Apple taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

post deleted: operator error!

I got the screen names mixed up for a second, too.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    Quote:

what's that have to do with anything? I didn't see a post to prompt it. Don't come into a forum that tries to discuss serious things and try to stir up fights. What's your motive? Your age?

No, not my age as I'm 46. I'm just trying to make light of some ongoing forum silliness. Even on a subject like this, TEKSTUD would make an off topic comment regarding Flash or say one of his other myopic comments.

I apologize if my humor wasn't appreciated.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    iPad out soon - naturally the anti-Apple crap will start flowing.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So what's the problem?

Sounds like Telegraph UK is the problem.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

[...]

I must admit though that the Telegraph could have recognized that Apple's openness is not commonly seen in any company, even including their own

Perhaps a lesson or two in reading is in order. Certainly, the a lesson in writing is.

Nothing really to contribute, and certainly no ill will intended, but I simply found the bolded part funny. Heat of the moment, as it were, I'm sure.

Though, to use an annoyingly ubiquitous Internet meme, QTF. Truly, the semantics involved in the republication of nearly identical stories is nauseating; we all know what's up. However, as anantksundaram put it:

Quote:

Many people don't to read past the headline. Moreover, it reflects very poorly on the Telegraph-UK to be using a sensationalized headline just to attract eyeballs. That is tawdry on their part, a newspaper that I actually like.

I must agree on this count as well.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

No, not my age as I'm 46. I'm just trying to make light of some ongoing forum silliness. Even on a subject like this, TEKSTUD would make an off topic comment regarding Flash or say one of his other myopic comments.

fair enough. and i agree there's plenty of silliness and worse on these forums. but i've seen some changes in tekstud's posts recently so I thought the gratuitous put-down was unfortunate (edit: and inflammatory). I know, someone stop me before i start singing Kumbayah!
  • Reply 27 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Nope, your point is completely valid, though the explanation helped!

No matter what the subject, one almost _expects_ our dear TEKTROLL to make the now-obvious-and-expected commentary (if not to outright hijack the thread). Actually, this isn't always the case, but if you give an inch, 20 miles are taken...

I applaud Apple for making this bold and honest step, even if a bit of criticism was needed to get the ball rolling. As is often the case, they do a very good job of making high-profile "firsts," even if they aren't the original source of the product or behaviour (i.e., they're the first to grab people's attention). While audits don't _fix_ problem, they shine a light on dark places, and hopefully the publicity wheel can initiate some improvement. They have to keep shining that light. (Of course, when the question regards Chinese business and/or government, one can only expect so much progress to be made within reason when the employes are singing this tune: "I owe my soul to the company store," as the song goes... MIners in Appalachia can relate!)

(Yes, the AppleInsider article's title is a bit misleading. The actual Telegraph article's title is "Apple admits using child labour," and the article explains how Apple is coming clean about this and related issues.)
  • Reply 28 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

(Yes, the AppleInsider article's title is a bit misleading. The actual Telegraph article's title is "Apple admits using child labour," and the article explains how Apple is coming clean about this and related issues.)

Give me a break. You can't tell the difference between a headline that says "Apple admits using child labor," and one that intends to say "Apple's suppliers found in Apple audit to use child labor"?

The former is purely incendiary. (Ask your 'writing' pal above if you are unable to see the difference).
  • Reply 29 of 124
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    For those who don't know, The Telegraph is the main UK right-wing 'broadsheet' (as in, not tabloid) paper. It generally has a fairly good standard of journalism, and this article does seem to be oddly slanted against Apple - I wonder why?
  • Reply 30 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

it reflects very poorly on the Telegraph-UK to be using a sensationalized headline just to attract eyeballs. That is tawdry on their part, a newspaper that I actually like.

The Telegraph's online website is widely known for writing 'link-bait' articles, to get their online readership up. "Apple" in a headline draws lots of readers. I hope AppleInsider is at least linking with rel=nofollow.

I presume the Telegraph does it so that they can proclaim themselves "Number 1" (in Hit-Wise's 'independent' statistics, etc.) and get more advertising revenue.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As components get smaller and smaller I think the need for smaller and smaller employees is a must. Child labour FTW.

