Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED

Comments

• Reply 141 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I wonder how the Samsung Wave would fare, compared next to an iPhone?

I think Samsung make the colours a bit too punchy and should include user adjustable settings for contrast and saturation. But that said, I will bet 99 people out of 100 would prefer the Wave display over the iPhone.

Actually, in your picture examples, I'd prefer the Wave over both the iPhone and the Nexus One. Were the brightness settings the same? The N1 photo looks too dark for my tastes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pompon View Post

hence an alternative title would also be valid: "Motorola Droid LCD trumps iPhone LCD"

LOL. Like that's ever going to happen on an Apple-related website.
  • Reply 142 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

LOL. Like that's ever going to happen on an Apple-related website.

This is a pro-Apple site, sometimes unabashedly so. I personally don't like some of the excessive cheerleading that one pundit here seems to do.

Also, that test hasn't been posted yet either. The posted test article wasn't about the Droid. Once posted, at least there will be sites that pick it up. I bet a lot of those sites wouldn't pick up this particular story.
  • Reply 143 of 187
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This is a pro-Apple site, sometimes unabashedly so. I personally don't like some of the excessive cheerleading that one pundit here seems to do.

Also, that test hasn't been posted yet either. The posted test article wasn't about the Droid. Once posted, at least there will be sites that pick it up. I bet a lot of those sites wouldn't pick up this particular story.

But will you correct the statements that can be proven false?
  • Reply 144 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

But will you correct the statements that can be proven false?

Unfortunately, I can't, I don't have any control over the main site. But the author's email is linked at the top of the article, you can make your case to him.
  • Reply 145 of 187
    Quote:

Unfortunately, I can't, I don't have any control over the main site. But the author's email is linked at the top of the article, you can make your case to him.

No, no, I'm talking about your site, not Dr. Soneira site.
  • Reply 146 of 187
    Quote:

No, no, I'm talking about your site, not Dr. Soneira site.

That's what I meant. I have no control over www.appleinsider.com, what I called "the main site". My controls are only for forums.appleinsider.com. If you think there is something wrong with the article, please go to the top of the article and click the author's name and email him.
  • Reply 147 of 187
    Quote:

That's what I meant. I have no control over www.appleinsider.com, what I called "the main site". My controls are only for forums.appleinsider.com. If you think there is something wrong with the article, please go to the top of the article and click the author's name and email him.

aps, thanks
  • Reply 148 of 187
    Quote:

This is one of the best Apple related discussion forums, but you subtly acknowledge that my point to the other guy is correct.

You're going to have to go to non-Apple sites to find coverage that isn't generally slanted towards Apple products being the top of the heap, and that's because they generally are, but in the cellphone world, after 30 months or so of being the top of the heap, Apple's product is now number 2 at best, and arguably number 3 or lower. HTC, at the least, and perhaps others, including Motorola, have already released and also shown at the mobile conference in Spain, phones that far surpass the currently released and announced iPhone, regardless of any flawed testing done by a disgruntled Nexus One owner who tested one application only to determine that the overall product was inferior.

iPhone 4 is sure to wow, but sadly, in light of the totally-gone-off-the-deep-end censorship of apps Apple's now taken with the banning of bikini apps (and others), Apple's phone solution isn't likely to get my attention again unless it's years ahead of the competition hardware-wise and they lighten up on the App Store rejections/bans. We would never put up with this on our Macs, why would we put up with it on our phones? But I digress and have gone a bit off topic there.

EDIT: If Apple is actually going to allow more content in the store with this new "explicit" category, as indicated in this article, I may have to rethink my position on them.

At any rate, doesn't Apple seem more and more like the wrong side of the famous 1984 commercial these days with the iPhone...?
  • Reply 149 of 187
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Actually, in your picture examples, I'd prefer the Wave over both the iPhone and the Nexus One. Were the brightness settings the same? The N1 photo looks too dark for my tastes.

So would I, that is partly why I use a Samsung Jet in preference to an iPhone. The main reason being the camera.

I got that photo here, where there are plenty more comparison photos of the Wave vs several other phones:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/02/1...samsung-s8000/

They do not say what the brightness settings were, but I would guess they probably set each phone to its maximum brightness
  • Reply 150 of 187
    Quote:

This is one of the best Apple related discussion forums, but you subtly acknowledge that my point to the other guy is correct.

The thing is, I don't know, I haven't been paying attention to this discussion as I might normally do. I'm not even sure what the complaint in question is. I do know I don't want to be a go-between the author and a member as to the merits of the argument.
  • Reply 151 of 187
    Quote:

I apologize for not have reading the part about resolution but Dr. Soneira is still wrong about the 16bit output, the image just above my post can prove that it outputs 24bits.

And the part about the browser having different scaling is shocking, if you have a 16bit display, you can make different scalings and different ditherings, you still have a 16bit output and is no way you can show the RGB example without banding.

And in Camera application, 3rd party pictures viewers and Browser you can view the examples used like the iPhones ones, without banding and showing that its output it's 24bit.

I don't know why Dr. Soneira can agree with that and say what he is saying.

