Apple's next-gen iPhone power amp; NASA chemical sensor app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I wait for the first real decent comment

Terrorist attacks are not decent, my comments are.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Here you go. This sounds like a worthwhile app ... even for TechDud.

"Dogs can detect if someone has cancer just by sniffing the person's breath, a new study shows."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...og_cancer.html

Sounds great for a discimination tool. Next.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Define decent.

It detects chemicals in the air and how exactly is my post not decent? \

Your hands were naked?

Anyway, this would be cool for me to detect refrigerant leaks in piping. I could forego my leak sniffer. Also, at the firehouse, where we use CO detectors and such. Pretty sweet to lose yet another device, and only have to have my iPhone on me.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    Is there anyone with even half a brain or a quarter of an education at AI? Repeat after me: plurals of nouns in the English language are not formed with an apostrophe and the letter S. Never. Not ever.

Singular: amplifier.

Plural: amplifiers.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple need to rename the iPhone or just have 2 models; one for regular people and another for Science/Geeks.

What is going to do next? Light up a cigarette?

And then who knows what the CIA, NSA, KGB, MASSOB, and other intelligent agencies have cooked up with it. Plenty enough, I bet you.

What...the...hell? The CIA? I'm sure their tech is far more advanced than the iPhone.

If you're not a geek, why in the heck would you even want an iPhone? If you just want a cell phone, you could get one. It's a lot lighter on the monthly wallet extraction.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Is there anyone with even half a brain or a quarter of an education at AI? Repeat after me: plurals of nouns in the English language are not formed with an apostrophe and the letter S. Never. Not ever.

Singular: amplifier.

Plural: amplifiers.

Meh, go read the WSJ and leave us to our comment'''''''''s would ya. It's not like the forum posts look like the ones on YouTube for crying out loud. They are still perfectly legible. Does it really matter if one writes its or it's or not? No. After all, it's how the English language has evolved over the centuries, by people changing the words and the way they are used.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

What...the...hell? The CIA? I'm sure their tech is far more advanced than the iPhone.

If you're not a geek, why in the heck would you even want an iPhone? If you just want a cell phone, you could get one. It's a lot lighter on the monthly wallet extraction.

True dat but it gives you crede to argue on the iPhoneInsider.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

This may be hard for you to understand from what I read of your statement, but most people who have iPhones are anything BUT geeks.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Hmm - if you have a personal RFID chip - it could automatically unlock the device only when used within range of you - meaning that for someone to steal the device the only value it would have would be the hardware - stealing information or using up cell minutes etc would be far more difficult.

Or combined with RFID tags in the food spoilage scenario could detect a problem and send out a message that would alert other folks buying products from the same batch.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    I think mbmcavoy has it right about the power amplifier. A good "amp" as they are called shorthand can make a world of difference in how good your music will sound; whether it's being listened too with headphones or a larger speaker system. Hopefully Apple has chosen another good one. Anyone familier with Skyworks, and whether they make good amps?
  • Reply 31 of 65
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nytesky View Post

What is a power amplifier?

Yeah, a little more background (like *any* at all), would help.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This may be hard for you to understand from what I read of your statement, but most people who have iPhones are anything BUT geeks.

An elderly gentlemen I ride the train with everyday is blasting his Frank Sinatra from his iPhone. And by blasting, I mean I can hear it as clear as if I was wearing the headphones. I see more of these type of people than I do "geeks."

On a side note, I lol'd at the big Psystar ad at the bottom of my page.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, a little more background (like *any* at all), would help.

Are you asking what a power amplifier is? Or more info about this particular chip?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Define decent.

It detects chemicals in the air and how exactly is my post not decent? \

the *second* meaning of "decent" Mr. "My first language is so obviously not English."
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

An elderly gentlemen I ride the train with everyday is blasting his Frank Sinatra from his iPhone. And by blasting, I mean I can hear it as clear as if I was wearing the headphones. I see more of these type of people than I do "geeks."

On a side note, I lol'd at the big Psystar ad at the bottom of my page.

Yeah, my daughter and her other art major friends would be amused at being called geeks.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you asking what a power amplifier is? Or more info about this particular chip?

Well I know what an amplifier is, I just never knew there was one in a phone or really thought about it. The "article" is short enough as it is and somewhat cryptically talks about chips and suppliers of power amplifiers in "new hardware." A short sentence telling us what they are talking about in the context of the iPhone or phones in general would seem to be in order, but I've already spent the ten minutes to look it up at this point.

I find that generally speaking except for the prince McClean stuff, the articles here are sloppy and quickly written without any real care as to what they are trying to explain. Given that the majority of them are shorter than many of the posts that follow, I think spending more than a minute or two on writing the things might be advisable. It's not like it's hard work to write even an extra paragraph or two, let alone a single extra sentence.

Edit: actually it seems like adding the single word "the" before "power amplifier's" in the first sentence would clear up most of the confusion. So that's even less extra work than I thought.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well I know what an amplifier is, I just never knew there was one in a phone or really thought about it. The "article" is short enough as it is and somewhat cryptically talks about chips and suppliers of power amplifiers. A short sentence telling us what they are talking about in the context of the iPhone or phones in general would seem to be in order, but I've already spent the ten minutes to look it up at this point.

I find that generally speaking except for the prince McClean stuff, the articles here are sloppy and quickly written without any real care as to what they are trying to explain. Given that the majority of them are shorter than many of the posts that follow, I think spending more than a minute or two on writing the things might be advisable. It's not like it's hard work to write even an extra paragraph or two, let alone a single extra sentence.

Let's see if I can help.

In the contest of the phone, an amplifier needs to deliver a fairly small amount of power, as defined in watts. So maybe it may need a half watt output per channel.

That's enough to drive the tiny speakers, as well as headphones.

There are two kinds of amplifiers. One is a voltage amplifier, normally thought of as a pre-amp. That takes the very small voltages present and raises them high enough for further use. Pre-amps rarely can drive headphones directly, though a few can.

That voltage is then current amplified. In other words, the amount of amperage is raised. voltage times amps is watts.

While high impedance devices such as what's found internally in a device can be driven by voltage, low impedance devices such as speakers and headphones need current.

Impedance is simply resistance and capacitance. Not important to understand that completely. But, when it's low, current is needed, when it's high voltage works.

Normal speakers and headphones have wire wound devices that have low impedance. So need some wattage.

I hope that was fairly clear. If not I'll try to explain.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    maybe they are not talking about the iPod/sound functions but the wireless carrier signal and amplification of a signal to improve coverage and performance of the wireless data link
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Cool looking UI for this app. Didn't know NASA had it in 'em. It's exciting to imagine what apps are just around the corner with the world's best platform for developers...
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

maybe they are not talking about the iPod/sound functions but the wireless carrier signal and amplification of a signal to improve coverage and performance of the wireless data link

If so, then they should have said the radio transmitter amplifier, or a band amplifier module.

There are lots of those as well.