Toshiba announces 64GB NAND flash chip, likely iPhone bound

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Toshiba has announced its new 64GB embedded NAND flash memory module will offer the highest available capacity in the industry in the first quarter of 2010.

The iPhone 3GS, released in June, included up to 32 GB of Toshiba NAND flash memory. The memory maker announced Tuesday that it created a new 64GB chip that combines 16 32Gbit (equal to 4GB) NAND chips using 32nm process technology. The chips also integrate a dedicated controller.

The new chips are available for sample now, and mass production of them is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2010. Toshiba said the product will be used in smartphones, mobile phones, netbooks and digital video cameras.

Likely to be a customer is Apple, which has doubled the maximum capacity of the iPhone with a new release every summer. Given the current 32GB iPhone 3GS, next year's iPhone is likely to offer 64GB of capacity.

In addition, the new 64GB iPod touch, introduced in September, uses a pair of 32GB NAND chips to achieve its maximum capacity. Toshiba's new chips would allow Apple to release a 128GB iPod touch sometime in 2010.

Toshiba said its new 64GB chip offers up to 1,070 hours of music at 128Kbps,8.3 hours of full-spec high definition video, and 19.2 hours of standard definition video. The individual 32Gbit chips are said to be 30 micrometers thick, giving them the highest density of NAND flash in the industry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    I guess a few people need more then 32GB in their iPhone..

I'm not one of those people. But if the competition has it, then the iPhone needs it to.

It's probably gonna be crazy expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    More memory is great if the next-gen iPhone is positioned as a video (say 720p) playback device.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlcmh View Post

More memory is great if the next-gen iPhone is positioned as a video (say 720p) playback device.

Thinking maybe touch. I tried to use my phone as a playback device, bought the cables and all. It worked great until I got a call.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I'm not one of those people. But if the competition has it, then the iPhone needs it to.

Why would it be crazy expensive? Didn't the 32GB iPhone 3GS debut at the same price point as the previous 16GB iPhone 3G?

Same goes for the 64GB iPod touch 3G vs the 32GB iPod touch 2G.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    128GB iPod Touch, please. My music collection now exceeds my 80GB iPod 5.5G (originally a 60GB) and I really prefer the Touch interface.

If they up the storage of the Touch that close to the iPod Classic, Apple just might kill the iPod Classic line.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Bringing the (flash) storage capacities up to par with old iPod capacities is critical for truly allowing a person to stick with ONE device.

In 2007, many people had iPods that ranged from 30 - 80 gigs. Then the iPhone drops with 4 and 8. True this was on par with the Nano, the "most popular mp3 player" at the time, but still left most music and video hounds with a frustrating scenario.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    I'd expect these to show up in the Apple Tablet first.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Oh this just dawned on me:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Toshiba has announced its new 64GB embedded NAND flash memory module will offer the highest available capacity in the industry in the first quarter of 2010.

Tablet says "hi."

Edit: D'oh, beaten.

Also, migrating people from iPod Classics to Touches means more potential customer for the App Store.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

It should be the same price as the current 32 GB offering. And more importantly, we can expect the current 32 GB iPhone and 64 GB touch can drop in price to today's 16/32 GB prices. I could maybe squeeze my content onto a 64 GB touch, but not at $399. Drop that to $299 and it becomes a better option.

And I don't think it would be that hard to start feeling cramped in 32 GB of storage considering some of the apps you can get... download a navigation app and all if it's maps and a couple of the other professional reference apps (such as medical and pharmacy references that are available for people in those professions), then loading even a normal-sized library of iTunes content and you could start running short of space.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but I wouldn't even consider a touch that had less than 64 GB of storage.

And don't forget, that Apple tablet is probably going to need higher capacities.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Tablet says "hi."

