Best Buy to offer iPads on launch day, plans April 11th promo?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's no secret that Best Buy is on a short list of select Apple partners who'll be able to offer the iPad to its customers, but new -- albeit unconfirmed -- evidence suggests that the big box retailer may stock the device alongside Apple stores on April 3rd before launching a broader promotion a week later.

A purported screenshot of Best Buy's internal "Apple iPad Launch Playbook" suggests that upwards of 675 of its stores will have stock of the 9.7-inch touch-screen device on Saturday, April 3rd -- the day Apple has designated as the official iPad launch day. It adds that a week later, Best Buy's nationwide circular will feature the device on its cover.

"Apple is launching their new iPad on Saturday, April 3 and Best Buy stores with Apple Shops (about 675 stores) will begin selling them on this day," the memo reads. "A future solution for all Best Buy stores is being discussed. At the time of launch, these products won't be sold on BestBuy.com. At the time of launch, the iPad will only be sold at Apple retail stores, Apple.com and Best Buy Apple Shops."

"On April 11, the iPad will be on the front cover of the ad for all stores even though all stores won't be carrying the units at launch," the memo continues. "Stores that don't carry the iPad at launch should direct customers to the nearest Best Buy Apple Shop."

The memo corroborates an email response from Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on the matter that was obtained by AppleInsider last week. A customer had asked whether the iPad would be available for purchase with Apple's authorized resellers. To this, Jobs replied: "Initially at Apple Retail and online stores and Best Buy."

This omits AT&T retail stores, which are likely to get the iPad treatment when 3G-enabled versions of the device begin shipping in about 30 days. Earlier comments from Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook were also consistent with this approach, with the executive only specifying Best Buy and 'other Apple assisted locations' when asked where the device would be available for sale outside the company's direct channels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    All in all, should be a massive day for Apple, retailers, developers and customers!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Surprise... NOT!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Technically a "SuperStore". Not a "Big Box" store.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Be interesting to see what kind of Apple Party Best Buy intends to have to launch the iPad.

In my area, Best Buy does a poor job of promoting the Mac. They have the Apple Boutique but the computers on display don't have any content. No iLife apps or pro apps are installed. Just Snow Leopard. Makes it hard to see what you can do with a Mac right out of the box. Most people come over, use Safari, look at the price tag, gasp, and head for the PC section.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    if this is a true image, what is the apple app for $79 listed under accessories?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StrangeThingInTheLand View Post

if this is a true image, what is the apple app for $79 listed under accessories?

Might be AppleCare Protection Plan
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I think google wrote the book on Bullying ?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidjl View Post

Might be AppleCare Protection Plan

well we at best buy don't sell AppleCare because for about the same price as AppleCare on most Apple Products we offer Black Tie Protection with Accidental Damage...something that Apple NEVER offers...it's sort of an insurance policy so that if you drop it or get it wet we will get it fixed or replace it...

and before the Trolls come after me...don't assimilate your poor experiences to mean the entire company treats it's customers the way you, your uncle or your grandma got treated in the past...that just makes me so angry...we take care of our customers because they pay our bills and put food in our stomachs at my location...

BTW...

whomever leaked this private company only information I'm sure will be fired real soon because at the bottom of that page it says "Confidential to Best Buy Employees only"

lol

oh well...good luck getting an iPad...I work there and I can't even get one because we are not getting enough of them to allow the employees to buy them...so if I'm upset about anything it would be that...

cuz I would have ordered it the day the ordering process began...now it says shipping date of April 12th, not good enough for me...may have to camp out outside my closest Apple store to get one on release day

peace
  • Reply 9 of 21
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by now4real954 View Post

well we at best buy don't sell AppleCare because for about the same price as AppleCare on most Apple Products we offer Black Tie Protection with Accidental Damage...something that Apple NEVER offers...it's sort of an insurance policy so that if you drop it or get it wet we will get it fixed or replace it...

...may have to camp out outside my closest Apple store to get one on release day

peace

Say one buys an iPad from Best Buy, can that person opt to go to the Apple Store and buy Apple Care? Can the person also use the services of the Genius Bar?

Good luck on getting your iPad--couldn't you have a friend wait @ BB and buy one for you?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Say one buys an iPad from Best Buy, can that person opt to go to the Apple Store and buy Apple Care? Can the person also use the services of the Genius Bar?

Good luck on getting your iPad--couldn't you have a friend wait @ BB and buy one for you?

I can answer the 2nd question. The Genius Bar is open to any Apple products under warranty for warranty work, regardless of where it was purchased. It's also available to any Apple product, even out of warranty, for troubleshooting. I'm sure there is a cut off for really old products — say, a PowerBook running OS 9 and needing help setting up dial-up — but I've seen some really old products brought in to the Bar that are happily looked at by Apple Store staff*.

* I refuse to call them by their title.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can answer the 2nd question. The Genius Bar is open to any Apple products under warranty for warranty work, regardless of where it was purchased. It's also available to any Apple product, even out of warranty, for troubleshooting. I'm sure there is a cut off for really old products ? say, a PowerBook running OS 9 and needing help setting up dial-up ? but I've seen some products brought in and looked at happily by Apple staff*.

* I refuse to call them by they title.

Thanks. Actually it was an open question to help others who would buy outside an Apple Store. If it's the same price, then I would prefer getting it at an Apple Store.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Say one buys an iPad from Best Buy, can that person opt to go to the Apple Store and buy Apple Care?

