Mac OS X 10.6.2 to update nearly 150 Snow Leopard components

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 168
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

The way to 64-bit was paved in 10.5. Try again.

Round of the applause for post of the week. So useful, I can't get over it!

\
  • Reply 162 of 168
    Unplug? Ye gods, no. If you're ever faced with this problem, hold the power button until the Mac shuts down. Then restart. If the Mac fails to boot, then you're onto step 2.
  • Reply 163 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Unplug it then turn it back on.

No, the problem isn't that I can't turn my computer off, it's that when I reboot, it just gets stuck on the loading screen.

When I boot in Safe Mode, all seems fine. But when booting in normal mode, it just gets to the stage with the Snow Leopard desktop background and the pinwheel of doom. Forever.

I've used Onyx to clean out my caches and repair my disk permissions, I've tried clearing the PRAM, I've tried booting from my install disk and running a disk repair, all to no avail.

Any ideas anybody? Thanks.
  • Reply 164 of 168
    Does this happen every time? If so, I'd say you're probably going to need a reinstall, since you've tried just about everything else. And no, not an Erase and Install. A standard one should be attempted first. Before that, I'd check your Login items in the Accounts preferences. What have you got listed there?
  • Reply 165 of 168
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WWJBD View Post

No, the problem isn't that I can't turn my computer off, it's that when I reboot, it just gets stuck on the loading screen.

When I boot in Safe Mode, all seems fine. But when booting in normal mode, it just gets to the stage with the Snow Leopard desktop background and the pinwheel of doom. Forever.

I've used Onyx to clean out my caches and repair my disk permissions, I've tried clearing the PRAM, I've tried booting from my install disk and running a disk repair, all to no avail.

Any ideas anybody? Thanks.

I read it like you booted once and let it sit there without killing the power.

My next suggestion would be to find a friend with Disk Warrior loaded on a USB drive with MacOS X on it (bootable) and give Disk Warrior a shot.
  • Reply 166 of 168
    Normally I'd recommend DiskWarrior but not this time (unless you've got it around already), since the Mac does boot in Safe Mode. The problem is probably a bad kernel extension, since this is what's dumped when you boot in Safe Mode. Several problems with similar symptoms have been reported with Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 167 of 168
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Normally I'd recommend DiskWarrior but not this time (unless you've got it around already), since the Mac does boot in Safe Mode. The problem is probably a bad kernel extension, since this is what's dumped when you boot in Safe Mode. Several problems with similar symptoms have been reported with Snow Leopard.

Load up OSX on a portable hdd, copy over your user folders, do a clean install on your machine, and then import the folders back in.

Like the doc said, if you have Disk Warrior, try it, if not, then I don't know what options you have left.
  • Reply 168 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

......In fact after a week I forced the system to run in 64 bit mode all the time......

how exactly did you do that? please tell me because I need do do that too.

thank you