Judge dismisses suit against Apple over iMac G5 display issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    It's 3 years after the purchase for any iMac G5, so a 2006 iMac purchased 12/31/06 having issues due to bad capacitors would still be covered until the end of this year. I've seen REP being done beyond the 3 years allowed if it's only a matter of days or weeks and youre not cursing at them

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Not anymore. Apple did extend the iMac G5 warranties about a year, but are now no longer honoring them. We continue to have iMac G5 failures (bad capacitors, power supplies; the same things that caused our >50% failure rate under AppleCare) but Apple won't even talk to us about them now. Not that I'm complaining; the units are indeed old. But don't tell people they can still get them serviced for free, 'cos they can't.

[edit] Some correction to my post above, I did some research and it looks like the repair extension program ended Dec 15 2008. The last version of the iMac with a G5 chip was discontinued March 2006 though I suppose some purchased a refurb from apple store after that date and can try to have it repaired.

Here's an example, way beyond the 3 years allowed, posted at macosxhints:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbenezra posted Tue, Mar 17 2009 at 7:30AM PDT

Not so much a hint, but a suggestion which hopefully will help someone else. My iMac G5 (1.8 GHz, 2005 model) started having frequent kernel panics which I quickly realized was hardware related, as it persisted when booted from an external drive. When I opened the machine, I saw the dreaded bulging capacitors.

This was a known issue with a defect in the manufacturing of these capacitors, and Apple had a program to replace the motherboards when the capacitors failed. As I learned when I called the Apple rep, the program just ended in January and there was "nothing to be done." As I explained to the rep, I was being penalized for my machine lasting a bit longer than others, which made no sense. In fact, since there was no recall issued, I couldn't get my machine repaired before it failed, so Apple really had no choice in my opinion but to replace the defective motherboards. The rep agreed, and set up an appointment for my free replacement.

Hope this helps someone else who machine fails in the near future.

• Reply 22 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Except that it's not. The world is nowhere near as black and white as you want to believe it is.

Consider the case of the bad capacitors that Apple (and Dell and IBM) bought from Korea in 2004. Those capacitors have caused nearly 50% of iMac G5's to fail. Apple reached a settlement with the maker of those capacitors. Why should owners of G5's whose capacitors fail out of warranty not be compensated with a repaired G5 given that Apple did receive settlement from the company responsible for that G5 failing?!?

See? No black & white. Stop trying to see the world that way.

As a general rule Bjojade is correct. The warranty is there specifically to give you a security on your purchase. What is going on with the bad capacitors, the previous laptop battery and other issues are a unique situation above and beyond the warranty.

I have to figure that Apple has weighed the cost of repairing these out of date machines compared with the potential cost from lawsuits and loss of future sales and mindshare before decided whether to repair out of data machine or not. I also assume that Apple is also holding the Korean company who supplied the capacitors at fault so most if not all of the repair costs are being billed to them
  • Reply 23 of 46
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Common sense ... yeah! If only this judge would relocate to West Texas ... but then he is smart so I guess he wouldn't want to!

East Texas, you mean.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    nice.

this is bottom line for me and Apple. I can not recommend in future to anyone else to buy Apple computers. (and I did convert at least 50 person to Mac side in last year or two)

but things that Apple do are *shameless* !

take a look at: http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/top...d_crash_freeze

Apple make product with design flaw and then it wont admit that they made mistake!

* This is outrages! *

iMac are pure crap; since 2005 all models have some issues with displays... (personally I 4 (four) iMac with defective display !!! )

So you can easily end up with useless computer after your guarantee period is expire!
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Pity this guy didn't go about it correctly. He should've tried going for a free fix by apple rather than money. I can attest that this problem is a serious problem a particular batch of imacs both g5 and intel have had. I have 2 2ghz imacs in the same studio and one is completely unusable whilst the other has one or 2 lines for now.

I believe that apple had for a limited period of time allowed people to return defective imacs for repair even outside warranty. However this did't cover those for whom the same problem occurred later nor did I find anything for non usa residents. Our solution for the unusable imac was to get an ext monitor.

However, this problem is a well documented manufacturing or design defect and not something that falls under wear and tear. It is also one of the reasons i hate all in ones. I'll take pics of the screens tomorrow.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Kovacm -

Hey, then don't go recommending a Dell either. The Optiplex GX270's were victims of those bad capacitors too, and they had an extended service period for issues with that model, same as Apple. However, also same as Apple, now that the extended period is long over, they're free to decline to service the machines, also same as Apple. This is how things work. Just because your machine lasted longer on the bad caps than expected, don't expect to be taken care of. Everything has an anticipated life span, and once that's past, good luck to you.
  • Reply 27 of 46

The article is referring to an iMac G5, which was released in Oct 2005 (he purchased one in Oct 2006...which I am surprised he found one new, but I am guessing he bought it refurbished or used). This has nothing to do with the first generation Intel iMacs, released in 2006. I guess you aren't smart enough to know the difference. Second, Apple doesn't make the graphics cards in any of the Macs.

