Apple's iPad Case ships, gets unboxed in high-quality photos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    it looks ok, but i don't like the feel of rubberized stuff, so it's a no go for me.

but i am really really hoping twelve south makes an ipad case. i love their book book. great concept, nice hide.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook/
  • Reply 42 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanM View Post

The case is very disappointing and is certainly not worth $39. The worst part is that when the iPad is in the case the wifi antennae are so shielded that you lose you wi-fi connection. So you can really only use the iPad out of the case. I have already read somewhere how Apple reduced the strength of the wifi to improve the battery, and how the aluminum case (as opposed to plastic for the iPhone) blocks the wifi even more. It only stands to reason that if you put it in a case the wifi will be further reduced in strength, in fact to nil. Tomorrow the case is going to the Apple store for a refund.

The wifi issue and the case has to be your imagination. Regarding the wifi strength I can get full bars at over 100 yards from my house. I think the wifi stories are FUD or they have strange routers. Try an Apple AE they rock.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylurian View Post

As some will know, you can't dock the iPad dock with the case.

I discovered the same today when my case and dock arrived. This is the first disappointment I have had with my iPad. I wonder if the same is true for the keyboard dock?

Mark
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I'm reading reports that the case is extremely tight making it difficult to get the iPad out or back in. Can someone who has the case comment on this?

It went in very easily but I haven't tried to get it out.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    stevejrstevejr Posts: 11member
    i am yet to figure out why people are so nasty in this forum. it's honestly worse here than on sarah palin's facebook wall. obviously different people are going to have different opinions on things, but there's no need to make it so personal.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevejr View Post

i am yet to figure out why people are so nasty in this forum. it's honestly worse here than on sarah palin's facebook wall. obviously different people are going to have different opinions on things, but there's no need to make it so personal.

Were you referring to any particular response? Other than the trolls I have found the regular contributors here over the years to be really nice, knowledgeable and helpful.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    alanmalanm Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you. I was really surprised by the assumption of bad faith. I am pleased if some people are happy with the case. It just does not work for me. There is an issue with wifi strength and if you cover the antenna with a case it drops off. So I will not use a case. It mat be my wifi connection, but what difference dos it make? If I cannot use it, it does not work. I never said that people should not buy the case.

Thanks for your support.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:

Thank you. I was really surprised by the assumption of bad faith. I am pleased if some people are happy with the case. It just does not work for me. There is an issue with wifi strength and if you cover the antenna with a case it drops off. So I will not use a case. It mat be my wifi connection, but what difference dos it make? If I cannot use it, it does not work. I never said that people should not buy the case.

Thanks for your support.

You may have a faulty iPad I guess but even if you do the signal cannot be blocked by the material the case is made of so that is puzzling.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The wifi issue and the case has to be your imagination. Regarding the wifi strength I can get full bars at over 100 yards from my house. I think the wifi stories are FUD or they have strange routers. Try an Apple AE they rock.

How silly are you: my imagination? Simple experiment. I put the iPad in the case -- no wifi. I take it out of the case - wifi. This is not rocket science. If it works for you all well and good. But please don't demean me by saying that I am imagining this. It has already been established that Apple compromised the iPad wifi strength for the sake of the battery. So in the end you look like the one with the deluded imagination.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You're worried about the case, but it is your iPad that needs to be refunded. I'm telling you now, the problem you claim is non-existent with mine.

no value in this comment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

aluminum doesn't cover the wifi antenna. The PLASTIC Apple logo does. Try again hater.

He not hater, just ill informed customer, who misunderstands the issue with WiFI signal strength.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Pretty sure it's not the case and more likely the fact that you're one of these:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...on_issues.html

Take the iPad to Apple for a replacement instead of making ridiculous claims about a leather case.

AlanM ignore the last sentence of this reply, but I would check out the link and make sure that you are have real issue with case concerning WiFI signal, since the Apple strategy was to place the antenna exactly were the Apple logo (plastic) to not have those issues. You should not have issues with leather, so reason for many replies doubting your compliant.

I would not call you hater, since you enjoy Apple products, enjoy and good luck.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You may have a faulty iPad I guess but even if you do the signal cannot be blocked by the material the case is made of so that is puzzling.

I do not have a faulty iPad. Everything works fine on it and I am very pleased with it, apart from putting it in the case. And let me add that there are 3 iPads in my house and none of them is exempt from the problem. This is a known issue. If you do not have the problem, all well and good. There s not reason to be neanderthal abut this.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

no value in this comment.

