Intel Atom support officially missing from Mac OS X 10.6.2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

Ok Apple, I get it. No more hackintoshes because you are hacked.

We are hacked too, because people REALLY do want NETBOOKS - not oversized iPhone iTablets.

The least you can do is give us a 10" MacBook Air !

There is some extra space to the left and right of the keyboard on the Macbook Air. Hopefully Apple engineers can find a way to shrink it down to the very edges of the keyboard and give us an 11" Macbook Air. Hey, we can dream can't we?
  • Reply 42 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Is Apple going down the Microsoft road of insecure/buggy OS in order to cause updates and breaking of hackintoshes?

Where the hell did that come from?
  • Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

The question to that is, why did they not also cut out the code for Centrinos? or Pentiums?

LOL. Noob!

Centrino is the brand name for the Mobo+CPU+GPU+WiFi combo provided by Intel. The CPUs initially started out as Pentiums (4s I think), but Centrino actually includes whatever the current generation of CPUs happen to be.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

LOL. Noob!

The CPUs initially started out as Pentiums (4s I think)

Before you start calling others "Noob", you should make sure you know what you are talking about.

What CPUs started out as Pentium 4s? The Pentium 4? What about the Pentium 3, Pentium 2, and original Pentium? Don't forget the Pentium MMX or Pentium Pro. You could throw the Pentium 2 Xeon and Pentium 3 Xeon into the mix as well if you like.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

Before you start calling others "Noob", you should make sure you know what you are talking about.

What CPUs started out as Pentium 4s? The Pentium 4? What about the Pentium 3, Pentium 2, and original Pentium? Don't forget the Pentium MMX or Pentium Pro. You could throw the Pentium 2 Xeon and Pentium 3 Xeon into the mix as well if you like.

By "The CPUs", I'll expand the sentence fully, maybe brevity wasn't such a good idea after all.

The CPUs [used in the Centrino Chipsets] started out as Pentium (4s I think). As in I wasn't sure whether the first Centrino chipsets indeed used the Pentium 3.

There were two ways you could have read my sentence, and you've gone out of your way to assume I meant the incorrect way.

I was doing computer studies at college when the 486-DX was state of the art, so spare me the CPU history lesson, I've lived all of Intel's x86 life.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    Can someone post the support notes of a release of OS X which did officially support Atom. As far as I am aware, no release has ever officially supported it as there are no Atom bases Apple products.

I think people get confused between 'officially supporting' and 'able to run on'. The fact that previous releases of OS X have run on Atom processors is not Apple officially supporting the processor. They may have included this functionality whilst they develop their answer to the Netbook, maybe the much rumoured but yet unseen Tablet. However, I would suspect a Tablet computer would use iPhone OS rather than OS X.

Phil
  • Reply 47 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Can someone post the support notes of a release of OS X which did officially support Atom. As far as I am aware, no release has ever officially supported it as there are no Atom bases Apple products.

I think people get confused between 'officially supporting' and 'able to run on'. The fact that previous releases of OS X have run on Atom processors is not Apple officially supporting the processor.

Very good point indeed.

Although the headline reads:

Intel Atom support officially missing from Mac OS X 10.6.2

and not:

Official Intel Atom support missing from Mac OS X 10.6.2

The first one meaning it has been confirmed that 10.6.2 removes support for Atom. Only if it was phrased the second way would it have meant 'officially supported'
  • Reply 48 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

the atom is the crappiest cpu on the market, via included.

That said its very obvious most of them are doing a diservice to themselves by not buying a superior apple products. Although with most of these computer modders/geek guys it's much less of an actual attempt to get a working computer to get their job done and more of a perennial moding/testing thing, a sexual thing really, subverted.

I have an iBook, MacBook, AppleTV, iPhone, TimeCapsule, mobileMe, iPods and iMac from Apple. So I know their quality and longlievity.

I do have a Hackintosh too. And guess what ? I like it. Its small, its light, its (replaceable) battery [not that I acre] lasts 5.5 - 6 hours for the basic things that i do most of the day with a/any PC. Write mails, work, internet browsing, content sharing.

No it is not for content creation. But plugging in a camera and uploading the pics to facebook and mobileMe works a treat. Now why on earth would I wanna do that with a windows machine, given the rest of my config
  • Reply 49 of 100
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yes, I know the Mini and Macbook can hook-up to HDTV. I've heard it plenty of times. There are many converter cables but I like the simplicity of one cable. That is especially important on such a small device where every bit of real estate is precious. On at least the Dell Mini Netbook there's no optical drive but there's an SD card (sound familiar?).

