Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    I have to agree. I got iWork, hoping it would take the place of office and then had to get Office almost immediately after, and this was on a 24 inch iMac extreme.

Formulas in Numbers is like pulling your hair out, and simple cell formating and borders such as the "bottom line" (accountants will know what this is) are impossible from what I have noticed.

When attempting to do line spacing in Pages, I was again pulling my hair out. It was like Page Maker all over again, which I used to swear by, until I finally went full on into Word and never looked back.

I even tried open office and got it off my computer as soon as I could. I would have been more productive committing sepuku.

Don't get me wrong. I plan to get an iPad, when the second model comes out. I have always hated laptops because I have just never seen the point. A sit down computer you carry with you. Unless you absolutely need it for business and are traveling all the time, the laptop has never made sense to me, especially if you already had a computer, preferably with a NAS, set up at home.

the iPad makes sense and I do plan to get one, maybe two if my wife wants one also, but they need to fix their office replacement app to provide more than just gimmickry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.

• Reply 122 of 159
    That's a painful option. I have done it and it was more than painful to endure.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to build a classified balance sheet and then send it back to your work machine and have to go through all of your cells and tables and reformat everything?

That's essentially doing the work twice.

That's just unacceptable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes for major work it's best to go with a Excel machine as the formatting has issues transferring over and Microsoft can upset the apple cart before Apple has a chance to create a work around.

But for basic stuff it can be transferred over and tweaked, just like OpenOffice can also do Excel files.

• Reply 123 of 159
    Agreed on all points in this post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Almost nobody uses OpenOffice. I have it on my Mac, and it really sucks. I use Office much more happily when I need that. iWork for simpler stuff, and CS4 for really complex work.

Openoffice has under 1% of the office market. It's not something people consider, even though it's free.

• Reply 124 of 159
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is great news. It was really useless as a productivity tool without having the ability to output as an office product.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    This device can save my 11 year old sons back. His back-sack is now comparable to an army grunts due to all the books he has to bring home. All educational publishers in every language should, nay, have to make their textbooks, exercise book and note books in a format that will be available to every student for a fee far less expensive to school commissions. A parent would buy their child or children and that iPad would follow them throughout the years. Perhaps one in elementary, one in high-school and one for cegep, sorry Canadian terms. Children from less fortunate families could "rent" one or have them donated. The distribution would then be so widespread that the price would most certainly go way down to perhaps 100$ or 200$ a unit or less. This iPad is the perfect platform education had waited for to push education into this century.

Steve get on it. please!
  • Reply 126 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Now, now. You must admit, for an Old Guy?, Mossberg is pretty hip. Gives the rest of us hope. I imagine the NY Times is pretty unhip and stuck in their ways, by comparison.

Um... Mossberg writes for the WSJ, not the NYTimes, everybody.
  • Reply 127 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

When attempting to do line spacing in Pages, I was again pulling my hair out. It was like Page Maker all over again, which I used to swear by, until I finally went full on into Word and never looked back.

I have to wonder what you are doing wrong. Line spacing works fine for me.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Um... Mossberg writes for the WSJ, not the NYTimes, everybody.

Quite right. Sorry, brain fart!
  • Reply 129 of 159
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss

"I've been using Pages for all of my business word processing since version 1.0, and never had a "compatibility" problem."

What "type" of problems have you had?
  • Reply 130 of 159
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

And 10 hours will quickly become 5 after a year or two, if my experience with iPods is anything close to what will happen with the iPad.

But then it is time to buy a new one, which will be so great!
  • Reply 131 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

But then it is time to buy a new one, which will be so great!

No, you can send it in, there is quite an industry building up around changing iBatteries. Just google iPod or iPhone battery replacement. I know a number of people that have used iPodJuice with great results. I used milliamp.com for my daugther's ipod, not impressed, and apple for my iphone (really not impressed, had to send it back so total time without phone, going on 5 weeks and I am back to my blackberry which sux).
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

I have to agree. I got iWork, hoping it would take the place of office and then had to get Office almost immediately after, and this was on a 24 inch iMac extreme.

Formulas in Numbers is like pulling your hair out, and simple cell formating and borders such as the "bottom line" (accountants will know what this is) are impossible from what I have noticed.

Try doing an array formula, absolutely NO LOVE from iWork here!!!!!! Which, I find I use array formulas all the time. But the biggest loss, true pivot tables. We use pivot tables in Excel for nearly every aspect of the business from project management to managing our SPE lists.
  • Reply 133 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.

No Microsoft App is a Microsoft problem not a Apple problem. Apple solution is a $10 Pages which honestly Microsoft may never do.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The only time that would become a big deal is if you took it on a camping holiday or somewhere it's hard to find a charging point. But again, the reason you go on holiday is to get away from it all so not a huge problem.

Or MAYBE you go away to the cottage for a week (the cottage with no power) to just hike, swim and read books all week. Eh?! Ha ha But ya... for the most part... 10 hours should be fine. I guess someone might come out with a solar charger or something too. Stick it in the window while you're out hiking and swimming :P
  • Reply 135 of 159
    I can't believe that Mossberg began to quibble about the use of a LCD screen and battery life compared to the Kindle's e-ink. Soon after the iPad was announced, I checked the Amazon site to see if maybe they decided to pack up their Kindles and go home (they didn't - yet). The first thing I noticed was how old and ugly the Kindle now looks. And then I noticed the $489 price tag for the Kindle DX (which is .1 inches smaller than the iPad). My guess is that price is gonna start coming down pretty fast. Oh well, Amazon - you could always unload them on Overstocked.com.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Openoffice has under 1% of the office market. It's not something people consider, even though it's free.

Only 1%, man if I made a product that only had 1% market share in the entire market I would be pretty embarrassed
  • Reply 137 of 159
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's all about the display," the Apple co-founder said of battery life. "Our chips don't use hardly any power."

So that means they DO use a lot of power? I don't think Jobs actually said this like that. LOL
  • Reply 138 of 159
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I wasn't getting involved in any argument, much less changing it

I was merely providing anecdotal evidence that by and large it's the screen that is the biggest drain on the battery in this sort of device. And that I expect that to be a bigger issue in the iPad than in smaller devices, due to the relatively similar internal architectures being used for broadly similar tasks, yet massively large screen.

This is how they are getting 10 hours usage with the screen on, and 6 days with it off.

That's all.

We know that. jobs already said that to Mossberg in the video.
  • Reply 139 of 159
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Only 1%, man if I made a product that only had 1% market share in the entire market I would be pretty embarrassed

You have to remember that it's free. That really says something.
  • Reply 140 of 159
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

You have to remember that it's free. That really says something.

Which makes it virtually impossible to calculate its market share, and any one claiming to know the share is just guessing.