The judge proved the guy's case is full of shit because he couldn't even prove the problems were widespread. The iMac was two years old. He chose not to buy an extended warranty (if he bought it new). He has no right to sue a company when something goes wrong out of warranty. My family has three iMac G5's (ranging from the first gen iMac G5 to the last gen iMac G5) and none of them have any problems.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Well, that is the problem. The guy tried to certify the class to include all purchasers of iMacs. For a lawsuit to get certified as a class action, the class have to be similar enough to have suffered the same. However, probably only a very small amount of iMac users were effected. The guy can still sue Apple for actual damages, it just will not be for the big bucks which mostly goes to the attorneys.

Quote:

The complainant didn't bother responding to two court requests to amend his complaint. Dumb. On the other side, I can't figure out how one is unable to determine how many iMac G5 users were affected by this; certainly the complainant could request Apple repair records under discovery and also set up a website where affected users could register if they've had such a repair. It's relatively standard procedure; no new ground need be broken. It sounds like Hovsepian just bailed out.

• Reply 29 of 46
    I work as an Apple tech. I have seen ONE G5/Core Duo iMac with this issue. ONE out of a ton of these things. That's it. I've seen far more dead logic boards (17" iSight iMac G5s had a tendency to blow the video card long before the screen), blown power supplies, failed hard drives, and failed optical drives than I have the screens. Should Apple have to cover all of those too? For how long?

This suit is pure crap, if only because failure rates on other components far exceed the failure rate of the LCD panels from every indicator that I've seen. Like I said above, I've seen more 17" iMac G5 (iSight) have video card failures than LCD panels. Apple should've put a REP on that long before the LCD panels. What about the Seagate 7.01 firmware drives in early Macbooks and Pros? Should've been a REP there.

And those saying that the 2006 iMacs are junk can go screw. I owned one and it was by far and wide the most solid computer I've had. I've seen far less of them than aluminum iMacs (2007 models have a surprising number of bad optical drive cables. I'm not kidding) or iMac G5s. No joke. Most of them have failed hard drives when they do come in, which, across all of Apple's lineup, is probably the most common failure. Moving parts and all.

Note that I'm not counting the non-iSight G5 iMacs. Apple had the REP out on those and the problems with bad capacitors and blown PSUs are well known.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

You guess wrong; they were infamously problem-ridden. And if you didn't know Apple made an iMac G5, then why are you posting at all?

Knew of the G5 workstation, never an imac G5.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kovacm View Post

nice.

this is bottom line for me and Apple. I can not recommend in future to anyone else to buy Apple computers. (and I did convert at least 50 person to Mac side in last year or two)

but things that Apple do are *shameless* !

take a look at: http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/top...d_crash_freeze

Apple make product with design flaw and then it wont admit that they made mistake!

* This is outrages! *

iMac are pure crap; since 2005 all models have some issues with displays... (personally I 4 (four) iMac with defective display !!! )

So you can easily end up with useless computer after your guarantee period is expire!

That's why you don't buy all in one computers, PERIOD.

Of course, that's also why I hate laptops.

Hey, wonder if this was the solder bump issue, because desktop cards had the problem too.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

That's why you don't buy all in one computers, PERIOD.

Of course, that's also why I hate laptops.

Hey, wonder if this was the solder bump issue, because desktop cards had the problem too.

If all-in-ones weren't appealing to a decent number of people, they wouldn't exist.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Common sense ... yeah! If only this judge would relocate to West Texas ... but then he is smart so I guess he wouldn't want to!

FYI - Just to let you know, Marshall is in East Texas. But I get, and agree with your sentiment.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by casey4147 View Post

Kovacm -

Hey, then don't go recommending a Dell either. The Optiplex GX270's were victims of those bad capacitors too, and they had an extended service period for issues with that model, same as Apple. However, also same as Apple, now that the extended period is long over, they're free to decline to service the machines, also same as Apple. This is how things work. Just because your machine lasted longer on the bad caps than expected, don't expect to be taken care of. Everything has an anticipated life span, and once that's past, good luck to you.

here is more: http://timecapsuledead.org/

about Dell: at least Dell is cheaper than Macs

it is really pity that company which earns BILLIONS $ won't afford to spend some money to fix THEIR mistake.