An AppleCare agreement you get from anywhere will work. Check Dealmac.com for them on sale. You can get one up until the last day of the standard one year warranty.

Quote:

Can the person also use the services of the Genius Bar?

Yes.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

An AppleCare agreement you get from anywhere will work. Check Dealmac.com for them on sale. You can get one up until the last day of the standard one year warranty.

Yes.

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 21
    apple online store is down tonight
  • Reply 15 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

and before the Trolls come after me...don't assimilate your poor experiences to mean the entire company treats it's customers the way you, your uncle or your grandma got treated in the past...that just makes me so angry...we take care of our customers because they pay our bills and put food in our stomachs at my location...

Perhaps if corporate changed their policy away from hiring drugged-up immature teenagers, they wouldn't routinely offer service common to drugged-up immature teenagers? Just a thought.

Quote:

oh well...good luck getting an iPad...I work there and I can't even get one because we are not getting enough of them to allow the employees to buy them...so if I'm upset about anything it would be that...

You haven't worked there very long, or you'd know, as an employee, you have no chance of getting your hands on one for a while.

Quote:

cuz I would have ordered it the day the ordering process began...now it says shipping date of April 12th, not good enough for me...may have to camp out outside my closest Apple store to get one on release day

peace

Unless you reserved one for pickup, I wouldn't bother. You'll be standing in a non-line until 3 PM for no reason. Your best bet would be to show up around 2 pm, and hope there is little to no reservations still to be picked up. By then they may be offering a few sales to the general public. You're probably much better off waiting until the 5th, at which point all the walk-in riff raff will be there.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    This has nothing to do with ipad, just thought it's a funny story:

I had a buddy that worked at Best Buy in the computer section. He said he would go on for about 5 minutes talking to customers, and he could tell when they would zone off, so he would wrap up his lengthy instructional speeches with "Well I'm going to piss in the corner, let me know if you have any questions" and they would always just hear the last bit and say something along the lines of "yeah ok, thanks" lol
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Looks like there will only be 15 iPads being sold at each Best Buy (the ones with Apple mini stores) on April 3. Yikes!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Looks like there will only be 15 iPads being sold at each Best Buy (the ones with Apple mini stores) on April 3. Yikes!

I guess those procrastinators should have pre-ordered--Wonder how many will be available at Apple Stores--more than 15/store I hope.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I guess those procrastinators should have pre-ordered--Wonder how many will be available at Apple Stores--more than 15/store I hope.

Surely. Apple gives precedence to their stores over affiliates, which makes sense as they get more money per unit in their stores and there is always the chance additional purchases might be had from those entering the stores to buy an iPad.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Apple is even selling the iPad at BestBuy's out of the gate, but with only a couple hundred Apple Stores in the US and the the very common change of attitude on the iPad simply from using it for a few minutes perhaps getting demo units in BestBuys makes sense. Even Dan Lyons (aka, Fake Steve Jobs) has completely reversed his stance on the device after using it. While I find this switch funny I'm a bit scared that I'll use it and decide I can't live without it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    no I haven't been there that long...I started the week of Thanksgiving...and in Feb when we got the Apple Department I was promoted because I am an avid apple fanatic and know what I am talking about when it comes to apple products...no one can come close to my knowledge on the subject...FanBOY here yes...

as far as AppleCare...every Apple Product comes with 1 year of AppleCare and 90 days of phone support and in order to get more you have to buy AppleCare...it doesn?t matter if you are the original purchaser or not...during the first year you can get AppleCare services...but for the most part our Black Tie Protection (especially Accidental) is amazing...now don't bring in your laptop after running over it with a car...but normal wear and tear and accidents are covered...and for most of the products the extra coverage is in line with AppleCare but Apple doesn?t cover accidents and water damage we do...

as far as trusting someone with hundreds of my hard earned dollars that aint never gonna happen...not in a million years

and the druggie employees comment was rude...first of all...I know I had to take a drug test in order to be employed by Best Buy and they will even fire you if you have pics on Facebook or MySpace showing someone partaking of underage drinking or drug use...it's happened before

and yes...it does get tedious to explain the benefits of the protection plans to people are too stupid to realize that every company offers some sort of extended warranties for the products they sell that warrant them...and people who are too cheap to protect their investments...I ask people all the time...you don't drive your car without insurance do you? you have insurance on your home don't you? well why would you spend this much money on something that carries as huge of a risk of accidents as a laptop

now as far as the iPad accidental plans are concerned...I am not pleased with the prices they are offering for them and will prob only opt for the one year of accidental only coverage and stick with the 1 year of AppleCare from apple...but as far as I know they allow you to extend the coverage at the end of the warranty period for those too...have to check that tho...

the fact is...the iPad is just screaming for damage to occur to it...it would be like carrying around a dinner plate with you everywhere you go...sooner or later it's gonna get dropped...just a matter of physics...so maybe that is why the plans are expensive for this product...I don't know

anyway...wish me luck on acquiring one of these unicorn devices because I am dying to have it

thanks also for not being hateful and trolling me because I work for Best Buy...I love being the Apple Expert and I feel very important when I'm at work because I am the one they all come to for Apple related questions and concerns...it's really great...always wanted to work at an Apple Store but I don't think I would like being one in a million there when I am the one where I am

and my store is a month behind all the rest in the district and we are number 3 in AppleTV sales only being beaten by Puerto Rico and the busiest store in all of south Florida so I am proud of that...because regardless of what people think the AppleTV is great and I love it

thanks again guys and gals