I'm talking about Apple missing the netbook boat. Windows 7, even the starter edition on netbooks, is a good OS. Is it as good as OSX? I my opinion not quite but pretty close. Hopefully Apple will distance themselves from Windows 7 in the next OSX release.

So for a $349 base price I can do what the Mini can and have a keyboard, glidepad (mouse essentially), and a monitor for $250 less. I could almost buy two of them. And the Mini is visually more appealing.

The cons of the Mini are that it feels cheap on the glidepad, there's no optical drive (that's extra), and Dell clutters up the display with their own Mac OSX dock rip off. Other than that it is a rocking system. Apple only needs to introduce their own at $599 with similar specs and they'd sell like hotcakes. Why they don't make netbooks, mini towers, blades etc is anyone's guess. They feel they don't need to but maybe they would be in the top 5 computer manufacturers in the world if they did.

I'm still a Mac OSX fan and will always be but I'm also a Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, RIM, and HP fan when they make good products too.

The only thing on SD that I would ever use is the occasional picture. Takes all of 2 seconds to plug in a USB reader when I need it. SD is nice and all when I used it once every few months. My latest camera comes with wireless. I just send them directly to my PC.

Why in the world would you want a HTPC with no optical drive? Don't watch anything on DVD much I take it. To each his own I suppose. The optical drive is standard on the base mini. It's not on the Mini server.

They don't make netbooks because they are bottom of the barrel computers. Something you find at WalMart. No profit there.

By all means, enjoy your Dell and congratulations. If it makes you happy then it's served it's purpose.
  • Reply 50 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

LOL. Noob!

Centrino is the brand name for the Mobo+CPU+GPU+WiFi combo provided by Intel. The CPUs initially started out as Pentiums (4s I think), but Centrino actually includes whatever the current generation of CPUs happen to be.

I think he was trying to say Celeron, not Centrino. (I started on a TRS-80, and built my first PC using an 8088
  • Reply 51 of 100
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course, the Software Updater is grabbing the package for your particular machine so it’s significantly smaller. It won’t work for any other machine.

1) Cutting off netbooks does not cut off the Hackintosh community, which can use non-Atom Intel and AMD processors

2) Cutting off Atom support at 10.6.2 to supress the Hackintosh community makes no sense because there aren’t wanting by staying with 10.6.1.

3) If they were going cut off the Hackintosh community they would have done it at a major update and in a way that it makes it harder for all non-Mac HW to run Mac OS X.

Everything else is irrational.

No sorry genius, not everything else is irrational. This might be the most useless post in this entire thread. Its certainly the only one to suggest that this wasn't intentional on Apple's part. LOL, wow w.a.f.i. For most people, this is it. As soon as the OS can't by updated anymore, the game is over.

Guess what? The game is over. The non-factor, non-market, non-interesting Netbooks can now be even LESS interesting than they were yesterday, if that's even possible.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yes, I know the Mini and Macbook can hook-up to HDTV. I've heard it plenty of times. There are many converter cables but I like the simplicity of one cable. That is especially important on such a small device where every bit of real estate is precious. On at least the Dell Mini Netbook there's no optical drive but there's an SD card (sound familiar?).

I'm talking about Apple missing the netbook boat. Windows 7, even the starter edition on netbooks, is a good OS. Is it as good as OSX? I my opinion not quite but pretty close. Hopefully Apple will distance themselves from Windows 7 in the next OSX release.

So for a $349 base price I can do what the Mini can and have a keyboard, glidepad (mouse essentially), and a monitor for $250 less. I could almost buy two of them. And the Mini is visually more appealing.

The cons of the Mini are that it feels cheap on the glidepad, there's no optical drive (that's extra), and Dell clutters up the display with their own Mac OSX dock rip off. Other than that it is a rocking system. Apple only needs to introduce their own at $599 with similar specs and they'd sell like hotcakes. Why they don't make netbooks, mini towers, blades etc is anyone's guess. They feel they don't need to but maybe they would be in the top 5 computer manufacturers in the world if they did.

I'm still a Mac OSX fan and will always be but I'm also a Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, RIM, and HP fan when they make good products too.

Good god, this again? There is no netbook "boat". Never was, never will be. Its more of a rounding error than anything else. If people want a Mac, they can buy a Mac. I'm tired of people passing off P.O.S. netbooks as if they are a legitimate alternative to get started with OSX. They're not legitimate, nor a GOOD OSX experience. I would never recommend one to anyone, and no one seriously considering buying a Mac would ever opt for such a piece of crap.

