Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That works, especially if you think you'll need an extra-long USB connection or wish to connect many different types of USB connectors on one end and USB-A on the other.

If you plan on just using one camera or one connection type I'd just spend the same amount for the adapter with the USB-A female on one end and the other USB port on the other. Saves you from having to carry an extra cable around.

I've been trying to find such a thing (for my camera at least) without any success. Two problems. First, the port on my camera is smaller than USB-B, so I don't know what it is. Second, the cable which comes with the camera has a "load" device on it. Not sure what's in that little compartment, but I'd have to assume that it's needed for some reason, and that a generic USB cable even with the right connectors would/might not work.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I've been trying to find such a thing (for my camera at least) without any success. Two problems. First, the port on my camera is smaller than USB-B, so I don't know what it is. Second, the cable which comes with the camera has a "load" device on it. Not sure what's in that little compartment, but I'd have to assume that it's needed for some reason, and that a generic USB cable even with the right connectors would/might not work.

What camera model do you have? It's likely mini- or micro-USB. I know Monoprice offers the mini-USB(m)-to-USB(f) for $1.84. I'm not sure about this load issue you mention.
  • Reply 103 of 126
    Quote:

What camera model do you have? It's likely mini- or micro-USB. I know Monoprice offers the mini-USB(m)-to-USB(f) for $1.84. I'm not sure about this load issue you mention.

A Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. The load is a plastic cylinder on the cable about an inch long and maybe a half inch in diameter. It's fairly heavy, so something is happening inside. I thought USB-B was "mini" USB.
  • Reply 104 of 126
    Quote:

A Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. The load is a plastic cylinder on the cable about an inch long and maybe a half inch in diameter. It's fairly heavy, so something is happening inside. I thought USB-B was "mini" USB.

. . . . . . Micro-USB / Mini-USB / USB-B / USB-A (female) / USB-A (male)
  • Reply 105 of 126
    Perfect illustration, thanks. I was looking for something like that without success.

So, I have a micro-USB female connector on my camera. I'd need micro-USB male at one end and USB-A female at the other, either a short cable or connector. Does anyone make such a beast?

BTW, the load is a Ferrite core. Designed to suppress RF. Probably not strictly needed.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    Quote:

Perfect illustration, thanks. I was looking for something like that without success.

So, I have a micro-USB female connector on my camera. I'd need micro-USB male at one end and USB-A female at the other, either a short cable or connector. Does anyone make such a beast?

BTW, the load is a Ferrite core. Designed to suppress RF. Probably not strictly needed.

• Reply 107 of 126
    Perfect, thanks. Cost almost as much to ship as to buy.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    Quote:

FORWARD LOOKING means realizing that virtually every digital camera ever make (except maybe the Apple QuickTake in 1992) has a USB port. You would use the USB port to transfer the data. That's a lot more convenient than taking the memory card out of the camera all the time, anyway. It doesn't matter whether you have SD, CF or any other memory card format. Plus, when some camera manufacturer comes out with a new memory card format next year, your iPad doesn't become obsolete. The alternative would be to have slots for half a dozen (or more) different memory formats to suit everyone. Plus, it would still become obsolete when a new format comes out.

This is just a silly argument.

If that's the case, why on earth did Apple add an SD card slot on their latest MBPs? That must be BACKWARDS LOOKING.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

If that's the case, why on earth did Apple add an SD card slot on their latest MBPs? That must be BACKWARDS LOOKING.

If the future of most digital cameras would be SD cards -AND- if iPad was designed or was assumed to be used for porting digital images to it by removing said card, then I can see a case for Apple to add an SD card slot to the iPad. As it stands now, that doesn't look to be the case.

However, Macs with SD card slots make sense. I currently use mine for my Mac OS X Restore Disc. Apple made it very easy to use Disk Utility in Snow Leopard to copy the DVD to an SD Card.
  • Reply 110 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Perfect, thanks. Cost almost as much to ship as to buy.

Given the delicacy of those camera micro usb connectors and the relatively large lever afforded by an adapter like that, I would consider getting a short male micro to male USB A cable (like this guy and then a female to female USB A gender changer.

At a buck a piece might even come out cheaper than the adapter.
  • Reply 111 of 126
    Essentially my original plan, but using the original cable that came with the camera. I am a bit wary of the large adapter, at least from the standpoint of whether the bulky end will fit into the fairly restricted location of the camera's USB port.
  • Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Given the delicacy of those camera micro usb connectors and the relatively large lever afforded by an adapter like that, I would consider getting a short male micro to male USB A cable (like this guy and then a female to female USB A gender changer.

At a buck a piece might even come out cheaper than the adapter.

You make a good point. Micro- and Mini-USB are pretty finicky so having a malable cable connecting to it may be smart.

