Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I'm in, 27 is the perfect size for what I need, replacing a 24" Dell.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

Blu-Ray authoring is a giant pain in the ass, even more so than DVD authoring which is still a not-insignificant pain to this day.

Blu-Ray is a GIANT bag of hurt!
  • Reply 83 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm getting really sick of this 'iPads won't multitask' nonsense. Do you expect to play a game while you're browsing the web? Write a report while playing a game?

Nobody except geek's ever multitask's, and the iPad is not made for geek's.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

crapware bogs down Dells thus requiring more RAM for base models.

Windows is crapware to!
  • Reply 85 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Awesome news. I hope its worth a real announcement and not some quiet update to the Apple store. I would love for Apple to show some pride in their pro offerings.

Apple is now a mobile devices company.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    "So now I have the Googlephonic stereo with a Moon Rock needle ? it's OK for a car stereo, but I wouldn't want it in my house?"

• Reply 87 of 114
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I like the right-to-the-edge black look on these mock-ups. If they could do that on the iMacs I'd be really happy.
  • Reply 88 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

That's not true, either.

I multitask on my iMac and MBP. For example, I may be ripping a DVD while surfing the web. Or rendering a movie while doing something else.

It's just that multitasking isn't needed for something like the iPad. Almost everything on the iPad is designed for constant user interaction. There are few things that would benefit from running in the background and those that would benefit are available (playing music while surfing the web, downloading email while playing a game, etc.

The problem is that the 'it won't multitask' whiners just don't get the purpose of the device. It's not a replacement for a full-blown computer. It's a portable content delivery device.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stembridge View Post

"So now I have the Googlephonic stereo with a Moon Rock needle ? it's OK for a car stereo, but I wouldn't want it in my house?"

Haha. Somebody had to say it. I didn't think anyone would get that!

The dodecaphonic system with the moon-rock needle...
  • Reply 90 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phookade View Post

Oh well, after a hefty bonus this year, I really truly wanted *two* Dual-processor Mac Pros, one for me, one for my wife. You know what?

Forget about that.

June? I've build PCs before, Hackintosh here I come. Core i7 6-Core CPU, SSD-drive, latest Radeon graphics - all stuff Apple won't sell even if I begged them to. To be had at half the price of a Mac Pro and propably resulting in a faster machine that can be upgraded more easily than even a Mac Pro (no re-flashing for the Radeon required).

So long and thanks for the OS, I'll stick to that for the time being.

I'm in the same position. I would love a Mac Pro, but they are just too expensive for my needs, especially considering I don't need workstation-class hardware.

I'm looking to build a quad-core (Core i7 870 2.93ghz... it's Lynnfield but it's turbo boost is far higher than bloomfield) desktop (high-end ATI or Nvidia DX11, SSD, etc) that dualboots OSX and Windows 7. I've been out of the custom PC game for a long time, so I wanted to ask you what parts you are looking at and any advice you have.

One of the biggest problems I am having is finding a good case that is both aesthetically pleasing and offers good cable/drive management. Do you (or anyone else) know of anything that comes close to the Mac Pro case? Does anyone make a clone?
  • Reply 91 of 114
    If you want a cinema display buy this upcoming 27" IPS one as this will be the last one before the MacPros and everything associated with it is discontinued in 2011.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imadedend View Post

It will be a long way off until we start using 30-foot monitors for practical home use....

i'd definitely need a bigger house!
  • Reply 93 of 114
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

1) I never said it was "over due". I clearly stated it was past the average time between releases as evidenced by the previously provided link.

This is my take on why the G5 was updated more frequently despite the slow progress with the CPU compared with the steady progress Intel makes:

During the G5 era Apple was desperate to release new stuff to show that the platform wasn't stagnating even when it was. They also had to make updates in order to differentiate the towers from the iMac that used the same CPU.

Today Apple enjoys more frequent updates from Intel, but makes fewer updates to their towers. Apple headquarters is driving the bus now and I think they'd like to be more like an auto maker that makes exactly one release per year and always at the same time of year.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

You probably multitask and don't even know it.

Do you use time machine? If the answer is yes, think about it for a minute.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    I think we'll be lucky to see this or a new iMac or Macbook Pro before the iPad launch.

Maybe late April or May?

June at the outside.

27 inch. Probably one thousand quid knowing Apple.

Entry 6 core. Probably 2k knowing Apple.

Total. An eye watering 3k.

Erm.

No.

Vs a 27 inch quad core iMac for less than half the price?

Er. No.

I may trade in my Core 2 duo iMac for the 27 inch model when rev 2 iMac comes out.

i7 3 gig-ish with better gpu. Amen to that.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 96 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I'm in the same position. I would love a Mac Pro, but they are just too expensive for my needs, especially considering I don't need workstation-class hardware.

