Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    I hope that my 64 gig, 3G iPad arrives in late April as scheduled, not some time in May. I ordered on the first day, so I'm assuming that any delay will not apply to me.

It will really be interesting to see how the naysayers react when they discover that all of Apple's "controversial" design decisions are actually entirely sensible. You know, the wide bezel, the 4:3 aspect ratio, the choice of the iPhone OS instead of the Mac OS, the lack of a bunch of ports and other openings that mar its esthetics. Timing is everything. By the time Dell, HP, and the usual suspects come out with their tablets loaded with Windows 7, the iPad will have established the notion that we don't need a complicated OS on this new category of devices. Ease of use and the ability to do some things really well will be the key, not the ability to do everything. I suspect that the only players will be iPhone OS and Android OS tablets.
  • Reply 42 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Haven't you heard, the Slate has already been killed by the Joojoo.

That mockup is slick, as is the site's code, but I do have doubts about that as a viable platform. What is known about FusionGarage as a viable tablet OS? How are they marketing Flash 10.1 when it's not yet released for Android? Will a device that weighs a pound more than the iPad, doesn't have 802.11a/n or any 3G cellular tech, and considerably less battery time fare against a proper tablet?
  • Reply 43 of 126
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm under the impression that using an alias whilst BANNED results in a permanent ban.

The game of moderator whack-a-mole continues.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

What's a JooJoo? It sounds antisemitic.
  • Reply 45 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal either way, I don't know. I wonder how well or if solipsism's multi-IO card reader idea would work. Now, if there was a dock-to-USB-mini-B cable and iPad can read from any slot on a standard multi-card reader, that would be pretty nifty.

If they added this slot, there would be no need to buy the units with more than 16 GBytes. We'd all just use SD cards for storage.
  • Reply 46 of 126
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What prevents third parties from selling a USB to 30-pin cable or adaptor that connects a variety of digital cameras to the iPad?

Nothing. But I'm sure Apple will start official Made for iPad licensing, so if they want to use the iPad logo, they'll have to pay Apple the licensing fee (10%, I think). Just like with iPod.
  • Reply 47 of 126
    Quote:

Oh, man. I'd never heard of this before today. That's ? that's just appalling. Did you notice one of their product images on the front page includes an unlicensed still from Avatar? They need a disclaimer at the bottom that reads, "Screen images extremely simulated."
  • Reply 48 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I'm under the impression that using an alias whilst BANNED results in a permanent ban.

Some bans aren't permanent. Why it wasn't in this case, I don't know, I didn't do the deed.

Quote:

I don't think the argument is against what you mention, but how useful an SD card slot would be for iPad users. I have never taken the 4GB Sd card out of my camera to sync it with my Mac. The only reason I even have a 16GB SD card for my Mac is for the SL Restore Disc so I can forego the DVD altogether, other than that it has never been used.

That would work if you have just one camera or the cameras you have all happen to use the same connector. Most of my cameras use SD, no two seem to use the same connector. Besides, using the camera's connector has usually been the slowest way to fetch the images by a wide margin.

Quote:

That mockup is slick, as is the site's code, but I do have doubts about that as a viable platform. What is known about FusionGarage as a viable tablet OS? How are they marketing Flash 10.1 when it's not yet released for Android? Will a device that weighs a pound more than the iPad, doesn't have 802.11a/n or any 3G cellular tech, and considerably less battery time fare against a proper tablet?

I'll believe it's a real product when people start getting them in their hands. I haven't kept track of this project, but it seemed there was a cloud of legal issues that need to be resolved.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

If they added this slot, there would be no need to buy the units with more than 16 GBytes. We'd all just use SD cards for storage.

It's possible, but I don't think it would work that way. The iPad doesn't have a user-accessible file management system, and I think a lot of the programs would have to be reworked to see cards.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal either way, I don't know. I wonder how well or if solipsism's multi-IO card reader idea would work. Now, if there was a dock-to-USB-mini-B cable and iPad can read from any slot on a standard multi-card reader, that would be pretty nifty.

I have cameras with SD and CF cards (using both micro and mini USB). As much as I hate adapters & dongles, Apple's connector seems to be the best option as long as there are so many different formats out there.

The other issue is as soon as you put an SD slot on an iPhone or iPad, you have to have a file management tool like the Finder. The whole paradigm behind the iPhone/iPad is that "files" where they exist at all belong to an app, not to the media they're on. Removable media means file management. While you and I would no doubt master it, my parents, clients, and even one of my two brothers really don't fully grasp file management.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What's a JooJoo? It sounds antisemitic.

