Flash coming to most smartphones, but not Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

That argument doesn't work, as even though I really don't want it on my desktop machine there are far too many sites I visit that require the piece of crap that is Flash!!

It's not an argument, it's about choice. And what does what you say have to do with anything I said? If the sites you visit require flash, they wouldn't work on your iPhone in the first place currently unless they have a special dumbed down mobile version.
  • Reply 82 of 223
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ooh , you hurt my feelings with that one. NOT!

Now exactly- why is it considered trolling to like FLASH?

Liking Flash is not trolling.

Your comments and the fact that your "all over every Apple story like a rash" with your negative arguments regardless of whether or not there is any fact to support your "claims" is proof enough of your trolling!
  • Reply 83 of 223
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It's not an argument, it's about choice. And what does what you say have to do with anything I said? If the sites you visit require flash, they wouldn't work on your iPhone in the first place currently unless they have a special dumbed down mobile version.

Exactly, and by requiring Flash, they have taken away my choice to view their website. Point well made.
  • Reply 84 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I agree completely too, however what advantage would you have in canceling your SMS feature, other than for receiving unwanted text messages?

That is exactly why I canceled it. I got a brand new phone number when I bought my 3GS, and had 4 unwanted text messages within the first week from spam numbers even though I didn't sign up for texting.

That, and I don't see the point in paying for texting if I can send an email for free. But for others, they love texting and that's there CHOICE. I wouldn't crap on someone else's CHOICE to have texting/SMS.
  • Reply 85 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

God I hope not. I am already having to adjust to developing Silverlight content. If Apple produces a plug-in of their own I will cry.

He was talking about HTML5/CSS3/etc., not some proprietary browser plugin on top of all that. Apple's been pushing open standards for years, and is beginning to really pick up the pace more recently, because they know they need a level playing field if they're to have a chance of competing on their own merits. Reducing the Web's dependence on (unhealthy addiction to?) a completely opaque, proprietary plugin controlled by a single company (especially one that makes a point of short-changing Apple for kicks) is a big first step toward that.
  • Reply 86 of 223
    Quote:

Exactly, and by requiring Flash, they have taken away my choice to view their website. Point well made.

No one is stopping you from using Flash on your Mac. I use it on my MacBook Pro.

The only one stopping you from having Flash on the iPhone is Apple.
  • Reply 87 of 223
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Your comments and the fact that your "all over every Apple story like a rash" with your negative arguments regardless of whether or not there is any fact to support your "claims" is proof enough of your trolling!

That's because you're only hand picking out what you deem negative. I've left many a positive post on Apple. I'm not the only one here that wants at the very least an option for FLASH. Sorry you have such Flash hatred - not good.
  • Reply 88 of 223
    Quote:

Not to mention, if all you have to say is negative about one specific company, why would you spend so much of your time talking about something that you mostly hate?

Quote:

That is exactly why I canceled it. I got a brand new phone number when I bought my 3GS, and had 4 unwanted text messages within the first week from spam numbers even though I didn't sign up for texting.

That, and I don't see the point in paying for texting if I can send an email for free. But for others, they love texting and that's there CHOICE. I wouldn't crap on someone else's CHOICE to have texting/SMS.

Completely agree, I actually use text messages a lot, it's more convenient me to use to talk to those for that don't have the best e-mail features or options on their phones to talk with, however its always nice to see someone elses opinion and perspective also.
  • Reply 89 of 223
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Join me newbee -and together we will rule the dark side of the farce.

The thing is: most of the time I think you ARE the dark side of the farce ... see my problem? \
  • Reply 90 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh, so you're the one. Flash sucks on the Mac, people know this.

GOOGLE

Well Flash works for me as well on my mac. Never had an issue with it.
  • Reply 91 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

Not to mention, if all you have to say is negative about one specific company, why would you spend so much of your time talking about something that you mostly hate?

Hate? Who are you talking about hate? I love my Apple products, save one.
  • Reply 92 of 223
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Streming anything for hours using anything will mess up anything - and your point?

Streaming for hours using anything will not render your browser of choice and possibly OSX inoperable. You need flash for that. Unfortunately most streaming is done with flash these days, so streaming virtually anything can lead to problems. You are right about that, but the problem lies with flash. This flash plugin for phones may not be terrible performance wise though, since it will utilize video processors unlike the OSX version.

Flash is so prevalent because it makes it easy for web developers to make flashy (no pun intended) websites, not because it is friendly to the end user, and it is a brick on OSX.
  • Reply 93 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Streaming for hours using anything will not render your browser of choice and possibly OSX inoperable. You need flash for that. Unfortunately most streaming is done with flash these days, so streaming virtually anything can lead to problems. You are right about that, but the problem lies with flash. This flash plugin for phones may not be terrible performance wise though, since it will utilize video processors unlike the OSX version.

Flash is so prevalent because it makes it easy for web developers to make flashy (no pun intended) websites, not because it is friendly to the end user, and it is a brick on OSX.

IS streaming Real Player Flash too? That sucks too.
  • Reply 94 of 223
    Quote:

IS streaming Real Player Flash too? That sucks too.

That still exists? Honestly I didn't know, and I can't believe you used that program to support your point on flash.
  • Reply 95 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That still exists? Honestly I didn't know, and I can't believe you used that program to support your point on flash.

To be fair, he said that Real Player sucked
  • Reply 96 of 223
    Quote:

To be fair, he said that Real Player sucked

True, but suggesting that flash isn't bad because Real Player exists is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
  • Reply 97 of 223
    If they can't even get full screen video working on a Dell Mini 9 on XP, I doubt they will get Flash working in HD on phones, with most of them not even running a decent ARM CPU. Hardware accelerated? WTF? Like those other phones even have anything remotely close to a GPU in their headsets like the iphone/itouch do!

Heck, even the Wii struggles with Flash, ESPECIALLY the new Flash Lite they put in it.

Quick! What good is flash for? Video? Menus?

Guess what? YouTube clearly shows you don't need the flash wrapper for videos, and there have been Flash alternatives for what it does for years. You can keep being tied to Adobe, or you can join the rest of the world giving them the finger with HTML5.
  • Reply 98 of 223
    I've found flash to be pretty appalling on the mac, I'd go as far to say that the sound of spinning fans hurt my browsing experience. An option for flash on the iPhone would be nice since, when I last checked, not all youtube videos even worked on it. Battery life on the iPhone is pretty pants anyway so that's not a good excuse for keeping flash off. That said, H.264 videos aren't exactly perfect.

It will be interesting to see how far Apple goes to kill flash. They risk hurting their sales and it's a pretty big negative to people (not me as I don't see the point to be honest). And flash will be around at least for the next few years.
  • Reply 99 of 223
    Quote:

No one is stopping you from using Flash on your Mac. I use it on my MacBook Pro.

The only one stopping you from having Flash on the iPhone is Apple.

You too seem to have missed the point.

I don't want to use Flash on my Mac, it's a big resource hogging whale! By making a site Flash only, I don't have the choice to view it without Flash.
  • Reply 100 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Oh well, never mind, I certainly wont shed a tear.

Well it doesn't really matter being that Safari is HTML5 ready. With HTML5, web developers can embed their content right into the web page and they can be played right through the web browser., eliminating the need to even use Flash. It also incorporates H.264 which indeed does deliver some unprecedented detail whether your viewing it over Wired, Wi-Fi or 3G connection. Furthermore, Flash opens another door for hackers to potentially invade your device. Their is a reason why Apple didn't take part in the project. They have something that will probably beat what the industry has to offer. But you never know with Apple, being that they are so damn secretive.