Mac OS X 10.6.2 to update nearly 150 Snow Leopard components

Comments

• Reply 141 of 168
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    How can you hate SL or Leopard when SL is leopard, just enhanced? I have experienced issues, like when I hit new tab on Safari, the Top Sites make the window really really choppy, anyone experience that?

I'm running 2GB, I know it's a no no but it's stock!

I find that the SL is awesome for 30 bucks it can't be beat!
  • Reply 142 of 168
    tubetube Posts: 14member
    My 10.6 exerience: I've had two kernel panic crashes w/SL, one since updating to 10.6.1. I don't remember this ever happening with prior OSX's. Not the biggest deal in the world, just mentioning it.

Also, w/iPhoto 08 when using the scroll arrows, the date block sometimes gets stuck on the screen even after closing windows/switching/hiding. Relaunch the program, it goes away. Again, I've never seen this happen before 10.6.

I don't see much improvement overall, but understand that most of the enhancements are 'under the hood' w/SL. I'm not complaining and certainly didn't mind spending the $25 at BestBuy for the update at the time. FWIW I don't use any third-party system stuff and my apps are pretty standard on a 4GB 08 MacBook.
  • Reply 143 of 168
    Since this has devolved into a "SL works/ SL sucks" thread, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I work in an office that has 3 Macs on the same network. We are the graphics department at my company (go figure). I'm not a graphic designer, I'm the photographer. We have 2 Intel Macs and a G5. I was the guinea pig when SL came out because my art director didn't want to put it on his Mac Pro, but he wanted me to try it out to see what problems we had. I had a printer issue right off the bat, as my 20" white iMac 2.33GHz wouldn't "see" the Lexmark printer we had in the room, but after we figured out that the other computers had to share the printer on the network in System Preferences, everything was fine. I won't tell you how long that took us to figure out, though, cuz its kinda embarassing! The only other app that we have that is essential to the work that we do that wouldn't work was Cocoapotrace. If you don't know what that is, it's only the greatest raster-to-vector conversion program out there, and we get a lot of raster art that needs to be converted to vector. There was just recently an update, so it now works fine in Snow Leopard. We use Illustrator, PS and InDesign CS4 on a regular basis and have had no problems with those programs. SL is faster than Leopard at most tasks and only a few hiccups have been observed, primarily longer waits when trying to print files from the CS4 programs, but I assume that Adobe will fix that soon. Hoping anyway. So far Snow Leopard has been a good release as far as stability and speed are concerned, as we haven't had many problems with our Macs that are production machines used for actual work every day. Time Machine backups are significantly faster too!
  • Reply 144 of 168
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I have no "stability" issues with Snow Leopard, and I doubt that a significant number of other users do either. Like all of the versions of OSX going back many years, I've never seen it crash or become unresponsive. My issue with Snow Leopard is that Apple revised Preview in a way that broke its word search function completely. I don't know how they managed to wipe out one of Preview's most useful features so utterly, but they did. With all this talk about vague or theoretical problems with Snow Leopard, I don't know why nobody wants to discuss a real one.

I'm just finding this out. Not only did they screw up the search function, they also changed the way you choose the highlight colors. In the old version, if you wanted to change the highlight colors, you just pulled up the color box and select what shade you want. Now you have only about 8 choices. Heck I use 3 different shades of yellow in my highlighting, now I've only got one.

In addition, it's more work to have to highlight because they moved the button on the bottom AND they made it smaller.

Dang it Apple, if it's working, DON"T fix it.

Does anybody know if you can run the older preview version in SL?
  • Reply 145 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Does anybody know if you can run the older preview version in SL?

No, you can't. Out of desperation I tried that -- doesn't launch.
  • Reply 146 of 168
    Quote:

No, you can't. Out of desperation I tried that -- doesn't launch.

"Out of desperation?" lol

I scan and data mine lots of PDF documents, this new version makes it harder for me to do this. I'm thinking I'm going to partition my external FW HD and install OS X 10.5 on it just so I can use it for preview. But before I do this, I'm going to try some shareware PDF programs to see if there are any ones I like. I used to use Skim and I remember that I liked it.
  • Reply 147 of 168
    Please let me know if any of them work better than Preview. Desperation is the right word for my circumstances.

I've also noticed that the new, "improved" Preview is even more of a RAM hog than the old version.
  • Reply 148 of 168
    Quote:

Please let me know if any of them work better than Preview. Desperation is the right word for my circumstances.

I've also noticed that the new, "improved" Preview is even more of a RAM hog than the old version.

Sure, if I find some I like, I'll report back.

I did play around with Preview some more last night and one thing I noticed that I like is that you can highlight text by just doing the selecting text action. This is a time saver as you don't have to move the mouse up to the highlight button after you've selected the text you want to highlight.

Another thing I've noticed with Preview is that when you search for a word, it highlights all of them. This is nice but I don't think there is a way to make the highlighted found words permanent. If there was, that would make my day because I've once manually highlighted a word in one document over 400 times. It'd be nice if you could make those found highlighted words, permanently highlighted with a click of a button (I'm going to send this idea to Apple).
  • Reply 149 of 168
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:

I does, but the old one is automatically deleted.

