What features do you want in the iSlate?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to see:

Video iChatting over wifi.

Nice camera on the back for photos & videos.

E-Book

Apps

Safari with Flash.

OTA tv watching.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

I'd like to see:

Video iChatting over wifi.

Nice camera on the back for photos & videos.

E-Book

Apps

Safari with Flash.

OTA tv watching.

Anyone else have any ideas?

How about an OLED screen with a smudge-free glass surface?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Decent battery life - especially if using as an e-reader
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I hope we see one iSlate not two. I have a feeling they will have one that works on 3G requiring a sim card and another that is just wifi. Do we really need both? Just sell one with a sim card tray and let the user decide if they want that feature active
  • Reply 4 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Better name!
  • Reply 5 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    1. Voice input, commands and dictation.

2. Multi tasking of user apps but maintaining the current app owns the screen arraingement.

3. Lots of RAM for a tablet. At least 1GB.

4. Quad core ARM processor

5. An OpenCL capable GPU.

6. All those chips managed with Grand Central Dispatch.

7. An ethernet port for those days when WiFi sucks.

8. USB ports using a standard plug socket. At least one but two would be better.

9. A built in broadcast TV tuner. This will likely require a socket for an antenna conection.

10. AM/FM radio. FM is virtually free these days due to it being built into networking chips.

11. The camera if it has one needs to have a real shutter release button.

12. An expansion port. Not in the USB sense bit in the mechanical sense for adding attachments like barcode readers.

13. Availability in multiple screen sizes. Something under 7 and over 10".

14. An Apple supported scripting language, either Python or Ruby. This in addition to things like such as Bash and Applescript. The reason is to support the user in building apps on machine itself.

15. Additional sensors. I'm expecting GPS, the accelerometers and compass. What I'm talking about is sensing for temperature, barometric pressure and other physical parameters.

16. It would be nice to have a multi spectral camera. That is one that extends a little beyound human vision into the near IR and UV. Some of this can be accomplished today with simple filter changes.

17. Professional quality audio inputs.

18. At least 128GB of flash in the base model.

19. Access to part of the file system for user data. And a browser to access that data.

20. The ability for apps to alternatively save data to that area described above. Plus that area needs to be mountable as a disk drive when plugged into the dock port.

21. A dedicated PDF reader app. Something like the preview app on the Mac.

22. Support for alternative software install methods. I actually like app store but for some uses it can be a pain in the ass. I'm talking mostly about business and the associated custom apps here.

23. One big fat battery. The unit needs to be able to keep a 3G connection open and running for at least 4 hours of heavy we browsing or video streaming.

24. Oh by the way 3G and all the contract nonsense needs to be optional. I'd probably want 3G myself but if it is built into every unit then business sales become a problem. As do sale to people whom can do without the contract.

25. A massively enhanced Safari. This is a given but the new Java script engine would be nice. As would be the ability to save sights and pages just like the desktop version of Safari. Reluctantly I'd like to see Flash but only if the can do Flash in the separate process to cut down on crashes.

26. Spell checker improvements. It works but could still be improved.

27. I kinda hit upon this above but user multi tasking is a must. The hope is that the interface is via a dock like is seen in Mac OS. However I want the apps to retain the assumption of full screen access. Of course this would also create a need to be able to exit apps. Ideally there would be a mechanism to manage how much performance an app can have when the power saver kicks in. Likewise the tablet needs to know when it is plugged into power and chane it's behaviour accordingly.

28. Which leads us to this thought ---> as good as the iPhone is power management wise it could use improvements. One of those improvements would be a separet plan for operating on external power.

29. A real text editor for E-Mail. Or an enhanced one to make better use of HTML in mail. For things like Lists and such.

30. Oh by the way Apple better not drop Mail in favor of a web app. Web apps for mail are universally bad. Given that the current Mail program on iPhone needs a lot of work and better control over local storage.

31. Expanded file viewing capabilities. What I'm talking about here is different formats for pics and movies. Especially formats common on other platforms. This needs to happen in all relavent apps.

32. New mapping software to replace Google maps. This needs to handle in car mapping well but still needs to be usable outside the car. Most importantly it needs to work off line with either cached or downloaded maps. Downloadable mapps need to be easy to install before going out of range.

33. A model with a solar cell back. For recharge when not using obviously. Though a front panel glass that is transparent but also a solar cell would be nice.

