Unexpected delays slow delivery of custom-built MacBook Pros, Apple says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    I have a ship date of April 30 for my 15", i7, anti-glare, 8 gigs, 7200 rpm drive. I ordered last Friday from a local vendor - not Apple store. The applecare package arrived this past Tuesday.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post

Ooo, my mistake, reading comprehension fail

Also for the shipping curious, my laptop did this:

Shanghai -> Alaska -> New Jersey -> Massachusetts.

Looking at the tracking info:

Code:

19 Apr 2010 09:10:00 Pudong International Airport Delay Due To Bad Weather. Recovery Action Underway

18 Apr 2010 16:56:57 Pudong International Airport Shipment In Transit.

18 Apr 2010 08:59:27 Pudong International Airport Shipment Received At Transit Point.

17 Apr 2010 23:47:00 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.

17 Apr 2010 23:33:32 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.

I think mine is taking a detour over Mars. Recovery Action sounds to me like they lost it, too, they should change the wording there.

Grump
  • Reply 23 of 83
    I ordered a 15" BTO anti-glare hi-resolution (i7/w/7200HD and 8mb RAM) within 4 hours of the release. Arrived 6 days later - on Monday, April 19th/Early AM - in NYC via FedEx and that was without paying for expedited delivery.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have a ship date of April 30 for my 15", i7, anti-glare, 8 gigs, 7200 rpm drive. I ordered last Friday from a local vendor - not Apple store. The applecare package arrived this past Tuesday.

Applecare came in a separate package?

I've never ordered it before but I did with my MBP...
  • Reply 25 of 83
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    This is odd as there seems to be no pattern for delays. I ordered a 15" CTO i7 with a hi-res screen and 7200 RPM drive the day after they were announced. It arrived two days ago (Wednesday) from China.

I'm in California. I wonder if it's related more to the Volcanic ash than to the actual product.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hopefully Apple will see this demand for anti-glare displays and make it a BTO for the 13" MBP.

But I'm not holding my breath.

As an aside, I kind of wish anti-glare didn't require going hi-res.

For old farts like me, the standard 15" anti-glare resolution from the previous gen MBP was fine.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    The ship date of the 15" MacBook Pro i5 w/ optional WSXGA screen (w/o antiglare) was 3 business days (Hong Kong on-line store). I didn't place my order then because I wanted the delivery to meet my travel schedule.

When I was placing my order in 4/18, the ship date became 5 to 7 business days. It still met my schedule so I placed my order, but the ship date became 4/28 to 4/30 after finished my payment. It's a whole 12-days for me to wait. No matter what happened, I don't like it at all.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Well I ordered 2 MacBook Pro 17" i7 7200 rpm 500gb drive with Antiglare through the online Business Store, on the 13th at 12:30pm. I still have "not yet shipped" on the order. I have called Apple several times, but nobody can tell me exactly why they have not shipped (even though other exact configs ordered after mine have). All they have done is refunded the overnight shipping charge. This is so frustrating.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member
    I ordered a i7 hires 15" with the nonglossy coating on April 14, and it came on April 21. Are we sure that is the real reason?
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Code:

19 Apr 2010 09:10:00 Pudong International Airport Delay Due To Bad Weather. Recovery Action Underway

18 Apr 2010 16:56:57 Pudong International Airport Shipment In Transit.

18 Apr 2010 08:59:27 Pudong International Airport Shipment Received At Transit Point.

17 Apr 2010 23:47:00 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.

17 Apr 2010 23:33:32 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.

I think mine is taking a detour over Mars. Recovery Action sounds to me like they lost it, too, they should change the wording there.

Grump

Something similar happened to me.

April 13: Ordered

April 15: Shipped from Shanghai

April 17: Received in Anchorage, Alaska

NOTHING IN THE SIX DAYS SINCE THEN.

Fed Ex called and told me they don't know where it is, and to contact Apple. I called Apple, and they said they need to wait 3 business days (until Tuesday April 27th) to see if it gets delivered. If not, they'll send me another one and investigate it. *Sigh*

I realize that with the tens of millions of packages sent around the world, some are bound to get delayed...but if I spend $2000 on something, I expect it to get to me on time.

Custom Order: 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, Hi-Res Glossy Display
  • Reply 31 of 83
    I ordered the i7 15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare model a week ago (last Friday, the 16th) with no change in status.

I think Apple under-estimated how popular the anti-glare option would be.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

I ordered a i7 hires 15" with the nonglossy coating on April 14, and it came on April 21. Are we sure that is the real reason?

Did you change anything, such as the memory or hard drive speed? I think they had a built-up stock of anti-glare models in standard config, which is why they could ship those out so fast.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

Same here - BTO 15" i7 with hi-res antiglare, 8gb ram, 7200rpm hard drive - ordered April 14th, in hand from FedEx April 21st.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Ordered my 15 inch MBP a couple of days after launch, got it in 4 days. Specced with 15 inch hires antiglare display, 8GB of ram and 512GB SSD.

I don't think it is a delay, more like they ran out of stock.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    I ordered my 15", i7, HD, 7200 rpm glossy screen (can't help it, I like shiny things) on release day and it took until the 20th, with expedited shipping, but it made it here.

I guess I was lucky.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    jadvjadv Posts: 2member
    I just got my custom 15" HD screen MB Pro yesterday, no delays. The only issue is that my 1TB WD Scorpion Blue fits perfectly in it, but is not recognized? Not sure if it is a firmware issue or a power drain, but I am bummed!
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scvbass3 View Post

Same here - BTO 15" i7 with hi-res antiglare, 8gb ram, 7200rpm hard drive - ordered April 14th, in hand from FedEx April 21st.

I ordered (in USA) 17 I7, 8G, non-glare with 512SSD on April 15, scheduled to arrive April 23, arrived yesterday. Maybe 17 are easier to get?
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Ordered the following on April 15th, 2010:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

MBP 15"HR Glossy WS Display

Shipped on 4/19/2010 and recieved on 4/21/2010.

Shipping route was:

FedEx Shanghai -> Memphis -> Detroit -> my local fedex hub -> my house by 10:30am.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

[CODE]19 Apr 2010 \t09:10:00 \tPudong International Airport \tDelay Due To Bad Weather. Recovery Action Underway

Mine just says "NATURAL DISASTER".
  • Reply 40 of 83
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I don't understand why none of the three 15" MBP models include high res and/or anti glare screens as a standard feature. I would think 15" MBP with better screen would be more popular than offering $2200 i7-based 15" MBP.