Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED

Comments

• Reply 81 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Seriously now... Who with a Ph.D. would spend their time doing this so called "scientific" comparison???

What do you mean by this? That people with a Ph.D. aren't allowed to pursue their interests?

Did you read the source article?
  • Reply 82 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

Luckily, I don't think there are too many professional photographers editing photos on their phones.

I don't see why any of this really matters.

You're going to be proved wrong, Apple have a patent on an Iphone to Digital Camera Cable, which is obviously going to be a smash hit with the iPad (ask any Professional Photographer).

see: patentlyapple.com
  • Reply 83 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

It must be true. The article says it is scientific. And the guy who did it is a Doctor.

No, he's a 'PhD', which as you know stands for 'piled higher and deeper.' Just like the wisdom in your posts. Keep them missives comin', buddy!
  • Reply 84 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, he's a 'PhD', which as you know stands for 'piled higher and deeper.' Just like the wisdom in your posts. Keep them missives comin', buddy!

I believe he was going for a little humor, at least it had me laughing out loud....a la 'Spies Like Us'.
  • Reply 85 of 187
    Complete lies.

First notice how the two Mars photos are not completly the same. If they are the same, the are zoomed in at slightly different locations. That is hardly scientific. As you would want the exact same photos.

Second, it is not good science to have a preconceived notion. The 'scientist' stated he felt the Nexus was buggy and the iPhone is great. It seems a fair scientific aproach would compare the screens and nothing but the screens. As no matter if the Nexus One is buggy or not, it has no bearing on the quality of the screen.

But that brings me to my 3rd point, that it all could be software related. Gizmodo has reported that 3rd party browsers and photos apps don't seem to have this problem. So maybe Google decided for some reason to display photos a certain way and for most task that works great.

Which brings me to my last point, that again this 'scientist' has preconcieved notions that OLED is 'bad' technology and needs more years to perfect. Well if he wanted to test LCD vs OLED, then be my guest. Get a large sampling of panels and hook them up to the same software/hardware and put out images and see how they handle them. I think in all cases as someone mention before, software and even hardware should be taken out of the equation and the panels tested that way.

Now, they don't provide the NASA Mars picture for reference, but I did load the site in my Zune HD browser and could see the difference between the pictures comporable to what I see on Macbook Alu display. So, in this case the OLED display on the Zune HD appears to be able to show that picture properly. So I am still confused about why OLED is so bad. And yes Sunlight is a negative, but its not like in direct sunlight that I have ideal conditions on any device I have had the chance to play with (Zune HD, iPhone 2G, MacBook, HTC Touch Pro 2)
  • Reply 86 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

I seriously doubt the next iPhone will sport OLED screen. Apple seems to be adopting all its products with IPS screen after the iMac got IPS last year and more recently iPad so I wager we would see an updated MacBook Pro with IPS screen in the near future and a new iPhone with IPS screen in June.

wait, IPS could be a disadvantage on the iPhone. Wide viewing angle isn't welcome for many phone-users due to privacy issues.
  • Reply 87 of 187
    I just want iPhone 4 to have a A4 like processor and a OLED screen for the enhanced battery life. I could care less about the picture quality. All the OLED's I've seen though look way better than the iPhone screen.
  • Reply 88 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

It must be true. The article says it is scientific. And the guy who did it is a Doctor.

Quote:

Dr. Raymond Soneira - Founder, President and CEO of DisplayMate Technologies Corporation

Dr. Raymond Soneira The developer of DisplayMate is an internationally recognized research scientist with a distinguished career that spans physics, computer science, and television system design. Dr. Soneira obtained his Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University, spent 5 years as a Long-Term Member of the world famous Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, another 5 years as a Principal Investigator in the Computer Systems Research Laboratory at AT&T Bell Laboratories, and has designed, tested, and installed color television broadcast equipment for the CBS Television Network Engineering and Development Department. He has authored over 35 research articles in scientific journals in physics and computer science, including Scientific American.

Dr. Soneira's background covers a wide spectrum of internationally recognized leading edge research in electronics, optics, applied mathematics, theoretical and experimental physics. For example: he has designed color television broadcast equipment for the CBS Television Network, built a computer mathematical model of a television system for optimizing the camera to receiver performance and accuracy of the optics and electronics for CBS, a leader of a team at Bell Labs Research that built intelligent autonomous mobile robots, designed an all-electronic 360 degree viewing angle imaging laser range finder using the parallax principle, did the mathematical foundation of the fine guidance system for the Hubble Space Telescope, built the accepted standard model of the Milky Way Galaxy (which is named after him), built theoretical high redshift cosmological and stellar models for the Hubble Space Telescope, has done fundamental work on the analysis of clustering and super-clustering of galaxies, plus work in Relativity and nuclear physics.

Dr. Soneira works with the 200+ publications that use DisplayMate for editorial testing and lab reviews of video hardware. He is a Contributing Editor to Widescreen Review Magazine, and has written numerous articles for Consumer, Professional, display marketing, and Research publications, such as Widescreen Review Magazine, PC Magazine, Ziff-Davis' ExtremeTech, CNET, Presentations Magazine, Maximum PC Magazine, the Society for Information Display's Information Display Magazine, and a large number of display marketing and Professional Audio-Video publications. His articles have been translated into several languages and have appeared in over 30 publications worldwide.

