Microsoft says Office 2010, Outlook for Mac coming next year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    Please no!

I work all day with Outlook and can't get on with it. I don't think switching between the views in Outlook is any more onerous than switching between apps on my Mac. Especially as when I toggle between messages and contacts in Outlook, contacts always reverts to my first contact losing sight of the person I was interested in.

Finding stuff in the Mac apps is a dream compared to in Outlook. I usually use spotlight to find contacts and appointments and old messages buried in my inbox.

I say that they should keep on their current path, fine tune these great apps, keep improving background linking/synchronisation/connectivity. It's a winning formula for me at least. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are more than adequate.

It's so good to come home and work with a real computer.

Regards

fluffy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

The 4 apps are light-weight because they're very efficient, and lack some features of Entourage. If Apple were to combine these into one app, they'd be more efficient than running the 4 separate apps. The only reason you wouldn't want these to be one app is if you weren't going to be using some of them.

If Apple were to consolidate the apps into one, I'd consider using it, but for now, I prefer Entourage, and I'm looking forward to Outlook.

• Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

MS promised a while ago that the next version of Office would bring Visual Basic back. Nothing is mentioned about this in this article. If they don't I will have to stick to Office 2004, and will not be the only one. Anybody who knows?

While this particular article doesn't mention it, this one does:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1422...tml?lsrc=top_1

Yes it will return.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Did we ask for these? Hasn't everyone moved to cell phones as their email client?

No. Or do you think every cell phone sold is a smart phone? Hardly.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franck View Post

It took only 10 years for MS to make a cocoa application.

Nah. It only took 6 months to write it, but 9 1/2 years to screw it up enough so it meets the Micro$oft "criteria".
  • Reply 45 of 80
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    When it comes out I am going to hurry up and not buy it.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Say what you want about "Micro$$$$oft" (people really like using dollar signs nowadays) but hey I'm just happy that they're actually trying to improve their products. Though I do note that they sure got a lot of money from it with messing up 2008 and putting it back in 2010. Do something with offline messaging and A/V with Messenger: mac and that would make my day...
  • Reply 47 of 80
    This is absolutely glorious news, i can finally dump my Dell Vostro and get an iMac and use my PST folders when Outlook is out. I wonder why Apple did not create a cross platform PST reading app - agreed Exchange is the key but we don't all have access to Exchange.

Fully appreciate people who haven't used Outlook on PCs will wonder why the fuss and Mac Mail / Entourage to be good enough or great for what they do, but Outlook is miles ahead in functionality, i hope Outlook is kept simple and not overcomplicated.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Well, I don't know much, but every time I open a Word doc and see that it has Visual Basic macros which are not supported by Mac Word I wonder how Microsoft can claim cross platform compatibility. Hopefully they will rectify this seeming problem. Maybe I just don't understand.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    This morning, I tried to save my paper in Word after making about an hour's worth of new text and dramatic clean-up of my document. Then word said my hard disk was full. I pointed it at a windows image but it said that was full as well. This is the newest build of Mac Office 2008 SP2. I might add that the year 2010 is nearly here. And word still can't save a document. I don't know if there is anything more that needs to be said about the legacy of Microsoft. I enjoyed typing the document, but without a reliable Save feature, the usefulness of Microsoft Word is limited to that fleeting pleasure, of creating a nice documen that no one will ever see.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 895member
    64-bit Cocoa...
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arorat View Post

This is absolutely glorious news, i can finally dump my Dell Vostro and get an iMac and use my PST folders when Outlook is out. I wonder why Apple did not create a cross platform PST reading app - agreed Exchange is the key but we don't all have access to Exchange.

Fully appreciate people who haven't used Outlook on PCs will wonder why the fuss and Mac Mail / Entourage to be good enough or great for what they do, but Outlook is miles ahead in functionality, i hope Outlook is kept simple and not overcomplicated.

Correction to my post ..... Having just read the article at MS, I will not hold my breath about Outlook functionality until its released. The last 6 years or so MS has produced some over complex products in the name of progress. its a moneymaking scheme to offer loaded functionality and them make it better in the next release by making it simpler - case in point Vista.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Outlook is decent. iCal was ok, but they have made it worse. They added clicks to edit info, and To Do's are not very smart. In general I just feel they don't devote much resources to iCal. It's pretty easy to integrate iCal, Mail, and Address Book. But Outlook might be easier and more powerful. I look forward to Outlook for Mac. I may use it if it's better than iCal. I hate Microsoft and I hate Windows, but I have to say, not too much compares to MS Office and its ecosystem. iWork is just...different. OO.o etc. don't cut it. I mean, Office/Exchange ought to be at least decent, it's probably got a bigger budget than all of Apple's software put together!
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:

The suggested retail price for the new Business Edition is the same as the current Standard Edition, $399 for the full product and $239 to upgrade.

