Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 187
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I have had a look on the Android forums and quite few people are reporting not being able to reproduce the results contained in the article. You might want to look at that thread:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/4...bit-color.html

Someone even took a photo of their Nexus One displaying that Nasa Mars image:

I don't see any banding, do you?

Just waiting for the rapid back down or obfuscatory excuses from Soneira.

Precisely. Thanks for posting this and proving just how silly people get over these things. The truth is there for everyone to see, but we're supposed to take the "scientific analysis" serious?
  • Reply 182 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Email reply from Dr. Soneira, article author:

On Feb 25, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Raymond Soneira wrote:

to be perfectly honest, this dude sounds like a complete prick.

3. The fact that it may be possible to get higher image quality from some applications is a fanboy issue that is not relevant except to fanboys. We are not... and most Nexus One owners aren't either!

I don't own the device, I don't have plans on owning this device, and I don't even know anyone who owns the device. The fact that it may be possible to get higher image quality from some applications is not a FANBOY issue, it's a consumer issue. The point of his article was to inform people exactly what they're getting when they buy the phone, right? Well HELLO?

This is the equivalent of comparing Windows Mobile Internet Explorer to IPhone's Safari and saying the iphone's web browsing experience is far superior than windows mobile's. Meanwhile, I don't know anyone who doesn't use at least Opera 9.5 as a default browser.

The guy fucked up his "scientific analysis" and now he's back pedaling.
  • Reply 183 of 187
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How come that picture has quite clear banding?

That picture does not have banding on my screen. Go to the main page of the article all these comments are based on and have a look at the left hand version of this image where banding is plain as day, then compare that with the image I posted. If you see banding in the image I posted, then your screen settings are probably set at thousands of colours instead of millions.

I just went to the control panel of my Macbook and set it to thousands of colours and sure enough, I see banding, set it back to millions - no banding.
  • Reply 184 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I just went to the control panel of my Macbook and set it to thousands of colours and sure enough, I see banding, set it back to millions - no banding.

Clearly this is proof that other LCD screens TRUMP macbook LCD screens

(just kidding)
  • Reply 185 of 187
    Great post

Gotta love the cynicism in the posts lol
  • Reply 186 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ArsTechnica gets detailed with the clever trickery used on the Nexus One display.
    In two recent comparisons of the Nexus One's famed AMOLED screen to the iPhone's LCD screen, one done by a display testing company and another done by a blogger, the Google phone's display actually came out the loser. Most of the online debate that followed the two articles was centered around color accuracy, color quantization artifacts, viewing angle, etc., with Google's defenders arguing that the numbers don't tell the full story because you have to take human perception and the human visual system into account, among other factors. But a related, and potentially even bigger issue, hasn't been investigated as thoroughly as the others. Specifically, despite the fact that both Google and HTC have repeatedly claimed that the Nexus One's display is 480x800 pixels in size (252 pixels per inch), the actual effective screen resolution may be substantially less than that, depending on how you count the pixels.
  • Reply 187 of 187
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Fascinating article. Thanks for the link!

I hadn't realized that some screens were non-uniform sub-pixels.