Exclusive look at Apple's new iPod touch-based EasyPay checkout

Comments

• Reply 101 of 152
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How do you know? There is a card reader and scanner attached to the iPod, with a USB port on the bottom. Article says nothing about the operation of the device. Internet purchases are not done on a portable device in the hands of another person.

But if you are gullible enough to think these devices are foolproof and secure, then make your purchases with them. Having your credit/debit card info stolen is the first step in identity theft. I would rather use a fixed point of sale device than a portable hand held device.

The account information on store servers is much more juicy, but of course harder to get than the data stored on a portable device. Store servers have been hacked, thousands of credit card numbers have been obtained. If that happens, it doesn't matter if you paid through this device or a fixed point of sale. If someone could get usable data off of this device, they could probably pull it off the device at work before they went home for the day too.

If you really want to protect yourself, ditch all your cards, pay in cash, get paid in cash and don't have a bank account... At some point everyone needs to determine an acceptable level of risk for themselves. Personally, I am more than willing to make use of mobile P.O.S. devices.
  • Reply 102 of 152
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe but it is not easy enough. He has a Nokia which works perfectly for him and he runs all kinds of apps on it, which he installed by himself. He is really a savvy guy and very capable. He goes everywhere all by himself even travels internationally without any help. But the iPhone is a definite no go.

Does it have haptic touch? Or is it touch screen at all?
  • Reply 103 of 152
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does it have haptic touch? Or is it touch screen at all?

regular buttons with screen reader to voice
  • Reply 104 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let?s get it straight. You whined, and I called you out on your idiocy for expecting a touch-based device to be ideal for the blind and your assumption that Apple is purposely shunning the blind by going with a touch-based phone. I?m surprised you haven?t stated that Apple is purposely shunning those without arms/hands/fingers by making the iPhone a finger-based multi-touch device.

I suppose you've never heard of haptic touch?
  • Reply 105 of 152
    Thanks for the article, I'm wondering if Apple will sell this outside of their own retail stores. I see a significant market at the right price point. You inspired a blog post on the subject at http://bit.ly/3n0Wee
  • Reply 106 of 152
    Quote:

I suppose you've never heard of haptic touch?

Please list all touch screen phones currently equipped with that technology. Why are you anti-Apple on everything? I know you love your iPhone and iPod touch, bla, bla, bla but in virtually every thread you nitpick over some detail that Apple has missed and can't be forgiven for. Some of your points are legitimate, but many are not. It isn't a case that your posts are sometimes reasonable, just that sometimes Apple does make a glaring mistake or omission. The lack of haptic feedback would not fall into that category.
  • Reply 107 of 152
    I call B.S. FAKE!!!!!

It has a replaceable battery. Ha!!!
  • Reply 108 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Please list all touch screen phones currently equipped with that technology. Why are you anti-Apple on everything? I know you love your iPhone and iPod touch, bla, bla, bla but in virtually every thread you nitpick over some detail that Apple has missed and can't be forgiven for. Some of your points are legitimate, but many are not. It isn't a case that your posts are sometimes reasonable, just that sometimes Apple does make a glaring mistake or omission. The lack of haptic feedback would not fall into that category.

What are you talking about? He's talking about making the iPhone useable for the blind and all I did was suggest haptic touch? Jeesh!

Sometimes feel like a polygamist with about 6-10 nagging wives!
  • Reply 109 of 152
    Good grief, what a lot of uninformed paranoia about security. Apple have been using hand held terminals to accept card payments on the floor of their stores for YEARS. What's the big deal that they're changing the terminals now? And so what if someone steals your card number and makes an unauthorised purchase? One phonecall to the bank and you get it refunded, with interest. Happened to me precisely once in what, twenty years? And of course, it's infinitely more likely to occur if you use your card in a poky little restaurant somewhere. If you're that worried, cut up your credit card and stick to cash... and hope you don't get mugged.
  • Reply 110 of 152
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

There is zero difference between this and wally world, it's just wireless. Why would they make it any harder than it has to be?

It's only acting as the screen pad they have attached at their lanes(wally world). It be like stealing one of those and thinking you'll have a bunch of CC #'s but nope they'll be on a server somewhere remote.

but what i can see it screen capture security. It look as though the CC # is displayed right in screen. That would allow for user to activate a screen capture. Hopefully Apple would be smart enough to disable said feature.

Your reference must be a local thing because most people only know Wally World as the fictional amusement park that Clark W. Griswold took his family to, and it was closed when they got there.
  • Reply 111 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe but it is not easy enough. He has a Nokia which works perfectly for him and he runs all kinds of apps on it, which he installed by himself. He is really a savvy guy and very capable. He goes everywhere all by himself even travels internationally without any help. But the iPhone is a definite no go.

With the 30-pin connector access hopefully someone will make an attachment to assist the visually impaired better, like an overlay for the display that creates a robust force feedback for the blind and/or uses actual buttons for navigation. I’d think a D-Pad for moving between fields would be efficient.

Maybe the next revision of the iPhone will include a force feedback option to further the iPhone’s evolution. Regular users could use it for navigation without site for a virtual click wheel of even using it with headphones on and pressing a button to see who the caller is or an SMS is from by having it read to use without actually looking at the device or accepting the call. Though I feel that none of these will actually happen until at least 2 revisions.

