Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 521 of 785
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Rather than considering what the iPad doesn't do, I think it has to be assessed based on what it does do. For anyone considering purchasing this or any product, it comes down to whether or not a particular product performs functions that warrant buying it.

While you downplay what this machine can do, I believe that quite a few people will find it useful. Don't forget that you have a lot of people who have been using the iPhone and Touch to perform many of the functions that the iPad will. I think with a starting price of about $500, many of those people will find it appealing to have the opportunity to perform those functions on a device with a much larger screen. Apple will lose the opportunity to sell this unit to individuals who wanted the unit to do more but the potential customer base for this device is such that it's going to be successful just the same.

Keep in mind, too, that Apple operates on the notion that if you can't do something right, don't do it all. It's not as if any other company has successfully tamed the tablet's shortcomings. Tablets have been notoriously unpopular, pricey devices. The iPad, on the other hand, at least at first glance, would appear to be a reasonably priced device with a good shot at being popular.

I don't disagree that it will be popular and that it will be a success for Apple. I am likely buying at least one myself.

That doesn't stop me from seeing that this is really nothing new technology wise, and is primarily a device for passive consumption of media, rather than a mobile computer that one can use to produce media.

It is a worthy netbook replacement only in the sense that most people don't use a netbook for anything but passive activities like browsing the web or watching movies.

It is not a worthy netbook replacement if you consider a netbook something you actually do work on.
  • Reply 522 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So then all of the Flash haters will quieting go out and purchase the dreaded Adobe product because Obj C was too difficult to learn - but Flash has made it easy to write IpHone apps with the next version due out soon.

Please don't project yourself onto flash haters. Just learn objective-c.

Code porting is, at best, an educated guess.
  • Reply 523 of 785
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I don't think the price is particularly good either. Since this device is intended principally for the consumption of visual media, nothing less than the 64gb version is likely going to be adequate.

That's $699 to start with.

Case - got to have the case - what's that - another $30?

$729

Got to have the SD card adapter and the USB one - that's $20 each.

$769

Keyboard and stand - got some reports to catch up on - got to have the keyboard - That's $60.

$829

$1 - the cost of the bullet to shoot myself with when I realise I could have had a Macbook for only $170 more.

Why is nothing less than 64gB going to be adequate - your statement and following assumption begins with a nonsensical conclusion. Why do you need the SD adapter and the USB one? If you already have a bluetooth keyboard why do you need to buy another one. $499 will do just what I need this device to do. I'm not replacing a laptop, I'm seeing this device for what it is and browsing the web (no need for storage) reading a book (can't be that big a file) or listening to some music (again, 64gig covers most peoples audio listening for a few days.) All at home on my wireless N network. Easy. $499. No more.

"Since this device is intended principally for the consumption of visual media" Is it? I thought it was principally for reading books, browsing the web and checking yr email?
  • Reply 524 of 785
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why is nothing less than 64gB going to be adequate - your statement and following assumption begins with a nonsensical conclusion. Why do you need the SD adapter and the USB one? If you already have a bluetooth keyboard why do you need to buy another one. $499 will do just what I need this device to do. I'm not replacing a laptop, I'm seeing this device for what it is and browsing the web (no need for storage) reading a book (can't be that big a file) or listening to some music (again, 64gig covers most peoples audio listening for a few days.) All at home on my wireless N network. Easy. $499. No more.

"Since this device is intended principally for the consumption of visual media" Is it? I thought it was principally for reading books, browsing the web and checking yr email?

Great post.
  • Reply 525 of 785
    Phew, I'm so glad all the pre-release hype is finally over. I got caught up in all of the rumors and foolishly expected a product that would change the course of life on earth. There's no way this device could have come close to meeting all of the unrealistic expectations. As a device that functions somewhere between a laptop and an iphone/iPod touch, of course it will not have the same features as a laptop (especially at its price point). So now that my sanity has returned, I have to admit that most of the details around the iPad makes sense. It serves a different purpose from the iPhone or a laptop, and it will not please everyone, which is okay.

Overall, I like the iPad. The ability to use iPhone apps is a smart decision by Apple. It gives them an automatic advantage over the makers of similar tablets. I'm not crazy about the wide bezel for aesthetic reasons, but I understand why it's there. I really want to see multitasking on the iPad. I have a suspicion that multitasking will come with the next iPhone OS update, but since that has not yet been released, Apple chose not to discuss it. The full power of this device will become more clear when creative developers start to think about how to use the large screen. There's also a lot that we don't know. For example, how does the filing system work? Will AT&T enable tethering this century? I will definitely buy an iPad, but I would buy the wifi only version if I could tether it to my iPhone. The next 2 months should be interesting.
  • Reply 526 of 785
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

I don't think the price is particularly good either. Since this device is intended principally for the consumption of visual media, nothing less than the 64gb version is likely going to be adequate.

$729

$769

Keyboard and stand - got some reports to catch up on - got to have the keyboard - That's $60.

$829

$1 - the cost of the bullet to shoot myself with when I realise I could have had a Macbook for only $170 more.

You can't have your cake and eat it - it is either for consuming visual media or it is a travel warrior's weapon and needs cases, i/O add-ons and keyboards. Given that most use will be at home or in school or between the 2 where you are in easy reach of resynching even your initial premise is BS. 64GB just means less refilling from the PC/Mac.

