Source: Apple shopping for LED camera flash components

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Th lens used on a mobile phone likely cost pennies. Its a total joke to put them on any scale of quality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

I'm not a big flash user either.

Can anyone say how well the lenses on those phones stack up?

A more sensitive chip is all very well, but - leaving cost aside - a better lens will make a better difference to the picture quality (as well as reduce the need for flash).

• Reply 42 of 76
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    where does it say that this flash is for iPhone use? Why not for the iSLate/iTablet thingie?
  • Reply 43 of 76
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

How is it not scrollable?

Obnoxious. It's a bit late for me to change my gestures. And if it takes five attempts to not pop up that damn bubble "copy" but to actually scroll the page, I call this obnoxiously non-scrollable.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvolino View Post

What about fill-flash, where the background is bright, but the person is in shade or because the camera is using an average exposure that's too dark for people's faces outside...would that be acceptable use of a flash? Also, even in some situations where the light is not that dark to our eyes, it's not bright enough for the tiny lens in a cell phone.

Oh, and how about a flash shoe, rangefinder, focus ring and aperture adjustment? We'll turn these iPhones into iCameras before long.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    On the topic of must-haves, how about being able to use the iPhone (and iPod Touch) in disk mode? C'mon, Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Obnoxious. It's a bit late for me to change my gestures. And if it takes five attempts to not pop up that damn bubble "copy" but to actually scroll the page, I call this obnoxiously non-scrollable.

Dude; the problem is clearly that "you" are obnoxiously non-scrollable. You're like my Grandma, who still can't manipulate a mouse.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Dude; the problem is clearly that "you" are obnoxiously non-scrollable. You're like my Grandma, who still can't manipulate a mouse.

Right. I'm pretty much like your Grandma.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Oh no, my phone isn't a camera! Damn you APPLE!!!!

The picture with the flash still looks like garbage. sure now you can see detail but the color is atrocious. I'm all for having a camera in a phone for convenience but people really need to keep it in perspective. It's a camera, in a phone. Not a camera. No matter what Apple does it will never be as good as a dedicated unit. Nothing they do can change the fact that the lens is a piece of plastic garbage, that it shoots at f/8 most of the time (because f/11 is the only other f stop), depth of field is always deep and uncontrollable, the lens is always at a fixed focal length and the shutter can only operate between 1/15th and 1/60th of a second. For Pete's sake, for about $100 you can get a camera that is leaps and bounds better than the iphone.

That said I would like to see a 5MP camera but an LED flash sounds like garbage. That's the reason for the color shift in the 2nd shot. LED's don't "burn" at the correct temp and do not provide the intensity needed to create proper contrast/ saturation. Might as well just bust out an LED flashlight and shoot it into the ceiling if that's all the light you need. It'll probably work better and provide more light.

If anything Apple should think about making the camera faster. faster App launch, faster picture taking, faster download from chip to camera. Maybe capture 2 or 3 frames in memory before writing to the card. Apple may want to consider putting a 720p capable chip in the phone to compete with the flip.

BTW AjitMD: Why exactly is it "about time" Apple improved the camera? I love your attitude. Apple doesn't understand the competition? I'm afraid you're the one who does not understand. Let me ask... Have you enjoyed taking 10 MP images on your Nokia? Does the droid come with a 12x optical zoom lens? No wait, Palm has just released a sports phone that captures little Billy's soccer game in 32 frames bursts at 12 FPS for 10 MP images. You''ll never miss any of the action...

First of all...

CMOS is a generally a better chip (power and rendering) CCD is old tech and as far as large sensor (?) are you kidding? How would you expect Apple to cram a bigger chip into a phone while also compensating for a huge power draw? Maybe we need brick sized battery adapters as well. I have $5k cameras that still only have a 1/3rd" chips in them. Zeiss glass? If you think a lens the size or an eraser head will take better pictures because it's made out of Zeiss glass you're an idiot. Not to mention a zoom lens? What is the point of 2x zoom? That's all you will ever get if they can even fit that in there. Just take 2 steps forward. I suppose you'd like a giant 80-200mm f/2.8 lens on the iphone as well.

You are very typical of a person talking about things they have no knowledge of. You are arrogant to say the least Just another consumer begging for features they don't understand. Buy a CAMERA and don't try using it to make phone calls.

Call me an idiot? People like you are brave behind an electronic veil. In reality probably a nobody whimp. If my comments are not accurate it is ok to point, instead of launching this tirade. They do have hate forums for your kind.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know it's unlikely, but who here doesn't also hope that it's the Apple logo on the back of the phone that becomes the light source?