Also, migrating people from iPod Classics to Touches means more potential customer for the App Store.

the 32GB modules shipped in 1Q 2009 as well. i bet the 128GB modules will ship in 1Q 2011.

everyone has a schedule including upgrading the machines that make these modules and the new stuff always ships in 1Q after everyone buys up the old crap during the holidays. been like this for thousands of years
  • Reply 11 of 75
    I'm pretty sure the Touch uses two modules*, hence the current availability of the 64GB version for $400.

Two modules of 64GB in Q1 '10 -> 128GB Touch.

*Correction: "up to two modules"
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Tablet says "hi."

Let's pray to God that the iPod Classic is never replaced by high-capacity Touches. The Touch sucks as a music playback device. I'd go for high-capacity Nanos instead though.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:

Why would it be crazy expensive? Didn't the 32GB iPhone 3GS debut at the same price point as the previous 16GB iPhone 3G?

Same goes for the 64GB iPod touch 3G vs the 32GB iPod touch 2G.

Your missing the point. I guess I was unclear.

I think the current iPhone 32GB is crazy expensive

That being said, I will still buy they new one when it arrives.

Quote:

Granted, it's not for everyone, but I wouldn't even consider a touch that had less than 64 GB of storage.

Most people I know have the iPhone, buys a Touch for their kids to play games on, so they can have their iPhones for themselves.

The Touch is so much more than music.

My 00.2
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The Touch sucks as a music playback device.

Please elaborate, I always feel hampered by the scrollwheel trying to find a specific song, for example.

Quote:

I'd go for high-capacity Nanos instead though.

True, if you prefer that interface. I don't see the Nano going anywhere and it might get more popular if the Classic is shelved.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    DOWN WITH AT&T!!!!

Iphone USERS, HELP BRING AT&T'S NETWORK TO ITS KNEES THIS FRIDAY AT 12:00pm PST... IF YOU HAVE AN iPhone RUN THE MOST DATA INTENSIVE APP YOU HAVE OVER THE 3G NETWORK FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN... REMEMBER, ITS THIS FRIDAY AT 12:00pm PST, 3:00pm EASTERN

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

( I am not a troll, I am just trying to spread the word)
  • Reply 16 of 75
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I agree. I'm too busy to manage my music playlists ... my collection is 70 GB and I woudl prefer to just dump all the music on there and just worry about managing videos and podcasts.

And 720p video is a necessity. The need to have to download 2 versions of Lost (SD and HD) so that i can play it on my iphone and my HDTV is ridiculous. The Zune can playback 720p content wihtout a hitch, so the iphone / ipod touch should also.

Sorry I had to mention Zune ... no I would never consider one, but it has features (namely 720p playback, OLED screens and embedded FM Radio) that the ipod touch and iphone definitely need to catch up with. An included USB-HDMI cable would be nice as well.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    So next year we'll have a 128GB iPod touch and in 2011 we would probably have a 256GB iPod touch. Wow! No more reason for the iPod Classic.

Apple just needs to figure out how to bring iPhone OS to the iPod nano. I see the nano gaining a touch screen and abandoning the click wheel.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Looks like the 2010 iPhone will then offer 64GB AND the new dual core ARM processors. Sounds like a monster of a device. Just bought a 3GS this past summer so I guess I'll be waiting until 2011 to upgrade. By that time the hi-end iPhone will probably be sporting 128GB, so I'll be able to grab a 64GB for the price I paid for my current 16GB 3GS.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Quote:

svnipp \tLooks like the 2010 iPhone will then offer 64GB AND the new dual core ARM processors. Sounds like a monster of a device. Just bought a 3GS this past summer so I guess I'll be waiting until 2011 to upgrade. By that time the hi-end iPhone will probably be sporting 128GB, so I'll be able to grab a 64GB for the price I paid for my current 16GB 3GS.

They will have to call it the iPhone 3GWS. WS for Warp-Speed.

Let's just hope they keep the OS slim and fast, like it is now.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Alright. 64 gig Verizon iPhone! Bring it on.