For $170 you can buy all iWork and iLife applications from Apple. They work great!

I ditched Office for Mac a few years ago, and haven't looked back since.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Did we ask for these? Hasn't everyone moved to cell phones as their email client? How about an outlook client for cell phones, instead.

Oh yeah we all sit at work reading our emails on a 4 inch screen rather than big monitors in front of us and then type with one finger to respond.

I do like Apple's Mail, iCal etc but that's just for home use. When it comes to work, organising meetings, keeping track of huge amounts of email, Apples programs really arn't up to the job. The lightwaight simplistic nature of them just doesn't fit. I just can't imagine having the 60 odd folders I have to sort my message in Outlook fitting in with mails interface.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

People that are forced to use Windows only network environment. Thats about 90% of the planet. So no matter how much of a piece of crap these Microsoft products for Mac, you have to use it if you want a chance to use your Mac for anything else in those environment.

I just read 30% of corporate IT mgmt's still are locked into IE.... ....6! And have forced not only their users, but MS to continue to support this truly sucky product.

So if you're not at one of these firms, count your blessings....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franck View Post

It took only 10 years for MS to make a cocoa application.

And how much better is Adobe doing??

(or have they finally got off the schneid when I wasn't looking? having all the functions I already need)
  • Reply 56 of 80
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Exchange 2007 requires either Outlook 2007 or 2003 and higher. don't remember which though.

Outlook 2003 works just fine with Exchange 2007, but Outlook 2007 gets extra features/functionality in the bargain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

[2] Standardization of Office in light of increased competition?

This is more about playing defense against Google Apps, IMO, than anything else. It's keeping Office ubuiquitious.

That, and the MacBU seems to have some wide autonomy to do their thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

I don't suppose that MS will put VB back into Excel this time around

Yup. In the next version. My guess is they will sell a *lot* of copies of Office 2010 with that feature set.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Outlook is decent. iCal was ok, but they have made it worse. They added clicks to edit info, and To Do's are not very smart. In general I just feel they don't devote much resources to iCal. It's pretty easy to integrate iCal, Mail, and Address Book. But Outlook might be easier and more powerful. I look forward to Outlook for Mac. I may use it if it's better than iCal. I hate Microsoft and I hate Windows, but I have to say, not too much compares to MS Office and its ecosystem. iWork is just...different. OO.o etc. don't cut it. I mean, Office/Exchange ought to be at least decent, it's probably got a bigger budget than all of Apple's software put together!

I'm not that impressed with Notes/MobileMe only sync'ing to my iPhone via USB (Gruber has a couple of thoughts about this on his blog that are on the mark), and I've *never* been that thrilled with iCal where editing is painful and navigating the UI is as un-Mac-like as I've seen from a non-Pro Apple application. My two cents, YMMV...
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I just can't imagine having the 60 odd folders I have to sort my message in Outlook fitting in with mails interface.

Add mailboxes and set up rules. Works much, much better in Mail than in Outlook. By far. I've even arranged so that outbound emails get sorted as well.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    More vapour-ware.

MSFT have found something to announce just before the release of Snow Leopard just to make sure their name is also in the news.

They do it all the time except this time they didn't have to invent an OS for the purpose. Windows, Win ME, Vista...
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I do like Apple's Mail, iCal etc but that's just for home use. When it comes to work, organising meetings, keeping track of huge amounts of email, Apples programs really arn't up to the job. The lightwaight simplistic nature of them just doesn't fit. I just can't imagine having the 60 odd folders I have to sort my message in Outlook fitting in with mails interface.

Are you serious? There are lots of businesses that use only Apple's software, including my own. They aren't as lightweight or simplistic as you think they are.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

Say what you want about "Micro$$$$oft" (people really like using dollar signs nowadays) but hey I'm just happy that they're actually trying to improve their products. Though I do note that they sure got a lot of money from it with messing up 2008 and putting it back in 2010. Do something with offline messaging and A/V with Messenger: mac and that would make my day...

Well that is just it. You have said it all. Because we know MS and their track history we KNOW for a FACT that this "new" MS Office for Mac is a bunch of vapourware. It will be just the same steaming pile of crap that was the previous Office with a different logo.