Sources detail changes to Snow Leopard installation process

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    This will be my first Mac. The one concern I have is that due to having to buy my Mac from the online store (the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away), I'm worried it'll be a few weeks before I receive it. Any one with past experience on how fast, or slow, the online store is when a version is just being released?
  • Reply 82 of 113
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Pre-Order on Amazon.com already! I can't wait either!

Yeah I pre-ordered my torrent as well. I can't wait either!
  • Reply 83 of 113
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Yeah I pre-ordered my torrent as well. I can't wait either!

Thanks for letting us all know you're a thief. Seriously, not that it should make any difference, but it's only $29, and you're too cheap to pay that? I hope someone punches you in the face in the not too distant future.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Again, you are assuming that Mac users typically cheat Apple. I certainly don't. The cost is actually fair to my mind for these OS releases. Having come from the Windows side, they are downright cheap. Since the current honor system is adequate in Apple's eyes, I see no reason Apple couldn't just verify the user has an existing 10.5 CD. I think most people are actually honest for the most part. They haven't assumed their user base are criminals first and gone from there and I see no reason they would need to start down that path.

Excuse me, but you said:

Quote:

You can give your CD to anyone now and install it any number of times.

That actually goes against Apple's EULA. One copy per machine. Every time you give your disk to someone, you're cheating Apple out of their money. This is why they SELL a family edition for five computers in the same household. Quite generous, don't you think?

You don't even realize you're cheating!

Get the point?
  • Reply 85 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That actually goes against Apple's EULA. One copy per machine. Every time you give your disk to someone, you're cheating Apple out of their money. This is why they SELL a family edition for five computers in the same household. Quite generous, don't you think?

Get the point?

I think he meant that it is technically possible to do this, not that it is allowed by the EULA. There is no enforcement mechanism, so it is entirely on the honor system.

I know there are cheats out there, but even so, I hope Apple doesn't change things.

Over on the Windows side, the pirates are all using cracked copies, and only the legitimate users are hassled when the so called "anti-piracy" measures malfunction. I hope I don't live to see the day when Apple customers are treated the same way.
  • Reply 86 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qm0KUPeD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9JvCZMUGQ (15 second delay for some reason)
  • Reply 87 of 113
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Thanks for letting us all know you're a thief. Seriously, not that it should make any difference, but it's only $29, and you're too cheap to pay that? I hope someone punches you in the face in the not too distant future.

Not only are you the language police [as your title reads] , but you're the thought police. Thanks Daddy. Don't know what I'd do without you.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Methos View Post

This will be my first Mac. The one concern I have is that due to having to buy my Mac from the online store (the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away), I'm worried it'll be a few weeks before I receive it. Any one with past experience on how fast, or slow, the online store is when a version is just being released?

I've solely bought from the online store for the last 4 years (for 2 iMacs and 1 MB) and the delay order-Apple at my door never reached one week, actually consistently being delivered 1-2 days ahead of schedule. The again it all depends on their order backlog, which state you live in, shipping services quality etc... All I can say in neither me nor ayone I know had bad experiences regarding the delivery service from the Apple online store.

No matter what, It WILL be longer than driving a 5hrs roundtrip
  • Reply 89 of 113
    imatimat Posts: 216member
    Do I need Rosetta for Office 2004 for Mac or can I skip it?

Will Adobe CS3 be supported?

Thanks

(before you ask... I need Excel 2004, and that is the only MS software in my Mac because of a sheet containing Macros which I absolutely need and was very poorly programmed )
  • Reply 90 of 113
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    QT X is so limited it will drive people to VLC. They should install QT7 by default.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Do I need Rosetta for Office 2004 for Mac or can I skip it?

Yes, you'll need Rosetta.

I'd be curious whether the 10.6 installer would figure that out and automatically install Rosetta the way the article mentions for QTX, or if it'll be some kind of one-off install you'd have to take care of afterward -- and in that case if the installer would disable all of the Office 2004 applications and move them to the "bad" (e.g. "Incompatible Software") apps folder:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Although Rosetta and Quicktime 7 are both included on the Mac OS X 10.6 installation DVD, both are designated as optional installs by default. However, if Mac OS X 10.6 is being installed on a Mac that contains a registration a key for Quicktime 7 Pro, the installer will install Quicktime 7 automatically.

[snip]

To prevent the Blue Screen error that plagued some users when upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5, a software compatibility check is included that has a list of known "bad" apps, and disables them. Those programs are moved to an "Incompatible Software" folder.

• Reply 92 of 113
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Excuse me, but you said:

Get the point?

Melgross, for a moderator, you really should at least read the post in question before passing judgement. I was indicating that the current system is on the honor system, and I see no reason for that to change.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Not only are you the language police [as your title reads] , but you're the thought police. Thanks Daddy. Don't know what I'd do without you.

No, that's not being thought police; that would be a facet of extreme left or right-wing ideology. I'm not trying to police what you think. I'm trying to tell you that stealing is not acceptable, and it's not acceptable across the range of institutional systems across the world; it's not an extreme position to find what you are doing wrong.

Why should you get it free, when others have to pay? Why should Apple not get remuneration for the work they do? Do you deserve remuneration for the work you do?
  • Reply 94 of 113
    gcsgcs Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

QT X is so limited it will drive people to VLC. They should install QT7 by default.

QT (pro) has already driven me to VLC - which I like better anyway - works with everything w/o need to install components which I either can't find or don't do anything to help the situation. So SL can install either QT 7 or QT X without me caring one way or another.

I do plan to drive to Apple Store to get my $30 upgrade.
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Unlike Mac OS X 10.5, you cannot install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on computers where the hard drive reports a S.M.A.R.T. failure.

Why would they do this?
  • Reply 96 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timfreitas View Post

Unlike Mac OS X 10.5, you cannot install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on computers where the hard drive reports a S.M.A.R.T. failure.

Why would they do this?

Because a SMART failure indicates that the HDD is about to die and should be replaced.
  • Reply 97 of 113
    Quote:

Because a SMART failure indicates that the HDD is about to die and should be replaced.

You can download software to check for any SMART warnings here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23232
  • Reply 98 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You can download software to check for any SMART warnings here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23232

Most people have no need for that app. Apple's Disk Utility has a SMART checker. Launch Disk Utility, select an HDD from the source list on the left, and at the bottom of the window, information about the selected device is listed, including the SMART status.

I guess that app would be more interesting to people with servers.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    Quote:

Most people have no need for that app. Apple's Disk Utility has a SMART checker. Launch Disk Utility, select an HDD from the source list on the left, and at the bottom of the window, information about the selected device is listed, including the SMART status.

I guess that app would be more interesting to people with servers.

Actually the app constantly monitors any SMART messages and notifies you as soon as they happen as well as giving you a visual indicator (green, gray, red) on your status bar based on current drive status. Using Disk Utility requires you to open it up and check manually.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    Since we're discussing licensing agreements and the honor system, here's a question for you. The Snow Leopard and Box Set family pack licenses state that they cover users in the same household but do not extend to "business or commercial users."

My wife and I live together and both have Mac laptops. She uses hers mostly for personal stuff, and occasionally when bringing work home from her outside job. I imagine this describes a lot of Mac users. I'm self-employed, working from home, and I use mine for all my personal and all my work stuff. So am I eligible to share a family pack, or am I a business user?

I'm leaning toward the family pack on the reasoning that if I weren't using my computer for work, I would still buy the software for personal use. Also, if we get the the Box Set, I will most likely only use iWork for personal stuff and continue using MS Office for work. But it seems like a gray area, so what do you think?

I searched Apple Discussions and Google and didn't find anyone addressing this.