I have always thought the logo should be the Flash, 'cause it doesn't affect the design, and since Apple likes those cool details maybe it could happen, but I wouldn't count too much on that, we'll see.

Now, that's the reason I'll upgrade from my 3G
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

LED flash is one of I hope several advancements for this years model. To be honest, the hardware is getting a little stale. Same essential hardware design for the last three years, same screen size, same resolution. Apple needs to catch up from some minor software and hardware perspectives.

I agree about getting a little stale, though they did make a fairly substantial change to the overall design (not the screen) with the change from the aluminum back models to the ceramic backed ones. I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I contemplated test driving a Nexus One yesterday: the iPhone's been relatively unchanged for three years both hardware and software-wise (if you're a jailbreaker), which is an eternity in this arena. But I am fickle: cars, lovers, computers and phones - all of them get stale after 2-3 years!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

I keep reading that you guys want a new hardware design... like what? There's a reason Motorola, RIM, Palm, and HTC keep putting out phones with the same shape and similar looks as the iPhone; it works well in the hand.

Honestly, I don't see where else there is to go.

The overall shape and design not much room to improve, but I'd sure like that bigger, brighter, higher resolution screen the Nexus One, and even the Droid have! Plus the unicorn-like front facing camera. Maybe those aren't "new hardware design", but the iPhone 4 will have to have something more than a speed bump in the same package to keep me interested in the iPhone much longer. (But I've had one since day one of the original phone's release, if you're newer to the iPhone, it's probably not as stale feeling.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Call me an idiot? People like you are brave behind an electronic veil. In reality probably a nobody whimp. If my comments are not accurate it is ok to point, instead of launching this tirade. They do have hate forums for your kind.

I absolutely agree with you. I can tell you with 100% certainty that 99% of the nasty stuff people have said to me in a chatroom/forum over the years would NEVER be said to my face if we were within easy reach of each other; or at least never said twice. But the firewall of a keyboard/screen & a farily anonymous presence brings out the bully in everyone, and we just need to realize that and ignore those who can't maintain a civil tone.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

You wrote: "appear to jive with rumors...".

I think you mean "jibe with rumors". JIBE means agree with. JIVE is a type of music or talk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvolino View Post

jive

verb informal

1 [ intrans. ] perform the jive or a similar dance to popular music : people were jiving in the aisles.

2 [ trans. ] informal taunt or sneer at : Willy kept jiving him until Jimmy left.

perhaps you meant:

jibe

verb [ intrans. ] informal

be in accord; agree : the verdict does not jibe with the medical evidence.

ORIGIN early 19th cent.: of unknown origin.

Wow, two, count them, two grammar cops in the same thread!

Amazing.

Really!
  • Reply 52 of 76
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... It's a camera, in a phone. Not a camera. No matter what Apple does it will never be as good as a dedicated unit. ...

This is false. It's patently obvious that the small cameras in phones are rapidly coming to a point where they are equal to the average consumer camera. The technology will only get better, and the "slope" of the speed of improvement in these types of devices is also getting steeper.

The entire market is going solid state and small size in a big hurry. In the video camera market it's already difficult to even find a camera that uses miniDV tape anymore, and the ones that record to DVD are practically out of business already also.

There are several cameras the same size or so as the average cell phone that record HD video to a solid state chip using a very small lenses. Additionally, recent advances in tech include auto-focus, and software controlled focussing lenses that would fit in a device as thin as the iPhone (or thinner). Advances in LED tech are also coming fast and furious.

If you are talking about hundreds of megapixels and customised use cameras, etc. then yeah, there will always be dedicated "cameras" that are better than anything in a cell phone. If you are talking about "cameras" as the average person understands and uses them (both video and still), then it's actually extremely likely that in about than four years or so, the camera in your cell phone will be as good as almost any other still or video camera that you can buy.

Face it dude, "cameras" are on the way out, and will disappear almost as fast as "calculators" did.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

UR just doin it wrong.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I know it's unlikely, but who here doesn't also hope that it's the Apple logo on the back of the phone that becomes the light source?

That is improbable if the logo remains in the center back. It?s not ideal for many reasons.

Personally, I?d rather have a night-capable video camera than a flash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Exactly the kind of thing I want to hear. The two things keeping me from upgrading to an iPhone are the lack of a flash and the still small memory capacity. Add the luxeon flash and 64GB of storage and I'll happy upgrade when the new one comes.

We?ve been hearing this since the iPhone had 8GB. ?If only it had <double_current_capacity> I?d get one.? What phone has more. Hell, even the Nexus One only has 4.5GB for storage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Man alive it is about time. My Blackberry has had an awesome flash for a few years now. The battery life isn't that great and the photos it takes aren't either but at least it has a camera flash.

