HP attacks Apple iPad over Flash, ARM expects 50 new tablets in 2010

Comments

• Reply 81 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There'll be the iPad and 49 fragmented tablets. We'll see how long many of those 49 last, given their individual uptake (and hence scale).

And, if there's touch involved, careful with the IP, HP!

I'm noticing this word more and more 'fragmented' describing the PC side which to me is the antithesis of Apple's 'ecosystem!'

Two words that sum up the difference between PC's and Macs all down the line.

It's almost like the media is starting to get it. Almost!
  • Reply 82 of 262
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There'll be the iPad and 49 fragmented tablets. We'll see how long many of those 49 last, given their individual uptake (and hence scale).

And, if there's touch involved, careful with the IP, HP!

As an Apple apologist, I think the MS Courier will be the bomb especially if programmig apps are easy and you can play flash. Remember, 100% of tv sites usecl flash so the marketing will probably be like video for free vs paying for it at iTunes.

The Couirier will be big with enterprise and students and if it really is non oem and all msft this means it's msft first computer and they will have better contol over them.

Exciting times for is consumers. All devices will get better.
  • Reply 83 of 262
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Well, to flesh this out a little; with any mobile device, it's not just about battery life. It's about battery life x size x weight

Easy to get better battery life from a device. Just put a bigger battery in it. (and accept the consequences vs. the benefits of that.)

I'm so happy you said this! Needs to be repeated early and often in Apple hardware comparisons to other hardware.
  • Reply 84 of 262
    This is not the 1st time a tablet has been built based on Microsoft O/S. Previous attempts have not been fruitful. iPad can be a success. Its O/S is multi-touch friendly. It has access to over 140,000 apps. Publishers are making ebooks for iPad.
  • Reply 85 of 262
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What flavor do you recommend?

script
  • Reply 86 of 262
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

As an Apple apologist, I think the MS Courier will be the bomb especially if programmig apps are easy and you can play flash. Remember, 100% of tv sites usecl flash so the marketing will probably be like video for free vs paying for it at iTunes.

The Couirier will be big with enterprise and students and if it really is non oem and all msft this means it's msft first computer and they will have better contol over them.

Exciting times for is consumers. All devices will get better.

Remember, we've only seen a CG mockup of Courier, not even a live demo. It doesn't yet exist and will likely be very different from what actually appears if we follow MS' history.

Note has demoed WinPhone7 and that isn't slated to launch until the end of the year so I can't imagge courier coming until 2011, at the earliest.
  • Reply 87 of 262
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Title should read:

Generic box-assembler makes upside-down back-asswards iPad knockoff with poorly-implemented interface.

Time to compile the list of failed iPad-Killers, to put with the ever-growing list of failed iPhone-Killers.

Happy to say, however, that the failed iPod-Killer list has been retired.
  • Reply 88 of 262
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What flavor do you recommend?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

script

Now talking seriously, I edited my post I should have said javascript.

Anyway what Solipsism says makes much more sense. you can ignore me now.
  • Reply 89 of 262
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I need to get my hands on both devices before I call one 'crippled' or 'functional'. I have had VERY bad experiences with Win CE devices in the past, therefore I don't hold out much hope for Win 7 on a 'slate'.

The key words you used are 'same price'. I doubt very much that HP will be able to match the iPad price point successfully. Stripping out the hardware costs of the iPad (at about, what? $265 without 3g estimated) . Microsoft Win 7 adds between $85 and a $100 per unit. It is really tough for HP to compete.

Nothing is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3MSjwUrxT0
  • Reply 90 of 262
    good, so the hp tablet will be hot (as in 100 degrees) and will have a 15 minute battery life

i guess i know what tablet i'll be getting
  • Reply 91 of 262
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have no idea how viable they are right now, but I've seen plenty of charts examples with HTML5.
    More to the point, if it's for a business or scientific application then having it on the World Wide Web likely isn't required so making a bonafide C-based app in iPhone OS or Android would seem to be a better choice.

Thanks for the link. Looks promising. I'll check it out.

Everything is expected to be on the web so a dedicated application is not preferable. I'm not too concerned with mobile devices since the type of applications I do mostly require a large screen and fast processor as well as a high speed connection which you can't assume will always be present with mobile.
  • Reply 92 of 262
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

So, to sum up. It's a TM2t is a notebook/convertible. With a Keyboard. Running full Win 7 in 4 gigs of ram. 6 cell battery, weighing in at 4.7 pounds and costing $900-$1000 USD.

You forget that it is up to 1.55 inches thick! Holy crap, how did they not fit in an optical drive in a machine that size.

Quote:

This might be a 'competitor' of the White MacBook, but not the iPad. Weight, battery life and cost don't compare.

It's actually quite a cost premium for swiveling touch screen feature. As a laptop, it's a horrible price for its features. Part of reason why notevertibles/lapvertibles/laptablet, a PC tablet, haven't sold that well. The netbook based convertibles will sell better. Who knows. If netvertibles don't sell, it'll narrow down the problems in the slate or tablet category to software or that people just don't like them.
  • Reply 93 of 262
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're also ignoring the fact that Apple is worth nearly twice as much as HP. That means Apple can beat down HP on size alone.

going by today's market cap yes. but there's a difference between being today's darling on the stock exchange, and being a mammoth company that does 2x in annual revenue. Apple isn't beating down HP in anything. HP is a mammoth.
  • Reply 94 of 262
    tsad23tsad23 Posts: 46member
    I feel that the HP slate would be better off running windows phone series 7 or Android than windows 7 . It would make the slate more functional and easier to use.

Anyway, can't wait till April 3rd to get my hands on the ipad...
  • Reply 95 of 262
    Just the fact that the HP runs Windows is a turn off....good luck with the million updates and restarts.
  • Reply 96 of 262
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Some of you are forgetting that it runs full Windows with HP's touch technology grafted on. Yuck.

iPad-Killer device fails on interface alone. Another tablet to throw onto the pile.

• Reply 97 of 262
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'notebook/convertibles' have proven to be a small segment as far as sales....I think they are not long for this world....
  • Reply 98 of 262
    Boast all they want. They also boasted when the iphone was introduced a lot of companies did about their up and coming iphone killers. Well iphone is still king and the scavengers are still running around picking up the scraps from Apples table.
  • Reply 99 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dbossmon View Post

Boast all they want. They also boasted when the iphone was introduced a lot of companies did about their up and coming iphone killers. Well iphone is still king and the scavengers are still running around picking up the scraps from Apples table.

Agreed, Apple was right about the iPhone, no creaky moving parts, no physical keyboard, no replaceable battery that takes up room, no Flash eating up your battery and minimal buttons. Oh, and lastly don't let the d*ckheads at Verizon control the handset!

Just ask the once market leader Palm about their Pre.
  • Reply 100 of 262
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That tablet is a crystal clear violation of Apple's trademark they were granted a couple of weeks ago, it looks almost identical, especially from the front. Apple likely won't take them to court over it, but it's just so lame to copy another device so closely.

Look a little closer. The HP is the normal aspect ratio, while Apple chose the outmoded 4:3 aspect ratio. The looks aren't even close.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

HP was the market and design leader for cool new mobile devices not that long ago. Now they are copying Apple molecule by molecule it seems and Dell is the innovator? Yikes.

They made tablet computers long before Apple. And they are not copying the "not a real computer" meme either: Theirs has a full OS on it.