US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

While I think the recent military conflicts have a lot to be desired, I can only guess (imo) that you may have missed the page in the history books from a few decades ago about had the US not exercised its military might (including the draft), we might all be speaking German or Japanese right now in what would have been an even more dictatorial government. Thankfully, it's an opinion only which like you, I'm exercising my right to do so.

Enjoy your freedom of speech. It came at a cost and always will. If you think throwing flowers or foul language at the enemy will dissuade them from causing harm or invading our soil, by all means I would love to put you on the front-line and test your belief. While our government is far from perfect, I'll choose living here in the USofA anytime compared to other countries with dysfunctional governments.

That being said, if anyone can provide an incredible user-experience using technology that can make our kids in the military safer, it would be Apple. I look forward to what they can do. It would certainly be more cutting edge that what even Apple would normally due for the average consumer product.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Next time someone threatens the US I say you go talk to them.

Yes but look at the big picture! If you don't we will continue to repeat history.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Yes, please drop the politics and religion.

I abandoned another Mac daily news site because it became a political gutter; there was zero Apple or tech discussion. We don't need that to happen here too.

If you feel a need to soapbox, fine. Please find a better place to do it.

As for Apple and the military, America's armed forces will be demobilized well within a decade. It'll be interesting to see what stateside uses this technology will have.

Its one thread out of a thousand. If this gets out of hand I am sure AppleInsider moderators will shut it down. Sometimes its good to have a healthy discussion on politics and religion even on an Apple news site. I don't see this getting out of hand at. Besides it helps the posters get to know each other even better.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    They can probably pick up some tips on confidentiality and secrecy too.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Regarding a militarized iPad, which finger gesture will launch the cruise missile ? A two finger swipe or three finger pinch?
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...

Great post. Times change and things change and what's important changes to each and every one. To be successful in business one needs to make money.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

USAF reserves? Go Air Force! Did mine 66'-70'(active).

Oregon Air Guard. (Photographer) 03-present. Was active Army from 95-98. Then I saw the light..
  • Reply 48 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Leaders of the U.S. Army's technology command visited Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus earlier this month to talk about existing products, including the forthcoming iPad, and the development of new, user-friendly technology for use on the front lines.

The army is just another customer. The fact that the army is involved in all sorts of questionable activities around the world matters little. It is a branch of government, after all. I am sure Apple sells to many companies involved in business that many would find distasteful, or immoral, and that would sometimes even be deemed illegal were it scrutinized. It really has nothing to do with Apple per se. The fact that the Army comes knocking on Apple's door does mean that at this point Apple is doing something right in terms of the technical and physical qualities of their products. If the visit turns into a large contract then good for Apple. SJ and many Apple followers may be justified in asking themselves whether these sales truly would make 'the world a better place', but the question is loaded and complicated and belongs somewhere else. Morals, ethics, politics and philosophy are big subjects. When mixed with business and capitalism I am not sure a simple and happy answer can be found. There are very few absolutes.
  • Reply 49 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of security (and deliberately going off topic) the PWN2OWN competition starts in 7 minutes.

PWN2OWN update:

Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari! Their payload pulled the SMS database.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Regarding a militarized iPad, which finger gesture will launch the cruise missile ? A two finger swipe or three finger pinch?

Hopefully all three will launch something.

You need anti-air missiles, and ground based tow missiles too - different gestures for each.

The three finger swipe was to be used for tear gassing hippy protesters, but since they are working to extinct themselves, there's no reason it can't be repurposed for grenades and bombs instead. On the water levels maybe it controls a harpoon or something.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

A middle finger salute.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...

I took the time to read all of your previous posts. Not a single positive one in the bunch. Every one either a "closed system" diatribe or a complaint. Nothing positive, only rants.

You are free to not purchase anything from Apple. You have that right you know. You are also free to visit the user forums of companies who are more to your liking and ideology instead being miserable and negative here. But you choose to post here. Strange.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

Regardless of your views on the military role of the US around the globe, it is important to get two critical fact straight: (i) The US military is controlled by civilian politicians; (ii) If they are asked to do something -- how well or poorly it gets implemented is a separate issue -- they do not have the luxury of saying 'no.' They just have to do it.

Move along.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

They can probably pick up some tips on confidentiality and secrecy too.

• Reply 55 of 129
    Quote:

Yeah, you should go try and talk to Al Qaeda/Taliban, and bring them over to your point of view.
  • Reply 56 of 129
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Apple will be developing the iBomb and the iJet.
  • Reply 57 of 129
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Obama uses a Blackberry. Did he screw up?

"Did he screw up?"... When has he not?!
  • Reply 58 of 129
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

we might all be speaking German or Japanese right now

I always hear that, and sort of laugh. Like speaking either of those languages would somehow be a bad thing? Since English would never disappear completely, most would probably be bilingual -- a pretty good thing.

Quote:

in what would have been an even more dictatorial government.

Ask the guys at Wikileaks about that, or the guys in Cuba, or the communications company saving this post right now for NSA review (preview?) Or maybe approach your major news network or newspaper, that's owned by a large company who takes cues from government officials, and whose reporters know saying the wrong thing will mean getting fired -- even if it means 'honest journalism.'

There's freedom, illusion of freedom, and flat out heavy handed authoritarian government (that makes it a point to highlight its punishments for disloyalty). US is an example of the second, but slowly moving toward the later.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, you should go try and talk to Al Qaeda/Taliban, and bring them over to your point of view.

You mean like in the 80s? Maybe someone should have just minded their own fucking business, period.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

PWN2OWN update:

Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari! Their payload pulled the SMS database.

Charles Miller will win again on Safari on the Mac.

He stated he found 20 exploits for Safari and Preview.

Shaming Apple doesn't seem to work, it's looking like another Microsoft now.

Somebody should tell the Army.