P.S. I don't have any agenda

Today's Email from Dr. Soneira, author of the article:

On Feb 24, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Raymond Soneira wrote:

Quote:

FYI... post if you like...

I've rolled out the data and discussion for the Color Gamut and Intensity Scale for the Nexus One and iPhone. See Figures 2 and 3 - they are super interesting!

http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_3GS_ShootOut.htm

---> I've also added an update about the brouhaha regarding the Nexus One browser not showing the banding: Here is the excerpt:

Color Depth and Granularity Update: People using the browser on the Nexus One report that they don't see the banding shown in Figure 1 for the NASA Photo ?Sunset on Mars? from within the browser, but Gizmodo shows screen shots of Intensity Scale Ramps using the Nexus One Browser that duplicates and confirms the 16-bit color depth and banding shown in Figure 1. This definitively establishes that the Nexus One has a 16-bit display interface. It sounds like the Nexus One browser is using its own internal scaling together with a dithering algorithm that seems to be able to smooth over false contouring in some cases. But it?s clear that the Nexus One display system is using only 16-bit color and that is absolutely shocking!

It remains to be seen whether the 16-bit color is a hardware limitation or a software configuration that can be upgraded and fixed. My guess is that it looks like a hardware limitation because it is possible to see image flicker in dark test patterns, which means that the display is using low frequency Pulse Width Modulation. High frequency PWM is needed to produce the 256 levels needed for 24-bit color.

• Reply 152 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Today's Email from Dr. Soneira, author of the article:

On Feb 24, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Raymond Soneira wrote:

In Spanish it's said "sostenella y no enmendalla" when someone doesn't want to acknowledge he is mistaken and, against all proves, he insist in the same mistake.

Please, as you have direct contact, tell him to copy the images in DCIM folder of the SD and then he can open them in Camera applications. After that, how he can explain the results?

And he can take an screenshot and he will see the banding, another prove that it's a software problem
  • Reply 153 of 187
    Quote:

In Spanish it's said "sostenella y no enmendalla" when someone doesn't want to acknowledge he is mistaken and, against all proves, he insist in the same mistake.

Please, as you have direct contact, tell him to copy the images in DCIM folder of the SD and then he can open them in Camera applications. After that, how he can explain the results?

There is ample evidence on this site in support of your first paragraph.

I'd suggest you initiate your own direct contact with Dr. Soneira for issue resolution.
  • Reply 154 of 187
    Quote:

There is ample evidence on this site in support of your first paragraph.

No, in his site there is not ample evidence, he is running in circles to maintain his position.

Thanks for the email address, if you want you can edit it
  • Reply 155 of 187
    Quote:

No, in his site there is not ample evidence, he is running in circles to maintain his position.

If you will kindly and carefully re-read the first sentence of my previous posting, then your response in the above quote, you will get an example of miscommunication. If left unchecked, and amplified by the nuances of language, blinders of emotions, and personal agendas, it can bring to full bloom sostenella y no enmendalla.
  • Reply 156 of 187
    Quote:

The thing is, I don't know, I haven't been paying attention to this discussion as I might normally do. I'm not even sure what the complaint in question is. I do know I don't want to be a go-between the author and a member as to the merits of the argument.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't be a go-between. I sure wasn't asking you to.

In a nutshell, the complaint here is that a lot of folks don't think the guy who did the test performed a valid test. Debate and fanboyism (on all sides) follows. Rinse and repeat. ;-)
  • Reply 157 of 187
    Quote:

If you will kindly and carefully re-read the first sentence of my previous posting, then your response in the above quote, you will get an example of miscommunication. If left unchecked, and amplified by the nuances of language, blinders of emotions, and personal agendas, it can bring to full bloom sostenella y no enmendalla.

Can I edit my post to youthat you're referring after blaming myself for such incompetence reading?

And I won't "sostenella", you're totally right and I'm totally wrong saying what I said before.

P.S. Message sent to Dr. Soneira
  • Reply 158 of 187
    Quote:

Can I edit my post to youthat you're referring after blaming myself for such incompetence reading?

And I won't "sostenella", you're totally right and I'm totally wrong saying what I said before.

P.S. Message sent to Dr. Soneira

Consider it done, Gwydion.
  • Reply 159 of 187
    I love how AppleInsider posts this and leaves it with no update after the test has been more than invalidated. I guess serious I guess this site will use whatever it can, including untrue findings, to validate their phone. lol

Even Giz updated their article... and they are super-fanboys of the iPhone.

http://gizmodo.com/5477320/the-nexus...secret-updated

And... have you seen the N1's display? I don't care if it shows 4 colors, it's flat gorgeous. I also typically reserve my HD picture viewing for a screen larger than 4 inches anyway...

The N1's screen is fine, and just as capable of rendering color as any other smartphone.
  • Reply 160 of 187
    Quote:

Consider it done, Gwydion.

And now something totallyu diferent, an off topic.

Talking about "sostenella", I was shocked about all the critizism about droped call in the iPhone and blaming it for them.

Here in Spain and in Italy I don't know any case of dropped calls in any carrier, so the evidence was against AT&T but people stills balmes the phone, not the carrier.

I didn't have any droped call with myt 3G in any of the four carriers I have used