So you want something to add to a spec list over something usable just to have it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

It is about time Apple improved on the camera. Instead of CMOS, they need to go with CCD and larger sensors... more important than just measuring MPixel. For decent pictures, the camera needs a Zeiss quality glass lenses. Optical zoom would be nice, but space is a limitation. These kinds of upgrades would be category killers for the causual camera/camcorder.

Word.

Quote:

Along with multitasking, we need the capability to have latent apps like Skype than will ring the phone for a VoIP call. The competition - Google - is implementing this feature, so Apple better keep up. About time we had folders.

That VoIP seems likely once the single carrier contracts are up.

As for multitasking, the best method I can see for this isn?t the poorly conceived in Android, WinMo and WebOS, but a controlled model for optimal efficiency.

This is how I think it will likely work?
    For starters, you can?t have any and every iPhone app run in the background when you press the Home Button. Most apps simply don?t need to run in the background. I suspect that Apple will use the Push Notification-like setup for multitasking. That means like with PNS the developer has to activate it first in their code. This is good in that it?ll hopefully require the developer to make the app running in the background follow some guidelines. Then you go to Settings to turn on the developer configured app(s) you want to continue running in the background when you press the Home Button. You can also turn off the option completely or change apps. The Menu Bar would likely have a symbol denoting background apps are running but hopefully Apple creates a better system message interface that would have more detailed info about these things and more.
    ?Any ideas on this front are welcome.

Quote:

Apple underestimated the competition... now they are catching up and fast... especially with the hardware. That is one big mistake businesses make.

I?m not so sure that is true. The competition is moving much faster but to say they are catching up is only being measured by the current iPhone at the mid-way point in its update cycle. They are still losing ground on copying many areas of the iPhone ecosystem. I don?t doubt there are recent mobile OS advancements that will find there way into iPhone v4.0 but that is par for the course, not a result of Apple asleep at the wheel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Segue: After a decade mostly using a trackpad I have a tough time with a mouse. I didn?t think you could unlearn something like that.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Now that would be really cool! The only problem with that however is that the logo would diffuse the light ( spread out the angle of it ) to areas that aren't in the photo thus reducing its effectiveness. I am assuming that a minimum power would want to be used to conserve the battery and yet have the light reach far enough to get a group photo of friends say at 10 feet. That would need a reflector or whatever means the LED uses to be able to "use" the light in the most effective way.

And as a side note, I would be getting the iTouch with the 5MP not the iPhone. Using WiFi to get on the internet, although not as convenient as an iPhone is good enough for me considering the growing # of hot spots. AT&T does not work well for me at my home or in my travels so I'll just carry a smaller Verizon phone with me. Well, it's 2 separate pieces of gear but I'm not paying those hefty data fees either.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I would love to see RFID "wave to pay" technology built in. Apple is the one company that can achieve this and actually manage to reduce the complexity compared to a credit card sale. Imagine if the iPhone was required to secure your gps coordinates for every transaction so even if it was stolen it would be forced to connect to the Internet and deactivate the iPhone once you have reported it missing. It would leave a trail of timestamped gps breadcrumbs for every sale prior to you reporting it missing. They could waive the creditcard transaction fees for the seller by linking the sale directly to your iTunes account balance and allowing you to "top up" in say $50 increments. Sellers would love this as they could do away with card surcharges on small sales, it would speed up the transaction and they could start moving towards cashless operations. Apple wins because they get to sell a few million wifi-connected, airport-like, wave to pay systems to sellers and because more people will buy iPhones, iPod touches and connect their cash with the iTunes store.

Probably a bit premature for this iteration but i'm sure it's on their device horizon by now.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

This is false. It's patently obvious that the small cameras in phones are rapidly coming to a point where they are equal to the average consumer camera. The technology will only get better, and the "slope" of the speed of improvement in these types of devices is also getting steeper.

The entire market is going solid state and small size in a big hurry. In the video camera market it's already difficult to even find a camera that uses miniDV tape anymore, and the ones that record to DVD are practically out of business already also.

There are several cameras the same size or so as the average cell phone that record HD video to a solid state chip using a very small lenses. Additionally, recent advances in tech include auto-focus, and software controlled focussing lenses that would fit in a device as thin as the iPhone (or thinner). Advances in LED tech are also coming fast and furious.

