presented.

I do have an argument. You don't seem to.

You have one purpose here, and it's not to present valid arguments.

It's too bad.
  • Reply 148 of 239
    Quote:

So when you mention "broken" I assume you must mean something different than "breakage".

If the DS failed under a manufacturing fault after the warrentee period has ended, but before the "real life" period as assumed by my local consumer rights laws (which would be at least another year) I go back to the person I purchased it from and demand it be repaired under law. The same with the iP/T.

Broken as under normal wear and use.

Once the warrantee is over. It's over. There are no consumer rights laws that require a manufacturer to repair an item after the warrantee has expired, for free. That's what the warrantee means. I don't care where you live.

Are you saying that the DS is a lemon?
  • Reply 149 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Oh please! Don't get like fanning here. You can find this at every business site. Someone else pointed out other sites. Can't you do a search yourself? They didn't all recycle back to here, just one.

Are you really so much in denial?

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090730?rpc=44

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/n...titor-20090730

Now, if you still don't believe it, then you've got to show some evidence that they didn't say it.
  • Reply 150 of 239
    Quote:

Broken as under normal wear and use.

Once the warrantee is over. It's over. There are no consumer rights laws that require a manufacturer to repair an item after the warrantee has expired, for free. That's what the warrantee means. I don't care where you live.

Are you saying that the DS is a lemon?

This whole comment goes to show how ignorant you really are.

1. the DS is far from a lemon, I have already said we have three and have never had an issue with any of them. Neither have I said that the PSP or the iPod is a lemon either, if you get your jollies off by making things up, you must be real excited right about now.

2. You might want to look outside of the USA, just because you have stupid consumer laws where you live, doesn't mean it is like that in other places, and the consumer laws are much stronger where I live, and I can get items fixed for free outside of the warrantee period if the expected life span is deemed to be longer than the warantee period.
  • Reply 151 of 239
    Quote:

I do have an argument. You don't seem to.

You have one purpose here, and it's not to present valid arguments.

It's too bad.

What argument do you have, none, you have never presented a single one yet.

You are one sad individual.
  • Reply 152 of 239
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Oh please! Don't get like fanning here. You can find this at every business site. Someone else pointed out other sites (especially in an Internet medium where setting links is cheap and easy). Can't you do a search yourself?

The problem that is evident here is that not only you don't try to uphold at least some journalistic standards, you seem actively hostile to them. \ Since when I as a reader have to start looking for the sources which verify what is written in an article? This is not acceptable in academic writing and in better journalistic outlets as well (especially considering how cheap and easy it is to set link on a Internet medium). If you don't bother just mark it as a opinion piece.

Quote:

Are you really so much in denial?

Ad hominem.

Doesn't state that Nintendo issued anything, only that the iPhone is a competitor (that I never denied in the first place).

That's exactly the same message that Reuters issued. Do you even bother reading the links or do you just post the first Google results?

Quote:

Now, if you still don't believe it, then you've got to show some evidence that they didn't say it.

The. mind. boggles.

NINJA EDIT:

It's regrettable that you did let chance slide to post a link to where one might acquire the conference call. Priorities?
  • Reply 153 of 239
    Quote:

This whole comment goes to show how ignorant you really are.

1. the DS is far from a lemon, I have already said we have three and have never had an issue with any of them. Neither have I said that the PSP or the iPod is a lemon either, if you get your jollies off by making things up, you must be real excited right about now.

2. You might want to look outside of the USA, just because you have stupid consumer laws where you live, doesn't mean it is like that in other places, and the consumer laws are much stronger where I live, and I can get items fixed for free outside of the warrantee period if the expected life span is deemed to be longer than the warantee period.

Warrenty. You mean. BTW, this thread is getting off topic. Please get back to the point od discussion.

Carry on..
  • Reply 154 of 239
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    I don't think the absolute legitimacy or accuracy of the statements about what Nintendo said are all that important here. It may have been worded differently but the statements made aren't false.

Nintendo are losing sales to Apple's products - that's pretty much what's being said.

