Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Pure vanity.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

that's growing OUT of his ear. you know these unwashed vegans and their dirty habits.

Both over and out of the ear. Ick. I don't get it. For a guy who is as anal about affect as Jobs, he sure dropped the ball on this one. What, did they use film and he didn't bother to wait on the negatives? At least that saves him throwing the camera off-stage when he sees his wacky hermit-look.

Yeah, you think some PR person would have taken a Braun to him there. I'm scared.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

...a Winnie the Pooh iBook that will be bundled with every iPad.

In the Apple store near me there is a round table with little red bean bag chairs, each with a iMac and children's software running on each. It's always packed with kids playing while the parents shop.

The iMac has been a success in that home market as a dual use machine, the parents can use it and the kids can get ice cream all over the keyboard.

With the iPad the kids can now take it elsewhere and still remain tethered to the parents machine.

I think Steve has done a wonderful job with the iPad in targeting such a market with their needs and I think it will do wonders for early learners.

I fully expect childrens software to EXPLODE on the iPad and sales to be strong as it's cheaper than a MacBook.

At $500 it's still rather steep for children as they are terribly destructive, but I'm sure ways can be found to restrict the kids use of the device to desks and such as to minimize damage.

I do wish there was some sort of case/screen cover that still allowed the touchscreen to work, as this would protect the iPad and one can just get a new cover to replace the old.

Apple is booting the film screen providers out of Apple Stores, perhaps they are providing a solution of their own.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Why is it that tech billionaires can by anything except a decent haircut?

I guess they have more important things to do but it is a bit funny and unusual.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I just read an article that html5 for video were having problem, so I'm not to sure about the revolution quite yet. I do find it ironic that Apple folks, myself included said please not giant iPod touch and that's what we got or so it seems, that Jobs DID say this was his lifes work and he didn't want to make something that ended up in the bathroom yet this article metions exactly that. I think by rev 3 it will be what it should really be. Fast duo chips, FireWire and support for all codecs, of course the hackers will do that right away.

Go Apple and glad to see Jobs happy and somewhat healthy. Health means everything. Be grateful all who have it.

Can you post the video. I know of no such problem, just the typical hiccups.

For instance, the codec issue that Mozilla is being left behind in because they won't support H.264 despite Google, Apple, MS, Intel are all in the H.264 camp, which even has HW acceleration. Google does offer Og support in Chrome along with H.264 but they are all H.264 along with all the other major video streaming sites due to its superiority.

The other major issue is controls for the video. Sure, the HTML5 video tag makes it easy add video, but you need some complex JS to make it work as easily as Flash. Jilion has a great demo that is near complete. They don't have to be JS, they base controls could be built into the browser app, like they are in mobileSafari, the way any H.264 video will launch into a video player.

i think Flash for video streaming will begin it's decline this year. Flash will be the fall back for older browsers but it won't be the ideal way to play video as we move into the future. Other areas of Flash will be unwavering for the time being.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    It shows how strange the Flash issue has become when a statement like this appears in AI "Time and The New York Times have embraced HTML5 so that iPad owners will be able to view video content." As if Flash was ever required to view video! Flash was for interactive and animated vector based sequences that could incorporate video. The fact it has become perceived as the only way to deliver a simple video stream is very unfortunate. Don't get me wrong I understand why AI phrased it that way, I am just saying ...
  • Reply 26 of 104
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

"Time has partnered with Brightcove to allow HTML5 video to replace Adobe Flash content."

When the leaders move, the rest will follow.

The stampede to HTML5 has begun!

Hopefully a new generation of ad blockers won't be far behind.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    t_kt_k Posts: 11member
    Great photo! Seems like Apple are using Time magazine as their personal house publication
  • Reply 28 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I guess they have more important things to do but it is a bit funny and unusual.

Can you post the video. I know of no such problem, just the typical hiccups.

For instance, the codec issue that Mozilla is being left behind in because they won't support H.264 despite Google, Apple, MS, Intel are all in the H.264 camp, which even has HW acceleration. Google does offer Og support in Chrome along with H.264 but they are all H.264 along with all the other major video streaming sites due to its superiority.

The other major issue is controls for the video. Sure, the HTML5 video tag makes it easy add video, but you need some complex JS to make it work as easily as Flash. Jilion has a great demo that is near complete. They don't have to be JS, they base controls could be built into the browser app, like they are in mobileSafari, the way any H.264 video will launch into a video player.

i think Flash for video streaming will begin it's decline this year. Flash will be the fall back for older browsers but it won't be the ideal way to play video as we move into the future. Other areas of Flash will be unwavering for the time being.

