MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 41 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkbaron View Post

Im in the process of writing a developer training course on the Windows Phone 7 Series SDK so dont talk about what you dont know.

im sure you are, and if you were, you'd be under NDA which means you are 100% full of shit.

Thats like someone claiming they work for Apple and know whats behinds the scenes and actually post on a message board (lol)

I'll give you 0/10 for your trolling attempts sir.
  • Reply 42 of 450
    djgdjg Posts: 7member
    The Ui certainly looks cool, but it seems to me that it has been done a marketing team looking for dream pictures for their adverts, rather than folks concerned that the user get something interactive, readable and usable. In my experience phone interactions need to be readable and usable first and cool-looking second.

But more importantly it does not seem suited to the concept of Apps at all - where would I find my BA flights app, or Yelp, or Amazon Kindle? Where would Spotify or Rhapsody live? I don't feel like going out of my way to design a non-game app if it has no home on WinMo7.

And if the code base is WinMo6.5, then porting apps will be easy, but the user experience once past the home screen will be miserable. If the code base is all new, and the UI architecture is all new, then that is great for the user experience, but will anyone ant to write apps for it (if they are not backwards compatible)?
  • Reply 43 of 450
    Hey where's the stylus Bill?! I thought it was the way to go?

How about the keyboard Mr. Ballmer, I thought you found it funny that the iPhone did not have a keyboard?
  • Reply 44 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Im in the process of writing a developer training course on the Windows Phone 7 Series SDK so dont talk about what you dont know.

If it's based on old code, why do none of the Windows Mobile 5.x or 6.x applications work on the phone?
  • Reply 45 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

First off, I can't stand Microsoft and their demise can't come quickly enough for me.

Unfortunately though, I really like this.

I don't understand why Apple has resisted grouping activities on the iPhone user interface. I'm sick of searching through pages and pages for apps (and Spotlight searching is slow and cumbersome).

I hope that the 4.0 upgrade really is an A+ effort and completely overhauls what's now looking like a tired interface, one that was a fantastic (mindblowing) first effort, but needs to adapt to the changing role of the device.

MS has had the advantage of starting from scratch and addressing issues that probably were not on the Apple radar 4 years ago (countless apps for one). Apple needs to, and I'm sure will, do the same.

What he said.

I love the iPhone. But Apple would benefit from some stiff competition.

C.
  • Reply 46 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Me to! Me to! Me to!

Do you mean Apple is "me, too"?

Last I remember Windows CE/Windows Mobile has a longer history than any Apple device besides the Newton.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Gotta hand it to Microsoft, after 7 tries at something they seem to come up with something that almost catches up to the status quo that the rest of us have been enjoying for awhile...

Enjoy your multitasking on the iPhone/iPad much...oh wait!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

... of course, it's not scheduled to be released until October. That'll be a major iPhoneOS version of software, a new iPhone hardware platform, and probably a couple of Android and WebOS releases from now.

They have WinMo 6.5.3 with many of the features of these OS on the market right now (heck, it can even do FLASH!). And still WinMo got a few features on its own like strong Exchange and enterprise support.

The only thing holding WinMo right now is the UI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Looks interesting, wonder if it has wireless outlook sync for calendars - just trying to find alternatives so I don't have to give my iPhone 3G to the missus in the summer when I get a new one...

I'm not too sure about the "doesn't quite fit" ratio of a lot of the stuff shown, but visually it has a very unique style. I think they are making a mistake tagging it "Win 7" when I imagine it shares precisely zero code base with Win 7, and using the Zune look and feel without giving it a namecheck seems to be burying the brand somewhat. Windows 7 Z-Series even would help to tie the brans together better.

I'll play with one when they are in stores.

All MSFT mobile OS are based on a common lower denominator aka Windows CE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

If Microsoft was thinking more clearly, they should position the Windows mobile platform as an extension to the XBox 360. Make their phone more of a gamers phone. Apple wouldn't even be able to compete with that and Microsoft would benefit greatly from that since their user base is already familiar with XBox.

Microsoft needs to Think Different, and lose the notion of direct competition with Apple.

Theirs so much they can do with Win mob but they cripple it, with their LETS COPY APPLE mantra

Looks like WinMo 7 phones will be the portable xbox that everyone wanted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Awesome!

Now they're only a year behind.

And Apple is like 10 years behind. Hope they bring multitasking this summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Where does that leave Apple missing features like Multi-Tasking...

inb4 apple crybabies try to use mail as an example.

man...they will get multitasking this year...and claim Apple invented it with a "think different" approch to it while everyone has been doing it since at least 10 years ago before the Cupertino "Me, too" company.

