Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 501 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

You're idiotic enough to buy an HDMI cable at BestBuy and have the temerity to label others as "Mac Idiots" (sic).

You have no idea where I live and what purchasing options I have available to me so please keep your arrogant ignorant hole shut.

Would you prefer I pay $30 shipping for a cable overnight? When you need a cable you need a cable. Hell I even got a great Blu Ray player out of the trip to BestBuy.

Now please continue with the Mac know it all complaining when Apple had their best week ever. It's been great.
  • Reply 502 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I worked for a company in Seattle called ModSystems that is heavily invested into by Toshiba (a.k.a. the ones that lost the HD war with Sony). Their goal is to out-do Blu-ray with kiosks that will dispense SD cards for SD enabled TVs and/or players (including computers). That was a stated goal of theirs in late 2007, so I don't know where they are with that today but I'd agree that SD can store more than a blu-ray disc and is more portable. However it isn't as ubiquitous. Does Apple know something we don't since they are privy to industry news?

I was in the CE business up until about 9 months ago (my boss had a run in with a 12 passenger plane and though he survived, could no longer run the company) and I can tell you that the average customer doesn't know where to stick an SD card. And we typically dealt with high-end clientele. Though that may have been Toshiba's plan, many TVs that have SD slots could only use them for displaying pics. BTW, you most likely would need a class 4 minimum SD card to do high bitrate HD video and they're still a bit pricey. An 8GB class 4 Sandisk SDHC card is $36.95 over at B&H.com. Not saying it won't happen, but it's still cheaper to deliver a movie or music on disc than an SD card.
  • Reply 503 of 853
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You have no idea where I live and what purchasing options I have available to me so please keep your arrogant ignorant hole shut.

Would you prefer I pay $30 shipping for a cable overnight? When you need a cable you need a cable. Hell I even got a great Blu Ray player out of the trip to BestBuy.

Now please continue with the Mac know it all complaining when Apple had their best week ever. It's been great.

If I didn't know your name from blu-ray.com I'd ask if you like to stir the pot much. . .
  • Reply 504 of 853
    Quote:

Why? There are lots of movie buffs out there. Plenty of audiophiles spend far more than $11,000 on albums too.

Don't get me started on LP and SACD $$.
  • Reply 505 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I think that discussion would be more at home over at AVSForum.com
  • Reply 506 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I think that discussion would be more at home over at AVSForum.com

OMW! Peace!
  • Reply 507 of 853
    Quote:

If I didn't know your name from blu-ray.com I'd ask if you like to stir the pot much. . .

I guess Best Buy opened a shop in the Isle of Patmos. Otherwise, there is no city on the planet with a BB that doesn't also have literally dozens or even hundreds of vendors that have offered cheap cables for many years.

But I suppose we can't criticize him since we don't know him. He DOES know all of us, though, well enough to denigrate us all as "Mac Idiots."

Anyone who buys Best Buy's cables must be smoking something
  • Reply 508 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I think BestBuy has to charge that because 1 million customers a week buy a Monster cable and keep it for one week while their monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com order comes in. Gotta love the no questions asked return policy.
  • Reply 509 of 853
    Here is what I am planning to buy. I would love to get some recommendations on any shortcomings to this configuration. Eg, is 2x4GB of RAM distinctly better than 4x2GB of RAM (that is, worth the extra dollars)?

Configure your iMac 27-inch:

- 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

- 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB

- 2TB Serial ATA Drive

- ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

- 8x double-layer SuperDrive

- Apple Magic Mouse

- Apple Wireless Keyboard and User's Guide

- Apple Remote

- AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac

- Auto-enrol

Anything there I should change? Graphics OK? I've been told that the 27 inch needs better graphics? How true is that?

In Australia this is coming out at AUD$ 3,822.02 - it's a business expense so that is well within budget.

ps, please shut up about BR and Glossy. It's been done to death already!
  • Reply 510 of 853
    Quote:

Never really got into SACDs but spent a fortune building a vintage turntable recently and of course had to re-buy my music collection on LP.
  • Reply 511 of 853
    Quote:

First off I didn't even know there was a bluray.com but if there is someone there that is amused by incoherent know it all’s that love to tell each other that they're always right I'd like to get to know the person.

Bluray is a tool that gives me entertainment. As are all of my tech toys. I have a HD DVD as well. Is there a nonvendor fan in that room as well?

How about Logitech Harmony Remote room? Sony Room? Light Bulb Room? They are just pieces of tech that give me enjoyment. As are my notebooks, netbook & desktop machines.