34. Speaking of glass it would ve really nice if the transparent Aluminum the military is working on where to replass the glass. It probably would add to much to the cost of the unit though.

35. A handle. Maybe something like a suitcase handle. A key here is that the handle would act like feet yo incline the display while on a table. It would be better than flip put feet and is a feature that serves multiple uses. They might even want to pit a high performance antenna in it.

36. Turn notes into a smarter note tool built around a database.

37. A separate DC in for charging. Ideally operable over a wide array of voltage and current sources. Most loikely the Solar cell idea above won't fly. The idea here is to be able to pick up charging juice from a wide variety of sources including solar panels. A range of 10 to 30 VDC would be nice. The charging circuitry would have to current limit based on source capability.

38. The design of the case is interesting as it needs to allow for a good and comfortable grip. I don't like rubber surfaces so maybe a ridge or checkering. Anything to avoid the dreaded slip.

39. A 1/4-20 tapped hole for tripod mounting. No I don't expect it to be a great picture taking device but it would be nice to have it on a tripod in studio or any number of other locations. For small devices like this a tripod screw is fine and allows the use of a wide range of existing equipment.

40. Apple support voice over IP app. VoIP is nice but Apple could bring more credibility to the alternative.

Well that is a start. I'm sure others can add to the list as I only stopes due to the need to do other things.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

[LIST=1][*]Voice input, commands and dictation.

That is the last thing we want when on the train.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Eye-contact video conferencing (i.e., a camera embedded in the screen, like right-between-the-eyes of the other party).
  • Reply 8 of 51
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    1. Voice input, commands and dictation.

2. Multi tasking of user apps but maintaining the current app owns the screen arraingement.

3. Lots of RAM for a tablet. At least 1GB.

4. Quad core ARM processor

5. An OpenCL capable GPU.

6. All those chips managed with Grand Central Dispatch.

7. An ethernet port for those days when WiFi sucks.

8. USB ports using a standard plug socket. At least one but two would be better.

9. A built in broadcast TV tuner. This will likely require a socket for an antenna conection.

10. AM/FM radio. FM is virtually free these days due to it being built into networking chips.

11. The camera if it has one needs to have a real shutter release button.

12. An expansion port. Not in the USB sense bit in the mechanical sense for adding attachments like barcode readers.

13. Availability in multiple screen sizes. Something under 7 and over 10".

14. An Apple supported scripting language, either Python or Ruby. This in addition to things like such as Bash and Applescript. The reason is to support the user in building apps on machine itself.

15. Additional sensors. I'm expecting GPS, the accelerometers and compass. What I'm talking about is sensing for temperature, barometric pressure and other physical parameters.

16. It would be nice to have a multi spectral camera. That is one that extends a little beyound human vision into the near IR and UV. Some of this can be accomplished today with simple filter changes.

17. Professional quality audio inputs.

18. At least 128GB of flash in the base model.

19. Access to part of the file system for user data. And a browser to access that data.

20. The ability for apps to alternatively save data to that area described above. Plus that area needs to be mountable as a disk drive when plugged into the dock port.

21. A dedicated PDF reader app. Something like the preview app on the Mac.

22. Support for alternative software install methods. I actually like app store but for some uses it can be a pain in the ass. I'm talking mostly about business and the associated custom apps here.

23. One big fat battery. The unit needs to be able to keep a 3G connection open and running for at least 4 hours of heavy we browsing or video streaming.

24. Oh by the way 3G and all the contract nonsense needs to be optional. I'd probably want 3G myself but if it is built into every unit then business sales become a problem. As do sale to people whom can do without the contract.

25. A massively enhanced Safari. This is a given but the new Java script engine would be nice. As would be the ability to save sights and pages just like the desktop version of Safari. Reluctantly I'd like to see Flash but only if the can do Flash in the separate process to cut down on crashes.

26. Spell checker improvements. It works but could still be improved.

27. I kinda hit upon this above but user multi tasking is a must. The hope is that the interface is via a dock like is seen in Mac OS. However I want the apps to retain the assumption of full screen access. Of course this would also create a need to be able to exit apps. Ideally there would be a mechanism to manage how much performance an app can have when the power saver kicks in. Likewise the tablet needs to know when it is plugged into power and chane it's behaviour accordingly.

28. Which leads us to this thought ---> as good as the iPhone is power management wise it could use improvements. One of those improvements would be a separet plan for operating on external power.

