Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 461 of 785
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That's all it appears to be good for. Super casual computing. The iWork stuff looks like it would be really frustrating as does the paint app. Phil - "the best word processor ever"??? Anything that requires a lot of precision is going to be a pain in the ass trying to accomplish on that device. Just like the iPhone is frustrating for composing long emails, cut and paste or getting the cursor where you want it. And if you are going to leave it attached to the keyboard, you might as well have a MacBook. Of course it is a bit less expensive but so is a crappy Windows PC. You get what you pay for I guess.

Composing long emails, cutting and pasting - use the optional keyboard... duh!
  • Reply 462 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder how long it will take after the release for it to be jailbroken.

Um .... they come "jailbroken".
  • Reply 463 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

This looks like it could be a VERY interesting consumer device.

Sure, tablets in one form or another have been around for ages, but they were the kind of thing spotty faced geeks might play with for a bit and soon get bored with because they couldn't do anything useful with them, not the sort of thing your wife or g/f or kids or mom will be lusting after and putting top of their Christmas lists for the next few years, and trust me, they WILL lust after the iPad. Big time. Minimalist styling and a silky smooth design that fits smoothly in the hand is EXACTLY what they want. Better start saving now...

"Only a big iPod Touch"... right. So what from a marketing perspective is wrong with that? Any idea exactly how many iPods are out there, and how many millions and millions of people are already familiar with the interface? Not to mention 100,000 apps available for it from day one.

No camera and video iChat? This is the 1st gen device, they're here for the long haul. And that's before you factor in things like eBooks and micropayments for magazine subscriptions.

I too was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw the specs, but the more I think about it the more convinced I am this will be HUGE and that in 3 or 4 years the iPad will be as ubiquitous as iPods are today.

Totally agree with ya. All the tech-geeks here were just wanting something for themselves, which when pooling their wildest wet dreams, couldn't come up with a feature set that would please them all.

I'll be buying both my parents and my in-laws one... absolutely perfect for them.

As for me... maybe... but I'm a tech geek with a MBP and a MacPro monster. IF I have to do more presentations, or showing of concepts, that I decide not to print out before hand, this would do the trick nicely... and actually better than lugging the MBP (17").
  • Reply 464 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Jobs said it was the most important thing he had done.

As a non-brain dead CEO of a major company introducing a major new product, that is exactly what you'd expect him to say. If you're taken in by that sort of thing, I feel badly for you - you must get disappointed a lot in life.
  • Reply 465 of 785
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

No, they come unlocked - jailbroken refers to breaking the Apple App store monopoly - which is still firmly in place.
  • Reply 466 of 785
    Quote:

It might still be. It might redefine the way people interact with their electronics in the home. As it is now, so many people have desktop computers capable of doing so much more than what they actually use it for & whenever they do, the form factor automatically puts them into an "office/work" mode - sitting at a desk/table staring at an immobile screen. And try curling up on the couch with a laptop - not comfy or intimate at all.

As I was saying to someone earlier - the revolution here is not in what this thing does, but how it does it. The iPhone was ground-breaking for the same reason: people love their iPhones because of the way in which they interact with them and what that means to their end-user experience. This is something that the Apple folks have always grasped much better than anyone else.

Oh yeah - the Jobs quote was second/third hand at best, so take that for what it's worth.
  • Reply 467 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

Ummm...NO they don't. Steve said they were unlocked. Unlocking is not jailbreaking. You must jailbreak to unlock, but you don't have to unlock if you jailbreak.

Unlocking is removing the requirement to use the device on a specific carrier.

Jailbreaking is removing the artificial lockdown of features and ability to use non-Apple approved AppStore applications on your device.

Two different beasts altogether.

It appears this device, with its requirement to sync with iTunes, and the fact that it uses iTunes AppStore apps, is clearly NOT jailbroken out of the box.
  • Reply 468 of 785
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As a non-brain dead CEO of a major company introducing a major new product, that is exactly what you'd expect him to say. If you're taken in by that sort of thing, I feel badly for you - you must get disappointed a lot in life.

Ben said that in reply to the statement that Apple created none of the hype so your comment is not on point there (and way too pissy.)

He may have reasonably said it (I think he might be right) but even so, he did not say it publicly, others quoted him and then published so Ben is not right either...
  • Reply 469 of 785
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Just take the SIM from your iPhone and plug it into the 'Pad. No? Not compatible? Thanks Steve!