I'm looking to build a quad-core (Core i7 870 2.93ghz... it's Lynnfield but it's turbo boost is far higher than bloomfield) desktop (high-end ATI or Nvidia DX11, SSD, etc) that dualboots OSX and Windows 7. I've been out of the custom PC game for a long time, so I wanted to ask you what parts you are looking at and any advice you have.

One of the biggest problems I am having is finding a good case that is both aesthetically pleasing and offers good cable/drive management. Do you (or anyone else) know of anything that comes close to the Mac Pro case? Does anyone make a clone?

Check out the cooler master atcs 840 (also comes in silver) and the Corsair Obsidian 800d Case both are huge cases plenty of room for anything. and both very slick looking
  • Reply 97 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloredtoad View Post

Check out the cooler master atcs 840 (also comes in silver) and the Corsair Obsidian 800d Case both are huge cases plenty of room for anything. and both very slick looking

If you don't want to spend a fortune, like something that looks a bit more subdued and is prepared for silence out the box then the Fractal Design R2 might be the one: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=...gory=2&prod=33

It comes pre-lined with a thick, heavy bitumen sound-deadening material on the inside, silicone mounts for fans & drives and a foam-lined soundproofed front door, along with two good quality 120mm fans. Less than half the price of the two cases mentioned to boot.

I've just built a Core i5-based hackintosh using one of these and it's almost totally inaudible, orders of magnitude quieter than any Mac Pro. Have a look here for more info and pics of the build: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=879

• Reply 98 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ectoplasmosis View Post

I've just built a Core i5-based hackintosh using one of these and it's almost totally inaudible, orders of magnitude quieter than any Mac Pro. Have a look here for more info and pics of the build: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=879

If you were going to make a case for a hackintosh being "orders of magnitude cheaper" per Ghz than a Mac Pro I'd give you that, but to say it's "orders of magnitude quieter" than a Mac Pro you'll have to back that statement up. What testing have you done.

Anecdotally, my HP Media Smart home server is the only noisy 'PC' I've owned in several years. I never once herd my Mac Pro. It's designed to run quietly. Have you ever owned or used a Mac Pro?

Quote:

The Mac Pro is also whisper-quiet. The subtle sound of ours was drowned out by an eMac ten feet away, and adding three internal hard drives didn't seem to increase fan noise appreciably. The dual-core Power Mac G5 we used for comparison is a pleasantly quiet machine, but the Mac Pro is even quieter.

You can find many of these comments from a simple Google search.
  • Reply 99 of 114
    Quote:

If you were going to make a case for a hackintosh being "orders of magnitude cheaper" per Ghz than a Mac Pro I'd give you that, but to say it's "orders of magnitude quieter" than a Mac Pro you'll have to back that statement up. What testing have you done.

Anecdotally, my HP Media Smart home server is the only noisy 'PC' I've owned in several years. I never once herd my Mac Pro. It's designed to run quietly. Have you ever owned or used a Mac Pro?

I briefly owned a 2008 Mac Pro, there are two of mixed vintage in the house I share and a friend does pro video on a cluster of Nehalem machines which I've examined (and admired) thoroughly as preparation for building cost-effective hackintoshes without cutting corners.

Having experience with audio, I can say with a modicum of confidence that as quiet systems go (and the Nehalem Mac Pros are very quiet for an off-the-shelf machine), the system I built is orders of magnitude quieter, at a guess by around 10-15dB at a distance of 30cm from the side of the case.

The problems with the Apple machines are: a relative crapload of fans (one in each CPU heatsink, two at each end of the CPU chamber, one in the expansion card chamber, one in the PSU and another if you've got a reasonably powerful graphics card), no sound-deadening case lining and fairly rigid hard drive mounts. The fans are also PWM-controlled variable-speed, ramping up (and I've heard them get pretty loud) if things get toasty.

The system I built has a grand total of two high-quality 120mm fans, permanently under-volted to spin at a constant rate of 500rpm, which is difficult to discern even with your ear next to the fan naked. They will never spin any faster regardless of CPU load. The whole case is also lined with thick, dense bitumen based material, adding substantial mass to the case panels and absorbing any high frequency bearing noise from the fans and hard drive. By far the loudest thing in the whole machine is the single hard drive, and it becomes inaudible if you move your head further than a foot from the rear of the case.

Temperatures are not an issue, with all cores loaded overnight in a room at 25C, the max CPU temp is around 55C.

• Reply 100 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ectoplasmosis View Post

Having experience with audio, I can say with a modicum of confidence that as quiet systems go (and the Nehalem Mac Pros are very quiet for an off-the-shelf machine), the system I built is orders of magnitude quieter, at a guess by around 10-15dB at a distance of 30cm from the side of the case.

Okay, that is sufficient for me, plus I went to your link looking at the more detailed data. Welcome to the forum.