Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

What's the over/under on Apple changing the screen ratio on the MBP to 16:9?

My bet is except for some under the hood changes you aren't going to be able to tell the new MBP from the old. I doubt many will even be able to see a marked speed increase.

There is no way Apple is going to put an i7 in the MBP.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That's. Deal breaker for me buying another 13" MBP. You lose too much screen height for my tastes.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Why not? There's some pretty efficient dual-core i7 chips for laptops these days.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

God, that would really suck..

There's just no other way to say it.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Actually, I'm not even using the VLC player. Just using Quicktime X with the Perian plug-in. Would the VLC player work better? Maybe I'll try it out.

Hey Rob. The Quicktime & Perian combination is the reason you are having problems. Unlike with VLC/Movist, with that combination, Quicktime actually has to scan the entire MKV file before it actually plays it back. You should see what resembles a web video loading progress bar when you first open up a MKV. Once that bar files up, Quicktime will actually play the file fine. That time varies depending on the size of the file though.

Apple might changed this behavior in the future, but you won't experience this with other players right now.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    Quote:

My bet is except for some under the hood changes you aren't going to be able to tell the new MBP from the old. I doubt many will even be able to see a marked speed increase.

You are completely wrong. There is no way they won't use i7.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    absdabsd Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Actually, I'm not even using the VLC player. Just using Quicktime X with the Perian plug-in. Would the VLC player work better? Maybe I'll try it out.

A good codec can also make a difference. To give you an idea, on my media center PC I use CoreAVC. About 2-3 years ago I started doing 1080P mkv files and my old CPU at the time (Core 2 E6300 1.86 Ghz) had some trouble. I bought CoreAVC and it allowed me to play most of 1080p content without trouble. CoreAVC now supports GPU acceleration and takes advantage of my cheapo $70 Geforce 9800 GT card - I can play any Bluray disks and all 1080p content with CPU barely going above 20% utilization, and mostly due to DTS audio re-encoding.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    Quote:

Absurd. What else are they going to use? There will be an i7-620M in those laptops, mark my words.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple last week instated a stay on new retail orders for MacBook Pros as it prepares to introduce the first significant updates to the professional notebook line in over a year...

I coulda told you that. My new MBP arrived here last week
  • Reply 50 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I coulda told you that. My new MBP arrived here last week

You can still return it
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Absurd. What else are they going to use? There will be an i7-620M in those laptops, mark my words.

I think we'll see i3, i5 and i7. They all fit the MB to MBP lines, but there are some other dynamics involved here with the supply constraints so who knows what they'll do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a short term update that will resolve in a special event and case change in under 6 months, but still utilizing the same processor.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    NEWS FLASH!

Apple gets back to doing computers!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absd View Post

A good codec can also make a difference. To give you an idea, on my media center PC I use CoreAVC. About 2-3 years ago I started doing 1080P mkv files and my old CPU at the time (Core 2 E6300 1.86 Ghz) had some trouble. I bought CoreAVC and it allowed me to play most of 1080p content without trouble. CoreAVC now supports GPU acceleration and takes advantage of my cheapo $70 Geforce 9800 GT card - I can play any Bluray disks and all 1080p content with CPU barely going above 20% utilization, and mostly due to DTS audio re-encoding.

Actually, in this case it isn't codec that is the problem. Quicktime is coded to want to know everything that is in a media file. This information is contained in something called an index as part of the file. MKV files don't have an index, so Quicktime has to scan (index) the file. Once the file has been indexed, Quicktime will play the file fine, provided your hardware can support the bandwidth.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yeah. Not to knock VLC (It's great) but I'm really loving Movist; and then along with an installation of Perian as well.

Love Movist as well, but it doesn't seem to like .vob (DVD) files.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

NEWS FLASH!

Apple gets back to doing computers!!!!!!!!

While this is somewhat true, I think and I'm sure you do as well, the iPad and iPhone are both computers...just smaller. I actually think that the iPhone is closer to a desktop os vs. other mobile platforms, since at its core it is Mac OS X. I also think the reason that Snow Leopard was such an optimization release was due mostly to the iPhone OS branch, but their desktop and laptops also greatly benefited. This unified approach is really rare. Apple uses OS X across so many of their products. It ties into Steve Job's statement that OS X would be used for quite sometime. It's robust enough. To even paint a broader stroke, Apple's new manufacturing techniques are being rolled out across most of their hardware. Their unibody process started in the MacBook Air and is now a part of their entire notebook line and now the iPad. Would it surprise anyone if the iPhone has some sort of unibody construction? Their top to bottom approach is actually quite amazingly put together.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    They better not put in I3 on board video in any system over $1000 and not in the $600+ mini.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

They better not put in I3 on board video in any system over $1000 and not in the $600+ mini.

I hope they do use Intel's integrated graphics. Not having dynamic switching between the IGP and GPU is another deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we'll see i3, i5 and i7. They all fit the MB to MBP lines, but there are some other dynamics involved here with the supply constraints so who knows what they'll do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a short term update that will resolve in a special event and case change in under 6 months, but still utilizing the same processor.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant (and I sure hope the i3 will be exclusive to the MB, because that's not exactly a "pro" processor). One thing I know for sure though: they're not going to use C2Ds any longer. AFAIK these things are EOL this summer.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I am at the apple store on 5th ave right now. Should I warn everyone?

They would love that. Cost them sales over something that is not yet confirmed. What if it turns out that the rumors are wrong and the new laptops aren't coming out tomorrow. Or if someone was in the market for a 15 inch and it's just the 13's that are upgraded.

Even if someone buys today and it is released tomorrow, Apple is good about taking them back with no restock fee. Especially if it's only a couple of days later.

as for all the computer cracks, Apple is just going where the market is. The world is going mobile. So they have launched a mobile form, folks wanted a bigger screen on that form, they got it. Doesn't mean that they are forgetting desktops or laptops. They are just trying to give what the market wants. And remember the market is more than geeks. It's your mama's too.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Except for the lowest-end 13.3" MacBook Pro, the white 13.3" MacBooks and the line of MacBook Airs, the MacBook Pro models no longer can be ordered online from Best Buy. Last week I noted that Micro Center was offering instant rebates and prepaid VISA cards on the 13.3" white MacBook 2.26 Ghz, the 13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz and the 21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz. So the channel definitely is being cleared of existing hardware.