- instead, they decide to put all charges on *loyal* customers tap.

this is simple sad. Apple is so arrogant. Hope this will come back and hit them like a boomerang!

it is so sad that all other company fail to compete (inc. Commodore and Atari). Microsoft (Wintel) simple crush them all I still have Atari ST from 1986. and Amiga 500 from 1989. in full working condition (I also have Mac Classic from 1985 fully operational...)!

it's a sad day for all loyal Apple customers today.

@Thefinaleofseem "I've seen more 17" iMac G5 (iSight) have video card failures than LCD panels" like those: http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/top...d_crash_freeze ?

@sprockkets - you have point, but as jazzguru said: they are pretty "appealing"

Apple should, at least, invest more in "testing"; or invest more money in some kind of "repairing program" if they made bad computers...
  • Reply 35 of 46
    [QUOTE=kovacm;1538292]nice.

I don't believe you!
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kovacm View Post

here is more: http://timecapsuledead.org/

about Dell: at least Dell is cheaper than Macs

it is really pity that company which earns BILLIONS $ won't afford to spend some money to fix THEIR mistake.

- instead, they decide to put all charges on *loyal* customers tap.

this is simple sad. Apple is so arrogant. Hope this will come back and hit them like a boomerang!

it is so sad that all other company fail to compete (inc. Commodore and Atari). Microsoft (Wintel) simple crush them all I still have Atari ST from 1986. and Amiga 500 from 1989. in full working condition (I also have Mac Classic from 1985 fully operational...)!

it's a sad day for all loyal Apple customers today.

@Thefinaleofseem "I've seen more 17" iMac G5 (iSight) have video card failures than LCD panels" like those: http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/top...d_crash_freeze ?

@sprockkets - you have point, but as jazzguru said: they are pretty "appealing"

Apple should, at least, invest more in "testing"; or invest more money in some kind of "repairing program" if they made bad computers...

Looks like you had some that lasted. How many more Ataris, Commodores, etc have died? A whole bunch.

The iMacs cited are a wide range covering G5s through Core 2 models. I'm talking about a specific issue to the late model iMac G5 line. I've seen failed video cards in Intels as well, but more intermittently and with a wider variety of symptoms. The iMac G5 had a specific video failure that resulted in artifact patterns across the screen. I saw that one a bunch.

And if you dig around with ANY computer company these days, then I think you'll find that they all have had hardware failures in the past. Apple's hardware failure rate is actually middle-of-the-road when measured against other manufacturers. Stop trying to hold them to this lofty standard of never breaking. It's a load of horsecrap. Macs can break down just like any other computer on the market. Deal with it.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

Looks like you had some that lasted. How many more Ataris, Commodores, etc have died? A whole bunch.

The iMacs cited are a wide range covering G5s through Core 2 models. I'm talking about a specific issue to the late model iMac G5 line. I've seen failed video cards in Intels as well, but more intermittently and with a wider variety of symptoms. The iMac G5 had a specific video failure that resulted in artifact patterns across the screen. I saw that one a bunch.

And if you dig around with ANY computer company these days, then I think you'll find that they all have had hardware failures in the past. Apple's hardware failure rate is actually middle-of-the-road when measured against other manufacturers. Stop trying to hold them to this lofty standard of never breaking. It's a load of horsecrap. Macs can break down just like any other computer on the market. Deal with it.

I wish there was an applause icon. Well said!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0SX View Post

the 2006 imacs are pure junk. apple should be ashamed.

????

I'm posting this on an early 2006 iMac Core Duo, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Maybe I "got a good one", who knows. My only regret is for not buying two at the time.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

Macs can break down just like any other computer on the market. Deal with it.

The big drawback with Apple hardware (besides maybe the MacPro) is when it does break you need a neurosurgeon to fix it.

As for the lawsuit, I'm glad it got tossed. When problems develop well off-warranty, why should anyone get a sweetheart settlement?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

The big drawback with Apple hardware (besides maybe the MacPro) is when it does break you need a neurosurgeon to fix it.

As for the lawsuit, I'm glad it got tossed. When problems develop well off-warranty, why should anyone get a sweetheart settlement?

What some are hoping for and perhaps rightly so is, was this issue very widespread, as in, say, a Dell XPS1330 laptop's nVidia graphics dying? Because for those laptops it was just a matter of time.

If that is the case, they should sue. But they haven't shown enough proof yet. Making a web site to document all the issues isn't scientific enough. A lot of time capsules died after 18 months. Without a specific % of how many died, there is no way to tell if it was a widespread failure.

The plural of anecdote isn't data.