Nintendo warns iPhone may damage its sales

Comments

• Reply 121 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

Nintendo's performance wasn't "poor." They made over $400,000,000 for the quarter. It's not their top quarter ever, but Apple too will eventually see the day its profits drop.

"Poor" in the sense that their profit dropped 66%. They themselves warned of difficulties. This is from their own report.

Sales of consoles from everyone are dropping now too.

Quote:

It does matter because it brings up the inherent differences between Nintendo and Apple's products. And Nintendo is aware of what you said above. Yet, Nintendo's managed to combine the two market segments together and sell over 100 Million DS systems. Of course the App Store will sell more content by volume, but how soon will Apple be making a $400,000,000 on a games business? Certainly, Apple's price premiums have failed in the game industry (looking at the PS3), and few will spend $30 on an App game.

Of course that 100 million is the total over the years it's been selling.

Apple isn't that interested in the software. This is something everyone knows. They are interested in sales of hardware. And with Apple's sales of iP/T rising rapidly, the store is doing what it's supposed to. I don't know how much Nintendo makes on the sale of a DS, but as its a much less expensive product, they make much less. Apple makes more on the sale of one iPhone than Ninetendo likely makes on the sales of one DS and all of the software the buyer every gets for it. Not as much for the Touch, of course, but even there, they make much more than Nintendo does from a DS sale.

The profits from the App Store is just icing on the cake, the way music sales for the iPods are.

Ho much longer will it take for combined iP/T sales for the year to surpass the 35 million or so sales per year of the DS? Next Year? One more year?

Quote:

If sales numbers and install base were all that mattered with little regard for content or vision, then Apple fans shouldn't be talking. Mac sales are still a joke next to PCs. But we all know the true story behind this little deal, which is why the iPod and iPhone eventually eclipsing DS sales by numbers will still be meaningless.

First of all, we're not talking about computer sales. Don't try to change the topic. And if you understood why MS is still King of the Hill, and how it got there, you wouldn't be gloating so much about it.

You would love to think it's meaningless, but that;s not true.

Unlike for MS and its empire, people buy Apple's products, just like they buy those of Nintendo, because they actually WANT to. Not because they think they HAVE to.
  • Reply 122 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Horrible news. iPhone / iPod touch is all wrong as a gaming device. A step in the wrong direction.

Two reasons:

1. Touch interface. No first person / platform game is better with touch interface then with buttons.

2. No graphic acceleration. This should be standard to all gaming devices, it's been around forever.

Wrong on both points.

Some people prefer physical controls. Some do not.

This is the same issue as presented with the keyboard. Some like it one way, and some the other. A physical keyboard is limiting. Physical controllers are limiting as well.

But people prefer what they've been using. It won't always be that way.

Besides, there are controllers for the iP/T coming out now that OS 3 is out.

You don't know anything about the iP/T if you don't know that even the older generations have graphics acceleration. The 3GS has a very good graphics chip using Open GL 2.

This far exceeds what the DS can do.
  • Reply 123 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I second this!

Don't you people ever bother to look at earlier posts? I posted links already.

You can always Google this as well.
  • Reply 124 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yes, 700,000 sales is very impressive, they did well, and sorry that my comment seemed to put that down, what I was referring was the number of sales needed to make it the top item in those countries.

The sales numbers in the USA and GB were very good, not so much outside those areas.

But, even with those impressive sales figures, they have a while to catch up with these numbers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7213009.stm

What you didn't seem to realize when you posted that is that no matter how you wanted to denigrate sales elsewhere, you also denigrated the DS game sales even more. If all it took was that small number of game sales to make the Apple products number one in those places, then where was Nintendo? They did even more poorly. You should have mentioned that too, to be fair. But it's only the total that matters anyway.

The truth here is that Apple doesn't need numbers that are at the top to have a successful platform. Most big sellers over the short timeframe of that game I posted for you are in the area of 250,000. That's considered to be pretty good. Apple has had more than a few that have done pretty well.

Also, what you show here isn't relevant to our basic discussion. Those are console games. We're talking about handheld games.
  • Reply 125 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The iPod touch isn't durable enough for me to be happy about giving it to my kids. Kids drop things and the iPod touch's screen is easily damaged by even minor falls. I know enough (adult) friends who've dropped their iPhones to know this.