They are machines that I don't worship but use as tools.
  • Reply 512 of 853
    Quote:

I guess Best Buy opened a shop in the Isle of Patmos. Otherwise, there is no city on the planet with a BB that doesn't also have literally dozens or even hundreds of vendors that have offered cheap cables for many years.

But I suppose we can't criticize him since we don't know him. He DOES know all of us, though, well enough to denigrate us all as "Mac Idiots."

We all have our quirks, biases and hypocrisies. It takes The Internet to flesh them out.
  • Reply 513 of 853
    Quote:

OMW! Peace!

You know I meant that in good fun.
  • Reply 514 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Here is what I am planning to buy. I would love to get some recommendations on any shortcomings to this configuration. Eg, is 2x4GB of RAM distinctly better than 4x2GB of RAM (that is, worth the extra dollars)?

Configure your iMac 27-inch:

- 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

- 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB

- 2TB Serial ATA Drive

- ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

- 8x double-layer SuperDrive

- Apple Magic Mouse

- Apple Wireless Keyboard and User's Guide

- Apple Remote

- AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac

- Auto-enrol

Anything there I should change? Graphics OK? I've been told that the 27 inch needs better graphics? How true is that?

In Australia this is coming out at AUD$ 3,822.02 - it's a business expense so that is well within budget.

ps, please shut up about BR and Glossy. It's been done to death already!

I think that you should save $200 (USD equiv) and stay with 4Gb RAM. You can upgrade it later yourself for far less once DDR3 prices drop.

Also, for 2D and basic GUI 3D, the 4850 is more than sufficient. You will not be able to run the latest Windoze games at 1440p resolution though. For that, you would need SLI/Crossfire or at least a GTX280 (desktop version). The 27" iMac was not designed as a pure gaming machine, so I suspect that for your intentions with it, you will be fine with the 4850.
  • Reply 515 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're SURE? Not that you think that maybe it will be the case?

You know, other manufacturers AIOs have either been MORE expensive than Apple's, or have been regarded in the reviewing press as being crappy.

The built-in monitors have the potential of being some of the best around, but that awaits testing and calibration.

Actually I am absolutely sure, even if monitor prices turned out to be even. As the upgrade price from the low-end 27" to the i7 27" is $600, yes I realize you get a small bump in video cards also, but the street price between those 2 processors according to an earlier post in this thread is only a $150 difference.
  • Reply 516 of 853
    Quote:

B-R will be fine once the prices of movies drop, more classics get transferred to the format (STILL no Finding Nemo or The Incredibles!!!!). Eventually, DVD will be phased out like VHS, but we are still years away from this happening.

Yes eventually DVD will be phased out, but not before Blu-ray is phased out.
  • Reply 517 of 853
    Quote:

We all have our quirks, biases and hypocrisies. It takes The Internet to flesh them out.

Do you even know when the first bluray player came out? HDMI cables were not cheap and they didn't have a lot of choices, hell I had just got my first receiver about 2 months before that that had HDMI.

Don't preach to me about prices for a cable when I'm in a Mac Forum.
  • Reply 518 of 853
    Quote:

I would argue the same, about people who buy stand-alone blu-ray players.
  • Reply 519 of 853
    Quote:

I think that you should save $200 (USD equiv) and stay with 4Gb RAM. You can upgrade it later yourself for far less once DDR3 prices drop.

Also, for 2D and basic GUI 3D, the 4850 is more than sufficient. You will not be able to run the latest Windoze games at 1440p resolution though. For that, you would need SLI/Crossfire or at least a GTX280 (desktop version). The 27" iMac was not designed as a pure gaming machine, so I suspect that for your intentions with it, you will be fine with the 4850.

thanks. i'd say the most graphic intensive thing i do is watch movies, surf the web, and zoom in on some photos occasionally
  • Reply 520 of 853
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

You forgot to include the fact that SD is substantially more expensive than BR-D, and most SD cards are nowhere near the read/write speeds either.

Keep spewing nonsense though. We are all amused by your idiocy.

You can laugh all you want but can't seemingly avoid name calling in a conversation.

The facts are that Apple, before the holiday season mind you, has eschewed Blu-ray and gone SD in almost all of their systems. If blu-ray were in their future you would believe they'd put it in before the holiday season wouldn't you? Apple would prefer everyone got their content from the iTMS but that's not going to happen so what's the demand for SD card slots then? All cameras have USB so there's no need for SD card slot on the Macs. There went the primary reason of having SD slots.