It kind of sort of does something similar to an archive and install - but it's not an archive and install.

For example, it automatically keeps patches so you are at the same point release. While 90% of the time that is probably fine, what if a certain point release caused you a problem and you need to roll back? You used to be able to do so pretty easily with an archive and install. Now you have to basically do a clean install of the OS and then manually run the migration assistant. Certainly not as easy or convenient.

Quote:

The "clean install" is mythical because no such option actually exists.

Huh? So it doesn't exist if there isn't an option for it?

Quote:

Maybe you think I'm just being pedantic

I know your are being pedantic

Quote:

but as I said before, I pity the poor novice user who gets this advice because they will be confused if they try to do it. That's only my first argument against the so-called clean install.

I dunno - clean install sounds pretty drastic to me. I don't know of many novices that would attempt something like that if they aren't comfortable with it. Maybe the novices you know are just more adventurous then the novices I know. And even then, hopefully before anyone does any major upgrade with an OS they at least have a backup. With TimeMachine this is now pretty darn simple (attach an external drive and either answer yes, or go into preferences and turn it on).

You can format a hard drive, perform a clean install of the OS and then use the migration assistant to move your stuff back - pretty easy to do a clean install on a Mac. Certainly easier then on Windows.

Having said all that, the option for Archive and Install as they used to offer is still useful and I'm sad to see it is no longer available.
  • Reply 150 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Your sentiments sum it up for me too - a little disappointing:

1. Print issues with airport express. Worked in Leopard, not in SL. Finally had to set up an old mac as a print server to get it working. Even with the new printer drivers.

2. Lots of random safari crashes

3. Constant pop up messages about various kext files being incompatible. I had 12 in a row yesterday.

4. Does not seem that some developers had enough time to get their software compatible and seemed to be caught by surprise that it was released earlier than anticipated.

5. Had a lot of permissions issues

6. Quicktime X is a step backwards.

It has not affected me but the user account deleting everything is a serious issue. If MS had done something like this they would have been mercilessly mocked on this forum. Apple should release a fix for this as soon as they figure out a solution and not wait for the 10.6.2 release.

QuickTime X is a step backwards in functionality, not architecture and implementation moving forward. More and more functionality will roll in, over each update.
  • Reply 151 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Huh? So it doesn't exist if there isn't an option for it?

I'd answer your question if you hadn't already answered it yourself.

Many people come to boards like this to ask for advice. Giving people advice to try a procedure that won't actually exist when they try to follow the advice, is a prescription for disaster. Given that the advice is to wipe your hard drive completely and start over, I'd say giving that advice should be pretty damn precise or you should not give it.
  • Reply 152 of 168
    I don't know if anybody has reported this or if it's a problem with my computer (macbook pro) but I can't turn off my airport via the menubar icon or from the system control panel.
  • Reply 153 of 168
    Quote:

I don't know if anybody has reported this or if it's a problem with my computer (macbook pro) but I can't turn off my airport via the menubar icon or from the system control panel.

Is the option missing/grayed out, or does it simply not work? (I don't see that problem here.)
  • Reply 154 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist.
  • Reply 155 of 168
    Quote:

Is the option missing/grayed out, or does it simply not work? (I don't see that problem here.)

It's not greyed out in the menubar nor is it greyed out out in the system control panel. I also tried deleting the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist as the next poster suggested and rebooted, that didn't work either.

I've using a 2.16GHz MBP.
  • Reply 156 of 168
    So you're saying you can select "Turn Airport Off" and nothing happens?
  • Reply 157 of 168
    Quote:

So you're saying you can select "Turn Airport Off" and nothing happens?

Yes. The button stayed un-grayed out as did the button in the control panel.

However, I just got it fixed. I repaired permissions and then I deleted 3 files from the following folder:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

I deleted the 'com.apple.airport.preferences.plist' file and two other related ones and now it works.

Now I'm going to install 10.6.2.
  • Reply 158 of 168
    Hey guys, I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. It's 2:00 in the morning and I NEED to be working on my machine right now, but I can't. Here's what happened:

I installed the latest Snow Leopard update on to my 24" iMac, and after the obligatory restart, it has now been frozen on the blank loading screen for almost a hour. Just the default SL desktop background with the eternal pinwheel. When not touched, the screen saver comes on, but that's all.

Somebody PLEASE help, preferably as soon as possible, I'm desperate! Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 159 of 168
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WWJBD View Post

Hey guys, I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. It's 2:00 in the morning and I NEED to be working on my machine right now, but I can't. Here's what happened:

I installed the latest Snow Leopard update on to my 24" iMac, and after the obligatory restart, it has now been frozen on the blank loading screen for almost a hour. Just the default SL desktop background with the eternal pinwheel. When not touched, the screen saver comes on, but that's all.

Somebody PLEASE help, preferably as soon as possible, I'm desperate! Thanks in advance.

Unplug it then turn it back on.
  • Reply 160 of 168
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Wow this update caused a very disgusting graphics problem in Top Sites for me. Blurry panes as they fade in and out. Looks really horrible.

Interesting, considering the second fix on list is supposed to be for a similar named problem.