CES: Intel takes wraps off netbook app store, dubbed 'AppUp'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yea, and something as big as Intel, which controls the processors used in Apple's products.

Like they are not making enough money selling the chips, have to stick their nose in other markets.

That's not a good working partner.

Same goes for Google..

Guess monsters keep growing bigger and swallow everything they can, waiting for Steve to kick the bucket.

There is no way in hell Apple without Steve is going to be able to stand up to these pricks like Microsoft, Google and Intel getting into their market.

Somebody is going to buy Apple after Steve goes and the stock plummets, if arrangements for a merger are not already done ahead of time.

Google or Intel. I say Intel.

You are truly mental.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And once again, what is Apple doing to fix ANY of this? Nothing.

At least these apps will work on equipment from multiple manufacturers. Can you make make the same claim for the iTunes App Store?

Apple's ecosystem is FAR MORE proprietary than any other out there.

As are you.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

They want to be like Apple, but they don't know what Apple are like.

Exactly. Which just makes it all rather embarrassing.

Not to pick, but shouldn't it be "...what Apple IS like."? I know this discussion comes up once in a while but this one jumped out at me. Apple is A company, no?
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Poor Intel.

Upper management wants to grow beyond microprocessors and they keep looking for new markets to make them money. The culture doesn't let them take any really big long term chances so the only things that get the ok for funding are projects that emulate the companies around them that are currently successful and getting good press. They want to be Apple or Google or Nintendo or Nvidia. The execs in charge are not that bright or inspired so these projects tend to be superficial consumer views of companies they want to emulate.

Intel never goes full out because they don't want to piss off someone and lose cpu business. They end up with teams that are 90% marketing, 8% engineering managers, and 2% engineers to do the work, (half of which will be interns). It'll start out with slick PR but in around a year, the old line managers will take credit for a slick roll out and move on, leaving the project to be underfunded, wither, and die. Search for the guilty, punishment of the innocent, and praise for the non-participants. Those involved will regroup into something new and start the process over again.

Thank goodness for Core architecture and the fabs to keep the money coming in.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Good. This is perfect timing. We all know when Apple does something right, they do it better then anyone else. Let the PC world make the net books and app stores...The timing could not be more perfect for Apple to release their tablet computer.

We know that with Apple we will get great hardware design, and from the rumors there is going to be an interesting OS to run it. Combine the fact that there should already be an entrenched app store (assuming the iphone apps run on the tablet) for consumers to gobble up, and the fact that Apple has been talking with print publishers for a specialized magazine publishing store...this is probably going to be techno-geeks wet dream.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Honestly, this makes a lot of sense to me and I think AppUp is a great little catchy name. "Are you gonna AppUp this netbook or what?". The average netbook user doesn't seek out apps online... at all -- many don't know what an app is, they do everything through the web. So, a nice hub to show them all the possibilities is great.

You know there will be an AppStore for the tablet apps.

BTW:

"is vs. are" - I believe this is a difference in flavors of English. Some ->flavours<- refer to companies in terms of the people who make it up (they): Apple are... In the American flavor we consider a company a single entity (it): Apple is ... It's simply an international incongruence: like "shorts" and "torch."
  • Reply 27 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Exactly. Which just makes it all rather embarrassing.

Not to pick, but shouldn't it be "...what Apple IS like."? I know this discussion comes up once in a while but this one jumped out at me. Apple is A company, no?

Depends whether you're talking about Apple as a company or as a collection of people I'd suppose. But you're probably right.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

You are truly mental.

Yeah. I think its time to get off the drugs...
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Apple loom over the CES like the mothership from "V". Morena Baccarin is bit better looking the Steve... but its close.

Its a bit disturbing to see the mighty Intel join the sad loons who think that copying one part of an Apple strategy makes them cool and relevant.

That is a funny comparison.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

This is just sad really, everyone is trying to be like Apple, i find this disturbing.

This is taking it to the next level. This is the beginning of hardware manufactures seizing distribution from software publishers and ensuring software creators that every time you run a program it has been paid for and authorized to run on your system. Its just the direction the business is taking in order to actively combat piracy.

From an Intel Atom developer forum:

Quote:

While nothing is completely secure, we’re providing tools to help you insure people using your application have purchased it. The store SDK provides a license checking API that asks the system if the application is authorized to run.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program

This implies that even if you're submitting freeware the end user still has to authorize the app. But I don't know if that's really the case:

Quote:

Five things you should check before submitting your app for validation

Please make sure you are checking these five things before submitting your application for validation:

(1) Using the Intel Atom developer program SDK (beta)

(2) Calling the IsAuthorized API call correctly

(3) Using the right production GUID assigned for your application and not the test GUID

(4) Packaging your application correctly according to our packaging requirements

(5) Making sure your application launches correctly on a netbook with no obvious broken links.

And here's a tweet:

Quote:

Why does Atom need SDK? It is all about the store. SDK helps authorize apps so you know your app was bought not copied. #dev4atom

So like the iPhone you may have to jailbreak your PC to run pirated software, and its possible that at some point in the future you'll only be able to install approved apps. Not so much copying Apple as seizing control of software distribution and waging a new war on unauthorized installations.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

Yea, and something as big as Intel, which controls the processors used in Apple's products.

Like they are not making enough money selling the chips, have to stick their nose in other markets.

Same goes for Google..

Guess monsters keep growing bigger and swallow everything they can, waiting for Steve to kick the bucket.

There is no way in hell Apple without Steve is going to be able to stand up to these pricks like Microsoft, Google and Intel getting into their market.

Somebody is going to buy Apple after Steve goes and the stock plummets, if arrangements for a merger are not already done ahead of time.

Why all the doom and gloom?
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

Not unless Apple buys them 1st. At their current rate of growth they'll be buying them from loose change.