Yes Genius, compared to you, this "doctor" does appear highly questionable, doesn't he?
  • Reply 89 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I just want iPhone 4 to have a A4 like processor and a OLED screen for the enhanced battery life. I could care less about the picture quality. All the OLED's I've seen though look way better than the iPhone screen.

I have yet to see any evidence that an AMOLED display is better on power than an LCD display with an LED backlight for typical usage on such a small display.
  • Reply 90 of 187
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Complete lies.

First notice how the two Mars photos are not completly the same. If they are the same, the are zoomed in at slightly different locations. That is hardly scientific. As you would want the exact same photos.

Second, it is not good science to have a preconceived notion. The 'scientist' stated he felt the Nexus was buggy and the iPhone is great. It seems a fair scientific aproach would compare the screens and nothing but the screens. As no matter if the Nexus One is buggy or not, it has no bearing on the quality of the screen.

But that brings me to my 3rd point, that it all could be software related. Gizmodo has reported that 3rd party browsers and photos apps don't seem to have this problem. So maybe Google decided for some reason to display photos a certain way and for most task that works great.

Which brings me to my last point, that again this 'scientist' has preconcieved notions that OLED is 'bad' technology and needs more years to perfect. Well if he wanted to test LCD vs OLED, then be my guest. Get a large sampling of panels and hook them up to the same software/hardware and put out images and see how they handle them. I think in all cases as someone mention before, software and even hardware should be taken out of the equation and the panels tested that way.

Now, they don't provide the NASA Mars picture for reference, but I did load the site in my Zune HD browser and could see the difference between the pictures comporable to what I see on Macbook Alu display. So, in this case the OLED display on the Zune HD appears to be able to show that picture properly. So I am still confused about why OLED is so bad. And yes Sunlight is a negative, but its not like in direct sunlight that I have ideal conditions on any device I have had the chance to play with (Zune HD, iPhone 2G, MacBook, HTC Touch Pro 2)

Take heart. The Sun will rise tomorrow--somewhere.
  • Reply 91 of 187
    So no OLED in next gen iPhone \

I don't blame Apple, it seems OLED still has some rough edges.
  • Reply 92 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Unfortunately Apple thinks 4:3 is the wave of the future. They advertise how great video and movie playback is on the iPad, yet they slap it with a 4:3 screen. Keep dreaming.

This is a non-issue. 4:3 is roughly the size of a sheet of paper. 16:9 is roughly the size of Legal Paper. I have rarely seen a book that is Legal paper size or anywhere close to 16:9 ratio. The ipad is meant for reading and meant to be held comfortably. Everything else is perks.

Besides, not even BluRay discs are all in 16:9. I have a disc that states (1080p resolution, 16:9), yet native playback on my bluray player shows black bars on the top and bottom.
  • Reply 93 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

It does not surprise me from everything I've read that its better. OLED will be better at some point - I think its just not there yet (witness: no one can make one for a 19" TV for less than the price of a house.)

Don't draw the wrong conclusion here. The Nexus One phone's OLED display is inferior to the 3GS's LCD display. That DOES NOT MEAN that all small OLED displays are the same. I guarantee this was a cost issue, and if it were not as important, they could have used a far better OLED display.

Obviously there are a few different types of OLED displays, but if anyone is doubting the technology itself, take a look at the 10.1" Sony OLED TV. It's picture is incredible (and it's OLD)
  • Reply 94 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

The ipad is meant for reading and meant to be held comfortably. Everything else is perks.

In the context of the topic, LCDs don't necessarily facilitate comfortable long-term reading like an e-ink display would.

I'm starting to think they had decided to make the iPad a last minute competitor in the e-reader market. Tablet first, book reader second.
  • Reply 95 of 187
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    HTC have always been bad at video drivers, they released a winmo phone a few years ago with disabled ATI graphics hardware because they couldn't optimise the drivers.

The HTC Magic a Google Experience phone has a 65k display.

So does anyone know if Windows Mobile 7 has moved beyond the 65 thousand colour displays of previous versions of WinMo?

The iPhone has a 16 million colour display.
  • Reply 96 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

How do you propose that I use the display without the phone?

My point is that his testing method does not prove which display is best, just which software + phone hardware + display combination is best.

When a normal display (e.g. TV or computer monitor) review is done, the various displays are compared while connected to the same video source. In this case the 2 displays are connected to completely different sources.

This makes it kind of hard to conclude which display is best, just which total package is best.
  • Reply 97 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

I think in all cases as someone mention before, software and even hardware should be taken out of the equation and the panels tested that way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=637063&page=3
  • Reply 98 of 187
    Well, all that seems unexpected only to someone who does not really sit in the front row while observing the modern technology.

But the purpose of the article is crystal clear. iPhone 2010 is probably going to sport OLED display.
  • Reply 99 of 187
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyi/s...7623251786252/

He discovered much the same thing. Everybody fixates on the hardware, but the software of a digital camera is as important. Apple's software does a much better job in many ways. If you're looking for a reliable camera that adjusts to different lighting conditions, it's the iPhone.
  • Reply 100 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There are two shades: "iPhone" and "not iPhone."

Do you ever stop and notice how much of a ridiculous fanboy you sound like?