29. A real text editor for E-Mail. Or an enhanced one to make better use of HTML in mail. For things like Lists and such.

30. Oh by the way Apple better not drop Mail in favor of a web app. Web apps for mail are universally bad. Given that the current Mail program on iPhone needs a lot of work and better control over local storage.

31. Expanded file viewing capabilities. What I'm talking about here is different formats for pics and movies. Especially formats common on other platforms. This needs to happen in all relavent apps.

32. New mapping software to replace Google maps. This needs to handle in car mapping well but still needs to be usable outside the car. Most importantly it needs to work off line with either cached or downloaded maps. Downloadable mapps need to be easy to install before going out of range.

33. A model with a solar cell back. For recharge when not using obviously. Though a front panel glass that is transparent but also a solar cell would be nice.

34. Speaking of glass it would ve really nice if the transparent Aluminum the military is working on where to replass the glass. It probably would add to much to the cost of the unit though.

35. A handle. Maybe something like a suitcase handle. A key here is that the handle would act like feet yo incline the display while on a table. It would be better than flip put feet and is a feature that serves multiple uses. They might even want to pit a high performance antenna in it.

36. Turn notes into a smarter note tool built around a database.

37. A separate DC in for charging. Ideally operable over a wide array of voltage and current sources. Most loikely the Solar cell idea above won't fly. The idea here is to be able to pick up charging juice from a wide variety of sources including solar panels. A range of 10 to 30 VDC would be nice. The charging circuitry would have to current limit based on source capability.

38. The design of the case is interesting as it needs to allow for a good and comfortable grip. I don't like rubber surfaces so maybe a ridge or checkering. Anything to avoid the dreaded slip.

39. A 1/4-20 tapped hole for tripod mounting. No I don't expect it to be a great picture taking device but it would be nice to have it on a tripod in studio or any number of other locations. For small devices like this a tripod screw is fine and allows the use of a wide range of existing equipment.

40. Apple support voice over IP app. VoIP is nice but Apple could bring more credibility to the alternative.

Well that is a start. I'm sure others can add to the list as I only stopes due to the need to do other things.

Dave

Not bad. But your list is too brief. After you take your break to do other things please continue to add to your list.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That is the last thing we want when on the train.

I hardly think he was positing voice input would be required. Merely an alternative.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    The iSlate is going to incorporate a new technology that is going to sweep the world.

Apparantly hand gestures will control the UI with swipes up/down, left/right to turn pages and scroll web sites. Mulit-finger swipes will do different things, pinches and zooms will also be available. Moving objects in 3 dimensions will be possible with matching software.

A on screen pointer will be controlled by finger pointing and tapping in the air to click.

The only reason to touch the screen will be to type, but it will still be fully touch screen regardless as a backup.

All this will be done via the front facing web cam and some pretty niffy software.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Based on what I've heard on TWiT Network's This WEEK in Tech and MacBreak Weekly shows, here's my three-day "wild guess" on what we'll see on January 26, 2010:

1) We will have not one, but TWO different tablet computers, one with a 7" screen and one with a 10.1" screen. Both screens will be LED backlit (for now) to keep power consumption reasonably low.

2) The 7" version will offer 64 GB of flash memory, while the 10.1" version will offer 128 GB of flash memory. Mind you, if the next-generation flash memory is available by the time the tablet computers reach retailers in April 2010, we could get 128 GB for the 7" version and 256 GB or the 10" version.

3) The touchscreen could sport some sort of haptic touch feel--though the technology used is still unknown.

4) It will use improved versions of the CortexA8 ARM CPU and PowerVR GPU, using PA Semi technology that Apple owns because Apple bought out PA Semi. These improvements will speed up performance and allow for flawless playback of HD video downloaded through iTunes (720p plus full interactive LP liner notes).

5) It will run a new, "intermediate" MacOS X version that is more functional than the iPhone OS but less functional than MacOS X 10.6.2 found on real Mac computers. This new MacOS X variant allows for true multitasking and cut-and-paste, and will use an interface designed specifically for touchscreen functionality.

6) Will include 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless network connectivity as standard, with optional GSM 3G HSDPA/HSUPA / CDMA 3G EVDO multi-standard cellular network connectivity (probably using a Broadcom chipset).

