Apple's new Magic Mouse disassembled with pictures

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never understood why people buy things blind without reading a single review. Must be stockholders.

especially since Apples mice suck. why would anyone buy this next disaster without seeing and using it first hand.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

especially since Apples mice suck. why would anyone buy this next disaster without seeing and using it first hand.

People are fools
  • Reply 23 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I never said I was poor.

True that- to each his own. I hope it works out for you.

I have to check it and all the rest of the new stuff out at lunchtime today. I went Tuesday but nothing was out yet.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. The multi-touch thing seems brilliant... and it's nice that the mouse finally has sides again (instead of the button wrapping all the way down the sides)... but it's WAAAAAAY too small. Way too small and insanely thin. I'd like to try one before deciding for sure... but from the pictures... it looks like the ergonomics will be disastrous. As expected.

I don't really agree, although I haven't tried the mouse yet myself.

Although I too often criticise Apple's ergonomics, especially about mice, it's fair to say that those articles are being a bit disingenuous. The fact is that there is no "ergonomic standard" or even rules when it comes to mice. There is no right way, and no wrong way, and different people use the mouse different ways.

As much as I totally disagree with him, Steve Jobs' answer to why he thought the iMac "hockey puck" mouse (that most hated), was good was that you were supposed to just hold it with your fingertips and not rest your hand on it. Personally, I can't hold a mouse that way, but if you are one of the people that does, he is actually quite correct and the mouse works well in that context. I'm more inclined to lay my hand across the top of the mouse and just move the fingers, (as are a lot of people).

I'd like to see Apple do what no one else has ever done and make mice in varying sizes to accommodate the fact that humans have widely differing hand sizes. My hands for instance are literally twice as big as a friend of mine, but we both use the same mouse.

However, saying that one mouse design or another is "not ergonomic" or words to that effect, as these articles do, is specious. The mouse may not work for the reviewer, but it's an individual thing.

To couch it in absolutes like these articles do is basically to be just making crap up.
  • Reply 25 of 129
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

True that- to each his own. I hope it works out for you.

I have to check it and all the rest of the new stuff out at lunchtime today. I went Tuesday but nothing was out yet.

Let me know what you think of the stuff. Like I say, no SSD option on the iMac is unforgivable. It's retarded. Steve Jobs is retarded.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People are fools

The first step to recovery is admitting it

Considering Apples history with these devices, why not wait and use one at a store first?
  • Reply 27 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't really agree, although I haven't tried the mouse yet myself.

Although I too often criticise Apple's ergonomics, especially about mice, it's fair to say that those articles are being a bit disingenuous. The fact is that there is no "ergonomic standard" or even rules when it comes to mice. There is no right way, and no wrong way, and different people use the mouse different ways.

As much as I totally disagree with him, Steve Jobs' answer to why he thought the iMac "hockey puck" mouse (that most hated), was good was that you were supposed to just hold it with your fingertips and not rest your hand on it. Personally, I can't hold a mouse that way, but if you are one of the people that does, he is actually quite correct and the mouse works well in that context. I'm more inclined to lay my hand across the top of the mouse and just move the fingers, (as are a lot of people).

I'd like to see Apple do what no one else has ever done and make mice in varying sizes to accommodate the fact that humans have widely differing hand sizes. My hands for instance are literally twice as big as a friend of mine, but we both use the same mouse.

However, saying that one mouse design or another is "not ergonomic" or words to that effect, as these articles do, is specious. The mouse may not work for the reviewer, but it's an individual thing.

To couch it in absolutes like these articles do is basically to be just making crap up.

Let me help you understand that there is nothing "specious" to the claim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergonomics

Propping up your fingertips on a mouse like a ballerina and using your digits to dance is ridiculous and not the norm.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

The first step to recovery is admitting it

Considering Apples history with these devices, why not wait and use one at a store first?

He told you he's a fool- now leave him be!
  • Reply 29 of 129
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Wait, so there's no physical click to it at all? That's rather disappointing (though I already have it ordered :P).

