Apple TV 3.0 update not helping sales as AirPort routers lose share

Comments

• Reply 81 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Apple TV is a bit long on needing a vibrant upgrade. in my belief it needs

1- Larger hard drive 500gb+ option, also ability to add extra storage externally via USB, Firewire or ESata.

2- upgrade 1080p programming to hdtv

3- Open up the Apple TV - allow third party programs and developers, allow Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, Vudu and others to stream/download content to the device.

4- Apple TV app store- have it be able to be used for alot more. let developers create games, apps and so much more for

5- Videoconferencing - add ability for people to add a cam, hell apple could make a cam. so people can do video calls not just on their computer. but allow it to be used not only with ichat/aol chats, ie Skype app to use it. and who knows. other corporate ways. let Cisco create a app to use on it.

6- Blu-Ray - it is long overdue for apple to support Blu-Ray properly. to be a proper computer company it can't block technology which "competes" with itunes. Mac OS X must be open, as should all of Apple's products. sad to see things end up being more closed and well restricted to what Apple approves only.

7- Bluetooth - have the ability to add alot of extra add on's via this great tech. from headsets, to keyboards and gaming controllers

8- USB port fully functional - if you can add a camera, and external mic and more... why stop there... allow companies to add all sorts of extra devices and be able to build out a properly functional media center / computer apple tv.

9- full internet capability - yes, all my thoughts about making Apple tv capable require full internet capabilities and the ability for it to do oh so much more.

I would be alot happier if i could use my apple tv as a place for all the blu-Ray digital copies i have or maybe even a place to store movies i buy from apple itunes movie store. but do NOT want to keep on my laptop because it would take up too much room in my laptop. or even desktop.

Anyway, it would be awesome to really make more of this device as a proper home media center and computing entertainment center.

This sounds like a very pricey device... Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 82 of 211
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

You are out of date on HandBrake. I can see now loss of picture quality since the newest version of HandBrake.

As for disk space. Duh. But that disk space is going to be taken no matter which way you get the movie onto your hard drive (or the AppleTV hard drive). Movies take space. We accept that.

I am using 0.9.4 which Handbrake says is the latest when I check for updates and the picture does not look as good as my upscaled DVD player. The AppleTV is connected via HDMI.

I do not have to accept movies taking space on my HD, which is why I don't buy downloaded movies. DVD and Blu-ray does not take up space on my HD. Movie, storage, picture quality all in one package.
  • Reply 83 of 211
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I love how everyone focuses on the word "hobby"... when was the last time you spent millions on a hobby?

Steve Jobs calls it a hobby so everyone else calls it a hobby. Funny how everyone focuses on what Steve Jobs say, isn't it?
  • Reply 84 of 211
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Steve Jobs calls it a hobby so everyone else calls it a hobby. Funny how everyone focuses on what Steve Jobs say, isn't it?

When you are the CEO of Apple and the largest shareholder in Disney, I would expect your hobbies to be quite large scale.
  • Reply 85 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lsngctrl View Post

Why not allow it to stream directly from your Apple home server? I have over 500gb of iTunes purchased movies and tv shows on our Apple home server. I hate having to select the movies and tv shows I want on each Apple TV in the house. Worst part is I have to go to the Server to make these selections.

Seems like a basic feature that is missing.

You can stream (not sync) from iTunes running on a MAC OS X computer with wireless connectivity or ethernet connection. I just started iTunes on my iMac which has streaming enabled. Under MyMovies - I can see all of the handbraked movies located on the iMac. Streaming can work quite well.

To add a computer for streaming go to Settings -> Computers -> Add Shared iTunes Library
  • Reply 86 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

Too many cable boxes come with (low end) DVRs that are "good enough" for people.

I agree. My cable company-supplied DVR is good enough. Also, I don't want to have to deal with the kludge of having my DVR send an IR signal to my cable box. And if I wanted to match my current DVR's dual tuners, I'd need two cable boxes.

I think we need to wait until whatever the followup to the Cable Card is before third-party DVRs make any sense.

Quote:

Optical audio - My sound system for my TV (3rd party separate sound system) only has one port for optical audio...and we are back to stupidly having to manually switch things around. I'm SOOOOO tired of this.

Only one optical audio? My Onkyo receiver (not high-end; part of a HTIB system) has three optical and one coaxial digital audio inputs, and so far that's enough, but I'm using three of these four inputs already (DVR, DVD Player, Mac Mini).

My Harmony Remote takes any pain out of the switching, so with a one-button push, I am all set up for any of my sources. I'm quite happy with my Mac Mini as media center, though I must say that Hulu quality is no match for the HD channels from the cable company.
  • Reply 87 of 211
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    too many good points in the comments to reply specifically.

today's ATV is kinda obsolete because (1) it is running on a version of Tiger 10.4 OS and (2) its processor/video chip cannot handle full 1080p HDTV.

conceptually ATV began as a media bridge box between your Mac and your SDTV. since then Apple has expanded that into a cross platform iTunes content delivery box for your low-end HDTV. it is quite cheap and does a nice easy to use job of that (including iPhone/touch remote control), but that is all.

