Apple already testing Mac OS X 10.6.1 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    My Safari has been fine, although I have locked the previews folder so it isn't wasting time writing there the whole time.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...unlike the Apple Developer Connection open all developers willing to pay membership fees.

...meaning ADC members could see their first taste of Mac OS X 10.6.1 as early as this weekend.

Should be "open to all developers", and

either: "could experience their first taste", or "could see their first glimpse", etc.

(You can't see a taste, unless you're a synesthete, and even then you've got to be the kind that sees tastes!)
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toolrox923 View Post

this 10.6.1 update better fix the vertical lines/distortion that people are getting when they try to open a site from their Top Sites.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of people who upgraded to 10.6

I don't get that. Where is the distortion happening exactly?
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

A lot of 1st post trolls on AI lately ... what's up with that?

What it's always been. Apple envy. When you're a Windows sufferer, you're bound to experience it some time. I used to be like that too, LOL.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    Hopefully they expand the list of officially supported GPUs for H.264 acceleration from 1 in the 9400M to many others. The nVidia 8000 and 9000 series seem like the simplest next step, but all discrete GPUs on Intel Macs, even the ATI X1000 and nVidia 7000 series offer some form of H.264 acceleration.

I wonder if 10.5.9 is coming too. Tiger received 10.4.11 alongside 10.5.1.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I don't get that. Where is the distortion happening exactly?

Safari>Top Sites

happens to a lot of the news sites in particular, but i have also noticed it to happen on other sites.

When you click on one of those top sites, the screen gets these vertical distorted lines for a second or two until the page loads...

it doesn't happen to all sites, but here is the discussion thread that's been created - some people posted photos, and a video clip to show you.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...16509#10116509
  • Reply 27 of 90
    SL was easy and fast and without a hitch.

I even paid for the "Family Pak" license and was glad to do it the morning of first release.

Now if all my add-on software catches-up....

Gawd! That makes me a Apple FanBoy!
  • Reply 28 of 90
    After "upgrading" to Snow Leopard, the Epson color profiles disappeared from the Adobe InDesign and Illustrator CS3 dialog boxes. They do show up in Photoshop CS3 and in Apple's Mail.app and Safari print dialog boxes.

We also go the spinning color wheel for over a half hour (had to force quit the machine) just when logging into a user account for the first time. Worked the second time after repairing permissions.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toolrox923 View Post

this 10.6.1 update better fix the vertical lines/distortion that people are getting when they try to open a site from their Top Sites.

Or else what? What do you plan to do if it doesn't?
  • Reply 30 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

Yeah ... right
  • Reply 31 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

A lot of 1st post trolls on AI lately ... what's up with that?

At least this one is funny
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I had a prob with HP 5610 deskjet series

and i found out that re'install old SW version and all will be well . And it is . It onlt took 4 hrs to figure this out .

SNOWY is great .

I just found out that the scanning functionality is now built into Apple's Preview and Image Capture. This is awesome. I like not having to use yet another application. The whole print/scan/fax driver thing is really sweat.

So far, I would say it's been my best upgrade ever...but Saft, where are you?
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I guess this means there won?t be another Leopard point update after all.

Not necessarily. Leopard (10.5.0) was released 26 October 2007, and the last Tiger update, 10.4.11, was released 14 November 2007.

Depends on whether or not some serious issue turns up in Leopard, but it's not likely.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

Here, three machines upgraded so far. One problem cropped up on one of them, and that was solved by reinstalling a printer driver.

Otherwise, it's been great.

Then again, we don't use haxies, don't have PGP Desktop installed, etc.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Hopefully they expand the list of officially supported GPUs for H.264 acceleration from 1 in the 9400M to many others. The nVidia 8000 and 9000 series seem like the simplest next step, but all discrete GPUs on Intel Macs, even the ATI X1000 and nVidia 7000 series offer some form of H.264 acceleration.

I wonder if 10.5.9 is coming too. Tiger received 10.4.11 alongside 10.5.1.

Surprisingly, playing a specific H264 720p video on my MPB 4,1 (Penryn, GF8600) went from 70% CPU usage on Leo down to a mere 40% on Snowy, so I thought GPU acceleration was enabled.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

IIRC, the GPU has to have h.264 acceleration explicitly built in to the silicon. It's not an issue of writing code to do the job. Expect to see it as a feature of future GPU hardware.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Not necessarily. Leopard (10.5.0) was released 26 October 2007, and the last Tiger update, 10.4.11, was released 14 November 2007.

Depends on whether or not some serious issue turns up in Leopard, but it's not likely.

That is what I?m saying. The next point update was RELEASED about a month after the next major update, but we are now a week past the Snow Leopard release and there hasn?t been one 10.5.9 Beta since 10.5.8 was released.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Of course Apple has started right away on making fixes to the OS.

Most here should know that the Mac OS X usually doesn't get real stable till around the 10.x.4 area. All OSs (Mac, Windows, Linux) have issues right out the door. So this story should come as no surprise. To those who have 10.6.0, thanks for being our guinea pigs.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Is it just me, or has the Snowy Leopard upgrade been successful for most of the users?

• Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Of course Apple has started right away on making fixes to the OS.

Most here should know that the Mac OS X usually doesn't get real stable till around the 10.x.4 area. All OSs (Mac, Windows, Linux) have issues right out the door. So this story should come as no surprise. To those who have 10.6.0, thanks for being our guinea pigs.

They aren?t ?starting right away?, they have never stopped. They didn?t go on vacation after the GM build was set up until the DVD was sold in stores last week. The Betas were coming frequently in the end, and it has been a month now since the last GM build was set so of course you can expect a beta to his the ADC developers soon.

As for the Snow Leopard?s stability, this idea about the OS only getting "real stable till around the 10.x.4? is nonsense. Snow Leopard is more stable now than Leopard was at a couple point updates in. They beat their dead line and didn?t do a massive UI overhaul at nearly the last minute like they did with Leopard.