Delays cause Apple to switch iPad touch-panel orders to Wintek

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Since TS is on my ignore list I didn't see the signature, if it's offensive a MODERATOR should advise TS to remove it and remove TS from this site.

Well there is nothing offensive about it and why are you trying to ignite a flame war? A moderator should do something about that. As for your passive /agressivenesss.......
  • Reply 22 of 47
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    If some one is on an ignore list you can't see the contents of their post, you only see that the person has posted something.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:

If some one is on an ignore list you can't see the contents of their post, you only see that the person has posted something.

Sounds like viewing the world though rose colored glassses.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    switzswitz Posts: 6member
    I just checked my credit card pre authorizations and find that even the two "delayed" items (iPad Keyboard Dock and spare 10W power supply plus sales tax) were combined for a line item entry. The other order entries (including estimated sales tax) scheduled for the 3 April delivery date were also listed. Thus there is a chance the whole order might ship at the appropriate time.

As my order was printed one minute after the starting gun went off, I have always thought there was a strong possibility my order would be filled even if they "sold out" of initial stock.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i expect FedEx to drop off a box on Saturday morning.....

Agreed...

If not, I will be very upset atleast
  • Reply 26 of 47
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Good luck to everyone on the 3rd. Apple Stores will be absolutely rammed.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

Yeah I'd hate a bait and switch where apple shows off the ipad only to switch screen manufacturers at the last minute and get screens on sales unit that are grossly inferior. We've seen issues in the past with Yellow tinged 3g phone screens, negative images on the 1g Itouch that was not there on review units.

So all manufacturers get the same spec to meet, the same QA standards to meet and they have to pass Apple's final checks as well. The "yellow" screen issue was dealt with above, and the other was on a few only. Apple is not perfect and occasionally makes mistakes, but to suggest that they would go with a deliberately lower quality screen as a "bait n' switch tactic is indicative of a serious lack of understanding. Apple would not have the marketshare it has if they did that for real. Simple logic would tell you that.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Good luck to everyone on the 3rd. Apple Stores will be absolutely rammed.

and probably crammed too
  • Reply 29 of 47
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Sounds like viewing the world though rose colored glassses.

what colour are yours?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

what colour are yours?

Fluorescent beige.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Back on topic...

My hat's off to all you early iPad adopters with $$$ to blow on a new product.

A few notes:

DO pickup up AppleCare, if you live in Florida you need to use a out of state residence as it appears Apple hasn't meet the Florida law requirements yet, which means disclosing sensitive data like sales numbers.

DO get the iPad Case or something to protect the screen when not in use. Imagine laying the iPad on it's back on a desk and having your cat jump up on it's glass screen or dropping your car keys on it in the dark.

DO get a screen film protector, one can buy one from a third party source for a Mac and cut it down to size and apply. Not only will it cut the glare, but tiny scratches from micro grains stuck to your fingers.

DO place the iPad in places where it won't be sat upon by accident.

DO keep the iPad and Case in plain view or stand it up in a bookcase or something to avoid things being placed upon it. That screen will crack in a heartbeat if your not ultra careful.

Buy some safe fingerprint/oil removal solution and ultra fine cloth they sell for that and only use it for that. DO not use a used cotton t-shirt as it has micro holes which could be holding fine grains and scratch the surface.

Consider the 64GB model, the larger the storage, the longer the useful life of the device.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    No preauthorization on my card yet. Perhaps people who live further away from the shipping point are having their orders prepped first. I'm in CA. Any pattern here? Where do those who've seen activity on their credit card accounts live?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Back on topic...

My hat's off to all you early iPad adopters with $$$ to blow on a new product.

You expect us to take you seriously after a statement like that?

Quote:

A few notes:

DO pickup up AppleCare, if you live in Florida you need to use a out of state residence as it appears Apple hasn't meet the Florida law requirements yet, which means disclosing sensitive data like sales numbers.

DO get the iPad Case or something to protect the screen when not in use. Imagine laying the iPad on it's back on a desk and having your cat jump up on it's glass screen or dropping your car keys on it in the dark.

DO get a screen film protector, one can buy one from a third party source for a Mac and cut it down to size and apply. Not only will it cut the glare, but tiny scratches from micro grains stuck to your fingers.

DO keep the iPad and Case in plain view or stand it up in a bookcase or something to avoid things being placed upon it. That screen will crack in a heartbeat if your not ultra careful.

Buy some safe fingerprint/oil removal solution and ultra fine cloth they sell for that and only use it for that. DO not use a used cotton t-shirt as it has micro holes which could be holding fine grains and scratch the surface.

Consider the 64GB model, the larger the storage, the longer the useful life of the device.

Nervous troll much? I'm not that worried about mine, and I'm going to wait and get the right case when I find it and just take care of it until then, but I don't think I have to worry about it getting crushed by a book or two.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

This is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Remember the glory days of the 80's when Amigas, Ataris, and Macs were actually made in North America?

The loss of manufacturing ability here is truly sad.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is just plain wrong.

It's wrong only because you should buy one already cut to size which I'm sure PowerSupport and others will offer.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple just inked a deal with Samsung (AI, yesterday) to provide screens--wonder if there might be differences between the different manufacturers?

Apple has only promised a 9.7" 1024x768 IPS display. Every thing else is up in the air. Depending on manufacturer and/or model number the display could be different, but we probably won't know for weeks into sales after we can get some proper comparisons. Even then you won't know who made what panel since there is no mechanism in the iPad to look up display model and manufacturer like there is in Mac OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Apple stores get plenty of action all the time, it doesn't need to do anything for perception. The product will garner the attention and sell itself.

It's sad that his anti-Apple rhetoric now has to state that Apple stores need to pretend they are busy to sway public image. If Troll Inc. doesn't pay on commission or he's not getting paid this month.

PS: Please don't feed.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

It's wrong only because you should buy one already cut to size which I'm sure PowerSupport and others will offer.

Tiny scratches from "micro-grains" stuck on your fingers??

You can put keys to your iPhone's screen and even then the chances of scratches are minimal.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has only promised a 9.7" 1024x768 IPS display. Every thing else is up in the air. Depending on manufacturer and/or model number the display could be different, but we probably won't know for weeks into sales after we can get some proper comparisons. Even then you won't know who made what panel since there is no mechanism in the iPad to look up display model and manufacturer like there is in Mac OS X.

Hope that this doesn't inspire another aspect ratio debate--been a rash of them lately--like yesterday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's sad that his anti-Apple rhetoric now has to state that Apple stores need to pretend they are busy to sway public image. If Troll Inc. doesn't pay on commission or he's not getting paid this month.

PS: Please don't feed.

Agreed -- either don't feed ie ignore or add to your ignore list---please
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

A few notes:

You forgot to mention that it should not be heated in the microwave and should not be used in the bath - even when it's not charging via the USB cable.

These are both really useful pieces of information, I don't know how you could have overlooked them.