Apple contacted print publications about tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

Apart from media playback, and nice colors, I can't see what advantage this would have over an eBook, and therefore why it would be even near a succes.

Just cause you cannot see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
  • Reply 22 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

At this point the newspaper industry is so scared of dying that anyone throwing out a life saver is looking good. The fact that it is Apple with such a good track record for getting things right, will overshadow the relinquishing of control of the market to Apple.

So rather than die they sell their content through iTunes, make profit and live? I know which option sounds better to me.
  • Reply 23 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

This sounds alot like Apple's concept tablet, Knowledge Navigator from the 1980's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRH8eimU_20

Actually it doesn't.
  • Reply 24 of 155
    No more stinky perfumey mags!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 155
    Even though I'm a huge apple fan, I can't see this device become a success around the world if its basically a publication platform.

Simple reason?

Well apart from the US, and some countries, books are still pretty cheap in many parts of the world.

Here is India, you can get a dan brown hard bound book for $12, approx.

Soon, the paperback will be out and will sell for about 4-5 US dollars.

Why would anyone here pay for an expensive gadget, and buy expensive e-books.

its the same reason, the itunes store doesn't even operate in India. music cd's are cheaper.

The commercial world is just robbing you USA. watch out. They overcharge you for small things.

And make the expensive things feel cheaper, and just make you buy.

(reminds me so much of ratm!)

Anyway, it needs to do a lot more:

OK wishlist:

Music/Video (Of course)

Calender, Contacts (Of course)

Video Chat! (Seriously Apple, long overdue! even though it probably won't work on India's shitty net)

Publications (will at least work in the US) with extreme control... notes/ drawings anything!)

Should be awesome for artists, and photo editing (Why else is it a tablet??)

Internet/Safari (duh!)

Full fledged Iwork/ office application (cmon.. with support to save and open files.)

Accelerometer/ Gaming (cmon, its a cash cow! and you know it)

some basic video editing capability like imovie would be just awesome!! (trust me imagine a touchscreen imovie, it'll be awesome!)

Apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just do it quick this time! I don't even think you need to make it run iPhone apps. Just let the developer make more apps for the device and they'll be happy to do so!)

Oh And please please : Multitasking!!! oh Please!

Put all this... (of course i'll let you go without the imovie thing) and I'll buy it for sure. Even though I don't have the money. Put all this and i'll sacrifice basic three meals for this device. Otherwise, just forget about it.
  • Reply 26 of 155
    There are already a number of magazines that publish rich electronic versions.

Latitudes & Attitudes WARNING: Annoying music!

ZMags helps to publish the interactive electronic versions.

If Apple were to offer a similar service - or software to create such things - I suspect they'd use HTML5.

It sounds nice, but outside, sunlit viewing is going to be a killer. I don't see how Apple is going to overcome the display being impossible to read in bright ambient light. Maybe their market will be city-dwellers who spend their entire lives in buildings & subways.

Also, it's really hard to overcome the HUGE cost of a device like this vs individual newspapers or magazines. If I forget a magazine on the bus, I don't care. If I forget this fancy tablet thing, I'm very unhappy. Over the long run, the paper version may cost more, but the incremental cost & risk is much lower.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 27 of 155
    We all need to take a step back and put down the kool-aid for a moment.
  • Reply 28 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Students should be very leery of this type of service catching on. First, from what I have seen so far, e-textbooks don't cost significantly less, which is strange since they 1) have virtually no cost to make [most books are sent as PDFs to printers for printing], 2) usually expire, and 3) have no resale value.

For instance, I recently took a class. The e-text was $80 and the traditional text was $100. why would I pay $80 for an e-text book, when I could buy the new book at a $100? With the hundred dollar book, I can generally sell it for 40 to 60 percent of it's value when I am done whereas with the e-text you cannot.

I fear if these books catch on, budget conscious students will have no choice but to buy the much more costlier e-texts.

To not have to carry it around. My 7th grader has to lug a 15 lb backpack.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

Even though I'm a huge apple fan, I can't see this device become a success around the world if its basically a publication platform.

Simple reason?

Well apart from the US, and some countries, books are still pretty cheap in many parts of the world.

its the same reason, the itunes store doesn't even operate in India. music cd's are cheaper.

The commercial world is just robbing you USA. watch out. They overcharge you for small things.

(reminds me so much of ratm!)

Anyway, it needs to do a lot more:

OK wishlist:

Music/Video (Of course)

Calender, Contacts (Of course)

Video Chat! (Seriously Apple, long overdue! even though it probably won't work on India's shitty net)

Publications (will at least work in the US) with extreme control... notes/ drawings anything!)

Should be awesome for artists, and photo editing (Why else is it a tablet??)

Internet/Safari (duh!)