While some of your posts have been intriguing and thought provoking, I'd say it aint going to happen in the next ten years. Apple could coast in the next decade and still keep competitors at arms length. They proved they could 'coast' without Steve pretty ok.

If people 'walk' from Google's search engine, they're finished. It could happen. There's alot of hot air in that company. I'm trying to think of one 'essential' product they make.

Phones, meh. Os, big meh. Search engine is ok. (How long before Apple fight back on that one? Apple could hurt Google here. As a loyal Mac user, I'd use Apple's ahead of Google's engine. Just give me word, Apple...) Music? It's Apple. iPod and iTunes stomps over anything they have. Tablets? I'd put my money on Apple. Software. Apple. From consumer to professional stuff? Interface? Intuitive use? Simplicity? Apple. I don't use Google for email. I use Yahoo. But only because I've been lazy re: setting up mail. App store? Apple are beating the snot out of the rest of the competition combined. By the time they 'catch' up Apple will be on the next thing.

I can't think of one exciting product Google have released. Certainly not the 'me too' phone.

Shrugs. Wake me up when Google buys Apple. I don't see it happening. Before Steve goes I hope Apple have the war chest to H-Bomb Google, MS and Intel...buying Nokia with spare change along the way.

Wonder what the soon to be $50 billion pile of cash is for?

I wonder...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Why all the doom and gloom?

I would say its because he is tripping...
  • Reply 34 of 56
    ...and that data centre they're building...

Very intriguing...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Not unless Apple buys them 1st. At their current rate of growth they'll be buying them from loose change.

While some of your posts have been intriguing and thought provoking, I'd say it aint going to happen in the next ten years. Apple could coast in the next decade and still keep competitors at arms length. They proved they could 'coast' without Steve pretty ok.

If people 'walk' from Google's search engine, they're finished. It could happen. There's alot of hot air in that company. I'm trying to think of one 'essential' product they make.

Phones, meh. Os, big meh. Search engine is ok. (How long before Apple fight back on that one? Apple could hurt Google here. As a loyal Mac user, I'd use Apple's ahead of Google's engine. Just give me word, Apple...) Music? It's Apple. iPod and iTunes stomps over anything they have. Tablets? I'd put my money on Apple. Software. Apple. From consumer to professional stuff? Interface? Intuitive use? Simplicity? Apple. I don't use Google for email. I use Yahoo. But only because I've been lazy re: setting up mail. App store? Apple are beating the snot out of the rest of the competition combined. By the time they 'catch' up Apple will be on the next thing.

I can't think of one exciting product Google have released. Certainly not the 'me too' phone.

Shrugs. Wake me up when Google buys Apple. I don't see it happening. Before Steve goes I hope Apple have the war chest to H-Bomb Google, MS and Intel...buying Nokia with spare change along the way.

Wonder what the soon to be $50 billion pile of cash is for?

I wonder...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You make some good points.

Apple may very well get into search along with a web based iTunes. I can definitely see Apple doing a search engine to go along with it.

Yes you are correct. Google does seem to be full of a lot of hot "air". With Google obviously their main revenue is advertising. They seem to be positioning themselves to continue that dominance by bringing out android, chrome and the new net book OS. This works well because it also allows them a chance to be a player in those markets along with ensuring revenue streams. One needs to give their business model credit and I think Apple see's this and is compelled to do the same. Google is a very smart business model and its not going to go anywhere anytime soon. They are the microsoft of the internet age in terms of smart business and dominance. Clearly Apple see's this and feel it needs to combat it, and be competitive with this practice in the long term.

I see advertising and search engines with iTunes web edition in Apple;s future.

You're right. Google is no Apple when it comes to GUI operating systems. They have a long way to go.

Gmail is a very good web based email. I prefer it to Yahoo.

Yeah what will Apple do with all its cash reserves? Its an interesting comment. They are positioning themselves to invest at will if they see the value in it. Imagine Apple becoming part telco company to position themselves very strongly with tv/media internet and phhone service. I doubt it would happen but it seems like Apple would position themselves very nicely this way.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    No wonder Paul Otellini was slobbering all over Jobs in their presentation together a while back. Intel knows how to make chips and they have the fabs, but they need to be pushed hard in order to make any kind of intelligent decision on direction. Their app store idea is completely wrongheaded.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Same goes for Google..

Google makes the most sense to me, and they don't make any sense.

The stock will dive UNLESS, Steve steps down after this REALLY BIG deal in January, and is around for months to come. Then his stepping down will be a thing of the past, and apple will be fine even without Steve.

They, Apple does NEED to come up with another spokesperson to get ready to taek over the helm. All this person has to do or be, is, have great stage presents, the rest, Apple products can take care of.

Skip
  • Reply 38 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Why is everyone rushing to duplicate the App Store model, complete with 30/70 split? I've had it explained to me over and over by the tech punditry that everybody hates that because it's so controlling.

The people wish to download binaries that they compile at their leisure, or cobble together their user experience from multiple sources, as well as seek out and install home brew "updates" that totally fix any problems or shortcomings one may have been having. Putting everything in one store is much Hitler, no?

Holy shit, Intel has gone fascist!
  • Reply 39 of 56
    As chief visionary and the guy who says which way the company is going, Jobs is irreplaceable. If you want someone who can run the company intelligently after he's gone they have the people in place. The difference is that Jobs and Apple are one and the same. Apple's his baby, even though it took many people to birth the company and grow it.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    One last thing. I don't believe Apple has proven itself without Steve Jobs. Not yet. The Company did well for the little amount of time Steve was on the sideline. I Don't think its the best measuring stick to say that Apple will be fine without Steve Jobs. Apple without Steve Jobs for five years would be a much better interpretation.