Children are essential. They could polish the rifle shells with their fingers. Their fingers!!

Oskar Schindler was on to something . . .

In any case, if that was true (I've done very little research on Schindler, most of it's on Rudolf Kasztner - also a rescuer) that was absolute genius.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:

what's that have to do with anything? I didn't see a post to prompt it. Don't come into a forum that tries to discuss serious things and try to stir up fights. What's your motive? Your age?

haha, thats a good one. serious forum?
  • Reply 33 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

C'mon. That is totally off-base and uncalled-for. You should withdraw the comment, and apologize to the forum.

I see the forum monitor has shown up again. Mr moral and integrity, if you want an apology, then step up and tell him you were offended like the pansy you are. Don't speak for the me though, it's not your place.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple said the child workers are now no longer being used, or are no longer underage. "In each of the three facilities, we required a review of all employment records for the year as well as a complete analysis of the hiring process to clarify how underage people had been able to gain employment," Apple said, in an annual report on its suppliers.

So what's the problem?

The problem is yellow journalism, and U.K. tabloids are notorious for it. It stared with Pulitzer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Probably the most glaring example in the tech world is Cnet News, PC World, and even MacWorld. One could also place the label on blogs and websites whose sole purpose is to generate ad clicks, which is why they are called "click whore" sites.

AppleInsider is borderline yellow and getting worse.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The problem is yellow journalism, and U.K. tabloids are notorious for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

The Telegraph isn't a tabloid.
  • Reply 36 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I see the forum monitor has shown up again. Mr moral and integrity, if you want an apology, then step up and tell him you were offended like the pansy you are. Don't speak for the me though, it's not your place.

I am quite glad not to speak for the likes of you.

Just to clarify, I was speaking for myself earlier.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

The Telegraph isn't a tabloid.

Excuse me. My bad. I meant to say that ALL U.K. tabloids AND newspapers are yellow. Period.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

AppleInsider, you are equally as guilty as the Telegraph.co.uk of what we used to call "Prostitution of the Literature."

Except for the headline, i.e., "Apple admits using child labour" and making a blanket unreferenced, thus unconfirmed statement, i.e., "Apple has been repeatedly criticised for using factories that abuse workers and where conditions are poor," the Telegraph.co.uk article is simply a summation of what Apple has recently reported themselves from their investigations.

I don't see anything in the Telegraph.co.uk article that suggest as your headline does, i.e., "Apple [is] taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations. To suggest that the The Telegraph is using "Apple's new supplier responsibility report, to attack the company for auditing its foreign suppliers' labor practices and acting to stop worker exploitation is downright ludicrous.

I must admit though that the Telegraph could have recognized that Apple's openness is not commonly seen in any company, even including their own

Perhaps a lesson or two in reading is in order. Certainly, the a lesson in writing is.

I think you are being really naive here or are perhaps simply wrong.

IMO the article in question is very leading at best and does indeed "take Apple to task" for child labour. It's the worst kind of yellow journalism in that while it does not specifically lie about anything but through only mentioning *some* facts, paints a picture almost completely opposite to the reality of the situation.

It's whole fabric is predicated on the question of whether or not Apple employs child labour (an obviously abhorrent and illegal thing), and it's title is "Apple admits using child labour." It then brings up every nasty incident recently known to have occurred at Apple's factories whether they are related to the accusation or not, without mentioning any of the good things. It never puts any of this into context by mentioning that other companies have far worse records than Apple, that Apple has in fact got one of the best records in this area, or that it was their report that revealed the abuse etc.

It's a completely slanted presentation, and on purpose by the look of it.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    People take the Telegraph seriously? Next you'll start quoting from the Daily Mail...
  • Reply 40 of 124
    "Writing for the Telegraph UK, Malcolm Moore characterized the report's findings to make it sound like Apple had been caught violating the law and had been forced to admit that it was "using child labour in China," when in fact the opposite was actually the case. "

Really? Have you actually read the article?

It's mild criticism at best. Most of what's in it is reporting the facts straight from the document..