Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Oh, and its truly ugly and squeaks whenever you touch it.

Sounds just like my first girlfriend.
  • Reply 82 of 126
    At this point, one of the only things that I worry about is having tocarry round a bag full of adaptors for my iPhone, iPad, Sonic Impact music player and my camera. The person who comes up with a universal adaptor is going to make a bundle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I was wondering that too. It sounds like it is probably different though.

• Reply 83 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

There is still no release date for the WiFi+3G or Japan \

The announcement for release dates outside the US should happen early April... but that doesn't stop me from checking the Apple store daily!
  • Reply 84 of 126
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!?

Just because of a stupid delay?
  • Reply 85 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Just because of a stupid delay?

Even if you're not familiar with anantksundaram's posts the use of trademark symbol and emoticon indicates that he is joking.
  • Reply 86 of 126
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even if you're not familiar with anantksundaram's posts the use of trademark symbol and emoticon indicates that he is joking.

Sorry. Just tired of the iPad hate. Can't wait till its finally released.
  • Reply 87 of 126
    Steve Jobs (to Ipad): Hello handsome. You're a good looking device, do you know that? People laugh at you, people hate you, but why do they hate you? Because... they are jealous. Look at that delightful interface. Look at that sweet responsiveness. Do you wanna talk about fast silicon? Do you want to talk about sheer convenience? Do you want to talk about the Olympian ideal? You are a God. And listen to me, you are not evil. You... are... good.

iPad: For as long as I can remember people have meh'd the tablet interface. They looked at my screen and my case and they ran away in apathy. In my inadequacy I decided that if I could not inspire love, which is my deepest hope, I would instead cause boredom. I live because this poor half-crazed genius, has given me life. He alone held an image of me as something beautiful and then, when it would have been easy enough to stay out of danger, he used his own silicon as a guinea pig to give me a faster brain and a somewhat more sophisticated way of expressing myself.

Thanks Mel Brooks!
  • Reply 88 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sounds just like my first girlfriend.

That is too funny....
  • Reply 89 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Sorry. Just tired of the iPad hate. Can't wait till its finally released.

It's.
  • Reply 90 of 126
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    So, it seems like the first shipment of iPads will sell out on day one. How many iPads could that be?

How many iPads will have been sold in total (including online sales) by the end of next Friday? Anyone care to guess?

Are we talking about half a million iPads, or even more?
  • Reply 91 of 126
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Having an SD card slot eliminates the cameras using Compact Flash and XD and Memory Stick. Nope, the iPad Camera Connection Kit is definitely the best option of the lot.

So, interestingly enough, when Apple says, "No, you can't have a choice of whether to run Flash or not. Flash is the past," people applaud and say they're looking towards the future. But when Apple says that they will support fading legacy flash memory formats, you're fine with that. Compactflash is a niche market. Only a handful of cameras still use it, all expensive and bulky "professional" cameras. Consumer cameras have abandoned the format. As of 2010, xD has been abandoned by its two staunchest backers, Olympus and Fujifilm, whose current cameras all accept SD. Likewise, Sony's current consumer lineup all accepts SD in addition to their own more expensive Memory Stick. SD has the economies of scale behind it, with far more competing manufacturers than any other format, making it less expensive for consumers. Seems people don't want to bash Apple for not being "forward-looking" in this case just because it serves their argument.
  • Reply 92 of 126
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Compactflash is a niche market. Only a handful of cameras still use it, all expensive and bulky "professional" cameras. Consumer cameras have abandoned the format.

Being the owner of a Canon EOS 40D, a very popular consumer DSLR, your point sounds moot.

It uses CompactFlash. So does a lot of other popular DSLR's that are just a couple of years old.

Has it occured to you that people may want to be able to use the camera they already own, and not have to go out and buy a brand new camera?

I call that decision from Apple rather "forward looking". Well, it just makes sense, really.
  • Reply 93 of 126
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

Being the owner of a Canon EOS 40D, a very popular consumer DSLR, your point sounds moot.

It uses CompactFlash. So does a lot of other popular DSLR's that are just a couple of years old.

Has it occured to you that people may want to be able to use the camera they already own, and not have to go out and buy a brand new camera?

I call that decision from Apple rather "forward looking". Well, it just makes sense, really.

Oh, really? Moot, huh? You don't think a 6x4x3" camera is bulky? That a camera that costs over $1000 with basic lens isn't for professionals or people who have fantasies of doing "serious photography," the so-called prosumers? If you want to play that game, Canon's own Rebel series uses SD, and I bet they're more popular than the 40D. You won't even find ultrazooms that use CF.