I'd much rather give my kids a DS simply because it's near indestructable.

Most people I know are on their second DS, some on their third. It's not that reliable.

I even wonder about how many of its 100 million in sales are retreads, in other words, how many are those second and third units to replace broken ones. People tell me it doesn't pay to fix them.
  • Reply 126 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lunchboxwarrior View Post

I see your points and agree that purchasing new games at $35 for the DS isnt economical. However a standard used game, something that cannot be purchased using the iPhone is about $15 for the DS which makes it only $150 a year.

I can see how the iPod Touch could be seen as a cheaper alternative over time but the iPhone will never be cheaper because of the cost of the plan with AT&T it is exponentially more expensive.

And yes The convenience of having all of your devices condensed into one is still impressive and well convenient, however due to the lower cost of ipod, iphone games that means that they cannot be as big, or as deep/rich, because their production costs must be lower to account for the lower selling point.

Not everyone wants used games. They want a game when it first comes out. NOW!

My daughter has what seams to be hundreds of games for about every conceivable games machine in the past ten years. Some are used, as she finds an interest in some years later. But most, like that of her friends, all big games players, are new. Some of the console games are unbelievable in their high pricing.

Games for the iP/T are bigger than those for the DS. One game I have is over 75 MB in size. It's not close to being the biggest available. How big are the biggest ones for the DS?
  • Reply 127 of 239
    Quote:

I would like to note that both the DS and PSP can play music, veiw photos and surf the web, and have calendar functions. The DSi can take pictures, albeit with one of two .3 cameras. and the PSP is better at web surfing and can be used with skype, and can play movies. and it syncs to a PS3 with one cable. So at this time hte PSP and ipod touch are very similar in function

Only partly. What kind of programs can the PSP run? What kind of browser does the DS or the PSP have? The DS isn't even close in any way, and the PSB, despite is large size, falls way short.
  • Reply 128 of 239
    Quote:

So I found the number of Wiis sold as of march 26 2009 to be over 50 million and DS sales over 100 million can anyone find the number of iphones and ipod touch sales?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7964459.stm

In two years there have been over 45 million iP/T's sold.

http://www.iphonetechzone.com/2009/0...oss-the-world/
  • Reply 129 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

The mirror article actually refers to Appleinsider as the source of its information. Talk about circular references. The second article also fails to provide its sources. Right now the connection between the slump in DS sales and the iPhone seems to be pure speculation on AIs part which is presented as a fact. \

It is fact. Nintendo did announce this. The problem is that they aren't allowing the call to be made pubilc in English without having to pay for it. It costs $54. Want to buy it?
  • Reply 130 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Most people I know are on their second DS, some on their third. It's not that reliable.

I even wonder about how many of its 100 million in sales are retreads, in other words, how many are those second and third units to replace broken ones. People tell me it doesn't pay to fix them.

Isn't that true with ipods and iphones aswell? I know people who have purchased each generation and accounting for drops and water are on their sixth one
  • Reply 131 of 239
    Quote:

Only partly. What kind of programs can the PSP run? What kind of browser does the DS or the PSP have? The DS isn't even close in any way, and the PSB, despite is large size, falls way short.

I agree that the DS falls short in its quality of function and I don't have a PSP and I'm really comparing the new PSPgo which is closer in size to the iPod Touch, plus it has that analog stick that FPS players like. But as for programs no idea.
  • Reply 132 of 239
    Quote:

Isn't that true with ipods and iphones aswell? I know people who have purchased each generation and accounting for drops and water are on their sixth one

Not really. I see people posting on mostly non Apple forums about how everyone they know with an iP/T has had a broken screen, but it's not true. It's assumed they're trolls. I don't know anyone who has had a broken screen. I'm sure it happens. But you should know that in regards to Apple products, that if there is a high failure rate, the first people to complain of it are the Apple product users themselves. Then it gets to the news sites who report upon it extensively. The fact that this hasn't happened is proof that the "problem" isn't widespread. Besides, my daughter herself is on her third DS. One broke from falling. The second broke when she opened it up. The hinge just came apart.

If you look around the web at reviews of the iPhone, you'll find some that deliberately try to break the thing. You'll find that it's pretty sturdy.

