Offender Locator iPhone software exiled from App Store by Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Offender Locator, a controversial, high-profile application that allowed users to find registered sex offenders, was removed from the App Store this week.

The software from ThinAir Wireless was priced at $0.99, and had resided among the top 10 selling applications in Apple's App Store for weeks. But according to CNet, the application was banished from the App Store for legal reasons.

While those reasons have not yet been made clear, some have speculated that it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information. But according to a ThinAir Wireless employee, Sex Offenders Search, a competing application for $1.99, remained on sale even after Offender Locator had been pulled from the App Store.

The software allowed users to see nearby registered offenders based on the phone's current location or by manually entering an address. The program then pulled up a map with pinpoints for each nearby offender. The locations were each selectable, giving users access to the person's picture, a physical description, and information on what crime they were convicted of.

Other stories of applications being approved, only to be removed from the App Store later are not uncommon, though typically that software is not among the top 10 sellers. Perhaps the most high-profile previous reconsideration from Apple was GV Mobile, which was removed only after Apple rejected Google's own Voice application. Apple is even under investigation from the Federal Communications Commission for its rejection of the Google Voice software.

The news comes soon after Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, personally responded to criticism over the company's handling of a dictionary application with questionable content. The iPhone maker has repeatedly come under fire recently for how it handles the approval of applications for the App Store, from the length of time it takes for software to be reviewed to the availability of promotional codes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I got this app. Seemed pretty cool.

In the comments, though, lots of people complained that the databases they were using were crap.

One guy/gal was like: I'm a parole officer. I put in locations where I know there are offenders and nothing came up! What database are you using.

There were at least three comments among the top ones with this complaint.

Still, near me there are boatloads of these folks, it seems.... I wonder how many there would be if they were using good data?
  • Reply 2 of 90
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    apple is slowly becoming 'holier than the pope' in the sense of not wanting to offend anybody, anywhere, anytime.

another example of so-called 'political correctness gone mad'.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

apple is slowly becoming 'holier than the pope' in the sense of not wanting to offend anybody, anywhere, anytime.

another example of so-called 'political correctness gone mad'.

"some have speculated that it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information."
  • Reply 4 of 90
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Can I get a locator for cops so I can know when it's alright to speed? Actually, I've thought about this before and I can't imagine it would get approved and it would probably be used for crimes but I think it would be cool to have an app that you could fire up and when you see a cop you press a button and it send your GPS location to a central server and that way other people can see where a cop is and when he/she was last spotted. Of course I'm sure that would lead to actual crimes but it'd be nice for traffic since, statistically speaking, cops 1) cause more wrecks than there would be without them sitting on the side of the road clocking people and 2) cause greater congestion by unnaturally slowing down the speed of traffic.

I guess that's a little off topic huh? Eh well, it's Friday!
  • Reply 5 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

"some have speculated that it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information."

shhh, you may frighten them with logic.

Really, how hard is it for the software supplier in question to offer it for free? Secondly, I'd like to see them be a little more transparent about what database(s) they use.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    I was considering making an app that's similar but I foreseen complications with all 50 states similar issues like this.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    dkoesdkoes Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Can I get a locator for cops so I can know when it's alright to speed?

Yes. http://www.trapster.com/
  • Reply 8 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkoes View Post

Yes. http://www.trapster.com/

Holy crap!!! Score!!
  • Reply 9 of 90
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    Didn't know that such was available, but very useful app if the databases are reliable. This should be available as a free public service app. I don't know if Apple has considered the potential backlash of NOT putting that app out.

Can you see the lawsuit that Apple would have to deal with from a iPhone user who gets raped, killed or otherwise suffers harm that arguably would not have occurred had the software been made available--I'd think that the legal eagles should seriously weigh rejecting this one long term.