Oh, right, except the current Mac user that has 4 pieces of hardware he's bored with, so he wastes some money on a Dell just so he can hack it and feel better for a few hours. Great.
  • Reply 53 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No sorry genius, not everything else is irrational. For most people, this is it. As soon as the OS can by updated anymore, the game is over.

Guess what? The game is over. The non-factor, non-market, non-interesting Netbooks can now be even LESS interesting than they were yesterday, if that's even possible.

If they compete with an Apple product, be that unreleased, or the tablet, or whatever, then I could understand Apple's move. Even if Apple doesn't release a netbook, I could see the hackintosh creating uneeded competition if they are installing it on netbooks. Hardware which could potentially compete with a tablet.

Everyone is totally guessing at this point. Makes no difference to me. I have no hackintoshes, and I don't see any value in a netbook.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

If they compete with an Apple product, be that unreleased, or the tablet, or whatever, then I could understand Apple's move. Even if Apple doesn't release a netbook, I could see the hackintosh creating uneeded competition if they are installing it on netbooks. Hardware which could potentially compete with a tablet.

Everyone is totally guessing at this point. Makes no difference to me. I have no hackintoshes, and I don't see any value in a netbook.

Here's the thing. Hackintosh netbooks, regardless of what the dorks tell you, are for DORKS-only.

They are NOT, NOT, NOT a consumer-oriented, entry-level MacBook. This bogus theory that many people try to tout, that, "Someone considering their first Mac, but unsure about diving in with both feet, (a.k.a: ponying up a thousand bucks) might buy a $350-450 dollar netbook, and "buy" a $130 retail copy of Mac OSX, and create themselves a $580 entry level Mac.".....is absolutely ridiculous.

Someone who cannot yet bring themselves to spend $1000 on a Mac, is certainly not going to spend half that, over $500, on a product that is critically handicapped, and completely unsupported. Yeah, try telling your mom that you're getting her a $500 Mac, but there won't be any customer service available, not anywhere. Not from Dell, not from Apple, and not from you unless you're around with your Leopard DVD.

What a joke. Its stunning how arrogant and uninformed Mac users are.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    If you want support from Apple, get a Mac. If you want sorry hardware and poor support stick with PCs.
  • Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Here's the thing. Hackintosh netbooks, regardless of what the dorks tell you, are for DORKS-only.

They are NOT, NOT, NOT a consumer-oriented, entry-level MacBook. This bogus theory that many people try to tout, that, "Someone considering their first Mac, but unsure about diving in with both feet, (a.k.a: ponying up a thousand bucks) might buy a $350-450 dollar netbook, and "buy" a $130 retail copy of Mac OSX, and create themselves a $580 entry level Mac.".....is absolutely ridiculous.

Someone who cannot yet bring themselves to spend $1000 on a Mac, is certainly not going to spend half that, over $500, on a product that is critically handicapped, and completely unsupported. Yeah, try telling your mom that you're getting her a $500 Mac, but there won't be any customer service available, not anywhere. Not from Dell, not from Apple, and not from you unless you're around with your Leopard DVD.

What a joke. Its stunning how arrogant and uninformed Mac users are.

I don't know what it is about AI, but too many of the folks on here are rude as hell. You could have said as much without being so inflammatory. I happen to agree with your sentiment, but not with your style of reply. Would you want to be spoken to in such a way?

I really wish there was a better moderation system with real teeth in place here.
  • Reply 57 of 100
    I was looking at a netbook the other day and I couldn't help but notice how much it look like a Fisher Price toy. I may get one for my grandson. No loss if he breaks it.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    Quote:

I don't know what it is about AI, but too many of the folks on here are rude as hell. You could have said as much without being so inflammatory. I happen to agree with your sentiment, but not with your style of reply. Would you want to be spoken to in such a way?

I really wish there was a better moderation system with real teeth in place here.

Oh please. Maturity sounds like something you should be more interested in. The moderation system here as already absolutely ridiculous.
  • Reply 59 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    No need for Hackintoshes anymore now that Windows 7 has arrived with such glowing reviews. Hackintoshes were only needed in the age of Vista . They are obsolete now.
  • Reply 60 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I know - it used to be a such a civil place on here when I first started 2 years ago and then it became so polarizing once Apple stopped selling matte screens , AT&T dropping calls, iPhones pushing MACS to the curb, Windows 7 became a hit, etc ,etc