Then you'd have no phone. Smart move iGenius.
  • Reply 470 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Capitalize on what? There's no market for professional level image editing, vector based illustration, or page layout on the i-devices. I've never understood why people think that people who use design software want to use it on a tiny screen by poking at it with our fingers. Keyboard shortcuts (or functions mapped to Wacom buttons), dozens of palettes and layers, and image sizes and rendering that make a 8-core Mac Pro churn aren't very practical on an i-device.

Good one. Did ya catch the "pro designer" that posted, and wanted a "a device with 2000+ levels of pressure sensitivity so he could draw, design and do photo-retouching on the tablet". He's very disappointed and will not buy this piece of crap they call the iPad.

It's a connected entertainment and consumption device, just as I said it would be. The iWork apps are a definite bonus... but most people won't need/buy them... maybe Keynote.
  • Reply 471 of 785
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Didn't Sculley have the same sentiments about the Newton?
  • Reply 472 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

The numbers will work themselves out, all the other products on the market, your Archos, Joojoo's, we'll see which product takes off and moves the market, will it be the iPad? only time will tell. If there is any multimedia device I purchase, it will be the iPad. Nothing else compares.

The iPad is definitely comparable with Archos 9
  • Reply 473 of 785
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Crap or not, there are a zillion sites using the plugin, and it's the best option available for 2d based webgames or interactive presentations. The only reason uncle Steve doesn't want Flash, is that he knows that a lot of videos and games will be available, bypassing his AppStore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I watch a video in Flash and it uses 80% cpu and same video in Quicktime uses 30%. If you support Flash, you associate yourself with crap.

• Reply 474 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I spend quite a while typing while I surf, for example, what are you doing now?

I don't consider frequent participation in forums to be "surfing". I guess it is, technically, but I think of "surfing" as more of reading-ony of sites. I'm sure those who have better things to do with their time than we geeks who populate these forums will think that the iPad surfs just fine.

Quote:

Did Jobs actually say that? You heard him say that? Or was it just one of the rumors floating around the last week or two? I honestly don't know, do you?
  • Reply 475 of 785
    iPad? Who were the geniuses that came up with that name? Did they not know that millions of women refer to their tampons as pads? Does the iPad have wings? Can you swim in it? WTF!?
  • Reply 476 of 785
    Haven't used an Apple product since Apple ][e. I don't like proprietary and Apple has a hard time letting you use anything without their name on it, so I never bought any.

I was hoping this would be an overgrown iPod Touch and NOT a shrunk notebook. It is!!!

An open ebook format? very unApple, I like it. Unlocked 3G? very unApple, awesome.

This finally gives me the form factor I need for crusing the house reading email and trolling forums without all the other crap. If I want to do computer stuff I'll use my computer. This is not intended to be a sole computing device, it's a niche device.

Apple is getting my money again for the first time since 1983. :-)
  • Reply 477 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by perrin21 View Post

Have your say and share your thoughts. Would you buy and Ipad. Let us know here http://www.techreviewonlineforum.com...forum-f18.html

Nice try junior... go get your cookies and milk.
  • Reply 478 of 785
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Elegance is unimportant

Quality is irrelevant

Design is meaningless

Value is only definable in dollars

Simplicity equals mediocrity.

Yes, THANK GOD for the geniuses that have been so kind to inform me today of how stupid and wasteful this and all Apple products are!!!

I agree, excellent post.

My first reaction was 'ZOMG look at the bezel'... but only took 1 second to realize the importance of it.

Won't buy rev 1. Never buy rev 1 anything is my motto.

Missing a few things - most important being a usb port. I'd like to be able to connect my digital camera to it.

Was also hoping for iChat features.

By the time Rev 2 comes out... I'm sure there will be a growing ecosystem around it with apps and 3rd party items (oh someone please design a hand strap so you don't have to hold it).
  • Reply 479 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Like I said, I'll be buying one ASAP, but...

I really do wish that the iPad at least had:

1. a modern display aspect ratio (16x9 or16x10)

2. at least a front facing camera for video conferencing.

3. a media card reader of some sort

It's not like even the lowliest of (US 250.00) netbooks is lacking these modern computing device essentials.

Oh Well... That's Apple For Ya'

[/CENTER]

Please stop that idiotic posting with center-aligned text.
  • Reply 480 of 785
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Finally!

And so the tablet revolution begins . . .

wow

i was busy all day

and just peeked in here

WOW

another grand slam by apple

the desk top line dies and the ipad takes over

ipad ?? weird name ??? i wonder what we will really call it ??

peace