7) External connectors will include iPod dock connector (for charging and syncing through USB 2.0 port) and Mini DisplayPort connector (with optional Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.3 adapter). A single SD/MMC memory card slot is possible, used primarily to download digital still camera pictures stored on SD cards (most digital still cameras use SD cards nowadays).

Pricing will be US$549 for 7" version, US$749 for 10.1" version.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    I would love to see great battery life and HD movies. I agree with most of the items on this article's wish list:

http://www.alltabletnews.com/2009/12...of-the-tablet/
  • Reply 13 of 51
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    To honest, I'd be interested to see Apple's take before venturing a guess on what else I'd want it to do. A lot of this depends on which OS its using.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

A lot of this depends on which OS its using.

Well, it won't be either the iPhone OS or the full MacOS X 10.6.2, that's to be sure. My personal guess--one shared by the guests on a recent This WEEK in Tech and MacBreak Weekly podcasts--is an "intermediate" MacOS X that will offer a lot more functionality than the iPhone OS (but less than the full MacOS X 10.6.2), which runs an interface designed specifically for tablet computer touchscreen operation.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Anyone else seen Avatar. There is a scene where he swipes his entire computer screen with his hand onto a tablet and carries it into another lab. This would be cool if future Macs could do this with the tablet.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Well, it won't be either the iPhone OS or the full MacOS X 10.6.2, that's to be sure. My personal guess--one shared by the guests on a recent This WEEK in Tech and MacBreak Weekly podcasts--is an "intermediate" MacOS X that will offer a lot more functionality than the iPhone OS (but less than the full MacOS X 10.6.2), which runs an interface designed specifically for tablet computer touchscreen operation.

I would love the best of both worlds. The "Finder" should definitely be neither Mac OS 10.X nor iPhone 3.X, but ideally, the OS should run both iPhone apps and Mac apps natively, and not in a virtual box-like environment.

To manipulate iPhone/iSlate specific apps (same paradigm), you would use your finger on the touchscreen just like you would on the iPhone, with the same sort of text entry system as the iPhone. To manipulate Mac OS apps you would use your finger on some sort of touch pad behind the screen to move the pointer as you hold the device. Text entry would be through an iPhone like virtual keyboard that would be a movable transparent overlay you could turn on and off with a hardware button and which would provide targeted haptic feedback. In addition you could turn on handwriting recognition where you simply use your finger to write letters anywhere on the screen, also with a hardware button to invoke.

This would be my ideal tablet device.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    I've been reading through the forums and something we haven't talked about yet are:

What accessories do you think we will see released with the tablet? (from Apple, from 3rd party) One thing I think Apple will provide is a stylish aluminum dock that you sit the tablet in and it looks like an iMac looks so you can enjoy the tablet when you're at home or office. The dock could also support charging. If you have it at home you could also have the bluetooth keyboard to add functionality.

I believe the MacBook Air was the first step for Apple and ultra slim design that we'll be expecting in this new tablet. I think Steve will say that Apple is very capable of creating a super thin functional product. If any of you have played with an Air, it almost looks like it could morph into a tablet with a small screen of course. I think when you cut down on screen size, reduce some of the processing and guts inside the air, drop the keyboard, and possible add a subsidy but i doubt it, you'll get something affordable in Apple's eyes. More affordable that that Air, I think the Air was just priced so high because it was the first step in ultra thin design, now the prices can come down.)

That's my 2 cents. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Dave, you left out #41, a "beam me up Scotty" feature.

Seriously, I'm happy with my iPod Touch with the exception of the small screen, which makes web browsing less than ideal. So I'd be easily satisfied if the new "iSlate" is nothing more than an iPod Touch on steroids. Besides the larger screen size I'd like to see longer battery life, at least 6 – 7 hours, so you could use it on a transcontinental flight, a faster processor, and a realistic price point, say $499 for a 32MB model, $599 for 64MB and $699 for 128MB. A deal killer for me would be if a cellphone plan was needed.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

A dealer killer for me would be if a cellphone plan was needed.

Well the part about this that would not make sense is most people now own iPhones and we already pay $30/month data plan per phone I believe it is... How could many people justify paying an extra $30/month for this device to also work on 3g/4g. If that was the case it would be hard for this machine to become as popular as the iphone due to the monthy fees associated. If they are doing a 3g/4g capable device, maybe the service would be discounted for iPhone owners, like an extra $10 per month? I dunno.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    college and high school text books in "cloud" no more back pain

textbook subsciption service