Apple's Steve Jobs graces Time magazine cover for iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,793member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't get Vimeo.com to play on my iPad simulator for the Beta 3 SDK. Can you?
    PS: It's odd that they list all these sites but offer no direct links to them.

Yep the video on the front page - furry creature on motor bike- is running great, goes full screen too.

(SDK Version 3.2 (193.8))

Maybe try recompiling a new browser app in Xcode?

I am not having any luck with www.YouTube.com/html5 on the iPad though!
  • Reply 62 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

Thinking in a totally different direction, but curious to all hell... Knowing that the iPad is the next revolutionary device that will "Change the way we interact and compute"... I'm curious as to how far it will be pushed.

Pretty far - even tho the iTunes store suffers from clutter (which will be addressed eventually undoubtedly by a better search methodology - I'd kill for a question/answer drill down ala: What do you want to do) it's too much of a gold-mine for all manner of developers and companies. If any platform is pushed forward by the "killer-app", then Apple's well on it's way (120 thousand and counting) to finding one.

Or perhaps just having (eventually) the single largest window for all content and apps in history IS the killer app.

It's inevitable either way.
  • Reply 63 of 104
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Pure vanity.

Huh? I thought Steve was routinely criticized for not talking to reporters!

I guess that is still a valid criticism since Steve Fry isn't a reporter. He's much better! Further proof of Jobs taste
  • Reply 64 of 104
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, I know, but still -- if anyone is accustomed to adulation... Fry has had so much of it over the years.

But this is one of the things I love about Fry - he acts, and I think he considers himself, just one of "us".
  • Reply 65 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am not having any luck with www.YouTube.com/html5 on the iPad though!

My best guess is that the code to call the YouTube player on iPhone OS isn't in the Simulator which means that nothing get played.
  • Reply 66 of 104
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Hey, it's Ghandi.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    Was wondering why the reviews started trickling out last night. The daily's could have been embargoed to launch day.

Time Magazine. They're on a schedule, which can't change. They were going to post their review etc - so that was the magic date.

Good LORD do those guys have a symbiotic relationship.
  • Reply 68 of 104
  • Reply 69 of 104
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

What's up with that single crazy-long hair over Jobs' left ear in the photo? Why is it that tech billionaires can by anything except a decent haircut?

Excuse me, but your geek is showing.

If you hadn't noticed by now, that's the currently popular style. Most of us geeks won't be brave enough to sport that type of fro until it is already out of style. At which point, somebody will be here saying, what's up with the helmet head of overly kempt hair?

For an analogous situation, reference the fitting of pants. Every generation thinks the previous and next generations are wearing pants that don't fit. Not only that, but you'd have to be crazy to be wearing pants like that. Tight is the new baggy. Or have we already gone back to baggy again? Shit, my geek is showing too. And no, i'm not young enough to be sporting tight and stretchy "girl pants" while riding a skateboard.

In other words, Jobs is hip. The fact that somebody on these forums is mocking his hair... just proves it.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
  • Reply 71 of 104
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Hey, it's Ghandi.

No, it's Gandhi. (The aspirated 'd')
  • Reply 72 of 104
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    So how did this Fry guy manage to get one of his own iPads before the formal release!?
  • Reply 73 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So how did this Fry guy manage to get one of his own iPads before the formal release!?

Famous Brit, long time Apple and Jobs, combined with being a tech enthusiast who attended the iPad Special Event and interviewed Jobs for Time Magazine. I would have been more surprised if he didn't get one out of that interview.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Technically, a few minutes of Photoshop will take care of that.

Not even a few needed with CS5.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an hourlong talk with Jobs, Fry said the CEO showed "unaffected and engaging" pleasure in showing off a Winnie the Pooh iBook that will be bundled with every iPad.

Wasn't the iPad originally not supposed to include the iBooks application? Has this changed?
  • Reply 76 of 104
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

People don't read anymore.

Also, nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

More likely the other way around.

Time Mag knows what will sell magazines. They will sell a huge number of this issue.

I never buy Time Magazine.

I will be picking up a copy of this issue when I go out today.

Yeah, it looks interesting alright. I used to really like Time. I actually subscribed for a time but had to stop the sub for various reasons. Then I had literally years of pestering from their subs dept. It was crazy. I moved twice during that time and they still found me. It really put me off the mag, which is a shame.

If iTunes will be between us and the mag (in terms of privacy of subscriber info) then I would look at subscribing again.
  • Reply 78 of 104
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jeeves & Wooster, Blackadder, Q.I., Steven Fry in America. I think I've seen every series he's ever been in, which isn't easy for a Yankee.

Yeah, I reckon it must have been real tough...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/stephen-fry-...A283926&page=1
  • Reply 79 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yeah, I reckon it must have been real tough...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/stephen-fry-...A283926&page=1

You're such an idiot.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was just trying to show how much Stephen Fry material was out there.