Did it occur to people Apple that people may have wanted to continue using their ADB keyboards and mice rather than have to buy USB ones? That some people wanted to keep using floppy disks? That people wanted to be able to keep visiting the websites they're used to rather than being told, "Too bad. We don't like Flash." Apple has a history of unilateral decisions that may or may not be thinking ahead of the curve, yet as I wrote before, some people won't criticize Apple for not making this one because it suits their argument. BTW, maybe you'd like to take Apple to task for giving preferential treatment to SD in the MBPs rather than supporting all formats. And virtually every other notebook and netbook out there that has media slots.
  • Reply 94 of 126
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Wow... This is really pretty funny. I had pretty much decided that I wasn't interested in the iPad and had my eyes set on the upcoming refresh on the MBP. However, with the horrible and unending delay in waiting for that, I just couldn't put off any longer the need for a second Internet device around the house. We ordered one on Friday and have a confirmed delivery date of 4/3. Looks like we ordered it just in time.

My only real complaint about the iPad is no Flash. Oh well, it will handle all of the other tasks that I need it for and that will be a good thing. Now I can wait patiently for the MBP update, not to mention allow the bank account time to grow to accommodate the new MPB.
  • Reply 95 of 126
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal either way, I don't know. I wonder how well or if solipsism's multi-IO card reader idea would work. Now, if there was a dock-to-USB-mini-B cable and iPad can read from any slot on a standard multi-card reader, that would be pretty nifty.

for something you'd use 1 -2 minutes per day, tops, no it really isn't a big deal. \
  • Reply 96 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

If they added this slot, there would be no need to buy the units with more than 16 GBytes. We'd all just use SD cards for storage.

It's called AirStash.

www.airstash.com
  • Reply 97 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That mockup is slick, as is the site's code, but I do have doubts about that as a viable platform. What is known about FusionGarage as a viable tablet OS? How are they marketing Flash 10.1 when it's not yet released for Android? Will a device that weighs a pound more than the iPad, doesn't have 802.11a/n or any 3G cellular tech, and considerably less battery time fare against a proper tablet?

in a word, poorly.

in a few words, like all the rest.
  • Reply 98 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I was thinking maybe this female-to-female USB adapter would work just as well as the Apple kit:

Plug the (included) iPad USB cable into one end, and your digital camera cable into the other.

If so, it's a $2 solution. Any reason to believe it would not work?
  • Reply 99 of 126
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

At this point, one of the only things that I worry about is having tocarry round a bag full of adaptors for my iPhone, iPad, Sonic Impact music player and my camera. The person who comes up with a universal adaptor is going to make a bundle.

Why would you need to carry a bag full of adapters? You will be able to use the same charger and cord with the iPad as the iPhone. So if you're already carrying an iPhone, you need ZERO more adapters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

JooJoo? Isn't that one of those little gummy candies? Oh, wait...

Solipsism, does it actually run on Android? It just says "browser-based operating system" under tech specs and doesn't seem to actually name it. And in its differences from the iPad you forgot to mention that while it is 1lb heavier, it's also 2" larger. But you only get 4GB for the same $499.

It's always amazing how people talk about their great iPad killers - and it turns out that they're never as good a deal as the iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

So, interestingly enough, when Apple says, "No, you can't have a choice of whether to run Flash or not. Flash is the past," people applaud and say they're looking towards the future. But when Apple says that they will support fading legacy flash memory formats, you're fine with that. Compactflash is a niche market. Only a handful of cameras still use it, all expensive and bulky "professional" cameras. Consumer cameras have abandoned the format. As of 2010, xD has been abandoned by its two staunchest backers, Olympus and Fujifilm, whose current cameras all accept SD. Likewise, Sony's current consumer lineup all accepts SD in addition to their own more expensive Memory Stick. SD has the economies of scale behind it, with far more competing manufacturers than any other format, making it less expensive for consumers. Seems people don't want to bash Apple for not being "forward-looking" in this case just because it serves their argument.

FORWARD LOOKING means realizing that virtually every digital camera ever make (except maybe the Apple QuickTake in 1992) has a USB port. You would use the USB port to transfer the data. That's a lot more convenient than taking the memory card out of the camera all the time, anyway. It doesn't matter whether you have SD, CF or any other memory card format. Plus, when some camera manufacturer comes out with a new memory card format next year, your iPad doesn't become obsolete. The alternative would be to have slots for half a dozen (or more) different memory formats to suit everyone. Plus, it would still become obsolete when a new format comes out.

This is just a silly argument.
  • Reply 100 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I was thinking maybe this female-to-female USB adapter would work just as well as the Apple kit:

image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Plug the (included) iPad USB cable into one end, and your digital camera cable into the other.

If so, it's a $2 solution. Any reason to believe it would not work?

That works, especially if you think you'll need an extra-long USB connection or wish to connect many different types of USB connectors on one end and USB-A on the other.

If you plan on just using one camera or one connection type I'd just spend the same amount for the adapter with the USB-A female on one end and the other USB port on the other. Saves you from having to carry an extra cable around.