New Apple Mac ad features familiar face, Blu-ray PC adoption low

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    OK OK I get your points... One can always dream... ...I don't like anything physically moving anymore in my technology. No moving parts is a great dream. Then again, looking at the components in my gaming PC I am typing this on, it has about 4 fans running right now. LOL

What they need to do is to be able to read the optical discs without spinning the disc. That would be hella sexy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Not to mention that SD-based movie's biggest benefit is small size and portability. But most people watch movies sitting in their living rooms. The benefit there of SD over optical disc is pretty minor. Not enough to replace your equipment as you'd need both an SD player AND an optical disc player for all the stuff you already own.

I can see SD becoming the standard for software delivery, but if it delivers movies it will always be a niche product as online delivery will have taken over by then.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Go to Wal-Mart and check out how small DVD players are. Blu-ray will eventually be that small. Any smaller than that really isn't a benefit for my living room. And you are also missing the point in earlier posts, you still need to keep that "big clunky" optical disc player around to play your old content. So all you are doing is adding to the clutter, not reducing it. (Another reason Apple needs to find a way to play my DVDs on AppleTV...to reduce the clutter of devices connected to my TV.)

Just because on paper it looks technically superior doesn't mean it will ever catch on. There are a lot of practical considerations around trying to transition consumers to a drastically different format that has no backward compatibility.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you must have missed the PS3 Slim news. it just hit the shelves at best Buy. $299 and includes a full Blu-Ray player in it.

The X-Box 360 has Netflix functionality built into it and is also $299 for the Elite version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Your arguments are based on something which does not exist currently and has never existed - silicon based memory being cheaper than disc.

Production cost of a Bluray disc of 25gb - $1.49 whereas a 32gb SDHC card is about $70 currently.

It is not about convenience for the user, it's about cost of production for the producers.

They would rather fob the high cost of the players onto the end users than see the slightest rise in their production costs.

Not cheaper than disc by a wide margin.

No, Red Ray is what we had with CD's and DVD's. BluRay was the replacement because the shorter wavelength of light allowed a higher density of information storage.

AquaRay (blue + Green) disc is the next step, using holographic technology to give 6 TB per disc with data transfer of 1 Gbit/s

Sorry, you were saying?

• Reply 82 of 93
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

OK OK I get your points... One can always dream... ...I don't like anything physically moving anymore in my technology. No moving parts is a great dream.

Don't own a car or fly on a plane or even ride in a horse drawn cart, just walk everywhere.

Quote:

What they need to do is to be able to read the optical discs without spinning the disc. That would be hella sexy.

IBM - holographic cube.
  • Reply 83 of 93
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I agree, SD is going to rule.

With 2TB SDXC cards having twice the access speed of a 7,200 RPM hard drive...cheap, thin and portable. BlueRay is doomed as a storage medium for computers, even SSD and RAMs life is suddenly looking sort of bleak.

Apple has included a SD port on it's newer machines, it can access the larger capacity SD cards coming, but the speed is hobbled right now.

Apple likes thin, and SD has it.

Watching BlueRay movies on computers? Might be shifted to a third party device instead or a new kind of disk scanner that reads the whole disk without having to spin it and waste valuable space and energy.

How far away are we from such cards though? The specification may include them, but there is currently no way to pysically make those cards. They may be the future, but they are a long ways out at this point. By the time they are here, we will be looking past them to the next technology that will render them obsolete, just as we are doing with other media now. However, we still need to use technology in the present and near future.
  • Reply 84 of 93
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It seems unlikely that there will be another physical distribution medium for movies beyond blu-ray. Or more specifically, unlikely that one will be widely used and available in brick-and-mortar stores. This seems like the likely scenario no matter whether something like SD is superior or not. To make such things worthwhile, there has to be a massive consumer base. Consumers have been rather slow to adopt blu-ray, despite it being cheaper than SD. If they're going to switch to something other than blu-ray, my bet is on network based distribution, aka: video-on-demand, pay-per-view, streaming, downloads, subscription plans etc.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Don't own a car or fly on a plane or even ride in a horse drawn cart, just walk everywhere.

Where's my flying cars powered by antigravity and inertial drives??? Those don't have moving parts...!
  • Reply 86 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If you blame Sony, you may as well blame Apple as well, since both are members of the BDA

Being a member of BDA has nothing to do with owning the patents and amount of royalties you want from them.
  • Reply 87 of 93
    Quote:

Where's my flying cars powered by antigravity and inertial drives??? Those don't have moving parts...!

Except for cooling that fusion reactor that powers the car...
  • Reply 88 of 93
    Quote:

Can someone (I know, I'm lazy) post the cost per GB for BluRay vs cost per GB for hard disk vs cost per GB for a flashdrive (thumbdrive) that's perhaps read-only?

Now project that 5 years.

Tauron I think you have a point. Only issue is hard disks are much more prone to failure and is nowhere near the reliability of a optical disc.

Now, solid-state memory... I'm still backing that, but I don't have the figures and cost/ manufacturing trends.

