Offender Locator iPhone software exiled from App Store by Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    What's next?

An App that shows the location and address of every legal gun owner...
  • Reply 42 of 90
    If one argues "it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information." then someone should give me my next computer for free because I damned sure had to buy it to have access to the "free" database.

If my understanding of this app is correct, it facilitates access to the database, access that one would not otherwise have, just as one doesn't have access to the database unless one buys a computer and gets an ISP... (O.K. O.K..... but I don't like using computers at the library)

Now, if they are charging 0.99 for each access, that's different, but I'd like to know, based on my limited knowledge of the facts, is where's the beef?
  • Reply 43 of 90
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    It's beginning to look more and more like The Joy of Mac "roadmap" for how apps get approved to the store is spot on.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

apple is slowly becoming 'holier than the pope' in the sense of not wanting to offend anybody, anywhere, anytime.

another example of so-called 'political correctness gone mad'.

Let me guess, you were gettin' ready to go huntin' down some offenders?

Leave such knowledge to the Professionals we pay with our tax dollars.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

Didn't know that such was available, but very useful app if the databases are reliable. This should be available as a free public service app. I don't know if Apple has considered the potential backlash of NOT putting that app out.

Can you see the lawsuit that Apple would have to deal with from a iPhone user who gets raped, killed or otherwise suffers harm that arguably would not have occurred had the software been made available--I'd think that the legal eagles should seriously weigh rejecting this one long term.

Sex offenders don't have much of a legal voice AND SHOULDN'T; but let someone get hurt because it was rejected? Big check that APple would have to write

You know next to nothing about criminal or civil law. But you *do* have a really active, if very flawed, imagination.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I'm personally VERY relieved that this app was banned. It saves me from having to file a lawsuit.

hmmm [Macslut] coincidence
  • Reply 47 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Wow, what state classifies urinating in public as a sexual offense???

I think it might be categorized as indecent exposure.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    bobsrfbobsrf Posts: 1member
    I want to share with others the information I found on the Attorney General's Megan's Law Website. Does the law prohibit me in any way from sharing this information?

A person may use the information disclosed on the Attorney General's Web site only to protect a person at risk. It is a crime to use the information disclosed on the Attorney General's Internet Web site to commit a misdemeanor or felony. Unless the information is used to protect a person at risk, it is also prohibited to use any information that is disclosed pursuant to this Internet Web site for a purpose relating to health insurance, insurance, loans, credit, employment, education, scholarships, fellowships, housing, accommodations, or benefits, privileges, or services provided by any business. Misuse of the information may make the user liable for money damages or an injunction against the misuse. Before using the information disclosed on this Web site, you may want to consult with an attorney or merely suggest to others that they view the Web site for themselves.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/faq.aspx?lang=ENGLISH#1a
  • Reply 49 of 90
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

And there's no registration database for murderers, or thieves, or assholes. If some lowlife raped his girlfriend 20 years ago and went to jail and suffered for it and paid the price and cleaned up his life, why should he not have a chance to live a normal life again like other criminals get to?

This is how you force people into the shadows where their choices are limited and the chance that they'll commit more crimes increases.

(And don't give me the "they should have thought about that before they did _____" line. They didn't. They screwed up. And if they turn their lives around after serving their time, it's better for the rest of us.)

:d

almost 20 years ago they passed something called Megan's Law to start this. she was killed by a repeat sex offender
  • Reply 50 of 90
    That app could also locate the nearest hardware store, so you could stock up on pitchforks, torches, tar and feathers.

• Reply 51 of 90
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    i want an app that lets me track the whereabouts of, i don't know, maybe some of the idoit/savants on the forum, without their permission, because spying on citizens is kewl and exciting and necessary and oh so legal - maybe we can incorporate RFID tags into people and provide realtime GPS tracking in google maps.

oh wait, i thought everybody doesn't like big brother watching?

my bad, it is okay if you can do it but not government.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofabutt

Wow, what state classifies urinating in public as a sexual offense???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes, public urination is considered a sex crime in some states.

This is supposed to be the 21st Century.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Here's an Apple Store decision I agree with. There's already websites where you can see the location of sex offenders. Don't need bogus vigilantism and profiteering from publicly-available lists. I'd be fine with the way it was at first, too: if you want to know where the offenders are, you walk into the police station.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

almost 20 years ago they passed something called Megan's Law to start this. she was killed by a repeat sex offender

True. And the first year of its application saw dozens of people beaten up, sometimes at the wrong address.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Offender Locator, a controversial, high-profile application that allowed users to find registered sex offenders, was removed from the App Store this week.

While those reasons have not yet been made clear, some have speculated that it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information. But according to a ThinAir Wireless employee, Sex Offenders Search, a competing application for $1.99, remained on sale even after Offender Locator had been pulled from the App Store.

I am baffled by the seeming inconsistency of it all. I can't fathom any good reason why they would banish one application and allow a directly-competing application to remain.

I don't think too many customers outside of us nerds here really give a crap about all this. The iPhone is still the coolest thing available and has the most functions that most customers want. Competition is good. But these sorts of moves have to be agitating lawyers, developers and federal authorities. I hope Apple gets some clarity on the approval process soon.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Here's an Apple Store decision I agree with. There's already websites where you can see the location of sex offenders. Don't need bogus vigilantism and profiteering from publicly-available lists. I'd be fine with the way it was at first, too: if you want to know where the offenders are, you walk into the police station.

Why was this ever approved by Apple to sell in the first place?
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

And there's no registration database for murderers, or thieves ...

No, there is not... and there should be.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Which is a specific classification of sex crime.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

apple is slowly becoming 'holier than the pope' in the sense of not wanting to offend anybody, anywhere, anytime.

another example of so-called 'political correctness gone mad'.

seems like it, although i think it's because apple is pressured to approve apps quickly and can't thoroughly inspect the legality of everything so fast.

what apple has in their app store system right now is not quite ideal for customers or for apple themselves, and i don't know if there is a universally satisfying solution.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This is not information that should be freely available. If people are going to rehabilitate sucessfully that can only occur if they don't have some drunk asshole knocking on their door every Saturday night wanting to pick a fight. If they are not able to rehabilitate sucessfully they should not be in the community. Paedophilia is an insidious thing and it destroys entire families but there is still just way too much hysteria in our response to it as a community.