Review: Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Ireland,

You are so right in stating that the Logitech is a good mouse.

I have small hands more suited to the Evolution though I have a rechargeable Revolution which I use when the batteries in the Evolution die. I use a separate battery charger for the Evolution mouse.

Don't mention your hands, whether they are big or small--and most people's hands aren't extraordinarily big or small when it really comes down to it--the size of folks hands isn't an excuse for Apple not understand what a mouse is meant to be. This is nothing more than Steve Jobs being a stubborn SOB. If you think Johnny Ive has last say on design for the products that go out the door I'd bet you'd be wrong. When I say "you" I don't mean you sequitur, I mean people in general. Steve makes a lot of good decisions, that's why he is where he is, but his decisions are not "always" good, and somethings misguided.

Thanks for speaking your mind, especially because your making sense. I am sick of people defending Apple on the mouse front. They do not have a f****** clue.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't mention your hands, whether they are big or small--and most people's hands aren't extraordinarily big or small when it really comes down to it--the size of folks hands isn't an excuse for Apple not understand what a mouse is meant to be. This is nothing more than Steve Jobs being a stubborn SOB. If you think Johnny Ive has last say on design for the products that go out the door I'd bet you'd be wrong. When I say "you" I don't mean you sequitur, I mean people in general. Steve makes a lot of good decisions, that's why he is where he is, but his decisions are not "always" good, and somethings misguided.

Thanks for speaking your mind, especially because your making sense. I am sick of people defending Apple on the mouse front. They do not have a f****** clue.

Ireland, what you need to understand is that not everyone is a mouse "palmer". If Apple were producing more than one mouse, there might be room in the lineup for an "ergonomic" mouse that fit the hand for those of you that prefer such an option.

The rest of us do not like that kind of mouse. And the Magic Mouse is designed with us in mind.

If Apple were to produce only one mouse, and that mouse were a form-fitting glob that you (Ireland) would find absolutely perfect, I would never buy it, because I hate that kind of mouse. Regardless of aesthetics.

Apple did not make a "horrible" mouse this time. They made a great mouse. Just not the mouse you wanted.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ireland, what you need to understand is that not everyone is a mouse "palmer". If Apple were producing more than one mouse, there might be room in the lineup for an "ergonomic" mouse that fit the hand for those of you that prefer such an option.

Oh do get out.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    It would seem that the Magic mouse is the #1 best selling mouse on Amazon. Prime members are now told that it will ship in 2-5 weeks. Same with the 27" iMac. It seems I'm not the only one big on the new Apple products.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

It would seem that the Magic mouse is the #1 best selling mouse on Amazon. Prime members are now told that it will ship in 2-5 weeks. Same with the 27" iMac. It seems I'm not the only one big on the new Apple products.

But I thought you were the guy who bought those 3M Macs?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

But I thought you were the guy who bought those 3M Macs?

I don't know what that means, sorry. I currently own a MBP and a 20" iMac from previous generations but fairly modern. I am moving up to the 27" by selling my current Macs on ebay. That is how I stay current and afford my Mac addiction.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

I don't know what that means, sorry.

I thought you were the one who bought those 3 Million Macs
  • Reply 28 of 48
    I just returned my magic mouse. I tried it out in the store before buying and didn't have any trouble with it, very intuitive and performed just as expected. However, after a few days of using it my hand really started to cramp up. I have average size hands but I think the mouse was just too small and flat for me.

I found myself having to squeeze the mouse with my thumb and pinky to move it. Granted, this wasn't a lot of pressure but over the course of several hours, your hand really felt the discomfort of being in an unnatural position over an extended period of time. I suppose the muscles in my hand would eventually get stronger and the mouse would become more comfortable. This seems ridiculous to have to work out your hand before you can comfortably use a mouse...

So if anyone is thinking of getting the magic mouse, hold on to your receipt and give it a few days to make sure it works for you. I love the idea of the multi-touch surface and worked beautifully but it just needs to be incorporated into a larger, more rounded mouse. A multi-touch mighty mouse wouldn't have been as cool looking but would be far more functional.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    I've had my Magic Mouse for 3 weeks now and LOVE it; especially with Expose control back thanks to Middle-Click:

http://github.com/galonsky/MiddleClick/downloads

This simple hack allows you to have the Magic Mouse recognize 3-fingers down on the mouse as a 'middle click' which can then be assigned in Expose preferences to All Windows. Now I have 90% of the functionality I want in a mouse combined with the Magic Mouse's sweet scrolling, sexy exterior, and good feel.

Left Click

Right Click

Middle Click

Swipe L

Swipe R

The Magic Mouse now has 5 'buttons'. I expect this will only grow as Apple or others increase the multi-touch vocabulary of the device.