If hard disks are now much cheaper per GB than BluRay, then new tech or sudden breakthroughs in solid-state media... we could still see optical media getting beaten.

The real question should be that, Would you like to enjoy fullHD top picture quality movies now, or would you like to wait 5-15 years?
  • Reply 89 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toke lahti View Post

The real question should be that, Would you like to enjoy fullHD top picture quality movies now, or would you like to wait 5-15 years?

My answer is, I'm not willing to blow the cash on BluRay discs or BluRay player or BluRay drive for my PC, and Bittorrent is way to slow for me to download 720p let alone 1080p GBs and GBs of movies (apart from being illegal).

So, I would like to enjoy fullHD top picture quality movies now... But spending 20% of my monthly income for a few hours here and there of movies I may have already watched or movies that may turn out to be not too great or worth watching more than once...

BTW where I am right now there's no Netflix, no BluRay rental... Yup, I'm in a third world country. Luckily they sell Macs and have 1 mbit/sec broadband LOL.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    Quote:

My answer is, I'm not willing to blow the cash on BluRay discs or BluRay player or BluRay drive for my PC, and Bittorrent is way to slow for me to download 720p let alone 1080p GBs and GBs of movies (apart from being illegal).

So, I would like to enjoy fullHD top picture quality movies now... But spending 20% of my monthly income for a few hours here and there of movies I may have already watched or movies that may turn out to be not too great or worth watching more than once...

Ok,

let's see...

Bying BD-player for next 5 years $200/60months=$3.33/month

(Or you can buy desktop/laptop with BD for $600-$800, when BD's part is even smaller)

Buying one movie per week $20 delivered,

equals $85 per month, which should be 20% of your income, which is then $425 per month.

Maybe you could get a raise for your salary?
  • Reply 91 of 93
    Quote:

Ok,

let's see...

Bying BD-player for next 5 years $200/60months=$3.33/month

(Or you can buy desktop/laptop with BD for $600-$800, when BD's part is even smaller)

Buying one movie per week $20 delivered,

equals $85 per month, which should be 20% of your income, which is then $425 per month.

Maybe you could get a raise for your salary?

Yup my salary is currently (and it only just went up this month) the equivalent of roughly USD $650 per month. And I currently don't get any 401(k) or equivalent retirement funding by my employer.

My income is actually considered reasonable in my country... I used to work overseas. Long story ...So anyway here each movie is the equivalent of maybe USD $35 excluding delivery. One disc a week is USD $140 each month which is just over 20% of my income ~ and that's just the movies!!! I'd rather put that money to two or three PC games (I have a PC as well) a month (which are also not cheap at USD $30 to $50+ per PC game).

Plus don't forget you would need a 30" or so LCD TV to enjoy the high definition movies and make the viewing experience worthwhile. So factor in about the equivalent of USD$1,000 to $1,500 for a decent, worthwhile LCD TV.

Starting to see the Math?

Seriously, you guys in the US still with a decent job and being in the developed world are lucky. I know it ain't perfect, I've lived in the US for a few years, but heck, the strength of currency and with food prices still reasonable, objects of consumerism are mighty accessible. Which is also why the US is responsible for a huge part of climate change, which of course, is an entirely different topic.

I could go with pirated low-res movies (there isn't the bandwidth here for 720p rips most of the time unless you're willing to wait 1 week to download each movie with the computer on all the time) and watch it on cheapo China-brand LCDs ... Which would make it about 1% of my monthly income, but that's far, far from high def and, illegal.

But guess what most of Asia is doing and why BluRay hasn't really taken off
  • Reply 92 of 93
    Quote:

Except for cooling that fusion reactor that powers the car...

That's MISTER Fusion to you...
  • Reply 93 of 93
    Quote:

My income is actually considered reasonable in my country... I used to work overseas. Long story ...So anyway here each movie is the equivalent of maybe USD $35 excluding delivery. One disc a week is USD $140 each month which is just over 20% of my income ~ and that's just the movies!!! I'd rather put that money to two or three PC games (I have a PC as well) a month (which are also not cheap at USD $30 to $50+ per PC game).

Hmmm,

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12516490...011&sort=price

2nd hand blu-rays' prices start from $2 and posting to Africa is $7 with 3 weeks shipping time...

Quote:

Starting to see the Math?

Yep, here in Finland prices are double and salaries half of US.

So we consume about a quarter than people in US.

But I believe that prices are not going to change much in the future, so if you don't have money for HD-movies now, you'll probably don't have money for them in the future either.

Quote:

I could go with pirated low-res movies (there isn't the bandwidth here for 720p rips most of the time unless you're willing to wait 1 week to download each movie with the computer on all the time) and watch it on cheapo China-brand LCDs ... Which would make it about 1% of my monthly income, but that's far, far from high def and, illegal.

You can easily burn $500 per year for electricity for your computer if you would keep it on 24-7. So that's about $2500 for movies and equipment for 5 years...