No physical clicking would, I think, make it much more ergonomic. Reviewers declaring it not ergonomic based on size alone, clearly don't understand ergonomics, which can't be judged so summarily. Besides, pushing buttons is so old fashioned.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No physical clicking would, I think, make it much more ergonomic. Reviewers declaring it not ergonomic based on size alone, clearly don't understand ergonomics, which can't be judged so summarily. Besides, pushing buttons is so old fashioned.

As mouse- period, is so old fashion. I want one of those hand contraptions like in "Children of Men". Or just a portable bluetooth track pad but not that Bamboo Wacom disaster.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    This is one of those items that reading a review won't help. Mice are very subjective creatures and everything from how they feel when you move them to how hard you have to press to register a click to the ratio of height to width affect how you perceive their effectiveness.

I loved the little nipple on the last mighty mouse for it's fine grit and satisfying rubbery texture. But I grew to hate the rest of the mouse. It brought back memories of a very light Kensington mouse I tried that had a pad for a scroll wheel. The lack of feedback while clicking and scrolling is a deal breaker for me. I just had to try them out for a while to discover this.

I broke with Apple and tried a Logitech VX Revolution. I was hesitant as I've had Apple's wireless mice before and went through batteries too quickly. Logitech's mice, however, don't drink as much juice. The thing I get the most satisfaction with is their rubber-stripped, metal flywheel. It's a scroll button without peer. You can set it to give you gritty feedback or not, where it will spin for several seconds freely.

I also found that I like having 7 buttons. I use 6 of them every day, hundreds of times, mostly for expose functionality.

I ordered the 27" and will try the mouse out, but it has a high hurdle to clear to replace my VX.
  • Reply 32 of 129
    Quote:

Propping up your fingertips on a mouse like a ballerina and using your digits to dance is ridiculous and not the norm.

There's nothing in the link you provide that would support the claim that the Magic Mouse does not have good ergonomics. Nor do reviewers who have used it for at most a day (and many of them probably all of 5 minutes) have any basis for the assertion.

"Using your digits to dance," may not currently be the norm, but it may turn out to be much more ergonomic than traditional buttons. Setting a trackpad to respond to touch and not using it as a button at all is, in my experience, much more ergonomic. The only problem there is that on MacBooks it's in a somewhat awkward position. Having a standalone touch device off to the side, in a more natural position, seems the best arrangement.

And, you don't, "[Prop] up your fingertips," on it, "like a ballerina." You hold it just like the hand in Apple's pictures does and just make small movements of your fingertips. In 3 months, everyone will be rushing copies of this design to the market. Some of them may work better than Apple's, which is fine, but I think the non-ergonomic charges will fade away like breath on a cold morning.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

You're definitely wrong. There are many people who don't palm their mouse.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    Quote:

Already a controversial product:

http://www.i4u.com/article27784.html

Yeah, CNET complains about everything Apple. Maybe the reviewer's hands were too fat.

In any event, I am waiting for mine: will let you know how it works out.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

The only way to operate any mouse is to prop your fingertips on top and make them dance like a ballerina. How do you use your current scroll ball? Jedi mind tricks?
  • Reply 36 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The only way to operate any mouse is to prop your fingertips on top and make them dance like a ballerina. How do you use your current scroll ball? Jedi mind tricks?

I use the part of my finger where one would get a fingerprint taken for identification- not the actual tips adjacent to my nails as Gazoobee suggests!!! You're not playing a piano for crying out loud! That's why people use gelled wrists rests- for exactly as its held.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

TS certainly does mind tricks, but they aren't Jedi mind tricks. They might be Creutzfeldt-Jakob mind tricks.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

You're not playing a piano for crying out loud!

Exaggerated, yet still funny.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    Quote:

That's why people use gelled wrists rests- for exactly as its held.

The reason many people use gelled wrist rests is that the mice they are using are too big -- i.e., too tall -- so they need the wrist rest to get their hand up to the right level. The low profile of the new MM seems perfect for eliminating the need for these. I'd say the new mouse is a knockout, except that it looks more transgenic.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    Quote:

I use the part of my finger where one would get a fingerprint taken for identification

Can you post the pictures they took at the time?