Apple patent filing for improved lenses shows forward facing camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Why would a camera that faces the user be called "forward facing." Is the camera on the back of my iPhone "backward facing?" The term should be something like "user-facing" to be more clear.

And every monitor and every laptop Apple sells includes a user-facing camera. When it's feasible to add one to the iPhone/iPad/etc--and provide the expected functionality--Apple will no doubt do so.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Nothing about front-facing cameras can be inferred from this patent filing. It's just for illustrative purposes to describe the functionality of the color correction techniques.

Apple files lots of patents, many of which never get taken to market.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Notion Ink's latest demo has a swivel camera that can face the user, face away the screen or anywhere with that 180° rotation. I don't see Apple offering moving parts but Notion has done some good things with their tablet device. They are also using a huge, backside multi-touch trackpad for maneuvering when holding the device without impeding the front touch screen, thumb-accesible keyboard and menus while holding, and a much thinner bezel than the Apple iPad. These are few of the things I've wanted and things Apple has submitted patents for. It's the closest true competitor to the iPad I've seen.

Didn't Apple once consider a hidden camera, actually behind the screen so video conferencing would show eyes looking at each other rather than above like a local TV ad actor reading a prompt - or am i dreaming here? I was kind of hoping it was a secret feature not yet disclosed by SJ in the iPad
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Didn't Apple once consider a hidden camera, actually behind the screen so video conferencing would show eyes looking at each other rather than above like a local TV ad actor reading a prompt - or am i dreaming here? I was kind of hoping it was a secret feature not yet disclosed by SJ in the iPad

You are probably recalling some commenter's otherworldly wet dream.

There are some very expensive engineering hurdles to seamlessly place a color-accurate autofocusing camera module behind a certain part of the screen, costs that aren't currently likely in a consumer-grade electronics device.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They did have a patent on that. I'm not sure that is viable tech yet. I'd think that such a groundbreaking technology would have been touted at the special event. From a marketing perspective that is gold.

You reminded me of another patent they had. This was a smaller display behind the display that would use considerably less power and show your notifications constantly without using significant power. That would be great to have. My biggest wish for the next iPhone OS is robust notification system Ã* la Android and WebOS. That is one thing they mostly got right.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Any chance Apple will include the forward facing camera when the iPad ships??? I am really hoping for it, as it will mean the difference between me buying 5 or just 1 iPad.

Same here. If it will have a camera and do Skype, I'll get one for everyone in my family in Europe. I bought a few of them Macbooks, but iPads would be better for them (less chance of messing with the system folders and erasing stuff - it's happened too often!).

Camera = 6 sales

No camera = 1 sale
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:

You reminded me of another patent they had. This was a smaller display behind the display that would use considerably less power and show your notifications constantly without using significant power. That would be great to have. My biggest wish for the next iPhone OS is robust notification system Ã* la Android and WebOS. That is one thing they mostly got right.

I remember this patent and was really hoping the iPad would be announced with some display like this only with e-ink as the low power display for ebooks and an LCD display in front for everything else.

...speaking of wet dreams...
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

it's a real patent...
    PS: Here is also a patent for a much better notification system. I will be surprised if this doesn't arrive with 4.0...
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

There are some very expensive engineering hurdles to seamlessly place a color-accurate autofocusing camera module behind a certain part of the screen, costs that aren't currently likely in a consumer-grade electronics device.

Actually the 'camera in the screen' is an apple patent that was posted here. But w/e
  • Reply 30 of 66
    does anyone else notice the button pad at the bottom? Guess this is a really old drawing
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

it's a real patent...
    PS: Here is also a patent for a much better notification system. I will be surprised if this doesn't arrive with 4.0...

Please! My biggest complaint about the iPhone is the horrible notification system. Ever get an SMS message while on a phone call and then try to end the call? It makes my head want to explode.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Please! My biggest complaint about the iPhone is the horrible notification system. Ever get an SMS message while on a phone call and then try to end the call? It makes my head want to explode.

