• Reply 101 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=89629

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=93463

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...t=96532&page=2

And there was one bound to pop up in this very thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=95

Lots more buried in other related threads. And we're just taking a sampling from AI.

The "rolleyes" emoticon isn't so much fun when you're wrong, now is it?

I like your comment.
  • Reply 102 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Horrible news. iPhone / iPod touch is all wrong as a gaming device. A step in the wrong direction.

Two reasons:

1. Touch interface. No first person / platform game is better with touch interface then with buttons.

2. No graphic acceleration. This should be standard to all gaming devices, it's been around forever.

?? Living under a rock?? Given that Nintendo is worried , it's a good sign for Apple IMO.
  • Reply 103 of 239
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

?? Living under a rock?? Given that Nintendo is worried , it's a good sign for Apple IMO.

What I find funny is that Nintendo will actually ADMIT such a thing publicly.
  • Reply 104 of 239
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The iPod touch isn't durable enough for me to be happy about giving it to my kids. Kids drop things and the iPod touch's screen is easily damaged by even minor falls. I know enough (adult) friends who've dropped their iPhones to know this.

I'd much rather give my kids a DS simply because it's near indestructable.

NO WAY !!

My sister in law has 3 kids all under 6. They have gone through 8 DS lites which all broke after they were dropped onto laminate flooring. The hinges snapped off on all of them. Fortunately I got her to take the insurance through Gamestation so she has not had to pay for replacements.
  • Reply 105 of 239
    Quote:

The iPod touch isn't durable enough for me to be happy about giving it to my kids. Kids drop things and the iPod touch's screen is easily damaged by even minor falls. I know enough (adult) friends who've dropped their iPhones to know this.

Those Nintendo things look like throwaway trash.

Get one of those thick silicone/rubber cases with a screen protector.

http://www.speckproducts.com/product...ch-2nd-gen/169

http://www.speckproducts.com/product...ch-2nd-gen/153

Besides, it's a good way to teach them about the value of things and how to take care of their stuff.
  • Reply 106 of 239
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Horrible news. iPhone / iPod touch is all wrong as a gaming device. A step in the wrong direction.

Two reasons:

1. Touch interface. No first person / platform game is better with touch interface then with buttons.

2. No graphic acceleration. This should be standard to all gaming devices, it's been around forever.

1. Developers are free to make a controller with buttons for their games if they want.

2. It has graphics acceleration. Still lags behind the PSP, but blows the DS out of the water. http://www.hardcoreware.net/graphics...-to-psp-to-ds/
  • Reply 107 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

1. Developers are free to make a controller with buttons for their games if they want.

2. It has graphics acceleration. Still lags behind the PSP, but blows the DS out of the water. http://www.hardcoreware.net/graphics...-to-psp-to-ds/

3. You can use it for things besides just playing games.

Unless all you want to do is play games, the iPhone/iPod touch blow them both away. Even the iPod touch crushes them in that regard. Not everyone wants to carry around a dedicated gaming toy.

The iPhone/iPod touch platform is about converging devices. iPod, PDA, email/internet, gaming, phone that ALL sync with your computer... in FOUR-in-ONE device, with ONE cable and ONE app to tie it all together (iTunes) with info handled by applications on your Mac (Mail, Address Book, Safari).

I use mine to sync with productivity apps... OmniFocus and 1Password, for instance. I can even print from it with wi-fi.

There's certainly a place for dedicated gaming devices, but they're becoming niche devices.
  • Reply 108 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The iPhone/iPod touch platform is about converging devices. iPod, PDA, email/internet, gaming, phone that ALL sync with your computer... in FOUR-in-ONE device, with ONE cable and ONE app to tie it all together (iTunes) with info handled by applications on your Mac (Mail, Address Book, Safari).

This is essentially the future. It's all about convergence, and that one device doing all those things WELL. That used to be an issue a while back, but wth the possibilities of Apple mobile platform, that concern can be put to rest. It's happening right now.
  • Reply 109 of 239
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Unless all you want to do is play games, the iPhone/iPod touch blow them both away. Even the iPod touch crushes them in that regard. Not everyone wants to carry around a dedicated gaming toy.

I use mine to sync with productivity apps... OmniFocus and 1Password, for instance. I can even print from it with wi-fi.

There's certainly a place for dedicated gaming devices, but they're becoming niche devices.

Very very true.
  • Reply 110 of 239
    Quote:

Will Nentendo ever admit it anyway?
  • Reply 111 of 239
    Quote:

Ouch! It hurts whenever I hear that people drop iPhones/iPod Touches . I have never dropped any of my iPhones before. NEVER. My iPod Touch, however, is a different story..
  • Reply 112 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Games are MUCH cheaper.

So of you buy ten DS games at $35 apiece, that's $350 for games. For the iPhone, that's $100.

How long does it take before the iPhone or Touch become much CHEAPER than the DS? Six months? nine? A year?

I see your points and agree that purchasing new games at $35 for the DS isnt economical. However a standard used game, something that cannot be purchased using the iPhone is about $15 for the DS which makes it only $150 a year.

I can see how the iPod Touch could be seen as a cheaper alternative over time but the iPhone will never be cheaper because of the cost of the plan with AT&T it is exponentially more expensive.