The Sublime Video demo works great on the iPad sim now too, it didn't work last time I tested it. It goes full screen in landscape mode beautifully.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

Thinking in a totally different direction, but curious to all hell... Knowing that the iPad is the next revolutionary device that will "Change the way we interact and compute"... I'm curious as to how far it will be pushed.

For instance, I barely pay attention to Time Magazine, but this issue intrigues me to take more interest. In fact, it's great content like this that would definitely make me become a subscriber to Time on the iPad.

And after looking further into Time, i noticed they have some really great back issues that I would like to read as well... So I'm curious to find out whether or not publications and magazines, like Time, will place back issues of Time on the ibook store. Eh, off topic im sure, but this article spawned me to think... If magazines start putting up back issues as well as current content, shit the ibook store can be the next library of congress x 10.

I've got to agree.

Reading the article, I immediately thought of the last time I picked up a Time magazine (even in a waiting room), as you said "curious as all hell", I can't remember picking up Time or Newsweek in the past few years.

I get all the relevant information/news I want here on "Teh Internet".

Past issues have always fascinated me, in all the magazines I read (did read) from Popular Mechanics to Car & Driver

This is going to get very interesting, way beyond the App Store, the iBook Store may well be an even more interesting visit than The Net, in many ways a coherent grouping of what interests us.

Too fantastic? - maybe.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

The jokes are already pretty bad with a name like iPad but at least Apple's CEO isn't a woman right now "Inside Ashley's Pad"

I'm curious, if the half-wits that make these jokes were on the ball where were the IBM, Lenovo ThinkPad jokes along the same infantile lines?
  • Reply 31 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In many ways, it's the things that are not there that we are most proud of," Ive said in the latest issue of Time. "For us, it is all about refining and refining until it seems like there's nothing between the user and the content they are interacting with."

Spoke like a true artist.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The Sublime Video demo works great on the iPad sim now too, it didn't work last time I tested it. It goes full screen in landscape mode beautifully.

Interesting. I have Beta 3 installed of the SDK and the Sublime video doesn't give me the option to click the play button. This means that Apple has made changes to underlying code, not Jilion, to get this to work.

HTML5 video is going to be big once that damn breaks. I only wonder if anyone will use the Apple created HTTP Live Streaming with it.

edit: SCratch that, it plays fine for me, I didn't give it enough time to load the content, so Sublime must have changed something. Those other sites are looking nice, too, tested on the iPad sim.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Zen and the Art of Stuff.

An excellent summary.

The biggest surprise of the article was Stephen Fry's nervousness at meeting The Steve. Fry is practically a rock star in the UK.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Spoke like a true artist.

Yeah, I think so (but without the LOL)?

I'm just wondering what your point is?
  • Reply 35 of 104
    t_kt_k Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Why so serious?

In the movie 'Objectified', Ive himself makes fun of how seriously he takes design matters (last few seconds)
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

An excellent summary.

The biggest surprise of the article was Stephen Fry's nervousness at meeting The Steve. Fry is practically a rock star in the UK.

It's because Steve is Stephen's Hero, with a capital 'H'

Fry was there at the launch and got to handle 'The Pad'!

Can't remember where I saw the video, but OMG he (Fry) was drooling, just a tad
  • Reply 37 of 104
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

It's because Steve is Stephen's Hero, with a capital 'H'

Fry was there at the launch and got to handle 'The Pad'!

Can't remember where I saw the video, but OMG he (Fry) was drooling, just a tad

Yes, I know, but still -- if anyone is accustomed to adulation... Fry has had so much of it over the years.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I don't think I have any point. It just reminded me of some of my colleagues' the way Ive talked, which basically sound like there's sublime meaning but you couldn't quite touch it. Hence "LOL".
  • Reply 39 of 104
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

Great photo! Seems like Apple are using Time magazine as their personal house publication

More likely the other way around.

Time Mag knows what will sell magazines. They will sell a huge number of this issue.

I never buy Time Magazine.

I will be picking up a copy of this issue when I go out today.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

What's up with that single crazy-long hair over Jobs' left ear in the photo? Why is it that tech billionaires can by anything except a decent haircut?

i noticed it as well...and i'm sure it was intentionally overlooked...they probably had 500 shots to choose from for the cover...