Sex offenders don't have much of a legal voice AND SHOULDN'T; but let someone get hurt because it was rejected? Big check that APple would have to write
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:

Can I get a locator for cops so I can know when it's alright to speed? Actually, I've thought about this before and I can't imagine it would get approved and it would probably be used for crimes but I think it would be cool to have an app that you could fire up and when you see a cop you press a button and it send your GPS location to a central server and that way other people can see where a cop is and when he/she was last spotted. Of course I'm sure that would lead to actual crimes but it'd be nice for traffic since, statistically speaking, cops 1) cause more wrecks than there would be without them sitting on the side of the road clocking people and 2) cause greater congestion by unnaturally slowing down the speed of traffic.

I guess that's a little off topic huh? Eh well, it's Friday!

Yeah, it's called Trapster
  • Reply 11 of 90
    I don't care where the sex offenders are, I want to know where the arsonists are.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

Can you see the lawsuit that Apple would have to deal with from a iPhone user who gets raped, killed or otherwise suffers harm that arguably would not have occurred had the software been made available--I'd think that the legal eagles should seriously weigh rejecting this one long term.

Can you see the lawsuit if the app was available and someone got attacked by a sex offender, but the offender wasn't in the database.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Can you see the lawsuit if the app was available and someone got attacked by a sex offender, but the offender wasn't in the database.

Or where some on edge person found out where one lived and went and beat them up... They may be sex offenders but they still have rights (not all of them obviously but you get my point).
  • Reply 14 of 90
    The problem with that app is that "sex offenders" included everything from people arrested for urinating in public or being nude in public, to child molesters, with no distinction between them.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:

Or where some on edge person found out where one lived and went and beat them up... They may be sex offenders but they still have rights (not all of them obviously but you get my point).

The sex offenders can get still get looked up through state websites, so the loss of this app doesn't prevent what you're talking about. So maybe I just don't get your point here.

And pretty much every state seems to think that citizens have the right to know if there is a sex offender living near them, and that sex offenders lost their right to such privacy when they chose to offend.

Anyone who thinks this app is controversial has been ignorant of their state's law for a very long time.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

The sex offenders can get still get looked up through state websites, so the loss of this app doesn't prevent what you're talking about. So maybe I just don't get your point here.

And pretty much every state seems to think that citizens have the right to know if there is a sex offender living near them, and that sex offenders lost their right to such privacy when they chose to offend.

Anyone who thinks this app is controversial has been ignorant of their state's law for a very long time.

I was just saying it's illegal to beat them up that's all (and doubly illegal if the database feeds you bad info).
  • Reply 17 of 90
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I don't care where the sex offenders are, I want to know where the arsonists are.

Simple, just look for the smoke...
  • Reply 18 of 90
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's easy to pile on Apple without knowing the full details (and Apple ought to GIVE more details) but I'm very disappointed.

Just the other night I wanted to find Tex-Mex food, take it to the nearest showing of Star Trek, and eat it with a sex offender. An iPhone is PERFECT in that situation. But guess what? Now I'll have to have Tex-Mex alone. Thanks for nothing, Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

The problem with that app is that "sex offenders" included everything from people arrested for urinating in public or being nude in public, to child molesters, with no distinction between them.

And there's no registration database for murderers, or thieves, or assholes. If some lowlife raped his girlfriend 20 years ago and went to jail and suffered for it and paid the price and cleaned up his life, why should he not have a chance to live a normal life again like other criminals get to?

This is how you force people into the shadows where their choices are limited and the chance that they'll commit more crimes increases.

(And don't give me the "they should have thought about that before they did _____" line. They didn't. They screwed up. And if they turn their lives around after serving their time, it's better for the rest of us.)

:d
  • Reply 20 of 90
    chronochrono Posts: 2member
    Stephen Marshall, the Canadian man who murdered two people in Maine who were listed on the registry, used a wireless service to plot his crimes and choose his victims. As much as 40% of registrants and an equal number of family members of registrants (kids included) have been the targets of vigilante violence. There was also the possibility of innocent people targeted simply because they look like a picture viewed on a 2.5 inch screen (many innocent people have been assaulted because of bad registry info). This app would have increased vigilante violence.

Truth about *ex offenders can be found at www.oncefallen.com