And yes The convenience of having all of your devices condensed into one is still impressive and well convenient, however due to the lower cost of ipod, iphone games that means that they cannot be as big, or as deep/rich, because their production costs must be lower to account for the lower selling point.
  • Reply 113 of 239
    Quote:

I would like to note that both the DS and PSP can play music, veiw photos and surf the web, and have calendar functions. The DSi can take pictures, albeit with one of two .3 cameras. and the PSP is better at web surfing and can be used with skype, and can play movies. and it syncs to a PS3 with one cable. So at this time hte PSP and ipod touch are very similar in function
  • Reply 114 of 239
    So I found the number of Wiis sold as of march 26 2009 to be over 50 million and DS sales over 100 million can anyone find the number of iphones and ipod touch sales?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7964459.stm
  • Reply 115 of 239
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Nintendo's success has been entirely reliant on shigeru miyamoto's creative genius since the gamecube days. While the xbox ushered in a new era of connectivity the wii dropped the ball by making everything too "kid safe". While the new control scheme was welcome it didn't really execute the sensitivity well enough to sustain interest. I will still pick up super Mario galaxy 2 and maybe pikmin 3 but other than that uniwar is my gaming nirvana.
  • Reply 116 of 239
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lunchboxwarrior View Post

So I found the number of Wiis sold as of march 26 2009 to be over 50 million and DS sales over 100 million can anyone find the number of iphones and ipod touch sales?

The iphone/ipod sales combined were close to 40 million before the 3GS:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1401...ouchsales.html

The 3GS is projected by some to sell close to 7 million this quarter. These figures would put it almost on par with the 50 million or so Wii sales as well as PSP:

http://vgchartz.com/

I think Nintendo should be worried because the iphone/ipod touch have much more graphical power with all the touch capabilities of the DS but in a much more durable and convenient package. All it needs is for game developers to get on board in bigger numbers and port some big apps.

Lucasarts have ported over Monkey Island and they made a Force Unleashed version (although not very good), Bioware have a Mass Effect game (not great though), Assassin's Creed is there too, we have Worms now, EA have The Sims and NFS, there's a bad MGS game etc.

I still don't think it's quite there yet and it seems like a lot of developers are testing the water and out to see the profit margins but as time goes on and more franchises come over, it could impact Nintendo's and Sony's mobile gaming platforms.

I got rid of my PSP in favor of an iphone for the reason mentioned earlier - once you run out of games you want to play, it just gets left unused. Web browsing on a PSP is terrible, no audio playlist syncing and I don't really want to carry something that size around for music. The price of the games was also too high.

In fairness, the cost of the iphone + games + software has been more expensive than the PSP but I still have a phone + ipod + GPS/maps + PDA + good browser when the games run out.

Apple and Nintendo could probably work quite well together. If Nintendo decide to stop the DS and support the iphone/ipod touch and Apple decide to stop the ATV and support the Wii, they could form a strong eco-system.

The ITMS would be there for Wii games as well as ipod/iphone games, the Wii can do HD output for movies and now supports 32GB SD cards for storage - you get a party games machine and media device. The Wii wand is better than ATV's controller and the iphone/ipod are arguably better than the DS.

The downside for both is Nintendo wouldn't sell any more DS machines and Apple don't sell any more ATVs, they would just profit on the games but they could potentially get some of the 40-50 million ipod/iphone owners buying Wiis and some of the 40-50 million Wii owners buying ipods/iphones.

Apple sold over 6 million ATVs so no loss there and DS sales are reaching saturation point so little future growth. The ipod/iphone are hitting China now and that has the potential to double the worldwide sales and match or exceed the DS.
  • Reply 117 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I got rid of my PSP in favor of an iphone for the reason mentioned earlier - once you run out of games you want to play, it just gets left unused. Web browsing on a PSP is terrible, no audio playlist syncing and I don't really want to carry something that size around for music. The price of the games was also too high.

Both PSP and DS are region free for games, you can purchase them from anywere, so you have the option of getting the game cheaper somewhere.

The problem you have with digital only, be it from the ITS, PSN, or DS Store is you are locked to the price there, the price stays higher, longer. And if Apple gets some large developers onboard, the prices will rise there as well.
  • Reply 118 of 239
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Where did they actually admit to anything? I still would be thankful if someone could provide me with a link to this alleged admission.
  • Reply 119 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Where did they actually admit to anything? I still would be thankful if someone could provide me with a link to this alleged admission.

It occurred during their conference call.

The AI article title, "Nintendo warns iPhone may damage its sales", at least to me, suggests that Nintendo is the one that is somehow doing the warning. Since a conference call occurred (standard procedure), I'd assume, without any other evidence, that a Nintendo spokesperson made the remark or otherwise mentioned the iPhone.

Here's more direct evidence:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...5875-21561458/

In an otherwise dull conference call about their dire results, a Nintendo representative claimed the DS and DSi were suffering, “due to harsher competition in the portable arena stemming directly from Apple devices.”

More here:

http://digitalmedia.strategyeye.com/..._Apple_threat/

Nintendo is admitting that the iPhone and iPod Touch pose a threat to its dominance of the console gaming market after posting disappointing results for the quarter ended June. The Japanese gaming firm predicts that the current year will see its full-year profits fall for the first time as competition from the Apple devices eats into its highly successful handheld console business.
  • Reply 120 of 239
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member

The mirror article actually refers to Appleinsider as the source of its information. Talk about circular references. The second article also fails to provide its sources. Right now the connection between the slump in DS sales and the iPhone seems to be pure speculation on AIs part which is presented as a fact. \