That is annoying. It would be great if the popover still allowed the End Call button to still be active.

My biggest issue is the lack of notification history. If you use the Push Notification Service and close out the popover before reading it you have to go to each one of your PNS apps to hunt down the message you missed.I
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

That is annoying. It would be great if the popover still allowed the End Call button to still be active.

My biggest issue is the lack of notification history. If you use the Push Notification Service and close out the popover before reading it you have to go to each one of your PNS apps to hunt down the message you missed.I

Also as someone who has multiple email accounts, push notification on multiple subfolders, and is bad at keeping their inboxes clean, it drives me nuts getting a new mail notification and trying to figure out where the hell the new message is.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Also as someone who has multiple email accounts, push notification on multiple subfolders, and is bad at keeping their inboxes clean, it drives me nuts getting a new mail notification and trying to figure out where the hell the new message is.

Concatenating the Mail accounts would be nice. Right now, i just forward my Gmail to MobileMe so I can get good Push and have all my mail in one place. Even going in and out of 2 accounts was a chore, I can't imagine business users who have more than that to deal with.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    i find the 'home button' more interesting.you think the iphone/pad will incorporate a more functional and yet small ipod type button control. ie w ff/rew/play/pause always available wo having to switch back to the player?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

Apple's proposed fix would use acquired "video images of colored light" and would measure a light intensity of response of the camera to that colored light.

It looks simular to obvious auto white balance function built-in in any modern digital camera
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

If the camera doesn't move then handling the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, with a front facing camera would be difficult to get a steady picture.

Now I'm sure Apple is working on a solution in the software+hardware that will effectively stabilize an image to compensate for jittery hands when holding a 1.5lb device and make the output look good. Would also like to see some sort of on-screen multitouch controls to position the camera to compensate for off angle use. It's unlikely that the camera will always, if ever, be perfectly perpendicular to the user's face. Maybe even some face locking that moves with the person's movements provided they stay within a certain frame.

I don't think so... Apple would do anything to avoid moving parts, and I totally agree with Apple on this... moving parts are so 1990's. And they break.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

If the camera doesn't move then handling the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, with a front facing camera would be difficult to get a steady picture.

Now I'm sure Apple is working on a solution in the software+hardware that will effectively stabilize an image to compensate for jittery hands when holding a 1.5lb device and make the output look good. Would also like to see some sort of on-screen multitouch controls to position the camera to compensate for off angle use. It's unlikely that the camera will always, if ever, be perfectly perpendicular to the user's face. Maybe even some face locking that moves with the person's movements provided they stay within a certain frame.

That exists, though HP's implementation is flawed, apparently they didn't think to test it on black people.

I think it could offer a local preview so you can see what the slate is sending.

Quote:

local TV ad actor looking above to read? Wow, that's cheap. Teleprompter rigs for cameras can be had for relatively cheap, the camera sits behind the teleprompter reflector plate. However, that's not practical for portable devices.

Quote:

I don't think it can be mass produced right now, even lab production seems tenuous. I don't think it needs to autofocus though, but even removing that, it's not an easy task. The patent people are talking about is basically a compound eye, each camera is the size of a pixel, several of them in a grid at a 10pixel spacing. The fab process can't be easy, and there is a lot of processing, probably be a few years before a hand held device has the power to stitch together 16 video feeds in real time. Then you still have "dark" spots on the screen because you knocked out pixels for the cameras.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:

Totally, notifications and handling are the biggest thing wrong with the iPhone. I'd really like to see them fixed in the next version else I'm going to think Apple hasn't listened to its users at all.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Concatenating the Mail accounts would be nice. Right now, i just forward my Gmail to MobileMe so I can get good Push and have all my mail in one place. Even going in and out of 2 accounts was a chore, I can't imagine business users who have more than that to deal with.

So do you do the forward in Gmail or via MobileMe? When you reply to an email using the iPhone does it use the Gmail or MM address?