He not hater, just ill informed customer, who misunderstands the issue with WiFI signal strength.

AlanM ignore the last sentence of this reply, but I would check out the link and make sure that you are have real issue with case concerning WiFI signal, since the Apple strategy was to place the antenna exactly were the Apple logo (plastic) to not have those issues. You should not have issues with leather, so reason for many replies doubting your compliant.

I would not call you hater, since you enjoy Apple products, enjoy and good luck.

Thank you for understanding my plight. But there are two antennae, not just the one behind the logo. I really want this thing to work for everyone. I love it and I think it is a game-changer. I just cannot use the case. That is all that I ma saying and I do not understand why some others are threatened by my saying that. If it works for you fine. The case just does not work for me.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    svkujsvkuj Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bxs6408 View Post

So u may have obtained one or more Sat Apr 3rd but for others that pre-ordered for home delivery they got theirs today. Two different events and AppleInsider is simply discussing today's event. I was please to see the article as I was interested in the review.

Why don't you post your review since you've had yours for 3 days now. Thanks...

I pre-ordered both my iPad and the Apple case. Both were delivered on Saturday, April 3rd. The iPad was delivered by UPS and the case was by FedEx. I guess I was lucky.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Pielframa.com very expensive. Very beautiful --- try blue.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    well I am the Apple Expert at Best Buy Miami Beach...and when I went to work today I was greatly disappointed in the ONE case they sent my location...

first of all the box looked like it had been attacked where the hanging tab was broke and then when I opened the box there was no plastic protecting the case and the case looked as if it had been trampled on in the mad rush at the Lincoln Road South Beach locations opening day...

it looked so bad that I refused to sell it as a new item and placed an open item tag on it...and showed it to a couple people that didn?t even want it at a reduced price...

I'm sorry but I was not pleased with the case...notwithstanding condition of the one I received...it just felt cheap...nothing like the other iPad and Apple branded accessories that I own or sell at the store

this was a total let down for me...hopefully I will get more of them but this one really let me down...

also the fact that I have not received any 3rd party accessories except for the Netbook InCase Sleeves that have hoarded to my Apple Accessories Cart and ZAGG - InvisibleSHIELD Screen Protectors...which seem very nice...the great thing about Zagg screen protectors is there is a lifetime guarantee on them...so they are a sound purchase...and our Best Buy Mobile department is a whiz at installing them and making it look like it's nothing...

ok I'm done moaning and groaning...but I expected something more from an Apple Branded Accessory...it's pretty sad that the Chinese knockoffs on ebay look so much better than this...and much cheaper
  • Reply 56 of 84
    mosxmosx Posts: 26member
    Quote:

When it is flat in the case the typing is not a problem. But he case does not sit well upright for reading. Or in the "wedge" position, where I find that it is even more unstable. I think t is too flimsy.

Whoever suggested a leather case may be on to something, but any thicker covering may impede the work of the antennae. I understand that one antenna is under the apple logo on the back of the iPad.

It has already been established that the wifi strength on the iPad is not as strong as on the iPhone: http://www.9to5mac.com/node/15686. The good news is that this can be remedied by a software adaptation. That may mean, however, shorter battery life.

It's not an established fact. It's a small number of people having issues with their wireless router. I have an iPad and I use a Netgear "Open Source" wireless router running DD WRT and I do not have ANY problems. I pay for a 20Mbps internet connection and I actually get 20Mbps throughput as tested by the Speedtest.net iPhone app on my iPad.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    chppiochppio Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I'm reading reports that the case is extremely tight making it difficult to get the iPad out or back in. Can someone who has the case comment on this?

Victor Agreda, Jr. from TUAW posted a very good video showing how to insert and remove an iPad from the Apple case/sleeve. Their removal technique looks like it will overcome the problem of a tight fit. Here's the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPSLG...layer_embedded

Since I have a 64 GIG WiFi + 3G iPad preordered (along with the "Official" case) I'll have to wait until "late April" to try this technique for myself. Anybody want to guess when, exactly, "late April" is? (Hopefully NOT mid-May!)
  • Reply 58 of 84
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

Pielframa.com very expensive. Very beautiful --- try blue.

That looks pretty good.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Maybe it's just a case of YMMV. I'd like to try mine first though, just to be sure.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    One thing you will find out is the Speakers are covered with this case. It also picks up dirt and shows it quite well. But overall its a good case but the speaker covering is quite inexcusable.