If you are talking about hundreds of megapixels and customised use cameras, etc. then yeah, there will always be dedicated "cameras" that are better than anything in a cell phone. If you are talking about "cameras" as the average person understands and uses them (both video and still), then it's actually extremely likely that in about than four years or so, the camera in your cell phone will be as good as almost any other still or video camera that you can buy.

Face it dude, "cameras" are on the way out, and will disappear almost as fast as "calculators" did.

Exaggerate much? 100's of Mega pixels? What's a customized use camera? They already do only one thing; take pictures. and obviously we aren't talking about high speed cameras here.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Unless the iphone lens gets bigger (diameter) there is still no way it would be better than a $200 camera with a bigger lens, that's just physics. A zoom will never extend as far due to mechanics and engineering, unless you're talking digital zoom but then you might just as well resize the image in post. A dedicated camera will probably always capture more pixels than a cell phone camera. You don't have to spend more than $200 to get a 10 MP camera with a 12x zoom and 6 fps. I suppose you're planning on replacing your Macpro with the tablet as well?

My point is... Apple could just make the camera quicker overall and make a better camera.

They don't "have" to add something as ugly an unusable as a flash to the case. Nor as some have said was it a "big mistake" for Apple to omit the flash from the iphone. Hardly. It was a solid decision I would be inclined to stick to were it not for consumer perception.

As others have pointed out, available light generally garners the best results as long as the shutter speed is adequate to capture the image without blurring. The reason the iphone even needs a flash is because of the physics dictating the narrow f-stop range of the lens.

Besides, Wouldn't it be nice not to have to wait 7 seconds before you take the next shot? Wouldn't it be great if it didn't take 15 seconds for the camera ap to open? Those are the shots that this camera is meant for...un-anticipated shots where you wouldn't normally be carrying your camera around.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:

i was thinking the same thing! it would be awesome, i really hope the engineers can pull it off.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    nudistnudist Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

iPhone 4G:

Hardware improvements:

New Design... please its getting old and boring...

Screen with much higher resolution. I personally don't want OLED because of bad performance in sunlight, something you don't want on a phone, but wouldn't care with a PMP.

I would also like a slightly bigger screen with 16:9 aspect ratio, but nothing really important.

Better camera with higher resolution and 720p video.

LED Flash!

Cortex ARM9 chip, with 1GHz or higher clock speed.... (something that works well with a good battery life.. Apple can figure it out..)

Software:

Multitasking!!

Some sort of addition that makes alarm clock apps work without leaving them on all night! (self launching apps. Obviously this is tricky because of virus problems..)

Slightly newer UI, which works with multitasking..

contacts etc synching with gmail, facebook, etc, something like WebOS.

built in voice typing... more voice commands.. but i don't want it to work like android, where it send voice to their server and gets results. I want the feature to work when offline..

Surprise me!

It would also nice for the next iphone to have fingerprint recognition which could help a a multitude of application including faster logon and form validation. Not sure if this is possible just software only
  • Reply 60 of 76
    nudistnudist Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Exaggerate much? 100's of Mega pixels? What's a customized use camera? They already do only one thing; take pictures. and obviously we aren't talking about high speed cameras here.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Unless the iphone lens gets bigger (diameter) there is still no way it would be better than a $200 camera with a bigger lens, that's just physics. A zoom will never extend as far due to mechanics and engineering, unless you're talking digital zoom but then you might just as well resize the image in post. A dedicated camera will probably always capture more pixels than a cell phone camera. You don't have to spend more than $200 to get a 10 MP camera with a 12x zoom and 6 fps. I suppose you're planning on replacing your Macpro with the tablet as well?

My point is... Apple could just make the camera quicker overall and make a better camera.

They don't "have" to add something as ugly an unusable as a flash to the case. Nor as some have said was it a "big mistake" for Apple to omit the flash from the iphone. Hardly. It was a solid decision I would be inclined to stick to were it not for consumer perception.

As others have pointed out, available light generally garners the best results as long as the shutter speed is adequate to capture the image without blurring. The reason the iphone even needs a flash is because of the physics dictating the narrow f-stop range of the lens.

Besides, Wouldn't it be nice not to have to wait 7 seconds before you take the next shot? Wouldn't it be great if it didn't take 15 seconds for the camera ap to open? Those are the shots that this camera is meant for...un-anticipated shots where you wouldn't normally be carrying your camera around.

Let's face it. When it comes to the camera functionality, the iphone is a point and shoot compact. This talk of using available light and slower shutter speeds is moving into the realm of something more. A flash is more than adequate for the average joe wanting to grab a quick photographic record for the family album. If you want a more fully featured camera in your iphone why not have a mounting point for a monopod or tripod and do it properly?