I think the Nintendo DS is a terrible gaming device, some of my young relatives bought them and the graphics look like they are from a SNES and the sound is horrible. They are made of cheap plastic and the screens are low resolution and have plastic coverings.

Because of the fact you have to use a stylus (and kids often use their finger nails), the screen gets swirl marks/dents after prolonged use and even my young relatives (7-8 years old) are bored with the games and are unimpressed with the quality, having played PC games. Plus they keep misplacing the small cartridges.

The iphone and ipod touch are far more durable products with a solid glass touch screen. They've done a lot of damage tests to show that it's a very durable product.

The issue about second hand games is one that I would have raised in the past but if the digital versions are cheaper then it doesn't matter. Plus you don't have to walk to a store to see if the price has dropped or if the local store has a pre-owned copy of the game you want. Because there's one source, publishers can get exact up-to-date sales figures and assess if the price needs to come down to improve sales.

Another thing about the iphone/ipod is that they can update them much more often. They can't do that with a dedicated games console.

The iphone only came out 2 years ago. The DS by contrast has been around for 5 years. For Apple to make up half the DS sales in just 2 years before launching in China is pretty good going.

People want more from their products and the DS is unusable for the internet, music and video. Although the iphone games are typically short and low end, not all of them are and the price isn't all that much more.

Need for Speed Undercover is only £4 in the App Store and the The Sims 3 is £6. The former app is not much shorter than the PSP version of NFS Underground Rivals, which still costs £15 even after a year or two and the graphics are pretty much the same. The production values in that game are great.

They even have a version of Prey on the iphone now. It is definitely too short but the graphics are great and it's under £2.
  • Reply 155 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Warrenty. You mean. BTW, this thread is getting off topic. Please get back to the point od discussion.

Carry on..

Actually it is warranty, but who elected you boss?
  • Reply 156 of 239
    Quote:

Actually it is warranty, but who elected you boss?

Nobody? I'm just here to help. You can elect me as boss if you want.
  • Reply 157 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think the absolute legitimacy or accuracy of the statements about what Nintendo said are all that important here. It may have been worded differently but the statements made aren't false.

Nintendo are losing sales to Apple's products - that's pretty much what's being said.

I think the Nintendo DS is a terrible gaming device, some of my young relatives bought them and the graphics look like they are from a SNES and the sound is horrible. They are made of cheap plastic and the screens are low resolution and have plastic coverings.

Because of the fact you have to use a stylus (and kids often use their finger nails), the screen gets swirl marks/dents after prolonged use and even my young relatives (7-8 years old) are bored with the games and are unimpressed with the quality, having played PC games. Plus they keep misplacing the small cartridges.

The iphone and ipod touch are far more durable products with a solid glass touch screen. They've done a lot of damage tests to show that it's a very durable product.

The issue about second hand games is one that I would have raised in the past but if the digital versions are cheaper then it doesn't matter. Plus you don't have to walk to a store to see if the price has dropped or if the local store has a pre-owned copy of the game you want. Because there's one source, publishers can get exact up-to-date sales figures and assess if the price needs to come down to improve sales.

Another thing about the iphone/ipod is that they can update them much more often. They can't do that with a dedicated games console.

The iphone only came out 2 years ago. The DS by contrast has been around for 5 years. For Apple to make up half the DS sales in just 2 years before launching in China is pretty good going.

People want more from their products and the DS is unusable for the internet, music and video. Although the iphone games are typically short and low end, not all of them are and the price isn't all that much more.

Need for Speed Undercover is only £4 in the App Store and the The Sims 3 is £6. The former app is not much shorter than the PSP version of NFS Underground Rivals, which still costs £15 even after a year or two and the graphics are pretty much the same. The production values in that game are great.

They even have a version of Prey on the iphone now. It is definitely too short but the graphics are great and it's under £2.

+1! I personally own a white DSi and the plastic screen scratches easily. However a screen protector can quickly overcome this problem and the iPhone's glass screen can take a lot of abuse. The DS needs to have more innovations. But, I think they'll still be successful. It is a purre gaming device, thus people may still want to caay a separate gaming device with them.
  • Reply 158 of 239
    reveriereverie Posts: 66member
    melgross,

You don't judge the situation between Apple and Nintendo right, and I think this may in large part be due to Appleinsider's piece leading you on, which can only be described as Apple fan service because it doesn't paint an objective picture of the two platforms' and companies' situation, leaving out any points in Nintendo's favour.