ANyway - as people have said ad infinitum here, it is not to replace a MacBook - it is to do the things that the Macbook or iphone doesn't do well, largely in addition to having a laptop/desktop. The iWork stuff is just emergency/fooling about stuff - not the core value proposition. If you don't see the need or can't afford both, leave it be - no-one will miss you.
  • Reply 527 of 785
  • Reply 528 of 785
  • Reply 529 of 785
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Please don't project yourself onto flash haters. Just learn objective-c.

Code porting is, at best, an educated guess.

Maybe you are right about the code porting. We'll see how it works out.

As for me, I've been card carrying, Icode t-shirt wearing, Apple Dev for several years now and an iPhone dev since it became available. Also completed the Stanford course on iTunes U
  • Reply 530 of 785
    The iPad reminds of of the tablet device they use on Star Trek. No camera, rigid metal back, but a simple computer to use that integrates with the ship's computer if they need more processing power.

They also use those devices to read reports and books as well as write up reports. The doctors use it as their medical pads.

It is one single type of tablet device and it can be use for different purposes based on the software they are using. Kind of like the iPad.
  • Reply 531 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I am not impressed at all with this tablet and want to see what software comes with this hardware and how is it going to be developed in future. Nothing earth shattering and basically living off the iPhone great start for apple in smartphone sector.

I wait until I get more details before, i buy this one, at moment 5/10 effort, certainly for me NOT slam dunk and I will be watching the market closely and actually thinking for the first time to dump some Apple shares.

Lets see what the support and software is, but I am disappointed, since it is certainly does not have the impact like iPhone did in its release.

Soul

Edit 6/10, since I be able to ran Skype on it and but I see no webcam or did I miss that in the spec?

NOT having a webcam is very strange. A tablet like this would have been useful for conference calls with skype or related software. maybe the CPU is not powerful enough???
  • Reply 532 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I spend quite a while typing while I surf, for example, what are you doing now?

Scrolling and clicking and reading mostly, until I stopped to type just a couple of words in reply :-)
  • Reply 533 of 785
    Actually, I'm more intrigued after watching the video here:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Some of the software adaptations look really nice. This would be great for traveling, showing off photos and doing quick email checks (I'll read mail on my iPod touch but usually wait until I'm back on my computer to reply). I wonder what it's like to type on.
  • Reply 534 of 785
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I could only imagine what these tablets and phones would do to a cellular network if they all had cameras.

Wouldn't be pretty.
  • Reply 535 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Actually, I'm more intrigued after watching the video here:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Some of the software adaptations look really nice. This would be great for traveling, showing off photos and doing quick email checks (I'll read mail on my iPod touch but usually wait until I'm back on my computer to reply). I wonder what it's like to type on.

Well, its normal for alot of people to trash on a device (like right here) without actually seeing how it runs.

Yeah, multi-tasking is a bit of a bumber.

But MAYBE, it will come in iPhone/iPad OS 4.0.

Typical internet hype. Went WAY overboard and people expected too much. Whats new?
  • Reply 536 of 785
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]You probably don't, but those who find most ebook readers to be over-priced 'one trick ponies' will find the iPad quite compelling as an alternative device that offers the luxury of being a complete media device.

Only Time Will Tell How This All Plays Out...[/CENTER]

By eBook reader, I meant the several existing apps I have on my iPhone. Most of them are free. I like some better then others. All of them have easily-obtainable titles.

I agree that the hardware eBook readers are of questionable value.
  • Reply 537 of 785
    Quote:

$729

$769

$829

Well, more like $300 or even less depending on the model.

As far as I know, the Macbook does not come with 3G so you can't be net enabled wherever you go. Only in hotspots.

Of course, notebooks are clunky as hell to use unless you sit them on something. Not the utmost of portable devices. Of course, a phone is the most portable of devices.
  • Reply 538 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

The super-wide bezel is a little bit ugly.

It is NOT super wide! It is just wide enough to SAFELY hold your expensive iPad without interfering with its huge touch sensitive surface! Like said above: Ergonomics people.

Think for a second. If the screen was nearly edge to edge as some of you were expecting, how the hell would you hold and use this thing without constantly interfering with its touch surface or without dropping it to the floor every 5 minutes! What is so hard about understanding that?

I guess it will all make perfect sense when people will be able to handle it themselves.
  • Reply 539 of 785
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In all fairness, Apple has barely contributed to the pre-release hype. Almost zero.

However, at or close to a major product release, do you expect the head of a company to be enthusiastic (and a tad hyperbolic) about it? Unless you were emotion-dead as a CEO, you most certainly would sound excited about it. That's all Apple has done.

Why are you being defensive? Are you disappointed with the product?
  • Reply 540 of 785
    I've read practically all the responses concerning the new iPad. So many people complaining what this device doesn't do. But I believe it does exactly what it was designed for. As many others have pointed out, it's designed for casual reading, video viewing and replying to email. It is not meant to replace your desktop or laptop. If you want to use iChat or multi-tasking, get a Macbook Pro or an iMac.

My wife hates computers. She leaves all of that to me. But I can easily see her getting a subscription to her favorite magazines to read on this device.

I don't have to be stuck in another room tied to my desktop to see a movie in the family room.

All I'm saying is this device is not for us techies. It's designed for the millions of people who already have a computer and who want something a little more portable for use around the house. It's also made for all those people who hate computers but who would love to send email or get photos from the grandkids. It's designed to be easy to use for the non techie crowd. I think this is going to be a huge seller even without the features so many have pointed out it lacks. We just don't understand how to sell a product. Find a niche and fill it. I think Steve Jobs and his team have done that and in a beautiful way. I'm willing to bet there will be lines around the block the day this device is launched.