Quote:

But more importantly it does not seem suited to the concept of Apps at all - where would I find my BA flights app, or Yelp, or Amazon Kindle? Where would Spotify or Rhapsody live? I don't feel like going out of my way to design a non-game app if it has no home on WinMo7.

Find those in the "APPS" menu or "pinned" to your homescreen(s).
  • Reply 47 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

What he said.

I love the iPhone. But Apple would benefit from some stiff competition.

C.

It's a shame that this isn't it.
  • Reply 48 of 450
    my big worry about series 7 is the assumtions made in the design. What if you dont use facebook or windows live. What if you use a PS3 and dont use xbox live. These major features of the phone then become redundant.

What if you use facebook but dont have ay friends!
  • Reply 49 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Where does that leave Apple missing features like Multi-Tasking...

inb4 apple crybabies try to use mail as an example.

We don't even know how you'll build apps for this thing (details , let alone if you'll be able to run multiple third party apps in the background (or "multi-tasking" as it is commonly called, even though that's not what it means in the purest technical sense).
  • Reply 50 of 450
    For the first time in history, a product coming from Microsoft actually looks very beautiful, probably even better than those of all their competitors. To be seen whether the ergonomics of this software follow the excellent design.
  • Reply 51 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

multitasking, etc.

Still not a factor. Until Apple implements it.

That's the way it works. Apple has the total package - the ideal combination of hardware + software. The absence of any single feature cannot compromise the whole.

If Apple implements multitasking, it'll be just another sprinkle on the Apple sundae.
  • Reply 52 of 450
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I wouldn't be so quick to be dismissive. This is the same thing we complain that people do to Apple, they dismiss a product without giving it a fair chance.

I hope this works out well for MS. Apple needs competition to keep them innovating.

I'm sure next year MS will realize they need to use Windows Phone 7 for tablets.
  • Reply 53 of 450
    Microsoft is doing what they always do: trying to foist high-minded concepts on users who just want to get stuff done. Why should I have to grok the idea of "hubs" just to look at pictures or use Facebook? The iPhone interface is so much simpler: there's a button for each thing you can do.

This is just more evidence of Microsoft thinking like programmers rather than users.
  • Reply 54 of 450
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I think people are missing the major upside to this announcement for Apple fans (and perhaps the significance of the complete re-deisgn of the OS).

Windows Mobile is dead. Lanced through the heart on the field of battle by Apple's iPhone. Whatever "7 Series" turns out to be, it's certainly not Windows Mobile.

Microsoft just admitted that their flagship product in mobile devices that they've been refining for over a decade, is a failed attempt and have thrown the entire thing out.

That's a huge win for Apple and iPhone.
  • Reply 55 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Still not a factor. Until Apple implements it.

That's the way it works. Apple has the total package - the ideal combination of hardware + software. The absence of any single feature cannot compromise the whole.

If Apple implements multitasking, it'll be just another sprinkle on the Apple sundae.

Multitasking is far from a sprinkle. You talk about MS being a year behind, not having multitasking is about five years behind.
  • Reply 56 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

my big worry about series 7 is the assumtions made in the design. What if you dont use facebook or windows live. What if you use a PS3 and dont use xbox live. These major features of the phone then become redundant.

What if you use facebook but dont have ay friends!

If you had seen the live press conference, you would have seen that the UI is highly customizable. If you don't want a tile on the home screen, you can easily remove and it replace it with something that you prefer. Also, the existing tiles can all be edited/customized to your liking.
  • Reply 57 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yep. Exactly what I wanted.. Bing search button on my phone

Unless, of course, Apple adopts Bing as it's default search engine and then you will argue why it's better than Google.
  • Reply 58 of 450
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Microsoft - copying, but trying not to be seen to copy.

Trying to achieve good taste.

Trying to make it just work.

Nope. Nope. And nope again.

Stick with spreadsheets Redmond.
  • Reply 59 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think people are missing the major upside to this announcement for Apple fans (and perhaps the significance of the complete re-deisgn of the OS).

Windows Mobile is dead. Lanced through the heart on the field of battle by Apple's iPhone. Whatever "7 Series" turns out to be, it's certainly not Windows Mobile.

Microsoft just admitted that their flagship product in mobile devices that they've been refining for over a decade, is a failed attempt and have thrown the entire thing out.

That's a huge win for Apple and iPhone.

Even if this is true it really isn't a hugh win for Apple seeing Google has simple taken over Microsofts place.
  • Reply 60 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Multitasking is far from a sprinkle. You talk about MS being a year behind, not having multitasking is about five years behind.

Precisely.

You cant debate logically with Apple Fans. There is always some exception that allows Apple to get away with BS moves but they are quick to rain down on anyone else (extreme fanboyism at its worst) missing something.