A few facts:

- Nintendo is vastly profitable, in fact it was and remains the only consistently profitable company in gaming hardware, comparable to Apple on the PC market. Profits for the last 12 months were around $5 bn.

- Nintendo had a slight slump last quarter, again comparable to Apple's Mac business which was also 8 % down year-over-year (And we don't want to call that a bad omen either, do we?). Nintendo did not change its forecast for the fiscal year that ends in March 2010.

- The Nintendo DS has sold close to 110 million times, the iPhones OS devices 50 million times. That's a 60 million headstart. Both are currently selling at a rate of about 30 million per year. Apple has no chance to catch the DS in the next 2 or 3 years. Besides that, Apple would have to outsell the DS by a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 to make up for the fact that DS owners are far more dedicated to buying games.

- The Nintendo DS software market currently has a volume of around 250 million copies per year or $10 billion per year. The AppStore hasn't even broken $1 billion per year, far from it. The iPhone games market is between 20 and 100 times smaller than the DS market.

- The AppStore is not in explosive growth anymore, if you look at the milestones Apple has announced and the number of apps released each day. It is growing fine, but not faster than the installed base anymore. That leads me back to what I state above: Apple would have to vastly outsell Nintendo on hardware if they wanted to match them on software revenue. That will give developers pause.

If you consider those things I think you'll agree that Apple still has a long, long way to go before it can challenge Nintendo in gaming. Now there are are a lot of fine details about the respective advantages and disadvantages of the 2 companies' offerings, but to consider those objectively you have to get over the assumption that Apple is steamrolling Nintendo.
  • Reply 159 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reverie View Post

melgross,

You don't judge the situation between Apple and Nintendo right, and I think this may in large part be due to Appleinsider's piece leading you on, which can only be described as Apple fan service because it doesn't paint an objective picture of the two platforms' and companies' situation, leaving out any points in Nintendo's favour.

A few facts:

- Nintendo is vastly profitable, in fact it was and remains the only consistently profitable company in gaming hardware, comparable to Apple on the PC market. Profits for the last 12 months were around $5 bn.

- Nintendo had a slight slump last quarter, again comparable to Apple's Mac business which was also 8 % down year-over-year (And we don't want to call that a bad omen either, do we?). Nintendo did not change its forecast for the fiscal year that ends in March 2010.

- The Nintendo DS has sold close to 110 million times, the iPhones OS devices 50 million times. That's a 60 million headstart. Both are currently selling at a rate of about 30 million per year. Apple has no chance to catch the DS in the next 2 or 3 years. Besides that, Apple would have to outsell the DS by a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 to make up for the fact that DS owners are far more dedicated to buying games.

- The Nintendo DS software market currently has a volume of around 250 million copies per year or $10 billion per year. The AppStore hasn't even broken $1 billion per year, far from it. The iPhone games market is between 20 and 100 times smaller than the DS market.

- The AppStore is not in explosive growth anymore, if you look at the milestones Apple has announced and the number of apps released each day. It is growing fine, but not faster than the installed base anymore. That leads me back to what I state above: Apple would have to vastly outsell Nintendo on hardware if they wanted to match them on software revenue. That will give developers pause.

If you consider those things I think you'll agree that Apple still has a long, long way to go before it can challenge Nintendo in gaming. Now there are are a lot of fine details about the respective advantages and disadvantages of the 2 companies' offerings, but to consider those objectively you have to get over the assumption that Apple is steamrolling Nintendo.

Erm, I suppose Nintendo started on the DS quite some time back before the iPhone/iPod Touch?
  • Reply 160 of 239
    reveriereverie Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What I find funny is that Nintendo will actually ADMIT such a thing publicly.

Nintendo has become more humble under Satoru Iwata. He is a great business leader and he can talk straight without marketing hogwash. Reminds you of someone...? Nintendo is an amazing company.