Apple has refused to expand its functions beyond these limited purposes, even though third parties like ATVFlash have shown it could do much more - a browser, streamer, etc.

Clearly ATV needs a more compelling purpose to move out of the "hobby" category and become a really popular consumer product.

of the many possibilities mentioned in the comments, IMHO the outstanding one is for ATV to become also a bridge box between your iPhone/touch/Tablet and your high-end HDTV. so you could mirror your apps and games wirelessly on your big screen TV and sound system. among many things, that would cement the touch's status as the leading next gen portable game platform (sorry, Sony and Nintendo). overall it would leverage booming iPhone/touch/Tablet sales into a lot of new ATV sales as well.

but this will require a new generation of more powerful hardware (and some more RAM too), running a version of Leopard 10.5 OS, which would leave current ATV owners behind.

whatever it is, i have to think Apple will do something major to AppleTV in 2010. but maybe not until next Fall.
  • Reply 88 of 211
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Actually, you won't be done with it, you will just be starting. Handbrake is very time consuming, takes up lots of space after a while and the picture quality is not that good. The picture on my upscaled DVD player is much better. AppleTV does pictures well so that is what I mostly use mine for.

Handbrake picture quality is whatever you encode it to be. It can be good or it can be crap or anywhere in between -- depends entirely on your particular setting. But, no, the best combination of resolution and filesize for the Touch or iPhone isn't going to look very good on your 52" HDTV...
  • Reply 89 of 211
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Handbrake picture quality is whatever you encode it to be. It can be good or it can be crap or anywhere in between -- depends entirely on your particular setting. But, no, the best combination of resolution and filesize for the Touch or iPhone isn't going to look very good on your 52" HDTV...

I agree. I can see zero difference between connecting my Mac Mini with HDMI and playing a DVD or HandBreaking it and playing it. No difference on my 46" Sony HDTV.
  • Reply 90 of 211
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple just doesn't get it with this product. The reason is that they are used to telling consumers what they want but in the case of this product, that is not going to work.

Consumers are telling Apple they want a DVR and TV tuner and web access. Apple has not listened, therefore the product will be nothing but a niche.

As long as I get to view programs on Hulu.com, I'm not going to pay .99 per episode.

Bingo!
  • Reply 91 of 211
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    The AppleTV sucks, and its precisely why i my PowerPC Mac Mini is hooked up to my Bravia.

Personally i use my Mini (stream bootlegs, hulu, higher res youtube) in conjunction with my PS3 (blu-ray and DVD) and 360 (Zune streaming 1080p) for media purposes.

For me to ditch my Mini and PS3 AND 360 in the living room, it would need to surf the web since the PS3 browser is garbage, Netflix would be nice but i want 1080p streaming like my 360 has, if Microsoft can do it, Apple sure as hell can.

It needs to play every file format out the box. It needs to play Blu-Ray and DVD to kill any reason to use my PS3 and give me DVR capabilities as well as be a TV tuner. DolbyHD would be nice since we have a setup in the apartment, but atleast give it DTS support

While im sure it would be hard to do all those, and im not gonna magically drop my setup now for an AppleTV if they did, this would be a serious media powerhouse for the living room. I know if i didnt have any game console id plunk 399 down for one if it could do what i listed.
  • Reply 92 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I believe HDMI requires a license and adherence to certain requirements for HDCP as the machines hooked up with HDMI talk to and validate each other and their compliance.

The closed system is clearly designed to keep HDMI content OFF computers so the content can't easily be copied.

ATV has HDMI audio out, so does the 4890 card on my desktop computer - I think other small form factor machine do too. Besides, the HDCP issues primarily affect 1080p Blu Ray content (scaling it down to half the resolution if it detects a non-compliant device) and is nothing to do with audio.

I don't think Apple want their machines to be used as media centers. The way they messed up Front Row is Leopard (and failed to rectify in Snow Leopard) tell me this much, let alone the lack of public codecs for hardware accelerated 1080p playback. It's more to do with Apple protecting iTunes than hardware.
  • Reply 93 of 211
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Having never owned an Airport router of any kind, I have to ask those with experience: Are there really any functional advantages to Apple's routers (like ease of setup) that justify the much higher prices?

I have Linksys, Netgear and and Apple AE in use. All are very nice and work fine. I bought the Apple simply for 802.11n which no one else had back when I bought it. It also slaves my Canon printer over USB for the entire network of both Macs and PCs (using Bonjour). It steams HD 720p (yes genuine 720p at 24 fps) from a Mac Pro to an Apple TV very nicely. The newer ones have dual band having .11g and .11n which is nice so those .11g iPhones don't slow the network down. I have to use another router for iPhones to avoid this as mine is pre the dual function. The Apple have one really nice trick, it auto sets up a bridged network so everything in my network is seen as being on the same sub net - both those using the AAE and those directly linked to the Verizon FiOS router. The FiOs box sees all internal IPs as being in the same network. That is a pain to do with any other make I have used. It is automatic with Apple.
  • Reply 94 of 211
    Bring out a low cost streaming only version of the AppleTV. No internal HDD. Add support for other formats (divx, avi, mkv and video_ts folders), a web browser and the ability to optionally use a bluetooth keyboard. Facebook on your TV could be a killer feature.
  • Reply 95 of 211
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Having never owned an Airport router of any kind, I have to ask those with experience: Are there really any functional advantages to Apple's routers (like ease of setup) that justify the much higher prices?