Highly Recommend Middle Click to anyone with a Magic Mouse; installs simply, launches at boot; works flawlessly.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

I've had my Magic Mouse for 3 weeks now and LOVE it; especially with Expose control back thanks to Middle-Click:

Highly Recommend Middle Click to anyone with a Magic Mouse; installs simply, launches at boot; works flawlessly.

Brilliant!
  • Reply 31 of 48
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Just a comment from someone who uses Zoom extensively.

I set up the option key + scroll to implement Zoom. I find that I can flick a finger on the mouse surface while holding down the option key with a finger on the other hand – works really well. Zoom also has the momentum capability, which I find useful.

I also like the regular scrolling quite well in all directions.

What also helps is to use Zoom in combination with narrowed windows on any text (like HTML) that responds by readjusting the wrap-around of text to the length of the window. So, you can have large text in a narrow window to make the reading task more vertical – no need to move the mouse pointer right or left beyond the edge of a window or your screen. In other words, fitting readable text to the window or screen size is much easier and quicker with the new Magic Mouse.

The value of this mouse well matches the expense of the mouse for me.

Edit: For text that is Zoomed but cannot be forced to flow into a narrower window – go ahead and narrow the window, and then lightly touch the mouse to shift left or right as needed as well as the usual up and down. Here, you are taking advantage of the rails on the bottom of the mouse for stickiness greater than the sideways touch of your finger. This is more convenient than moving the mouse itself over a surface.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

This simple hack allows you to have the Magic Mouse recognize 3-fingers down on the mouse as a 'middle click' which can then be assigned in Expose preferences to All Windows. Now I have 90% of the functionality I want in a mouse combined with the Magic Mouse's sweet scrolling, sexy exterior, and good feel.

Left Click

Right Click

Middle Click

Swipe L

Swipe R

The Magic Mouse now has 5 'buttons'. I expect this will only grow as Apple or others increase the multi-touch vocabulary of the device.

Thanks for referral; I'll follow-up.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Middle Click doesn't work at the moment with the Magic Mouse on any machine with a multi-touch trackpad.

But you can get middle click functionality on the Magic Mouse with "Better Touch Tool"

http://blog.boastr.net/

The UI is kind of a mess and not everything works with the Magic Mouse, but it does add middle click support on laptops, and as a bonus gives you a full GUI control for mouse tracking well beyond wht the Apple control panel provides.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Middle Click doesn't work at the moment with the Magic Mouse on any machine with a multi-touch trackpad.

But you can get middle click functionality on the Magic Mouse with "Better Touch Tool"

http://blog.boastr.net/

The UI is kind of a mess and not everything works with the Magic Mouse, but it does add middle click support on laptops, and as a bonus gives you a full GUI control for mouse tracking well beyond wht the Apple control panel provides.

I'm using MiddleClick from the link/post I made earlier on a 2009 15"Macbook Pro with Multi-Touch, so 'what you talkin about Willis?'

Works great. Simply launch the app (put it in your startup) and you have a menu-bar option for 3finger tap or 3finger click; then go into System Preferences and set Expose to use the middle mouse click.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Note to Apple, it would be really easy to solve this by implementing a middle click as a two finger click.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I have just begun using the new wireless touch-pad mouse; I don't have any issues with it except for the inability in preferences to disable, either system-wide, or better yet, application-specific, the horizontal scrolling. When working with a Pages or Word document, 99 percent of the time we are scrolling either up or down, in other words forwards and backwards, in the document; the mouse, however, if a movement is made on its surface which is not exactly up/down, will initiate a sideways scroll in the document, which is most aggravating. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd like to read it. If anyone at Apple is reading, I'd like to see the option to turn off horizontal scroll (realizing that this could provoke problems if I didn't want horizontal document scrolling but still wanted to use a two-finger swipe left-right; perhaps an option could be to force use two-fingers for horizontal scrolls?)
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Not enough buttons on that Magic Mouse for you? Here's the answer
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Not enough buttons on that Magic Mouse for you? Here's the answer

No, here's the answer for the Magic Mouse:

• Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

No, here's the answer for the Magic Mouse:

Well, that's your answer, whereas I and many others love ours. I even have mine set up with a triple click to invoke Exposé and double swipe up and down to zoom in and out in Firefox and iPhoto. It's a lovely mouse, but aesthetics aside, it's a joy to use. If your hands aren't used to holding a mouse with the thumb and fourth fingers and not resting your palm on it, give it a few days and you'll find the muscles in your hand quickly adapt, just like your body adapts to any new physical activity.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Well, that's your answer.

Yeah, cause I have a real mouse.