Apple's new Magic Mouse disassembled with pictures

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The reason many people use gelled wrist rests is that the mice they are using are too big -- i.e., too tall -- so they need the wrist rest to get their hand up to the right level. The low profile of the new MM seems perfect for eliminating the need for these. I'd say the new mouse is a knockout, except that it looks more transgenic.

Don't you mean transgendered?
  • Reply 42 of 129
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm not as sure about that. One of the least ergonomic aspects of most mice for me is the scroll wheel. Too much scroll-wheeling and my hand/wrist definitely starts to feel it. Despite a flatter profile I can imagine that doing away with the scroll wheel and allowing some more natural gesture to take its place could offset any problems with the height.

It's too soon for an ergonomic article. Use the thing for a few weeks then tell us about it.

I agree that the new scrolling method will probably be great and a huge improvement. But my concern (if you re-read my post) was with the shape. It is in fact very thin and narrow.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Of all the things Apple has that really NEEDS a non-replaceable, rechargeable battery with a charger is it's mouse! I'm sick and tired of changing batteries as well. And how exactly is this environmentally friendly? I'm supposed now buy an additonal battery recharger out of my pocket and draw more electricity with it? No thanks.

I agree... but bluetooth mice have amazing battery life. Apple is claiming 4 month. I presume that is with alkalines. Use lithium cells and you'll get even more life and the mouse will be a lot lighter too.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I agree that the new scrolling method will probably be great and a huge improvement. But my concern (if you re-read my post) was with the shape. It is in fact very thin and narrow. That's bad ergonomics.

I wonder how it holds up when dropped. Does it split open or crack? The Mighty Mouse always spilled out its guts.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I agree that the new scrolling method will probably be great and a huge improvement. But my concern (if you re-read my post) was with the shape. It is in fact very thin and narrow. That's bad ergonomics.

See the previous comments re gelled wrist rests. I think it's actually excellent ergonomics.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Wait, so there's no physical click to it at all? That's rather disappointing (though I already have it ordered :P).

It DOES click. A real click. Yes. The Gizmodo review specifically LAMENTS that the click is NOT a touch "click" as is possible with a trackpad. And in the Apple demo movies... you can actually see the button depressing and hear it clicking. It clicks (thank god).

Apparently it's better at sensing a touch-based right click too. Which is good. The Mighty Mouse was a huge pain. You have to really make sure you lifted your index finger way up before clicking with your middle finger.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    Quote:

Don't you mean transgendered?

What exactly have you been doing with your mouse?
  • Reply 48 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

especially since Apples mice suck. why would anyone buy this next disaster without seeing and using it first hand.

Just like buying a pair of gloves or shoes, why would anybody buy or even comment unilaterally one way or another any mouse without seeing and using if first hand?
  • Reply 49 of 129
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Later guys. I'm headed over to BestBuy to get a copy of Windows 7.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Later guys. I'm headed over to BestBuy to get a copy of Windows 7.

And then Burger King for lunch?
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

However, saying that one mouse design or another is "not ergonomic" or words to that effect, as these articles do, is specious. The mouse may not work for the reviewer, but it's an individual thing.

True enough. It is frighteningly thin though. I'm skeptically optimistic. I want to love it. The touch thing seems like it would be so awesome. But I'm worried about the shape / size. We'll see. I'll try one out in a store once they arrive. If it seems okay, I'll buy it and try it for a week before deciding if I want to keep it or not. Again though... it looks crazy thin. It looks like another "finger mouse"... and that's not how I mouse.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:

I wonder how it holds up when dropped. Does it split open or crack? The Mighty Mouse always spilled out its guts.

According to iFixit, it won't split open easily.

"Disassembly of the new hardware is not recommended, as the sheer amount of glue holding it together would be difficult to repair once pulled apart." http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic-Mouse/1240/1
  • Reply 53 of 129
    Quote:

It DOES click. A real click. Yes. The Gizmodo review specifically LAMENTS that the click is NOT a touch "click" as is possible with a trackpad. And in the Apple demo movies... you can actually see the button depressing and hear it clicking. It clicks (thank god).

Well, that's a bit of a disappointment, unless you can configure it via software to also not need the click. Apple's description says, "click and double-click anywhere," so perhaps this is the case. The next version will perhaps dispense with the click altogether, and the laser based tracking, and go completely touch. I think this is a much better form factor than a trackpad for touch based computer input*, but too much change all at once might have been more than many could comfortably handle.

* And much better than touch screen which is completely non-ergonomic for anything but handheld devices.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    Used one of these at the local Apple Store last night. I like the touch gesture interface generally, however I use a Logitech thumbball unit all day long so it took some training to use both mouse movement AND gesture successfully. The thing looks damn sexy. I think that if Apple were to come out with a pointing device that was truly a gesture driven device rather than the mouse/gesture hybrid I'd be happier. Weight-wise, it actually felt light in my hand, moved well without a mousepad, and has a solid discernable "click" when you depress the top panel.

Pausing to consider it as a device in general, this may be one of those transitional devices that Apple likes to release enroute to a more sophisticated version. It's now on my purchase list.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Is the Magic Mouse optical or laser?
  • Reply 56 of 129
    Quote:

See the previous comments re gelled wrist rests. I think it's actually excellent ergonomics.

You're free to think that. However... 15 years of 'palming' my mouse is a lot of inertia to overcome. And by the way... anecdotally... I've never had even the slightest twinge of wrist pain, tendonitis, carpal tunnel... etc. No issues.

My current mouse is the MS Wireless Laser Mouse 7000. It's awesome. Love it. Great shape. Super light (for a wireless). And all the buttons I need. I used to use the Revolution but a) they always died after a year and b) they weight a ton.
  • Reply 57 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Is the Magic Mouse optical or laser?

"Magic Mouse uses powerful laser tracking that?s far more sensitive and responsive on more surfaces than traditional optical tracking."

-- http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/
  • Reply 58 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

You're definitely wrong. There are many people who don't palm their mouse.

I'm one of them. While I don't overly mind the size and bulk regular mice, I use, and prefer, a wireless laptop mouse on a daily basis. I don't "palm" it at all - I crank up the tracking speed and "float" the mouse around using my fingertips.

Small mouse + super fast tracking speed = I hardly have to move my arm or wrist at all to move my cursor.

Apples new mouse looks interesting - but I want to try one out before buying. The one thing I could never stand about Apple mice is that the tracking speed is stupidly slow... even when turned up to 100% Fast in System Preferences. If the tracking speed on this thing is fast, then I may get one.

It's going to take a lot to want to replace my Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. This new Apple mouse is about 50% there. Hand on will either seal or kill the deal.

... for the record - finger tip user or not, the puck mouse sucked.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Quote:

Well, that's a bit of a disappointment, unless you can configure it via software to also not need the click. Apple's description says, "click and double-click anywhere," so perhaps this is the case. The next version will perhaps dispense with the click altogether, and the laser based tracking, and go completely touch. I think this is a much better form factor than a trackpad for touch based computer input*, but too much change all at once might have been more than many could comfortably handle.

* And much better than touch screen which is completely non-ergonomic for anything but handheld devices.

Yes... tactile feedback sucks. I guess that's why companies are working so hard to add tactile feedback to touch screens eh? And how exactly would a mouse without tracking work?

p.s. you can "click anywhere" because the entire top portion is a button. It's not a reference to the touch capabilities.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Must be nice to have $70+ to burn.

You spend that much a month on cable tv though, right?