A few years ago, there was a rash of broken screens on either the Nano, or the Mini, I don't remember which. It turned out that it was one early production run where the bezel for the screen was out of spec and put pressure on the screen which led it to crack. Apple replaced all 20,000 or so devices from that run, and the problem was never heard of again. but for over a year after, trolls kept talking about how the screens were breaking.
  • Reply 133 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

What you didn't seem to realize when you posted that is that no matter how you wanted to denigrate sales elsewhere, you also denigrated the DS game sales even more. If all it took was that small number of game sales to make the Apple products number one in those places, then where was Nintendo? They did even more poorly. You should have mentioned that too, to be fair. But it's only the total that matters anyway.

Well the stats you provided are for the ITS, since you can only sell for Apple products through the ITS it is a bit hard to say the Nintendo sales based on that information.

Quote:

Also, what you show here isn't relevant to our basic discussion. Those are console games. We're talking about handheld games.

The article compares the iPhone to the Wii, that would mean we are talking about both.
  • Reply 134 of 239
    Quote:

That's right, because all the people you know make up a great statistical sample.

We have three DS's, none have had a single issue.

Quote:

I wonder how much of Apples sales are retreads, in other words, how many are those second and third units to replace broken ones. People tell me it doesn't pay to fix them.

Hmm, the same thing can said any device, especially if the people using it are rough with it.
  • Reply 135 of 239
    Quote:

Apple isn't that interested in the software.

But everyone here says it is all about the software, so are you right, or everyone else on this site wrong?
  • Reply 136 of 239
    Quote:

Well the stats you provided are for the ITS, since you can only sell for Apple products through the ITS it is a bit hard to say the Nintendo sales based on that information.

Number one is still number one. Others' sales must be lower.

Quote:

The article compares the iPhone to the Wii, that would mean we are talking about both.

More in passing. The real comparison, as we both know, is the DS series.

Some articles compare Apple's aTv to the Wii, but I wouldn't do that.
  • Reply 137 of 239
    Quote:

That's right, because all the people you know make up a great statistical sample.

We have three DS's, none have had a single issue.

They do. It's a few dozen. I doubt they're that different than others.

Quote:

I wonder how much of Apples sales are retreads, in other words, how many are those second and third units to replace broken ones. People tell me it doesn't pay to fix them.

Now you're just making a stupid remark. The Ds is cheap. The iTouch and iPhone are not. It doesn't pay to get the DS fixed out of the warrantee period, but it does for the iP/T. Pretty simple.

Would you pay to get a $100 device fixed after the warrantee is over if it cost $50 to do so? I don't think so. But you likely would if it cost $300 to buy, and $75 to fix.

Quote:

Hmm, the same thing can said any device, especially if the people using it are rough with it.

It has to be made for the market.
  • Reply 138 of 239
    Quote:

Number one is still number one. Others' sales must be lower.

Did you even read that before you posted it? Yes the game was #1 in the ITS, and in some countries with only 50 sales in a week to get it there. How can you say that is a good thing?
  • Reply 139 of 239
    Quote:

But everyone here says it is all about the software, so are you right, or everyone else on this site wrong?

No. You're deliberately misunderstanding what I said.

I said that Apple isn't interested in the money it makes from the software, or at least, you should have gotten that out of what I said. We were talking about profits from games, remember?

The software is very important in getting customers for the products. Apple make almost all of its profits from the hardware. Nintendo makes a large percentage of profits from the software. Maybe most of it.

The focus is different.
  • Reply 140 of 239
    Quote:

They do. It's a few dozen. I doubt they're that different than others.

That comment really says it all about you.

Quote:

Now you're just making a stupid remark. The Ds is cheap. The iTouch and iPhone are not. It doesn't pay to get the DS fixed out of the warrantee period, but it does for the iP/T. Pretty simple.

Would you pay to get a $100 device fixed after the warrantee is over if it cost $50 to do so? I don't think so. But you likely would if it cost $300 to buy, and $75 to fix.

It has to be made for the market.

Oh, it is stupid remark because I made it? Yes the DS it cheap, they reduced the price quite a bit when the DSi came out. But if the damage to either device is a cracked screen, or water damage then you more than likely will be replacing it.