Full fledged Iwork/ office application (cmon.. with support to save and open files.)

Accelerometer/ Gaming (cmon, its a cash cow! and you know it)

some basic video editing capability like imovie would be just awesome!! (trust me imagine a touchscreen imovie, it'll be awesome!)

Apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just do it quick this time! I don't even think you need to make it run iPhone apps. Just let the developer make more apps for the device and they'll be happy to do so!)

Oh And please please : Multitasking!!! oh Please!

Put all this... (of course i'll let you go without the imovie thing) and I'll buy it for sure. Even though I don't have the money. Put all this and i'll sacrifice basic three meals for this device. Otherwise, just forget about it.

Stop the presses!!

When this technology takes over, no more cheap Dan B!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 155
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

If I were these companies, I'd be careful to cede so much control to one company, especially when your industry is failing. If this "Apple product" succeeds so much that it has no viable competition, then Apple can hold you by the balls.

I agree with you.

It will also be hard for Apple to have better readability than my Kindle 2 e-ink. I love that device. If apple could get that problem under control so we all don't go blind by the age of 30, they may have something.

I wouldn't be worried too much right now if I were Amazon but I think I would be on alert.
  • Reply 31 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Should be a business opportunity in there, scanning and cleaning up existing texts and adding hyperlinks and active media - anyone interested?

Putting hyperlinks in e-textbooks would be a terrible idea. Even ones I come across in Internet articles were defunct a long time ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

Simple reason?

You can buy books at those prices for bestsellers in England, America, anywhere. The point is this would be magazines and newpapers with a subscription. I don't doubt that a lot of things are cheaper in India, but as you point out the iTunes store isn't even available, which suggests that it's not a key target country for Apple.

And your argument about the 'commercial world robbing the USA' is invalid. The US may as well say the job market is robbing you because typical wages are lower in India. Prices (generally) correlate to where people are. Material goods are more expensive, but wages are higher.
  • Reply 32 of 155
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

If I were these companies, I'd be careful to cede so much control to one company, especially when your industry is failing. If this "Apple product" succeeds so much that it has no viable competition, then Apple can hold you by the balls.

If I were these companies, in an industry which, as you say, is falling, I'd have to admit that my old business model doesn't work any more and I'd be more than willing to lose some control to align myself with somebody who has a proven track record at reviving and re-inventing stagnant media business models. After all, a little piece of success is worth more than a big piece of failure.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    Quote:

I take your point, but what choice do they have?
  • Reply 34 of 155
    Quote:

Putting hyperlinks in e-textbooks would be a terrible idea. Even ones I come across in Internet articles were defunct a long time ago.

Uh...I'm pretty sure this person was referring to linking content WITHIN the e-text, not linking to external content on the web!

Quote:

hello removable battery and good cpu

Doubtful...Removable batteries seem to be the exact opposite direction that apple is moving. Considering the fact that the only current Apple product that has a removable battery is the polycarb MacBook (which is almost certain to lose it in the upcoming refresh), I would be shocked to see a removable battery in a new Apple device, especially one with the thin form-factor that would be used in a tablet.
  • Reply 35 of 155
    Here in Australia, today, our largest national classifieds newspaper "The Trading Post" sent me an email saying they are stopping physical print resorting to online only. However part of their email I find most interesting. Emphasis mine.

"?will help you continue to reach the right buyers at the right time whoever they are and on whatever device they are using, PC, laptop, phone and whatever else is next."

I got this today... And thought tablet whilst reading it.
  • Reply 36 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I would be most interested in digital subscriptions to my favorite newspapers and magazines.

But those won't exist anymore, anymore than albums really exist these days. Prepackaged media is not where things are headed. It's a-la-carte where the consumers will choose for themselves what items get auto downloaded each day as they come. If the rules for cable services were to change to a-la-carte, do you think people would stay with these companies' packages? They need a new business model or they're toast within 5 years. If I were them, I'd be very interested in what Apple's talking about. Whether or not Apple's defining or just understands where the market is headed is academic at this point.
  • Reply 37 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

Prices (generally) correlate to where people are. Material goods are more expensive, but wages are higher.

Exactly. It's no surprise that a country with a billion people living off $1/day has a lower cost of living.
  • Reply 38 of 155
    Quote:

There is probably a degree of 'control' Apple would like to have, but I doubt they'd get exclusive access. There is room for competitors.

And, as another poster basically said, with their sales declining the newspapers WANT something to be hyper-successful.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    As a student, I was one that kept all of my books (and still have them). If the McGraw-Hills of the world put a "time limit" on usage of their digital education content, how am I (or you) going to keep those for reference. Bad bad idea from my perspective.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raybo View Post

No more stinky perfumey mags!!!!

You do realize you can contact your magazine provider and request to receive ones without the perfume?