JooJoo? Isn't that one of those little gummy candies? Oh, wait...

Solipsism, does it actually run on Android? It just says "browser-based operating system" under tech specs and doesn't seem to actually name it. And in its differences from the iPad you forgot to mention that while it is 1lb heavier, it's also 2" larger. But you only get 4GB for the same $499.
  • Reply 51 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Nothing. But I'm sure Apple will start official Made for iPad licensing, so if they want to use the iPad logo, they'll have to pay Apple the licensing fee (10%, I think). Just like with iPod.

I also suggested that a simple adaptor, one which probably already made, will suffice.
  • Reply 52 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

JooJoo? Isn't that one of those little gummy candies? Oh, wait...

Solipsism, does it actually run on Android? It just says "browser-based operating system" under tech specs and doesn't seem to actually name it. And in its differences from the iPad you forgot to mention that while it is 1lb heavier, it's also 2" larger. But you only get 4GB for the same $499.

I left out a lot of specs. My concern was the weight issue for a item that is likely intended to be held for prolonged periods. Though with a rating of "up to 5 hours with WiFi" likely being only a couple hours of video or active internet usage that probably won't be a problem.

The OS is reportedly Linux-based called FusionGarage but little is know about the UI which appears to be similar to WebOS and Chrome OS in they are based on webcode, which has potential but I can't see how any such design can be good without public testing. I have to think the pre-orders page is just a gimmick to (hopefully) show potential investors that there is an interest in the device.

There also seems to be a lot of internal issues plaguing this device, according to Wikipedia.
  • Reply 53 of 126
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

Once the first 100 million, Kool-aid drinking fanboys get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!

Once the 6,811,000,000 people on earth get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 54 of 126
    I have an old USB adaptor for an old iPod video model. It did the same function but will it work on the iPad? Apple did change the dock connector a little bit to prevent old chargers from charging the iPhone and iPod touch. Might they have changed to USB portion too?
  • Reply 55 of 126
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

There is still no release date for the WiFi+3G or Japan \

Yeah, anyone hear or know if this "pushback" on the WiFi model means the 3G model won't ship until 30 days later or eek, May 12th???
  • Reply 56 of 126
    I assume there will be two lines outside the stores at 9 am. One for those who "reserved for pick-up" and the other for those who didn't. Should be interesting.
  • Reply 57 of 126
    Quote:

I don't think the argument is against what you mention, but how useful an SD card slot would be for iPad users. I have never taken the 4GB Sd card out of my camera to sync it with my Mac. The only reason I even have a 16GB SD card for my Mac is for the SL Restore Disc so I can forego the DVD altogether, other than that it has never been used.

Some users' total lack of imagination is their biggest missing feature.

Apple has never included every port or slot imaginable in their gear, since few users will actually ever need or ever use all those slots. Third-party add-ons and adaptors have always been available to connect to FireWire and USB ports for such things. Since the included 30-pin Dock Connector IS capable of connecting to USB, the point for a USB slot is moot. besides, 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth are also built-in.

The percentage of people wanting to transfer digital images to their iPads will probably be very small, so an extra adaptor suits such users well, while keeping the overall design simpler (and cheaper to produce) for the vast majority of users.
  • Reply 58 of 126
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

I have an old USB adaptor for an old iPod video model. It did the same function but will it work on the iPad? Apple did change the dock connector a little bit to prevent old chargers from charging the iPhone and iPod touch. Might they have changed to USB portion too?

I was wondering that too. It sounds like it is probably different though.
  • Reply 59 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nothing. Could be done by anyone, any time, and likely will.

You mean they rule the APP store with an iron fist and then let anyone develop anything they wish for the dock connector?
  • Reply 60 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disposableidentity View Post

I have cameras with SD and CF cards (using both micro and mini USB). As much as I hate adapters & dongles, Apple's connector seems to be the best option as long as there are so many different formats out there.

Absolutely!

And with new card formats appearing regularly, how and would they keep up? All Apple needs are complaints that someone's iPad wouldn't recognize an SD-XYZ format card.

If I were doing a lot of photo shooting, I'd bring my MacBook Pro and ExpressCard/32 SD and CF readers.

Anyway, I'm glad I pre-ordered MY iPad early!