I have owned dlink, netgear, belkin and linksys wifi routers. Not a single one of them was easy to use, fast or reliable. In frustration I eventually bought an airport express.

It was easy to setup and was very reliable.

When I got an Apple TV it wasnt able to stream very well over the G network, so I got an airport extreme. It is also easy to setup and reliable.

What do I like the most about the airports? Apple does not roll out new models continuously and continues to support old models with firmware updates. The airports are not perfect ( I gave up using the NAS functionality on the ae, just too slow ) but it was easy to setup my three router dual band network and they never need to be reset.
  • Reply 96 of 211
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

You can stream (not sync) from iTunes running on a MAC OS X computer with wireless connectivity or ethernet connection. I just started iTunes on my iMac which has streaming enabled. Under MyMovies - I can see all of the handbraked movies located on the iMac. Streaming can work quite well.

To add a computer for streaming go to Settings -> Computers -> Add Shared iTunes Library

I agree this is the best method for the ATV. The concept of downloading the movies to the ATV seems to be far less flexible and obviously space limited, so much so I am not even sure why the feature is offered. The instructions to do streaming as opposed to downloading seem confusing to many. I have had to help several people set this up since they had set up their ATVs only to have media downloaded and simply could not figure out how to stream. Personally, I simply stream everything, music included. BTW, you still have to 'sync' to update after adding new movies to the streamed folder set up as the iTunes Movie folder or restart iTunes or they don't show up on the ATV's menu.

As Orlando says above, the cost could be dropped without the internal HD which is not required IMHO. I guess Apple need it for movies purchased from iTunes directly or for buffering.
  • Reply 97 of 211
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Apple has not pointed out, and most people have not realized that iTunes 9 Home Sharing feature eliminates the need for a separate "media server" piece of hardware, such as MS and many others sell now (like Iomega's Home Media Network drive for Mac).

all you need to do if you have a lot of media is to set up a new library with it all on any standard external 1T or 2T hard drive connected to any Mac in your house. and turn Home Sharing on. every Mac, PC, and AppleTV on your home network can then display that full library and stream (and copy) anything from it. and AirTunes can pump it into your sound system. the iPhone/touch Remote app can control it.

(btw, you should back up that media drive somehow too. TimeMachine can do it.)

this also means there is no compelling rationale any more - as there was before iTunes 9 - to be able to plug an external hard drive into the AppleTV USB port for media storage. and it is much easier to work with your media library on the Mac/PC anyway (edit metadata, etc.)

don't know why Apple has not given more prominence to this neat new feature of iTunes 9. instead of talking much about your home media setup, including ATV, Apple keeps promoting the iTunes Store and content products.
  • Reply 98 of 211
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

ease of use is nice, what about security? and not just encryption. can you disable SSID broadcasts, enable MAC filtering, lessen broadcasting power to lessen your range and other features that aren't intuitive?

Yes. These are all available in the Airport Utility and not hard to find or configure.

Open the Airport Utlitiy, click on the router, then manual setup menu item.

MAC address setup is in the top level access tab

Power and SSID is in the top level wireless tab and clicking advanced.

The nice thing is that bridging using two AEBS (or AEBS and Time Capsule) is easy to do. Just allow extending the network on the AEBS connected to the cable modem (or FIOS) and then on the other side pick "Extend a wireless network". Done.

This is often made more confusing than necessary on other routers. Even the lowly Airport Express can extend or bridge a WDS network.
  • Reply 99 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

isn't that called the PS3 or one of the brand X streaming products out there? i think Linksys makes one as well

I have a PS3 and although it can see videos stored on my NAS, it has issues with lots of codecs.

About 30% of the time, I have no choice but to watch whatever it is on my computer instead of the big screen :-|

Plus, the PS3 has a huuuge clunky remote, whereas the Apple Remote is so great.
  • Reply 100 of 211
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    My guess is that the next rev of the aTV will have the same ARM processor and GPU as the tablet. Which possibly will use the full speed version of the 3GS' Samsung S5PC100 Cortex A8 and the PowerVR SGX or perhaps more likely Samsung's Hummingbird 1Ghz ARM CPU (also Cortex A8) with the PowerVS SGX.

Then have a subset of iphone and tablet apps available for the aTV. Perhaps using iPod touch and iPhones as controllers for games.

Anyone interested in the aTV already has one or is waiting for the next major rev (like me).