For the blind, this is still an issue as you’d still have to do the double-click to execute a command once you’ve analysed what is on the display through force feedback. I’m surprised not more accessories for the 30-pin connector are not out yet. It’s been in the SDK since March and there were demoed products a year prior before it was officially allowed.
  • Reply 112 of 152
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

The risk is ever present, and Apple using iPod Touches doesn?t make it any worse. You give your cars keys to some valet who may not even be a legal citizen or your CC or money to a waiter who walks out of site. You put your card and PIN into an ATM that may not be a real ATM. You buy things online from companies that may not be legit, may have poor security or felonious employees. Or the connection from each end could be compromised, including your PC or their servers.

Nothing has changed, but at least there are assurances that you will get your fund back or the charges dropped. If one is worried they need to work only in cash that you retrieve in person from a bank teller, or have a low limit CC that they use for less-secure purchases that you pay off frequently (this is what I do), and shred any and all documents that contain any personal information. Also, don?t use your mother?s real maiden name as a secret answer.

The risk I am talking about isn't fraudulent charges on your credit card, I am talking about the increased chance of identity theft, which is far more damaging. Pulling information from the credit card is usually how it starts. Why increase the chances by making a purchase from a hand-held device when there is less of a chance of it happening from a fixed point of sale terminal? Best not to do things that make you a target.
  • Reply 113 of 152
    Quote:

What are you talking about? He's talking about making the iPhone useable for the blind and all I did was suggest haptic touch? Jeesh!

Sometimes feel like a polygamist with about 6-10 nagging wives!

The cumulative effect of your posts leads to those responses. Maybe they aren't warranted on an individual level, but collectively they are. Would it kill you to acknowledge the steps Apple has taken toward accessibility instead of looking for one that they haven't?

Edit: My response had less to do with the content of your post, but the context.
  • Reply 114 of 152
    Quote:

The risk I am talking about isn't fraudulent charges on your credit card, I am talking about the increased chance of identity theft, which is far more damaging. Pulling information from the credit card is usually how it starts. Why increase the chances by making a purchase from a hand-held device when there is less of a chance of it happening from a fixed point of sale terminal? Best not to do things that make you a target.

I understand what you are getting at, but I?m under the impression that data isn?t usually stored on the devices and that the risk is low. what I?d be more concerned with an employee being able to press the Home and Sleep buttons to take a snapshot of the info, including the signature, and then forwarding the images from the device. Though I would bet that this feature is disabled and that the network for these devices is walled without access to the open internet used in the stores.
  • Reply 115 of 152
    Quote:

A portable device that reads credit cards and stores that information, including your signature! In other words, a portable device for stealing someone's identity! No thanks.

You should stay away from all technology.
  • Reply 116 of 152
    Quote:

The cumulative effect of your posts leads to those responses. Maybe they aren't warranted on an individual level, but collectively they are. Would it kill you to acknowledge the steps Apple has taken toward accessibility instead of looking for one that they haven't?

You used a complex, compound sentences with words that are high school and above level. Do you think he?ll be able to comprehend what you wrote. If so, then you have more faith than I do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

You should stay away from all technology.

You are coming across as a bit of luddite, Hillstones.

Seriosuly though, Apple?s been using handheld PoS devices for years without known incident. I?m more concerned by people foolishly filling out Facebook and MySpace questionnaires and passing them on or accepting anyone as a friend. Hell, even a real friend who has their account hacked can be giving up your previously private information.
  • Reply 117 of 152
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I’ll bite. What about Motorola’s Symbol business is so well structured that a new player in the market that is considerably cheaper, faster, versatile and more robust will not affect their business?

Nothing, but to think that what you see here from Apple is it, is just a little bit backware. Symbol has an entire line of products that this easypay doesn't even go close to.

Remember Compaq, and HP has been producing cheaper Windows CE/PPC devices for a long time, with bar code scanners, and card readers as well.

initial cost of the product is not the only requirement when a business is purchasing a device, and I not sure what you mean by more robust, how does the iPod go dropping 6 feet to a concrete floor?
  • Reply 118 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Nothing, but to think that what you see here from Apple is it, is just a little bit backware. Symbol has an entire line of products that this easypay doesn't even go close to.

Remember Compaq, and HP has been producing cheaper Windows CE/PPC devices for a long time, with bar code scanners, and card readers as well.

initial cost of the product is not the only requirement when a business is purchasing a device, and I not sure what you mean by more robust, how does the iPod go dropping 6 feet to a concrete floor?

If this case can do this I'm sure that an iPod Touch in these cases could survive a 6 foot drop.
  • Reply 119 of 152
    Quote:

If this case can do this I'm sure that an iPod Touch in these cases could survive a 6 foot drop.

I?d put money on an iPod Touch built into a case the same size that those Symbol devices surviving a higher drop. I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air to protect my 3GS and to supply double the battery. I?ve dropped it many times from many heights on many hard surfaces, even kicked it once by accident and it still works fine and has nary a scratch.
  • Reply 120 of 152
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Which of course increases the cost of the device, and then you have to purchase it from a third party