He already has the cable for his camera, the point was minimize the extra by replacing the cable for an adapter, so all he'll need is the USB-A(f)-to-USB-A(f) adapter.
  • Reply 113 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Essentially my original plan, but using the original cable that came with the camera. I am a bit wary of the large adapter, at least from the standpoint of whether the bulky end will fit into the fairly restricted location of the camera's USB port.

Yeah, if it's in its little well like most of them, you probably wouldn't be able to get a good socket-- which is even worse for the errant tap exerting enough lateral force to break something.

From working with countless adapters and dongles and doohickies over the years, I almost never use an adapter/barrel if I can get a short cable, and if at all possible I try to get one with a right angle termination to minimize the cantilever and rotational stress on whatever I'm plugging into.

Most electronic makers don't reinforce the connector to the chassis of the device at all, relying on the solder points to the pc board to keep things in place --which means that it really doesn't take much to crack a contact point. In my experience a lot of CE gear failure can be traced to dead I/O ports done in in just this way.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Kind of goes right back to the Apple kit, or someone else supplying a 30 pin to male micro-USB cable. Probably nobody does that now (I've seen 30 pin to mini-USB for chargers), but not micro.
  • Reply 115 of 126

For those of you requesting an extra connector or slot on the iPad, what about the simple elegance of something like this?

• Reply 116 of 126
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

FORWARD LOOKING means realizing that virtually every digital camera ever make (except maybe the Apple QuickTake in 1992) has a USB port. You would use the USB port to transfer the data. That's a lot more convenient than taking the memory card out of the camera all the time, anyway. It doesn't matter whether you have SD, CF or any other memory card format. Plus, when some camera manufacturer comes out with a new memory card format next year, your iPad doesn't become obsolete. The alternative would be to have slots for half a dozen (or more) different memory formats to suit everyone. Plus, it would still become obsolete when a new format comes out.

This is just a silly argument.

In the industry, that's called "backward compatibility" when you support something that isn't being actively developed in the future, like xD and for the most part, Memory Stick. The fact that you choose to ignore is that camera makers are standardizing on one format. The flash memory format war is over. If you think that SD is going to be replaced by some new, mythical card format in the near future, you're deluded. There will be further evolution of SD, like SDXC, but by the time that's commonplace, we'll be ready for the new 5th gen iPads. The only exceptions are a few cameras designed for pros and pro wannabes who want CF for its greater speed (unnecessary for consumer cameras, even those doing 1080i video recording), supposedly greater ruggedness and the larger form factor that allows easier handling and less risk of dropping with pros who swap cards often. But the advantages are often unrealized with wannabes, who likewise often just stick with one lens on their DSLR.

Again, answer me this: Why is it when Apple restricts choice on something like Flash, you're fine with it, but when you think they don't restrict choice with media cards, you don't complain? Since Apple isn't the one that needs to develop the Flash plug-in, why can't they be "forward-looking" and allow backward compatibility for Flash websites?
  • Reply 117 of 126
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    There was a report that the Apple Store was down early this morning. Wonder if it had anything to do with the report just read on Hardmac @

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/03/...g-based-attack

that the Apple Store was a target of a phishing attack. Use caution if you get an email regarding your order.
  • Reply 118 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

There was a report that the Apple Store was down early this morning. Wonder if it had anything to do with the report just read on Hardmac @

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/03/...g-based-attack

that the Apple Store was a target of a phishing attack. Use caution if you get an email regarding your order.

I'd doubt it. The phishing was email-based and has no barring on the store itself. The user would have to make an error and go to the false site from their email.. Plus, the Saturday night/Sunday morning store maintenance has plenty of precedence.

PS: I understand bringing the store down to generate free press on the internets when new product has arrived, but I don't understand why routine maintenance requires the store to come down. It's not like it's a single AS/400* on the backend.

* I sooo do not miss my days as an AS/400 admin at Bank of America.
  • Reply 119 of 126
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

I'd doubt it. The phishing was email-based and has no barring on the store itself, but user error. Plus, the Saturday night/Sunday morning store maintenance has plenty of precedence.

PS: I understand bringing the store down to generate free press on the internets when new product has arrived but I understand why routine maintenance requires the store to come down. It's not like it's a single AS/400* on the backend.

* I sooo do not miss my days as an AS/400 admin at Bank of America.

Good to know, thanks.
  • Reply 120 of 126
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Oh, really? Moot, huh? You don't think a 6x4x3" camera is bulky? That a camera that costs over $1000 with basic lens isn't for professionals or people who have fantasies of doing "serious photography," the so-called prosumers?

Look, there is more to life than just SD, and the people using such slots are more than likely going to be in the minority anyway. I have no problem with Apple having only the dock connector on the iPad - it won't slow it down one bit for me, nor the millions of others that will buy it. So all this angst over a slot that is, in the grand scheme of things, wholly inconsequential, is rather boring.